Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2008, 21:00   #151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
I have to say that common perception would lead most people to believe that "Naturally aluminum/metal is stronger than plastic", but we are dealing with three variables here :
1. What alloy of aluminum are we talking about ? Theres such a wide range of alloys with noticably different properties.
2. What plastic are we talking about ? I dont know much about plastics, but i can surely say that there must be more types of "plastics" than alloys of aluminum. Some of which can be incredibly durable.
3. The third variable is strength. "Strong" is a very vague word. There are many different attributes that could make up the word strength, and for every person and every application its a different selection of those attributes. In simple terms, a few of them could be - how much a material flexes without getting permanently damaged, how much a material can flex before it breaks, how much force a material can withstand without deforming, tensile strength, malleability, shear strength, compressive strength etc etc

So my point is, unless we go into the specifics of the materials (im guessing a 6061T alloy for the aluminum -- samurai, any idea?) and compare with the plastic (what kind is the stock GV protection and what kind of aftermarket versions are available?), its really no point arguing about it.

Also, keep in mind strength provided by structure (4th variable actually). For example - If you are comparing a 6mm flat sheet of XYZ to a 3mm ribbed / corrugated sheet of XYZ, the thinner sheet just might take more of a beating.

cya
R

ps - i also remember Mpower saying something about engineered plastics... maybe he can contribute.
Well Said Rehaan..you did what i should have done..anyways thanks..
Old 7th January 2008, 21:01   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post

Taking an indica off-road, recommending plastic skid plates over aluminium ,....
We can't survive without someone like Headers' in the group. :
Didnt get you nitrous..i'm a little thick!!
Old 7th January 2008, 22:17   #153
Senior - BHPian

Guess the bangalore jeepers didnt have photos to match the story .
Cheers!
Old 8th January 2008, 12:08   #154
Senior - BHPian

yeah..i'm there in boht the pictures..!!
Old 21st January 2008, 14:53   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I just checked with Arka, I think we know what happened. Arka who organised this event, had posted the same photographs in Jeep Thrills. The photos must have been picked up from there.

Jeep Thrills India » Forums » Events » JEEPTHRILLS & Team BHP - 4x4 Training Day (09-12-07)

very clearly the post re-directs it to the team-bhp site. Any update from Tifosi on what ToI has said?
Old 22nd January 2008, 14:49   #156
Senior - BHPian

i think the pics were taken from jeep thrills..with arkas permission..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks