Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2016, 18:34   #16
BHPian

Re: Off-roading with the Isuzu D-Max V-Cross 4x4

Today I have visited Trident Isuzu, Bangalore. They do not have a display vehicle, the executive told me, the vehicle is shifted to another showroom (to different state). They are expecting a vehicle in 2nd week of June, then test drive will also be available.

The international specifications of D-Max say about Electronic Stability Control(ESC), Traction Control System (TCS) as safety features which are not mentioned in the v-cross brochure. Does this mean, the Indian version is a cut-down version for pricing it competitively?

I found the below video, which claims new d-max uses TCS instead of LSD. Is the Indian version of v-cross without both LSD and TCS then? I am just curious how is the current v-cross (with out LSD/TCS) comparable with Safari Storme 400 4x4 (with LSD) in terms of performance (especially off-road capability). Can some one please compare.

mohanaj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2016, 13:24   #17
BHPian

Hi @mohanaj

I was going to post this video but you beat me to it.

Does anyone have info if the VCross comes with BTC (Brake Traction Control) as demonstrated in this video and ESC?

Also is there any difference between LSD and BTC or is it just a different name for the same technology?
Old 22nd May 2016, 19:35   #18
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review and this vehicle is definately a game changer, if the Isuzu can get people to start buying it. The plastic bed cover at the rear will provide much security and lockable luggage space besides enhancing the look. The additional weight options can be tried but instead of using it full time, since blackpearl has mentioned that it handled itself well, we can simply use extra weight when going offroad in an OTR. Otherwise, in real life scenario while travelling there would be luggage as it in the bed.
wanderernomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2016, 21:59   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post

Observations off-road:

1. For the inclines we faced, the low end torque seemed to be adequate. But it needed a bit more effort when compared to the Di Bolero
2. In spite of having rear leaf springs, the vehicle does not jump around like a Bolero 4WD
3. Isuzu has gone for 16" rims, so there will be a lot of AT tyre options (tyre size 245/70/R16)
4. The rear wheels lose traction very easily in no load conditions
5. Articulation at the rear could be a bit more, need to check when loaded
6. The rear overhang needs to be kept in mind while tackling steep inclines
7. 4Low 1st gear could be a little more low, without any input (Accelerator,Brake and Clutch) the vehicle seemed to get down a slope faster than the Bolero
8. Rear tow hook has been a bad miss from the manufacturer. Hope they get this fixed in the next iteration
9. I would have been happy with a bit less rear leg space if it could help in reducing the wheelbase length
10. Would loved to have a dedicated gear lever for shifting to 4WD instead of the rotary knob
11. Shifting from 4 Low to 2WD mode took a long time to reflect on the console, though I could feel that the mode had already changed
Nice review BP! There is a Isuzu showroom/workshop on Budge Budge Trunk road enroute the Renault workshop, where I had seen the V Cross up front, and the wheelbase is indeed quite long. How is the visibility from the driver's seat from an off road perspective?
GhostRider28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 14:52   #20
BHPian

Is there any information on an AT version to be launched in this any time in the future?
Old 23rd May 2016, 20:32   #21
BHPian

Thanks for the review.

That flatbed looks huge. A little shaky on that reverse incline, With the wheel going up, but job well done !

I am looking for a pickup or suv for road trips that I usually make, would not mind going with the Isuzu.
deepcdc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 11:35   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMind View Post
How was the back seat on the DMAX ? No one talks about it. Is it comfortable for medium sized adults. I wish the rear seats would recline a couple of inches. That would make this a perfect long distance tourer !

I think I know why they didn't give tow hook in the back. They don't want people using it to tow jugadu trailers.

I wonder what the tow rating is for the indian version.
The back seat on the V-Max is quite comfortable and the leg space is huge. Here is a pic taken by Samba

Off-roading with the Isuzu D-Max V-Cross 4x4-6.jpg

The rear seats don't recline, but I found it quite comfortable. Under-thigh support is adequate for my height (5'10") as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unavowed_X9 View Post
BlackPearl. Nice TD review. As you observed, i too hope thè concerns raised are addressed. Seems to be a good bet. I would still like a better departure angle and a good low range ratio for inclines.
Thanks Unavowed_X9. The low ratio is adequate I feel unless one goes rock-crawling with this. I don't think anything can be done about the departure angle without extensive modifications like chopping off the rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shourya_lahiri View Post
I cant wait to see this one in my rear view mirror,gaining on me, and i will deliberately let off the throttle to get a full view of a pick up which is not a commercial vehicle used to carry poultry.
I can see fancy gypsy owners all set to get their hands on this.. just for the flaunt factor.
Has more torque than the Scorpio, then will some ballast help in avoiding wheelspins?
Yes ballast should help in providing additional traction at the rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopzdoc View Post
Nice review Blackpearl!

I think that V Cross need to be driven some what like a Gypsy while off-roading considering the lack of weight at the rear and the lack of torque at the lower end of the power band. How's the bounce at the rear when driving on road?
Thanks gopzdoc. I did not drive the vehicle on bad roads, but whatever little I drove on road, the ride seemed pretty sorted. My Bolero with rear leaf springs and more weight at the rear bounces a lot more on the same stretch of road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamran Mohsin View Post
Excellent post, look forward to the V Cross.
The trick with the double cabs is like someone pointed out correctly, is to have a bit of a weight. I call it 'the toffee' because it looks like a Toffee. Take an old worn out Truck or a tractor tube. Cut it to size, fill with sand to weight about 150 kgs, maybe 175 kgs and tie both open ends of the tube with para cord or al wire. This is what makes it look like a toffee with the two tied ends in both ends with the sand in between. Now, why a tyre tube and not just a plain sand bag? Sandbag tears and spreads sand all over. The Toffee can be shaped between the two wheel wells, is water proof and does not tear easy. Another experience I have with double cabs is not to put any plastic load bed cover. Instead, spray the load bed with rubberized paint. Plastic load bed hides rust which will start setting in after a few years because there is hardly any breathing space between the plastic cover and the load bed itself. The rubberized paint is also non slip and you can keep spraying as and when needed.
Safe drivings!
Thanks Kamran Mohsin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Excellent review and this vehicle is definately a game changer, if the Isuzu can get people to start buying it. The plastic bed cover at the rear will provide much security and lockable luggage space besides enhancing the look. The additional weight options can be tried but instead of using it full time, since blackpearl has mentioned that it handled itself well, we can simply use extra weight when going offroad in an OTR. Otherwise, in real life scenario while travelling there would be luggage as it in the bed.

Thanks wandernomad. Yes, in real life scenario, the loading bay should have adequate weight and sort out the loss of traction at the rear wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRider28 View Post
Nice review BP! There is a Isuzu showroom/workshop on Budge Budge Trunk road enroute the Renault workshop, where I had seen the V Cross up front, and the wheelbase is indeed quite long. How is the visibility from the driver's seat from an off road perspective?
The visibility is good from the drivers seat. I would say visibility is less than Thar/Bolero but more than Fortuner/Pajero. For you specifically, it is much better than the Duster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvb8530 View Post
Is there any information on an AT version to be launched in this any time in the future?
No idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcdc View Post
Thanks for the review.

That flatbed looks huge. A little shaky on that reverse incline, With the wheel going up, but job well done !

I am looking for a pickup or suv for road trips that I usually make, would not mind going with the Isuzu.
Thanks deepcdc!
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 13:19   #23
BHPian

Excellent review Blackpearl, as always.

The Isuzu D-Max V-Cross is a very capable machine, as it seems from your test drive. Only thing is that one needs to accustom himself/herself with the humongous proportions of this truck.

If I would have got some lacs of spare money and a covered parking space at my current location, this would have been definitely the first D-Max V-cross in Odisha.

Regards

Saubhik
DrivingNirvana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 16:19   #24
Senior - BHPian

Had called the Trident ISUZU Bangalore. Salesperson was very courtesy over the phone and promised to call back once the Demo vehicle arrives at the end of this month. On road price in Blore as of today : 15.56L
Attached Thumbnails
Off-roading with the Isuzu D-Max V-Cross 4x4-f321f02b81b942a0984dfb27b4e232db.jpg  

Off-roading with the Isuzu D-Max V-Cross 4x4-5e028cc57bfc466187a380650e1dfdf1.jpg  

Off-roading with the Isuzu D-Max V-Cross 4x4-00d5d61ca88640e48c82ead81920f09f.jpg  

Off-roading with the Isuzu D-Max V-Cross 4x4-9063ddff98a941388f3c3e60e9964a85.jpg  

Off-roading with the Isuzu D-Max V-Cross 4x4-190b5f811fa34635bfa370d9ab6a7322-1.jpg  

Off-roading with the Isuzu D-Max V-Cross 4x4-3728271864aa4216a16177cf58d8e86d.jpg  

Off-roading with the Isuzu D-Max V-Cross 4x4-91e3f419f31a40fa9435599432706fdb.jpg  

Off-roading with the Isuzu D-Max V-Cross 4x4-7f2463040b0a4c0fa73b23ff5957e08d.jpg  

Off-roading with the Isuzu D-Max V-Cross 4x4-190b5f811fa34635bfa370d9ab6a7322.jpg  

Off-roading with the Isuzu D-Max V-Cross 4x4-ed75a19ff7a341978ca2073edd08f3f6.jpg  

Ramsagar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th May 2016, 02:28   #25
Senior - BHPian

Wow, great review buddy. I have already booked mine in Black. I don't think people who will buy the VCross will be using it for hard core offroading. Yes, for long trips and places where no other 2WD vehicle can take you,this is perfect.
I see that there is no touch screen in this particular vehicle, soil t would be safe to presume that hey will be providing one if needed else one would have to source the model compatible with the steering mounted controls.

Needed mods forth his would be;
1) Tyre upgrade to thicker ATs if not upgrading to o 17".. In which case one would also need rims.
2) Touch screening bro system with integrated reverse camera (very imp) and Navigation.
3) Rear Berliner cover... I'm told the hydraulic one the company is offering is hit and astounding ₹1L. I'd rather wait for someone to
import these kits aftermarket which is sure you o happen, given the popularity this Vehicle is attracting.
4) An Anti Roll Bar
5) A 4-5" suspension lift.
6) Rear Tow Hook
7) Any other thing that catches ones fancy.

For numbers 1 and 2, if one chooses to register and insure the car on ones own, it should save enough money to fit at least number 2 and6, at no added cost to the dealership cost of the vehicle.

Wanted to ask you something,

1) Does it have Hids and DRLs
2) Are there any other colour options for the interiors.

Great Review. By the way mine would come in Black.
V-16 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2016, 11:19   #26
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Test drove the Isuzu D-Max V-Cross 4x4 yesterday at Viraj Isuzu, Pune. It was more of a private affair, not exactly a test drive vehicle. It was a demo vehicle of Isuzu India. The test drive vehicle is yet to come to the dealerships.

The SA took me to a nice off-road trail then an open highway and narrow city roads as well so some quick observations:

Pro's:
+ Looks butch, handsome and one of a kind. I have always been a sucker for pick-up trucks !
+ Comfortable seats with good space.
+ The steering feedback is good and maneuverability is great for such a huge vehicle.
+ Driveability and low-end torque is good.
+ The motor is refined and pulls strongly in any gear. Impressive performance.
+ Overall ergonomics feels plush and the quality levels are great as well. There is nothing crude about the car.
+ The rear bounces just a little with that huge empty load bay and leaf springs, would have been better with some weight in the load bay.
+ I am not a hardcore off-roader but I did some pretty good inclines, sharp descents and kicked off some dust while going sideways (not exactly like a proper RWD sedan though ). The suspension is great, the ride quality amazing and the handling still manages to be in the sweet spot. AT tyres would have further helped.
+ Overall experience of the test drive from Viraj Isuzu.

Con's:
- Size of the vehicle, too huge for urban conditions.
- Beige interiors are a mismatch for this car's character.
- Thin dealer network as on date, parts availability could be a concern.

I had been thinking hard to come up with any other negatives about the car, but simply not able to note any !

The load bay liners, D-Box, Canopy, music system are all optional extras.

The pro's clearly outweigh the con's and the vehicle really impressed me considering I drive a Xenon 4x4 and a Safari 4x4 on a frequent basis. The V-Cross felt leagues ahead !

The V-Cross may not be great off-the-road considering the size of the vehicle but the way it engages a driver is pretty impressive. IIRC this is the only car priced south of a 3-series that has plastered a wide grin on my face, and that's saying a lot about the credentials of the vehicle.

One thing I forgot to ask the SA and missed reading on the forum as well is about the service interval of the car. I will get back to the SA and update it in the thread unless already mentioned.
//M is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 28th May 2016, 19:44   #27
Senior - BHPian

Test Drove the Dmax Vcross at JMD Isuzu in Sanpada today. Here my observations. I have dropped the idea of buying this for multiple reasons, some of it may be relevant to most of you.

1) Steering is hard. I can't live with this in everyday driving. If you had to continuously change directions in this, your hands and shoulders are bound to start paining. I did some U turns and realised, I can't live with this.

2) Clutch is super light but gear shifts are long and notchy. The Handrest comes in between the elbow and you are always trying to figure out a way to shift and not hit the hand rest, coupled with the notchy gearshift, I figured I was concentrating all the time on getting the shifts to go right rather than enjoying the drive. Can't live with this for almost a decade plus that we keep our cars for\

3)The ride is BUMPY. For the driver as well as the passengers, more so for the passengers. Come undulations and your rear passengers are going to be unhappy an unhappy bunch, the driver too will get irritated after a certain time. Not my cup of tea if you ask me.

4) Interiors are nice, proper classy, the beige although is a NO NO but you can't do anything about it.

5) AC is a chiller. Fantastic stuff.

6) Looks VERY BIG and intimidating from any side you look at it.

8) It does not take long for you to get used to the size, within 5 minutes I was at home with respect to the size, even reversing in tight spots with this.

9) Just to compare, We test drove the Fortuner right after the DMAX. I was instantly at home, there was no rear bouncing around, my parents were enjoying it, steering was nice and light. Everything was just perfect. Fortuner customers can never migrate to a Vcross EVER.

8) Would I buy one ? Not a chance. Too many negatives for me to neglect. It just does not most of my bills and I think no everyday user will ever buy this.
humyum is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th May 2016, 03:12   #28
Senior - BHPian

Off-roading with the Isuzu D-Max V-Cross 4x4

I took a TD day before. Was impressed by the suspension. Very impressed though the tears is quite bumpy. Though could not test its off road capabilities nor the articulation, I was happy I've booked it. Does not pull like the Fortuner in the first gear but I managed a wheel spin. Gear shifts very smooth, rear seat space Suoerb. Could have done with a bit more under thigh support. If they are charging 40k for that stupid system, might as well charge 10k more and add navigation and a rear camera to it. Rear camera very important as its 17' long and to park, the camera would be a real boon. Turning radius not great and if one upgrades tyres to 17" will be worse (well, I'll be upgrading) in cabin noise levels very low and the engine purrs. In the other 4 gears the engine is really good. Power delivery very linear. The speed can only be realised with a glance at the speedo. I suppose a remap / piggy back, probably from Petes would make the vehicle drool worthy. AC very good, lots of cubby holes. Electric OVRMs with indicators also good. Materials used for the seats lacks interest. One will have to upgrade the seat covers. Front seats Good all round. Found the steering a bit hard but may be weighted. Steering comes with volume controls so when fixing aftermarket ICE, know what to order. The speakers supplied are crap. Upgrade those too.

Price not changed. All
accessories can be paid for extra. No compulsion to buy any thing. They have a touch screen system, no reverse camera, no navigation for 40k. Bed liner and hydraulic cover 1lakh. Foot step/ rock sliders and chrome package and some other things for 50k so I'm guessing it's like 12.5 for the foot step and almost same for he chrome package.
I paid an additional 50k and I've been told I'll get my vehicle in the first-second week of June.

FAQ:
1) what is the PCD of the vehicle?
2) which beaded rims to put and what would be the cost approximately?
3) which AT tyres to upgrade to. OE-MRFs 245/70/16. Upgrade to 265/65/17. Cost? I'm keen on BF Goodrich ATs or Cooper STTs. Cost availability location of tyres guys?!
3) Accessories to be ordered :
a)Touch screen system with Bluetooth , navigation and reverse camera with parking sensors.
b) snorkel
c) rear tow hook..... Yes it does not come with a rear tow hook or even a towing point so brace up and get it fixed.
d) will add on as soon as it comes to me
PS... Was surprised they asked me to deposit my mobiles with them During the TD???!!! Is this a new launch???? But I'd say full marks to the vehicle !! I'm planning to use this as a daily drive... If i can find a parking place in Mumbai 😁

Last edited by V-16 : 29th May 2016 at 03:20.
V-16 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th June 2016, 18:23   #29

I have been informed that my vcross is expected to arrive around next weekend.

I really want to get this look for my dmax
http://paultan.org/2016/05/23/isuzu-...tion-launched/

If I upgrade to 17inch kill ride quality
if not then what size I should upgrade too
and what size I should upgrade too.

I am sold on this alloy from plati as internationally it comes with 139.7*6
http://www.platiindia.com/py-6042

Any views on plati, shall I look for anyplace else.
parvezshah is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2016, 17:03   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohanaj View Post

I found the below video, which claims new d-max uses TCS instead of LSD. Is the Indian version of v-cross without both LSD and TCS then? I am just curious how is the current v-cross (with out LSD/TCS) comparable with Safari Storme 400 4x4 (with LSD) in terms of performance (especially off-road capability). Can some one please compare.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
Hi @mohanaj

Does anyone have info if the VCross comes with BTC (Brake Traction Control) as demonstrated in this video and ESC?
There is no LSD or BTC being offered in Indian version of V-Cross.
This is a very big let down from Isuzu, you cannot expect to neglect such type of feature in present times when its a very basic ingredient required in a four wheel drive vehicle, even Tata Xenon comes with LSD.
TurboDiesel is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks