Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2023, 00:58   #1
BHPian

Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN

4Xploring at MSPT, Kanchipuram TN

TL: DR; Participated in the first ever “4x4 Fundamentals” course at MSPT that put my Scorpio-N through its paces.

A teaser

Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN-img_2288.jpeg

Here’s a video compilation of the event:

Prologue

On a fine morning a few weeks back, an instagram notification popped up on my phone. It was from the @mahindraadventure page that read “4x4 Fundamentals MSPT Chennai”. I checked it out, dismissed it and went about my day. I wasn’t too keen to drive one of Mahindra’s souped up Thars through their curated trails. Few days pass by and I get a message from ROG_AK about the same event. He had clarified with the event organisers: this event was curated for customers to bring their own cars and experience its capabilities. I liked the ring of that.

A few days and random chit-chat later, ROG_AK, soumobakshi and I signed up. airguitar joined the bandwagon a couple days later.

The line-up consisted of 3 Scorpio-Ns, all 4x4 D-ATs and airguitar’s Thar D-MT.

Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN-img_2266.jpeg
ROG_AK's Black beast, Scorpio-N 4XPLOR D-AT

Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN-img_2260.jpeg
soumobakshi's most recent toy, Scorpio-N 4XPLOR D-AT

Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN-img_2273.jpeg
airguitar's ride - Thar D-MT

Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN-img_2295.jpeg
My Scorpio-N 4XPLOR D-AT

Last edited by nerd1200 : 29th June 2023 at 07:32.
nerd1200 is online now   (32) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 10:52   #2
BHPian

re: Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN

About MSPT

MSPT or Mahindra SUV Proving Track, is one of the biggest and comprehensive automotive proving grounds owned by an automobile OEM in India. It was started in 2021 and houses the very strategic 4x4 Centre of Excellence where the Mahindra team innovates on creating breakthrough solutions. In 2022, the track was opened up to passionate customers to have a world-class off-roading experience in a specially curated track by the 4x4 COE and Mahindra Adventure teams.

Quote:

MSPT has been developed with an investment of Rs 510 crore and is built over 454 acres of land at Cheyyar SIPCOT Industrial Area. Designed by Spain’s IDIADA (Institut d'Investigació Aplicada de l'Automòbil - Institute for Applied Automotive Research) and built by Larsen and Tubro (L&T), the MSPT is said to be amongst the best such facilities in the world. It took three years for completion of this track.

Some of the interesting highlights of the facility include –
  • The MSPT has more than 20 purpose-built tracks which are fully operational.
  • These include zero percent slope high-speed test track with a 43.7-degree parabolic banking for higher neutral speed testing. In the straight high-speed road, vehicles can reach over 200kph.
  • In addition to that an arrow straight 2km, 11m wide road with zero % longitudinal slope is built for performance and coast down measurements.
  • The circular dynamic platform that spans 250 metres in diameter is meant for vehicle dynamics development and evaluation.
  • A braking pad with six different surfaces, and dry and wet tracks are built to test braking, ABS, ESP and TCS.
  • A general Highway Durability track and a Simulated City track are built for simulating public road durability.
  • An Accelerated test track which has all imaginable bad road surfaces including potholes, undulations, Belgian pavement, cobblestone, rumblers and various kinds of wash board and speed breakers are factored into it.
  • The world out there is unpredictable with storms and floods, MSPT can simulate rain, water wading and water splash. Also, it can simulate dust storms in a chamber.
  • MSPT houses a Full Vehicle corrosion test facility with a humidity chamber.
  • A 4x4 Adventure track that has over 25 obstacles for testing 4X4 and AWD vehicles will ensure that the future Mahindra SUVs are capable off-road as well as on road. More details below
  • Exclusive prototype workshops, health Centre and an administration tower that can house over 200 engineers completes the MSPT facility.
  • MSPT also has its own fuel station.
Quote:
A 4x4 specific off-road track has been built at the MSPT to help enthusiasts and experts gain experience of adventurous terrains. This exclusive facility has multiple off-road set ups like up and down hills (slopes 7, 11, 18, and 35 degree), drive thru forest/woods, riverbeds (0.9m and 1.2m deep), mud, slush, sand, rock beds, sea saw, wooden bridge over river pass, hard and soft articulation, wood logs, railway sleepers, a dead drop etc.
Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN-20210814033149_mahindra_track_aci.jpg

Source - Autocar

Last edited by nerd1200 : 28th June 2023 at 15:42.
nerd1200 is online now   (21) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 11:06   #3
BHPian

Drive to Cheyyar.

The four of us gathered at Kamat, Narsapura’s parking lot by 7AM, had breakfast and charted a path towards Cheyyar that did not involve the regular Chittoor route. airguitar suggested a back road from Palamaner that joins NH48 near Vellore - we’re grateful he did. The tarmac was smooth, windy and scenic. It was a blast to drive on. It was so good that I promised myself to retrace it again in my Polo GT.

Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN-img_20230624_065822_original.jpeg

Little bit of hooning later, we diverted off the highway to mesmerizing views beyond Mordhana dam amidst a little hamlet. The approach roads were mostly unpaved, but that did not bother our SUVs at all.

Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN-img_2226.jpeg

Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN-dsc_6645_original.jpeg

Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN-dsc_66412_original.jpeg

Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN-dsc_6639_original.jpeg

We made it to the outskirts of Kanchipuram, just in time for Lunch at Shri Ramanaas for some delectable Tamil fare

Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN-img_2227.jpeg

The drive from Kanchipuram to Cheyyar was an uneventful one on narrow state highways. We reached MSPT at 1:30PM, dot on time for the registrations.

Last edited by nerd1200 : 28th June 2023 at 15:46.
nerd1200 is online now   (18) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 11:17   #4
BHPian

4x4 Fundamentals Course experience

Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN-img_2234.jpeg

Initial registrations were followed up with medical check and few other formalities prior to the briefing. The introduction and briefing session lasted about an hour before we were asked to jump back into our cars and line-up.

There were 4 Scorpio-Ns and 9 (new) Thars. Scorpio-Ns were asked to line up at the beginning. We were flagged off at about 3PM.

Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN-img_0731_original.jpeg

Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN-img_2229.jpeg

Driving through different trails within the expansive MSPT campus, the marshalls pointed at trails and experiences meant for the more hardcore “Xtreme Adventure” event which has to be done in their Thars. Accounts of it could be experienced via robimahanta’s (Robimahanta's Turbo-Petrol Garage | Polo GTI | BMW M340i | Mahindra Thar), Bibendum90949's (Mahindra Thar : Official Review) and livetodrive’s (Experiencing Mahindra Xtreme Adventure | With a Thar on Mahindra's SUV Proving Track) posts.

Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN-img_2231.jpeg
One of the minor obstacles part of the Xtreme Adventure course

Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN-img_2230.jpeg

Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN-img_2232.jpeg

Last edited by nerd1200 : 28th June 2023 at 15:13.
Old 28th June 2023, 11:18   #5
BHPian

Obstacle: Bush me up

We kicked off the first few obstacles in a convoy, led by our hosts Dhanush and Sohail. It was called the “Bush me Up”. Since the obstacles were targeted towards first time offroaders, they weren’t too difficult or technical. They were carefully curated to familiarize the owners with their vehicle’s 4x4 capabilities, basic off-road techniques, 4H and 4L use cases and to inculcate an idea of basic trail driving. The initial obstacles were random inclines and declines, driving through deep ruts in a way that activates the MLD and even driving sideways tilted through a 30 degree slope.

Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN-img_2244.jpeg

Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN-img_2247.jpeg

Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN-img_0736_original.jpeg

Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN-img_0739_original.jpeg

Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN-img_0745_original.jpeg

Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN-img_2248.jpeg

Last edited by nerd1200 : 28th June 2023 at 12:12.
Old 28th June 2023, 11:22   #6
BHPian

Obstacle: Articulating Awesomeness

The next one was an articulation track called “Articulating Awesomeness”. This was done sequentially. It was quite basic for the Thar and not worrying for the Scorpio-N's either. That doesn’t mean we didn’t have fun though. A testament to that is how our tyres looked after the obstacle.

Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN-img_2276.jpeg

The track:

Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN-img_2251.jpeg

Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN-img_2253.jpeg

soumobakshi giving it go:

Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN-img_2258.jpeg

Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN-img_2259.jpeg

Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN-img_2260.jpeg

Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN-img_2261.jpeg

Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN-img_2262.jpeg

ROG_AK was next:

Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN-img_2263.jpeg

Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN-img_2264.jpeg

Last edited by nerd1200 : 28th June 2023 at 12:21.
Old 28th June 2023, 12:12   #7
BHPian

Obstacle: Articulating Awesomeness (contd.)

Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN-img_2266.jpeg

Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN-img_2267.jpeg

airguitar takes a stab at it:

Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN-img_2271.jpeg

Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN-img_2272.jpeg

Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN-img_2273.jpeg

Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN-img_2274.jpeg

Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN-img_2275.jpeg

The tyres at the end of this obstacle:

Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN-img_2254.jpeg

Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN-img_2255.jpeg

Mr. Gopal, photographing the event on behalf of Mahindra, was absolutely dedicated to the task and left no stones unturned (sometime literally) to get some awesome pics.

Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN-img_2270.jpeg

Last edited by nerd1200 : 28th June 2023 at 12:31.
nerd1200 is online now   (24) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 12:32   #8
BHPian

Obstacle: Parade

One of the most technical obstacles was called the “Parade”. It’s an extreme articulation track built with concrete blocks. The right speed and maintaining the proper line here was key to not damaging the vehicle. 3 out of 4 Scorpio-Ns attempted this successfully (including mine) while 4-5 Thars did it too.

I give it a go:

Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN-img_2289.jpeg

Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN-img_2291.jpeg

Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN-img_2294.jpeg

Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN-img_2295.jpeg

Mr. Bala, head of 4x4 COE at MSPT, was quite pleased with the capabilities of the SUV and I'm sure he'd be feeling proud of what his team have been able to deliver.

Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN-img_2298.jpeg

soumobakshi acing it:

Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN-img_2304.jpeg

Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN-img_2305.jpeg

ROG_AK up next:

Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN-img_2306.jpeg

Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN-img_2307.jpeg

Last edited by nerd1200 : 28th June 2023 at 15:44.
nerd1200 is online now   (20) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 12:44   #9
BHPian

Obstacle: Parade (contd.)

Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN-img_2309.jpeg

The BF Goodrich rubbers clawing their way out and dislodging a few bricks as it went along.

Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN-img_2311.jpeg

Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN-img_2312.jpeg

Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN-img_2314.jpeg

Other Miscellaneous obstacles

There were a few other obstacles, some of which were dedicated for Thars. There was one with a steep incline followed by an even steeper decline designed to test the crawling speeds in low range. We concluding the trail with some deep trench driving, mud splashing and photo ops.

Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN-img_2318.jpeg

The happy bunch.

Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN-img_2321.jpeg

Our SUVs at the end of the drive:

Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN-img_0749_original.jpeg

Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN-img_2330.jpeg

Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN-img_2331.jpeg

It was about 6 when we reached the main building and settled down in the conference room for some tea/coffee and snacks. Munching on some delicious samosas, we discussed various aspects about the cars, trails and 4x4 in general with our hosts. Mr. Bala and his team of experts, Dhanush, Sohail and Saravanan very patiently answered all our queries and also gave meaningful insights about the facility and some of the forthcoming events.

The event concluded with a small ceremony where certificates were handed over followed by a photo-op. It was indeed a memorable experience and it felt good being the first owners ever to drive our own cars at the SUV proving grounds where vehicles such as the Thar, XUV700 and ScorpioN were perfected. At the end of it all, I can confidently say that I am much more aware of the ScorpioN's capabilities off the road than I was at the start of that morning. Since that was the motive of this event, I can say without any reasonable doubt that the event was a resounding success.

The drive back to Bangalore was pretty uneventful through Vellore - Krishnagiri - Hosur and most of us touched base by 1AM. I’m now quite intrigued to participate in the “Xtreme Adventure” course, whenever that happens.

Last edited by nerd1200 : 28th June 2023 at 13:02.
nerd1200 is online now   (49) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 18:58   #10
Team-BHP Support

Moving thread out of Assembly Line to 4x4 Excursions. Thanks a lot for sharing!
graaja is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 10:43   #11
BHPian

Re: Back to the fundamentals | 4XPloring at Mahindra SUV Proving Track, TN

Nice report and video compilation Deb. These experience tracks seem to be very useful for buyers. Nice to see you all having a go in your steeds.
megazoid is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 11:44   #12
BHPian

Nice write up and pics. The vehicles do look awesome when dirty, I must say.
How did it feel taking your new possession into such deep dirt?
Did you encounter any issues with the ScorpioN steering?

Looking forward to my own 1st 4WD excursion.
Mustang Sammy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 14:08   #13
BHPian

Something I'd really love to do. But where do we learn offroading in the NCR area--do you guys have any idea? While I am on the matter of learning, would BHPians advise me on any car driving video channels they find helpful? Thank you. There is an abundance of advice on YouTube, but I am not sure they can be trusted.

I am not a new driver (though for offroading and 4x4s I'd be one). I drive an Scross--still--though I have to part ways with it because of the 10-yr diesel ban in effect in NCR. I tried a Virtus 1.0, and somehow didn't like it.
oldshivabull is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 16:37   #14
BHPian

Dhanush is a D-Bhpian here at Tbhp.
Abbas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 21:38   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Good to see N being made to perform some light exercise

The MSPT + Extreme adventure package is absolutely worth it for a petrol head. Your internal organs will get displaced when they hit ~ 200 kmph on that ~45 degree banked curve and then the extreme adventure section of the track will put the organs back in its place.

It's good fun and you come back with a greater appreciation of the team at work there , passionate set of petrol heads - Bala, Dhanush , Sohail you guys rock.
Kosfactor is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks