Team-BHP - Report - Offroad Training Day at Kelambakkam Quarry
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Excursions (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-excursions/)
-   -   Report - Offroad Training Day at Kelambakkam Quarry (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-excursions/32439-report-offroad-training-day-kelambakkam-quarry-10.html)

Well, Rehaan has said everything there is to say. The spectrum of variants in both materials are too broad to be able to pass judgement here. Even carbon fiber is a plastic but is much stronger than even steel. Samu looks like he is going by research and other Vitara owners' experiences which is a good way to proceed.

Rehaan, nice summary there. With regards to availability of the materials spoken of, I reckon aluminium(not sure what grade) is the easiest to source and fabricate in India.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 675749)
I feel 6mm aluminium will withstand damage better than plastic. I doubt 6mm sheet can break on a rock impact, the plastic one would.

agree: , the aluminium will just bend and can be repaired easily. They are also very light compared to any other sheet metal.

If you are willing to D.I.Y, I know a place in Bangalore where they sell good aluminium sheets at throw away prices. They are supposed to be scrap quality but from what I have seen, they are mostly scratchless and are very good. They are available in various sizes and thicknesses. I bought some sheets to make number plates and switch plates for my Esteem recently.

Let me know if you are interested and I'll be more than happy to take you there or atleast pass on the directions to get there.

Dumb question, do the skid plates actually skid/slide the vehicle a little when they come in contact with a rock? If yes, I think the plastic may not work here. Not sure though, Experts any ideas?

Cheers
Santhosh

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rehaan (Post 676145)
I have to say that common perception would lead most people to believe that "Naturally aluminum/metal is stronger than plastic", but we are dealing with three variables here :

Very nice and informative summary there Rehaan.

There's a write up in today's TOI BLR. I found it bit vague in terms of reporting on this activity.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudra Sen (Post 678641)
There's a write up in today's TOI BLR. I found it bit vague in terms of reporting on this activity.

An article about off-roading? Nothing in my MLR edition.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 678665)
An article about off-roading? Nothing in my MLR edition.

BLR edition with these two pictures. Group photo is cropped to show the group only.

It is an article on Jeep Thrills, but the shots are from this thead...

Have they just lifted the shots? Or taken/spoken to somebody from the team?

Samurai, as you know that this is what we've been talking for some time.. :Frustrati

I just checked with Arka, I think we know what happened. Arka who organised this event, had posted the same photographs in Jeep Thrills. The photos must have been picked up from there.

Jeep Thrills India » Forums » Events » JEEPTHRILLS & Team BHP - 4x4 Training Day (09-12-07)

Guys,

Sorry, in typing out my last post i totally forgot to mention that the pictures in this thread are absolutely superb!!! The pics from the Pros as well as the P&S stuff.

Its adds a whole lot to the meet report, and also archiving for memory's sake when there are a few shutterhappy people in the group.

Im sure there will be a whole new breed of spectacular 4x4 pictures once the rains start! Some really green greens, and make a few fast shutterspeed splashes too?

cya
R

Contact TOI for 1rs for every copy of newpaper which had this pictures.
If they disagree send a legal notice. They cannot publish any pics without permission from photographer

They should certainly agree to pay usual fee, at very least, and to publish a correct attribution.

Won't they scream if they find their work published elsewhere? Of course they will.

But better check carefully with the jeep guys, to make sure no misunderstanding here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 678770)
Contact TOI for 1rs for every copy of newpaper which had this pictures.
If they disagree send a legal notice. They cannot publish any pics without permission from photographer

Being a joint event, these pics were posted both in Team-BHP and Jeep Thrills. TOI must have got it from Jeep Thrills. The photos however belong to Krishna, he has already taken it up with TOI.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom (Post 678826)
But better check carefully with the jeep guys, to make sure no misunderstanding here.

Yes, that would be the right thing to do, although i believe that tifosi has exclusive rights for his photos. No commercial organisation can lift them without his consent.

I was wondering the same thing when i saw the article in the TOI.
There was no mention of TBHP at all in there.