Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2015, 19:44   #616
Senior - BHPian

Re: Snakes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
They say there is no cure if bitten by a rat snake... mainly because there is no need for any cure.

I have many coconut trees in my home compound, and there are 100s of coconut trees around my mom's house. This is not really a cause for concern. Rat snakes are entirely harmless to humans.
I agree, have many of them around, a few as long as 6-8 feet.
We are used to them now, at times when inside, we catch them and release them in their natural habitat.
Old 4th November 2015, 05:28   #617

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
let monsoon come we will have these slimy creatures all over our place sometimes inside too

bandaid Krait being common(Deadly poisonous)
keep a hockey handy
even i am animal lover but cant risk out our and pets lives
@akshay4587 sent you an email about questions for Thar. Can we talk?
Old 9th November 2015, 13:50   #618
BHPian

Last week, due to a few farms being cut in the adjacent village, our office compound witnessed a few snakes. Could not see any snake myself for real but heard that security people found a small snake trying to enter inside the glass door of office. Eventually out of panic they killed it.

It was disheartening to see that humans taking such steps out of panic. Escalated this with the security seniors and asked them to have a proper process where they do not need to kill them and still get rid of them.
Old 26th January 2016, 21:27   #619
Senior - BHPian

This fellow was out early in the morning (6AM) or so and was trying to sneak into the stilt parking area of an apartment complex in our community when he was spotted. And promptly killed by the security staff. It did put up a good fight. Looks to me like a Russels viper, but will leave the final take to the experts.
Snakes!-img20160122wa0002.jpg

An article on how it accounts for many deaths and how it gets confused with a python.
http://indianexpress.com/article/lif...ffects-humans/

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 26th January 2016 at 21:52.
supremeBaleno is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2016, 00:43   #620
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
An article on how it accounts for many deaths and how it gets confused with a python.
http://indianexpress.com/article/lif...ffects-humans/
A BHPian himself made that mistake and tried to pick up a russel's viper. He didn't know until he posted his travelogue and others IDed the snake from the photo.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...ml#post1649477 (Srisailam, rewarded after a 22Km trek.)
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2016, 17:09   #621
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
This fellow was out early in the morning (6AM) or so and was trying to sneak into the stilt parking area of an apartment complex in our community when he was spotted. And promptly killed by the security staff. It did put up a good fight. Looks to me like a Russels viper, but will leave the final take to the experts.
That's indeed a Russell's viper. A pity that it was killed.
Old 22nd February 2016, 10:20   #622
BHPian

Hi,

At my in laws place, which is right in the heart of kollam city, we have been frequently visited by snakes.

First there was a cobra, parked below the car in the porch, then a viper, a rat snake, but all of them were out of the house, this time a cobra made its way into the kitchen, and was coiled up on the kitchen door!

I was under the opinion that snakes cannot move much on marble floors, as it is slippery for them.

We have now got fitted wire meshes on the doors.

Any other thing that we can do to prevent them from entering the house?

Regards
Shailesh
Old 22nd February 2016, 10:58   #623
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire View Post
I was under the opinion that snakes cannot move much on marble floors, as it is slippery for them.
Snakes don't like smooth floors or clean rooms. Keeping the house clean with no hiding places, is a good policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire View Post
Any other thing that we can do to prevent them from entering the house?
Snakes enter the houses following their prey. If you ensure rats or frogs can't enter the house, snakes won't enter either.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2016, 01:57   #624
BHPian

Guys,

Can any of the experts here identify this snake? It was killed in my colony yesterday, and no one knows what snake this is. I haven't had any luck finding out the species despite all my searches online.

Snakes!-1.jpg
Snakes!-2.jpg
Snakes!-3.jpg

Before anyone pounces on me, the snake was already killed by my brother when a neighbor got frightened by it, and before I found out about it, so I took these photos to identify it. Would be good to know for my own information.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Joxster : 26th February 2016 at 01:59.
Old 21st May 2016, 09:20   #625
Senior - BHPian

Guys I need help in identifying this snake. This snake lives inside our factory campus and has been around for a while. It was only yesterday that I could get close enough to get a decent photo. It normally lives inside our rain water harvesting sump but managed to come out as the sump over flowed due to the heavy rains. To my novice eyes it looks like a rat snake but I could be wong. TIA.
Attached Thumbnails
Snakes!-wp_20160520_14_19_02_pro.jpg  

vikram_d is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2016, 14:56   #626
Team-BHP Support

The fact that it is on a tree, itself confirm it is rat snake. I am not aware of any venomous Indian snakes that climbs anywhere.
Samurai is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st May 2016, 17:10   #627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
Guys,

Can any of the experts here identify this snake? It was killed in my colony yesterday, and no one knows what snake this is. I haven't had any luck finding out the species despite all my searches online.

Attachment 1480467

Thanks in advance
Looks like a Banded Racer Snake. Non Venomous snake that eats frogs and eggs. Sad to see it being killed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Guys I need help in identifying this snake. This snake lives inside our factory campus and has been around for a while. It was only yesterday that I could get close enough to get a decent photo. It normally lives inside our rain water harvesting sump but managed to come out as the sump over flowed due to the heavy rains. To my novice eyes it looks like a rat snake but I could be wong. TIA.
It's a Striped keelback snake as far as i know. A picture of the head would have confirmed it otherwise. Keelbacks are water snakes, live in swampy/ marshy wet areas where there are lot of frogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The fact that it is on a tree, itself confirm it is rat snake. I am not aware of any venomous Indian snakes that climbs anywhere.
A common misconception. Snakes are excellent climbers. There are various venomous snakes that dwell on the trees and land at the same time. Pit Vipers, Kraits and cobras are the best examples.
hakunabatata is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2016, 11:45   #628
Team-BHP Support

Came across this very interesting article;
http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20160...8&kwp_1=308321

I have always wondered why these snakes can pack so much power in their venom.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2016, 12:53   #629
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
Guys,

Poor thing. I don't know why humans think they have divine right to murder any other species whenever they like.
Old 7th July 2016, 11:16   #630
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

Poor thing. I don't know why humans think they have divine right to murder any other species whenever they like.
Personally shankar, answer is actually a lot simpler than you can imagine !!

Uneducated Souls, Un-evolved Beliefs, Ignorant Actions, Senseless Thoughts, Nature-less Country and Future-less Life

In short, just Being a Human.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 7th July 2016 at 11:20.
Vik0728 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks