Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2017, 16:59   #31
BHPian

Re: Mild offroading with the Tata Hexa & other 4WD / AWD cars

I also follow your channel, Angshuman. Like it.
Old 22nd July 2017, 20:38   #32
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful compilation of the monsoon soft-roading. Is a Jeep compass going to join the troop soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Vehicle: Tata Hexa 4x4 with HT Tyres
At 0:28 of this video, did the Thar get stuck? I heard phrases - "Yeh kya kiya, Yeh kaise kiya?"

I am not an off-roader but I have learnt a lesson that shoes play an important role for any car. Can't go to play tennis with woodland shoes, can't go hiking with tennis shoes.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 16th October 2017 at 08:12. Reason: trimmed quoted post for better readability
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2017, 00:15   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
Wonderful compilation of the monsoon soft-roading. Is a Jeep compass going to join the troop soon?
Thanks jetsetgo08! No idea about Jeep Compass. Till date only Duster AWD and Tata Hexa dealers have allowed us to take their demo vehicles into mud and slush with the understanding that we would not damage the vehicles. If the Jeep dealer allows the Compass to be taken off the road, we will be more than happy Otherwise we will have to wait till somebody buys it and gets brave enough to put the vehicle to test. Watching the videos of Jeep Compass on youtube, it can be safely said that the 4WD/AWD version will not have problem in these places.

Quote:
At 0:28 of this video, did the Thar get stuck? I heard phrases - "Yeh kya kiya, Yeh kaise kiya?"
Yes you are spot on. A Thar ventured into a lot of mud and got stuck. It took us quite sometime to get it out. Unfortunately I don't have any video but there are a few pictures to give an idea.

Mild offroading with the Tata Hexa & other 4WD / AWD cars-dsc_3963.jpg

Mild offroading with the Tata Hexa & other 4WD / AWD cars-dsc_3977.jpg

Quote:
I am not an off-roader but I have learnt a lesson that shoes play an important role for any car. Can't go to play tennis with woodland shoes, can't go hiking with tennis shoes.
Absolutely true, shoes/tyres make a lot of difference. But knowing your vehicle helps immensely as well. At the expense of beating my own drums, I would give an example. Here is a video of my Bolero 4x4 going up a slope. It had HT tyres with the rear ones being almost bald. It still went up this slope in one shot whereas others struggled, some of them with AT Tyres.

I got hold of a few more pics -

Avishek's Scorpio S10 4x4
Mild offroading with the Tata Hexa & other 4WD / AWD cars-dsc_3898.jpg

Mild offroading with the Tata Hexa & other 4WD / AWD cars-dsc_3914.jpg

psurelia's Safari Storme 4x4
Mild offroading with the Tata Hexa & other 4WD / AWD cars-dsc_3918.jpg
BlackPearl is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 00:54   #34
Team-BHP Support

Last Sunday we had the opportunity to see a XUV AWD AT in action in slush and it was a fantastic performance. I could not find any review thread on XUV AT on team-bhp, so posting it here. After the last encounter with the XUV a few weeks back, I was a bit skeptical, but this one proved to be excellent. It had Pirelli Scorpion ATR tyres on it. I drove it for a while as well and it did not feel like it was struggling anywhere. Power delivery was smooth, there was no loss of traction and it was effortless. It got stuck in one place, but even the mighty Thar got stuck

One question, what is the water wading specification of the XUV? Will the depth of water, that is midway up to Bolero's bumper, be too much? There was one place where we could not take the risk. The water level would have just touched the grille of the XUV.

The internet connection has been erratic, hence not able to post the videos right now. Posting a few pics for the time being.

Mild offroading with the Tata Hexa & other 4WD / AWD cars-xuv_awd_at_sumitro_blackpearl_1.jpg

Mild offroading with the Tata Hexa & other 4WD / AWD cars-xuv_awd_at_sumitro_blackpearl_2.jpg

Mild offroading with the Tata Hexa & other 4WD / AWD cars-xuv_awd_at_sumitro_blackpearl_3.jpg

Mild offroading with the Tata Hexa & other 4WD / AWD cars-xuv_awd_at_sumitro_blackpearl_4.jpg

Mild offroading with the Tata Hexa & other 4WD / AWD cars-xuv_awd_at_sumitro_blackpearl_5.jpg

The proud owner Vishwanath, team-bhpian AJ-got-BHP's cousin
Mild offroading with the Tata Hexa & other 4WD / AWD cars-xuv_awd_at_sumitro_blackpearl_6.jpg

Our very own AJ-got-BHP to the rescue
Mild offroading with the Tata Hexa & other 4WD / AWD cars-xuv_awd_at_sumitro_blackpearl_7.jpg

Stuck! so what, even the mighty Thar got stuck
Mild offroading with the Tata Hexa & other 4WD / AWD cars-xuv_awd_at_sumitro_blackpearl_8.jpg

Thar pulling out Thar!
Mild offroading with the Tata Hexa & other 4WD / AWD cars-thar_stuck_sumitro_blackpearl_1.jpg

Mild offroading with the Tata Hexa & other 4WD / AWD cars-xuv_awd_at_sumitro_blackpearl_10.jpg

This is the place where we could not take the risk of driving the XUV.
Mild offroading with the Tata Hexa & other 4WD / AWD cars-bolero_lx_4wd_blackpearl_sumitro_2.jpg

Last edited by BlackPearl : 1st August 2017 at 00:58.
BlackPearl is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 08:36   #35
Team-BHP Support

I would advise against taking XUV and other soft roaders or even Scorpio etc [in deeper water than shown] in the picture. The airbag module may get harmed as well as lots of sensors.

Slush, mud, axle breakers are ok
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 16:59   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I would advise against taking XUV and other soft roaders or even Scorpio etc [in deeper water than shown] in the picture. The airbag module may get harmed as well as lots of sensors.

Slush, mud, axle breakers are ok
Thanks Sheel. Here is a video of the Thars, Scorpio and Bolero going through water. It will give an idea about the depth better.

Videos are usually misleading specially about the slope of the inclines and the amount of slush and mud that the vehicles go through. For those who think after seeing the videos that a 2WD vehicle can perform the same, here is a video of a 2WD XUV 5OO. The AWD XUVs were going through these patches without a problem -

Even this amount of of slush becomes impossible for a 2WD to cross unless carrying a huge amount of momentum -

Last edited by BlackPearl : 4th August 2017 at 17:02.
BlackPearl is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 08:33   #37
BHPian

What a nice and informative thread with some brilliant pictures. It takes a lot of courage to drive your car through such deep water and extremely skilful driving. Though I understand nothing about off roading, it seems you need a really cool head with plenty of patience.
hok kolorob is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2017, 16:33   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hok kolorob View Post
What a nice and informative thread with some brilliant pictures. It takes a lot of courage to drive your car through such deep water and extremely skilful driving. Though I understand nothing about off roading, it seems you need a really cool head with plenty of patience.
Thanks hok kolorob. Such practice drives through deep water with back up vehicles give us confidence on the capabilities of the vehicles and let us take decisions during actual tests that mother nature puts us through. We were confident that our cars would come back without a problem through 2 and half feet of water wading during the flood in North Bengal last month! Here is a video, the first part taken in my Thar's dashcam and the second part in team-bhpian PapaBravo's phone when he was following us in his Duster.

BlackPearl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2017, 07:57   #39
BHPian

Can any Hexa 4X4 owner confirm if Hexa has LSD? If no, then how is the wheel without traction stopped and power transferred to the other wheel, as can be seen in many Hexa experience videos where the Tata guys get two diagonal wheels in the air and power is still transferred to the other two wheels, with these two wheels getting locked.
Old 16th October 2017, 21:12   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
Can any Hexa 4X4 owner confirm if Hexa has LSD? If no, then how is the wheel without traction stopped and power transferred to the other wheel, as can be seen in many Hexa experience videos where the Tata guys get two diagonal wheels in the air and power is still transferred to the other two wheels, with these two wheels getting locked.
Hexa does not have LSD as far as I know. It has got brake traction control that applies braking to the tyre without traction thereby forcing the differential to send torque to the other tyre with traction.
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2017, 21:46   #41
BHPian

Thanks for the clarification. Somewhat similar to Fortuner's Active Traction Control System? How do such systems compare with LSD (not fully lockable diffs) in terms of effectiveness?
nvldvr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2018, 23:25   #42
Senior - BHPian

Very informative thread on the finer points for a noob in off-roading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
One question, what is the water wading specification of the XUV? Will the depth of water, that is midway up to Bolero's bumper, be too much? There was one place where we could not take the risk. The water level would have just touched the grille of the XUV.
I vaguely remember reading it as 450 mm somewhere, but picking the right info from a different thread on TBHP posted by SS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Safari Storme: 300 mm
Safari, Scorpio: 350 mm
XUV-500: 350 mm
Duster: 350 mm
Grand Vitara: 500 mm
Fortuner: 700 mm
Pajero: 600 mm

The links point to source of information. Hope that helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
One day, our friends from a media house were to film offroading, so they came offroading with us. See what happened in Video, they made endless attempts with V Cross, I took XUV to show them how to do it, still they could not do it. Hexa would lose its bumpers here.

[.
Is that the momentum that made the difference? Jus curious

Last edited by Surprise : 4th May 2018 at 23:40.
Surprise is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th May 2018, 23:44   #43
BHPian

Added Endeavour to the list with class leading water wading depth.

Safari Storme: 300 mm
Safari, Scorpio: 350 mm
XUV-500: 350 mm
Duster: 350 mm
Grand Vitara: 500 mm
Fortuner: 700 mm
Pajero: 600 mm
Endeavour: 800 mm
roby_dk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2018, 02:23   #44
Team-BHP Support

About a couple of months back it rained in Kolkata and we got good opportunity to do a bit of off-roading in a nearby field. The XUV and Duster performed beyond our expectations. The link to the video -

BlackPearl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2018, 11:02   #45
BHPian

Nice video. Looks like you already had tow ropes attached to the XUV and the Duster assuming they might not cross it without some help. Surprised to see the Endeavour and Scorpio cross it out easily than the 1st Thar. Was there any specific reason for that to happen with the Thar especially when it came with AT tires?
centaur is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks