Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2008, 19:19   #16
Senior - BHPian

Not so bad

Actually after I watched the clip I thought that was pretty good performance for a GV or anything else short of a made for off-road vehicle. I see you slipping back down the hill at one point with the wheels locked. This means that mud was very slippery. Looks like tyres and ground clearance defeated you. The GV was impressive. So was your wife. Does she have a sister?
Old 24th March 2008, 19:21   #17
Senior - BHPian

Next time, call in a tractor. There should be one nearby, with all the paddy fields around. Our tractor at my grandpa's place regularly used to pull out trucks beached in knee high mud during the rainy season.
Old 24th March 2008, 19:39   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Actually after I watched the clip I thought that was pretty good performance for a GV or anything else short of a made for off-road vehicle. I see you slipping back down the hill at one point with the wheels locked. This means that mud was very slippery.
Yeah, this mud is very soft and slippery after a week of rain. It is excavated mud, not a natural hill.

Quote:
Looks like tyres and ground clearance defeated you.
Highway tyres plus reduced breakover angle, in a nutshell.

Quote:
The GV was impressive. So was your wife. Does she have a sister?
There were many ladies present in the video, how did you know which one is my wife? No, she doesn't have a sister.
Old 24th March 2008, 19:51   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Forget highway tires. In mud you can even get stuck with all-terrain tires. You need proper off-road/mud terrain tires.
Old 24th March 2008, 20:13   #20
rippergeo

off road experts! i have a question- If samurai had approached that ridge at a slight angle instead of head on, would that have helped him make the top?

or is that not advisable due to the risk of rolling?

Old 24th March 2008, 20:29   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
off road experts! i have a question- If samurai had approached that ridge at a slight angle instead of head on, would that have helped him make the top?

or is that not advisable due to the risk of rolling?
That is true, I was aware of it. But I was scared of rollover if I don't go up straight.
Old 24th March 2008, 21:00   #22
Senior - BHPian

Just one koshun boss:
Had it been a slightly modded karizma, you would've made it, would you not?

Alot of the terrains can be conquered with our Indian bikes as well, so there you have another weapon to go offroading lone wolf with

j/k nvm!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Yes, it is available. But it does come with certain compromise on handling and warranty gets void.

Surely. No more lone-wolf off-roading, it is better to have another vehicle around that is capable of pulling you out.

The way I got stuck is very similar to what happened to the Land Cruiser in Kelambakkam off-roading event. There the winch equipped Jeep could pull it out in minutes, here it took forever for lack of right equipment.
Old 24th March 2008, 21:22   #23
BHPian

A/T tyres are nearly as useless in mud as H/T tyres, I learned that from hard experience. Gift yourself a set of M/T tyres if you can find them here, otherwise you can get A/T tyres with mud/snow chains.
Old 24th March 2008, 21:25   #24
Senior - BHPian

Samurai

Guess that was a learning experience.

Moral of the story - if you're putting on a show, reherse first. Or did you that already?
Old 24th March 2008, 21:39   #25
Senior - BHPian

Well help could have been near in case there was some tractor nearby. Every day is a learning experience so you will master it soon
Old 24th March 2008, 21:45   #26
BHPian

Samurai, your attempt was remarkable. If not for the skid plates you would have definitely made it. It the ground was not wet and soft due to the continuous rains I feel you would have made it inspite of the skid plates affecting the GC.
Hats off to you for attempting all the same.
Keep up the spirit and inspire us.
Old 24th March 2008, 21:58   #27
Team-BHP Support

NUTS. absolute nuts!! good effort though

Get tyres but be ready to loose out if you are planning to do fast tarmac, esp in rains. I dont know how feasible it is, but try getting a set of off roaders on steel rim as spare for such antics. This way even good second hand rubber can also work out.
Old 24th March 2008, 22:10   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Samurai,

How far is that goddam hill from Bangalore? My Gurkha will be here on April 10th and I decided to go for the MRF Sandgrip tires. It's pay back time from the Gurkha family. !!
Old 24th March 2008, 22:27   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Samurai,

How far is that goddam hill from Bangalore? My Gurkha will be here on April 10th and I decided to go for the MRF Sandgrip tires. It's pay back time from the Gurkha family. !!
You're gonna beat the Samurai with a Gurkha? Damn I gotta see this.
Old 24th March 2008, 23:30   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Samurai,

Have a look at Michelin XZL 7.50R16 before you go for the MRFs. They should be better. Which model are you getting?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks