Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Old 24th August 2018, 13:40   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Mild offroading with the Tata Hexa & other 4WD / AWD cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
Nice video. Looks like you already had tow ropes attached to the XUV and the Duster assuming they might not cross it without some help. Surprised to see the Endeavour and Scorpio cross it out easily than the 1st Thar. Was there any specific reason for that to happen with the Thar especially when it came with AT tires?
Thanks centaur. Yes we did not think the XUV and Duster would come out of this pit, but they did quite easily. The Duster was shod with HT Tyres, so all the more surprised. The Endeavour and both the Scorpios were carrying much more momentum than the Thar, so they came out more easily than the Thar.
BlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2018, 16:45   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
Nice video. Looks like you already had tow ropes attached to the XUV and the Duster assuming they might not cross it without some help. Surprised to see the Endeavour and Scorpio cross it out easily than the 1st Thar. Was there any specific reason for that to happen with the Thar especially when it came with AT tires?
Correct me if I am wrong. Thar has open center differential and is bound to get bogged down sooner or later. Do Endeavour and Scorpio have lockable center differential? In one of the previous videos, I saw Safari (with all it's bulk) easily crossing slush/mud and I think the reason is, it has LSD.
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2018, 19:19   #48
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Thar has open center differential and is bound to get bogged down sooner or later.
No. It has Borg warner Transfer case.

Quote:
Do Endeavour and Scorpio have lockable center differential?
Scorpio also has Borg warner Transfer case.

Quote:
reason is, it has LSD.
May be. Safari has LSD only at rear.
(Alok) is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2018, 01:57   #49
Senior - BHPian

This has me scratching my head. I simply wouldn't drive an expensive SUV or Thar thru water deeper than 4-6 inches if I could avoid it. The risk of damage is too great.

If I am going to off-road, then I am going to do it in a vehicle well prepped to handle water, dirt, sand, titanoboas and love-sick yaks. The last thing I want to do is expose my undercarriage and electricals to a lot of muddy water.
DirtyDan is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2018, 09:22   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Hexa does not have LSD as far as I know. It has got brake traction control that applies braking to the tyre without traction thereby forcing the differential to send torque to the other tyre with traction.
The SA at TMASS was fairly adamant about the car being decked out in both, front and back LSDs. I am yet to chuck her into situations where this would be required, so I cannot vouch for it.

Of course, in slippery conditions, the brakes and sensors have been ensuring rather surprising grip with the brake-traction-control. You can actually feel the traction being switched around through the feedback from the front wheels.
thedragonreborn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2018, 02:59   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Correct me if I am wrong. Thar has open center differential and is bound to get bogged down sooner or later. Do Endeavour and Scorpio have lockable center differential? In one of the previous videos, I saw Safari (with all it's bulk) easily crossing slush/mud and I think the reason is, it has LSD.
Thar originally came with open diffs at both front and rear, but from 2015 it started coming with rear MLD. Endeavour and Scorpio do not have central diffs, these are part time 4 WDs. Safari comes with LSD at the rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
This has me scratching my head. I simply wouldn't drive an expensive SUV or Thar thru water deeper than 4-6 inches if I could avoid it. The risk of damage is too great.

If I am going to off-road, then I am going to do it in a vehicle well prepped to handle water, dirt, sand, titanoboas and love-sick yaks. The last thing I want to do is expose my undercarriage and electricals to a lot of muddy water.
Not everyone has the opportunity to do off-roading in real life, so they want to have some fun during the weekends and these people are rich
BlackPearl is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2018, 19:04   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
These SUVs are designed to take the abuse to a great extent. Even a normal sedan or hatchback needs to cross 6" of water in Gurgaon on daily basis nowadays.

Please visit Amnshuman Bishnoi's YouTube channel to see how much fun these SUVs can be without spending anything extra on maintenance.
sourabhzen is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2018, 04:54   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
These SUVs are designed to take the abuse to a great extent.
I have owned 7 4X4 vehicles and I am looking for my 8th. I also was a test driver for Dana Corporation in North America for awhile. Part of my job was to break 4X4 vehicles in a controlled way.

I don't have as high opinion of their design and manufacture as you do, it seems.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 10th September 2018 at 04:55.
DirtyDan is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2018, 17:12   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

I hate water wading - even though they make great pictures! I'd drive through it only if i have to! Water will get in everywhere, remove oil and grease and contaminate everything.

After every wading, i will make sure i check diff oils and after a major water wade, i will drain and put new oil. And every time re grease all nipples and underbody oil spray as required.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote