Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2018, 20:02   #766
Team-BHP Support

Re: Snakes!

Looks like my pet Russell Viper visited the UIDAI data center (Tatanagar Road) to get herself an Aadhaar card. Video taken at parking lot (my friend works there).

Old 27th December 2018, 16:50   #767
Team-BHP Support

My friend who works at UIDAI forwarded these videos via whatsapp -> cobras this time at UIDAI data center, Bangalore.

Old 27th December 2018, 17:46   #768
BHPian

Isn't there a Hiranandani coming up around in this area of Tatanagar? They are even scaring the snakes away!

If there was a baby-snake around, wouldn't they be better served by tracking it all the way to its home thereby giving away its hideout and possibly more of them (babies and eggs) could be unearthed from there?

OT - A long time Bangalorean was once mentioning that entry of Hiranandani was originally among the reasons for artificially high real estate prices in B'lore.
Old 28th December 2018, 10:34   #769
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
Isn't there a Hiranandani coming up around in this area of Tatanagar? They are even scaring the snakes away!

If there was a baby-snake around, wouldn't they be better served by tracking it all the way to its home thereby giving away its hideout and possibly more of them (babies and eggs) could be unearthed from there?

OT - A long time Bangalorean was once mentioning that entry of Hiranandani was originally among the reasons for artificially high real estate prices in B'lore.
My in laws house is in Tata nagar. Where now there is a hiranandani high rise and UIDAI, there used to be a marsh land. Maybe this snake had a nostalgia moment .
Old 3rd January 2019, 23:17   #770
Team-BHP Support

Found tonight at our office parking lot. Just a python trying to hobnob with the python programmers at our office. The python programmers didn't reciprocate since they couldn't ID the snake in time.

Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 10:32   #771
BHPian

This one was caught last month in our apartment complex. It's a baby Trinket as per the snake catcher. There could be few more around as per him. Good thing is that we have a couple of snake catchers living in our complex itself.
Attached Thumbnails
Snakes!-fcde44381f1c4a37b9def45b9eee5535.jpg  

Old 4th January 2019, 11:27   #772
Senior - BHPian

Seen about three from my car.

First instance was when I was driving back home in the night, with a friend riding shotgun, through an off beat route that has dense vegetation on both sides.

The snake came into view just as I straightened out after a curve. I braked hard, afraid the snake had already come under the front wheels, but after the car stopped, we saw it slither away into the bushes.

The second instance was near Talegaon, the road near the military establishment. This was a long snake and being daylight, I spotted it on time. But it was too fast for the others to see much. Must have been about 4 to 5 feet long.

The third was a tragic sight of a young snake running helter skelter at a busy junction near my town, being run over by vehicles which were simply unaware of it due to the heavy traffic, and finally giving up the fight. I didn't even get time to stop the car, get out and warn the others. Was over in a matter of seconds.
Old 16th January 2019, 07:38   #773
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Found tonight at our office parking lot. Just a python trying to hobnob with the python programmers at our office. The python programmers didn't reciprocate since they couldn't ID the snake in time.
Python humor at its best.
Old 23rd January 2019, 02:37   #774
BHPian

This Indian Rock Python was found in my sister's office in Gachibowli, Hyderabad last month. Sorry for the bad picture quality, but I don't know who took this picture.
The good news is that they called in a snake catcher, who came and took the snake away for release into the wild.

Snakes!-7bcee408d7f84c099664b42bcc17cca7.jpg

Cheers
Old 23rd January 2019, 10:52   #775
Senior - BHPian

Spotted this guy curled up in the twigs/branches lying on the ground. Was hard to spot given how it blended into the surroundings. With tongue flicking around, and the stance + the looks/colour & thin dimensions I first thought its a saw-scaled viper. But then on a closer look, it seemed to me to be a juvenile rat snake.

Odd thing was rat snakes scamper away on human prescense, but this guy stayed put at the same place for 5mins or more posing for snaps. Finally scampered off only after I disturbed the twigs with a stick. Expert opinion on the type of snake ?

Snakes!-snake_twigs.jpg
Old 23rd January 2019, 12:11   #776
BHPian

I found this little guy outside of our office at Mysore, Karnataka.

Any idea what species is this?

Snakes!-img_20190120_195510.jpg
Old 23rd January 2019, 13:06   #777
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
But then on a closer look, it seemed to me to be a juvenile rat snake.
Yes, does look like rat snake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya.bhat View Post
Any idea what species is this?
Looks like juvenile banded kukri, the older ones will have more pronounced bands.
Old 23rd January 2019, 13:40   #778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Looks like juvenile banded kukri, the older ones will have more pronounced bands.
Looked up the images of this snake on google. Yes, you are correct.
Also, as you mentioned, it was very tiny snake.
Old 12th April 2019, 04:20   #779
BHPian

A man pays the price of not knowing how to handle a snake properly, and gets bitten by a Cobra. He spends 3 days in ICU battling for his life, and a total of 9 days in the hospital.

Surprisingly, he reports that he has rescued over 5000 snakes before getting bitten. Looking at the way he handled this snake, I would say that it is sheer good luck that he never got bitten before.

News Article

Cheers
Old 12th April 2019, 09:07   #780
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
Surprisingly, he reports that he has rescued over 5000 snakes before getting bitten. Looking at the way he handled this snake, I would say that it is sheer good luck that he never got bitten before.
Youtube comments on that video are LOL!

But then Romulus Whitaker too has been bitten many times by snakes. I guess getting bitten is 'normal' for those who work with snakes.

Quote:
First, I’d like to make it very clear that getting bitten by a venomous snake is dumb, clumsy and nothing to be proud of. Each of my bites has been because I did something stupid, like the first, a water moccasin that I was pinning on a log in the Everglades; the log went under as I was reaching for the snake’s neck and it turned at the last moment and nailed me nicely. This one and the subsequent two rattlesnake bites out in Texas (during my US Army days) were painful and in the case of one, debilitating: my right forefinger is permanently stiffened and numb.

If I get bitten now I can’t take the antivenom without a ‘cover’ of antihistamines. In 2006, on a film shoot involving crocodiles, I stupidly tried to help a snake get across a road full of traffic and in the melee got nailed on my thumb. Well, I had to chase the snake to figure out what it was and it turned out to be a black whip snake, venomous but not fatally so.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks