Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2008, 21:48   #16
Senior - BHPian

Good little goat, she be

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrnsss View Post
Gypsy is a great example of an excellent offroader that is almost as good as any other off roader even with out LSD or diff locks.

Just the fact that it is so light and its capability to tread softly on any terrain makes it an awesome vehicle. Great pictures
Yeah! What that guy said. Two questions however:

1) Am curious, what kind of tyres do you have?
2) Anyone who knows please reply: If you run in sand are you at risk of getting sand into your drive train and shortening the life of it? I suppose the answer will vary from vehicle to vehicle but I would think that U-joints and any other open joints would get sand in them and wear out.
Old 24th January 2008, 13:27   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post

2) Anyone who knows please reply: If you run in sand are you at risk of getting sand into your drive train and shortening the life of it? I suppose the answer will vary from vehicle to vehicle but I would think that U-joints and any other open joints would get sand in them and wear out.
I have 235/75 R15 Michelins LT-X in my gypsy king.. Also have a set of 215/75 R15 pirelli scorpions..partially worn tyres.

What you say applies in soft sand ..very soft sand which is found in the river beds and in some beaches..

We are supposed to get a complete water wash of the vehicle after such outings and ensure that all important joints are lubricated after the water wash..
Old 24th January 2008, 19:13   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post

Most of the exposed joints, such as UJs and shackes are lubricated by some grease, not oil. If there is sufficient grease, it will not let sand in between moving parts. One has to be careful if oil seals are damaged (i.e. the cars is marks its territory), or if any of the suspension joints are squeaking. also ensure that the rubber boots on the driveshafts are intact.
Old 24th January 2008, 20:17   #19
BHPian

The same is true for rear drum brakes. especially if your car digs in and spins the wheel. The rim will act as a pump and push sand into the drum if the rubber doors closing the brake adjust window is not intact. Same is true for front discs when driving in deep muck and slush.

A good water wash and hecking of the underbody for U joint, propeller shaft rubber boots etc is recommended.
Old 24th January 2008, 20:17   #20
Senior - BHPian

@ DirtyDan --> The tyres on my Gypsy are the same which were there when I bought it : cross-ply on 15 inch rims, retreaded MRF at the rear, and JK in the front. I will be changing them soon.

Sand could get in the joints and cause trouble : what headers has said is absolutely right, a thourough wash especially the under side after beach off roading is a must.

@ rrnsss --> Thanx !

You are right : the light weight of the Gypsy does help in making it such an excellent off-roader.
Old 25th January 2008, 13:40   #21
Senior - BHPian

nice pictures dude, but why are these blu thundre writtn all over. its destroying the beauty of the poto. the potos make u go out & go offroading.
Old 27th January 2008, 07:16   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
nice pictures dude, but why are these blu thundre writtn all over.
I guess..the tiled option with picmarker does not allow you to do otherwise..
Old 30th January 2008, 21:21   #23
Senior - BHPian

Hi Blue Thunder,

Nice pictures. As you pointed out in pictures, Gypsy is a mean machine with off roading capabilities. One of such capabilities is sand driving. On sand you can traverse with 4W high and move faster. Tyre pressure reducing will make a good improvement. means bring down the tyre air pressure by 1/3rd., you will have more traction on sand.

If you care for more off roading, check the link: suzuki_gypsy-india@yahoogroups.com

Gypsy is as powerful as capable as a jeep with 4 WD. you can literally climb rock of 45 degree incline.

I own a 1995 model gypsy and i indulge in off roading regularly in Bangalore.

Good pics
Dwarak
Old 31st January 2008, 22:35   #24
Senior - BHPian

@ dwaraka --> Thanx for the tips; glad that you also own a Gypsy. You should share some of your ownership experiences.
Yes, the Gypsy definitely can go rock climbing . That will probably be my next off-roading adventure : I am planning to drive to some of the stone quarries in and around Chennai.
Old 31st January 2008, 23:37   #25
Senior - BHPian

Nice picks blue thunder. I can see more blue-thunders then Gypsy's.
Old 1st February 2008, 14:20   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
@ dwaraka -->
Yes, the Gypsy definitely can go rock climbing . That will probably be my next off-roading adventure : I am planning to drive to some of the stone quarries in and around Chennai.
The Quarries around chennai is not favorable for rock climbing..they are almost 90 degress atleast 85 or so..hence too steep to try that..

Gypsy cant do more than 60 or 70 deg incline unless you have momentum ..
Old 1st February 2008, 16:17   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
The Quarries around chennai is not favorable for rock climbing..they are almost 90 degress atleast 85 or so..hence too steep to try that..

Gypsy cant do more than 60 or 70 deg incline unless you have momentum ..
Show me a Gypsy (stock) doing even a 45deg incline, forget 60-70deg. True, it is a very capable 4x4, but there are laws of gravity that it cannot bend.
Old 2nd February 2008, 16:58   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa_Kilo View Post
Show me a Gypsy (stock) doing even a 45deg incline, forget 60-70deg. True, it is a very capable 4x4, but there are laws of gravity that it cannot bend.
Show me any tyre (non-track) vehicle even doing 45degree continuous slope....
Old 3rd February 2008, 10:08   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Show me any tyre (non-track) vehicle even doing 45degree continuous slope....
Many off-road vehicles are capable of overcoming 100% slopes, provided they do not break traction. Search youtube for 'tatra truck trials' and you will see.
Most Unimogs, Pinzgauers, some Tatras can scale 100% slopes at max GVW. Infact most military tracked vehicles are limited around 60-70% slopes because of their weight.
Old 4th February 2008, 08:11   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa_Kilo View Post
Agreed..but you could surely do 60 degrees..if it is not too long..say just around 10 m 60deg inclines are possible..have seen it personally..

Next time you are this side of town..and we are on an offroad expedetion..we'll demonstrate..cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks