Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2008, 11:01   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Tell us about how you felt doing it. Were you scared? Were there moments where the tyres start slipping causing your heart to pop into your mouth!!
Scared. YES..!!! but that fear is also the motivation to do it. One needs to perfectly understand the limits/capabilities of his machine and also his ability/skills. This is NO place to show off.

In this rock climb, there is NO way you can have momentum at the base of the rock because of the bushes and the base of the rock is approx 1-2 ft higher than the ground around it.

So one has to go at crawling speed and then maintain momentum. If yu loose momentum or stall half way up -- you are toast .

See the picture below. The oval/circled part of the hill has a undulation and kind of a step that one has to be aware of. In actual climb this can get you some jitters.

Also, the arrow points out to the approach one can take. the approach from cross marks can't be taken to avoid the undulation in the hill.

Pictures of Off-Road jaunts around Bangalore-5.jpg

But yes, first time it looks scary. Next time, it's a piece of cake. (that would be true for most terrains)

Cheers,
khan_sultan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2008, 11:12   #32
DKG
Senior - BHPian

A 60% incline is way too steep. I would never say its a piece of cake! You guys must be really good with your machines to do it confidently.

All the same those are some wild shots. I however would love to spend a couple of days in the trails you have shown us in shots in the Coorg OTR. That place is simply awesome Shahnawaz. I will be troubling you to take me there once I get myself a 4x4. Lovely stuff

I think between you and Samurai all of us enthusiasts have some terrific terrain to explore considering you guys frequent these places. The western mountain range looks like its emerging as the offroad capital of India!

Last edited by DKG : 29th August 2008 at 11:15.
Old 29th August 2008, 11:19   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
A 60% incline is way too steep...
That's just a guesstimate to convey the difficulty. It could be 45 or whatever.

Quote:
All the same those are some wild shots. I however would love to spend a couple of days in the trails you have shown us in shots in the Coorg OTR. That place is simply awesome Shahnawaz. I will be troubling you to take me there once I get myself a 4x4. Lovely stuff
Most welcome -- however it will be fun only when it rains cats and dogs. Without rains it NO fun. So it would have to be next years rainy season. Already waiting for it. :-)

Quote:
I think between you and Samurai all of us enthusiasts have some terrific terrain to explore considering you guys frequent these places. The western mountain range looks like its emerging as the offroad capital of India!
You bet. we are really lucky and privileged to have such wonderful off-road terrain to explore and have fun with.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 29th August 2008 at 11:32.
Old 29th August 2008, 19:58   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
OK, this one was near Pearl Valley Bangalore during March this year. One of the good and exciting OTR jaunts. You know, once you camp and cook food and have a nice OTR, you don't feel like coming back to civilization.

Attachment 43078

I'm drooling for more of this. Amazing stuff. You guys seem to really have had a blast. By the way, is that Rohit's Scorpio in one of the pictures at the campsite?

Cheers,
Old 29th August 2008, 20:13   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshun View Post
...By the way, is that Rohit's Scorpio in one of the pictures at the campsite?
Yes. Rohit Mendiratta joined for 1 or 2 OTR's in his Scorpio with wifey and son. Must say that he had a blast of a time.

Last I heard was that he was thinking of getting an extra parking so that he could buy a 4x4

Cheers,
Old 29th August 2008, 21:49   #36
BHPian

Hi Shahnawaz,

Quote:
This was the also OTR, where one of the jeepers broke his steering wheel rod into 2 . (IIRC, member vaspro has bought that MM540 now)
Yes its the same Jeep. I think the picture below is from same Ramanagaram OTR (sorry i couldnt resist posting this picture again )

Pictures of Off-Road jaunts around Bangalore-hill-climb.jpg

Cheers!
Vaspro
vaspro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2008, 21:50   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, vaspro. The picture is from the same OTR.

So you all set with this jeep now?

Cheers,
Old 29th August 2008, 21:55   #38
BHPian

Nope sir, i couldnt take it from Shekhar yet. I was so busy with my work

Tomorrow i am taking it for the first time. Planning to you meet you on 3rd Sep.

Cheers
-Vaspro
Old 29th August 2008, 21:57   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaspro View Post
....Planning to you meet you on 3rd Sep.
Sssshhhhhhhhhhh..... Vinay will kill you.

Why don't you go for this Sunday, Chodemahalli, off Sarjapur OTR? It will be good. Get in touch with Dwarak. check the jeep_thrills yahoo group for more details.

Cheers,

Last edited by khan_sultan : 29th August 2008 at 21:59.
Old 30th August 2008, 16:07   #40
Senior - BHPian

Khan bhai,
Wonderful pictures, i have seen few in jeep thrills, but a compilation of so many OTR's together made the difference. Keep posting! Treat to watch 4x4's in action

regards
vinod
Old 2nd September 2008, 18:06   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
...i have seen few in jeep thrills, but a compilation of so many OTR's together made the difference. Keep posting! Treat to watch 4x4's in action...
yes, some of these would have been shared by me/others in jeep_thrills/Gypsy group, but there only a limited set of 'hard core jeepers' get to see it. I thought of sharing them here also to make people aware of the different OTR terrains/jaunts that we have done in past around Bangalore.

This way, i think, the 4x4/OTR can become more broad based and generate increased interest in many more people to venture into such activity.

Cheers,
Old 2nd September 2008, 22:42   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Thipagondahalli (Magadi Road) OTR

These are pictures from the Thipagondahalli OTR from Dec 07. This terrain is located some ~50 Kms on Magadi road and is one of the most treacherous OTR terrains.

The terrain is very very rocky with sharp and edgy stones jutting out almost every where on this terrain combined with some sharp turns/inclines/descent. Such terrain is 'pure torture' for the under body, oil sump etc.

The sharp turns are hell with 4x4 body being scrapped and on top of this, when you finish the rocky stones etc, you run into some sharp bushes which ensure that your 4x4's body gets a proper scrubbing massage from the thorns & branches. Many a OVRM has been lost/damaged here (I lost 2 of my BIG OVRMS damaged 100% here)

Almost always, one or more 4x4 has fallen victim on this OTR and has been severely battered and has had to be towed back to civilization. Not only towed back, we have first had to ensure that the damaged 4x4 was successfully taken out from the OTR spot. This means that the towing vehicle had to literally pull itself + the towed vehicle over this OTR terrain in the way back. Let me tell you, it is NO small feat and takes guts, courage for the jeeper to do so.

These rocky stones/edges in this picture do not convey even 10% of the technical difficulty they pose -- considering that while going it is a descent and coming back this turns into an ascent. (Now imagine towing a 4x4 back on this terrain)
Pictures of Off-Road jaunts around Bangalore-dsc00153.jpg

Pictures of Off-Road jaunts around Bangalore-dsc00193.jpg

How do I get out of here?
Pictures of Off-Road jaunts around Bangalore-dsc00289.jpg

A jeep getting a proper scrubbing massage for it's body
Pictures of Off-Road jaunts around Bangalore-dsc00174.jpg

A damaged oilsump -- game over
Pictures of Off-Road jaunts around Bangalore-dsc00402.jpg

Being pushed to a safe spot for parking so that it can be towed back while returning.
Pictures of Off-Road jaunts around Bangalore-dsc00405.jpg

However, there are parts of this terrain that are just pure bliss from a place point of view. just being there is soooo much fun.

Pictures of Off-Road jaunts around Bangalore-dsc00201.jpg

Pictures of Off-Road jaunts around Bangalore-dsc00262.jpg

Cheers,

Last edited by khan_sultan : 2nd September 2008 at 22:50.
Old 2nd September 2008, 23:26   #43
Senior - BHPian

OMG - now this is what you call challenging! It requires some guts to go out there - I'm all the more impressed because I cant stand heights (I go dizzy). KBV/KRO registrations - what are south Kerala vehicles doing there? Did they come over for the meet or are the vehicles based in and around B'lore?

You guys ROCK!
Steeroid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2008, 23:29   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
...KBV/KRO registrations - what are south Kerala vehicles doing there? Did they come over for the meet or are the vehicles based in and around B'lore?..
They are based in Bangalore and belong to the Bangalore jeepers. All these OTR jaunts (except Coorg) are morning to evening OTR jaunts around Bangalore and mostly attended by the local jeepers only.

Cheers,

Last edited by khan_sultan : 2nd September 2008 at 23:30.
khan_sultan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2008, 12:25   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How do I get out of here?
Attachment 44892
OMG , How did he make it from there? Did he? Or it has to be towed?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks