Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2009, 19:18   #31
Senior - BHPian

GTO, hungry for rougher pastures, leads the pack again

4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-dsc06357-large.jpg
4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-dsc06361-large.jpg

He climbs up a steep incline with Aditya navigating on foot and stops to investigate the onward path to be taken

4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-dsc06363-large.jpg

It is said that Satan can follow you anywhere. This maxim is proved right. Neville calmly follows through but misses the clutch of his old Gypsy.

4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-dsc06368-large.jpg

Its is a tricky climb so the others decide to first check out the path first.

4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-dsc06369-large.jpg

After some introspection and calculation, they climb up too, all without any problem. Good one guys.

4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-dsc06370-large.jpg
4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-dsc06371-large.jpg

It was decided to leave the Forrester behind as the terrain was not meant for it. That it had come so far was good enough. I dont see any two wheel drive making it anywhere close to where the Forrester had come. Henceforth it was pure 4X4 country.

4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-dsc06373-large.jpg

Good thinking this one. See the video and note that what looks effortless to the Defender is not Forrester territory in anyway.

Xtreme power getting effortlessly up

...coming up, pure 4X4 country!!.....
Old 6th April 2009, 19:25   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A petrol of the same car having more torque than the diesel? That's more an exception than the norm. What rpm is max torque achieved at in each?
3000rpm for the petrol. Not sure about the diesel, but, it's in the region of 2500rpm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Likewise. I did a lot of contemplating between the OTR and the supercar rally. Well, rather be a part of the action than just watch. And our OTRs are only getting more interesting with more and more people joining in!
Same for me. The only events I attend are the ones I'm invited to, or the ones I am participating in or organising. OTRs are super fun. They are a test of your patience and fitness. They give you an opportunity to explore places which you otherwise would not dream of. A lot of motoring is involved, your old friends are there and you also meet new people.
Old 6th April 2009, 22:36   #33
BHPian

WOW.
Was searching for this thread ever since V16 narrated his experiencs.
Anice right up GTO Xtreme power and V16 and awesome picture by everybody, ple keep'em coming including Shaadi.com once.[ADDY and GTO's were especially good]

p.s. dont have a 4X4 but will flash the Team-BHP sticker if I have to if thats what it takes to get in for the next OTR.
Old 7th April 2009, 02:10   #34
BHPian

GTO, thanks for organising and inviting me for this OTR. Even though I could not take my Forester most of the places, I had a blast! V-16, extremepower, 53bhp, steiger, satan, aditya, great meeting up with all you guys. As I was not doing much driving, I did end up taking a lot of photographs!
Here are some of them.
With the front left and the rear right in the air, she was not going very far.
4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-img_3241.jpg

Here's Steiger on the first climb. This was easy compared to the rest of the day.
4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-img_3243.jpg

After GTO did the mountain goat trick, he was joined by the Defender who took another path to reach there. Here they are joined by Satan, who gamely carried on even though his tyres and clutch were complaining.
4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-img_3254.jpg

After extremepower decided to rest his Defender on its side, GTO's Classic came up and said 'don't you dare ditch me' As you can see, these two have moved from becoming close friends to lovers.
4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-img_3273.jpg

What you see when you get up close and personal with a thoroughbred.
4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-img_3275.jpg

Soft, soft mud. More power was only digging the wheels in deeper. As GTO had expressed a desire 'we want to get stuck', the Landie obliged, leaving GTO to pull her out.
4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-img_3278.jpg
4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-img_3282.jpg
4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-img_3302.jpg
Old 7th April 2009, 02:41   #35
BHPian

After GTO and I went around looking for my Fozzy, we decided to get off that hill and find 'greener' pastures. GTO, as intrepid as ever, saw a small opening between the bushes and decided to go straight up. So here's part 2:

Going back down.
4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-img_3323.jpg

Going where no Landie has gone before
4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-img_3326.jpg

Love those tyres
4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-img_3328.jpg

This was the mound considerably destroyed in several attempts by GTO, paving the way for others. The defender was the first one up this one after the Classic.
4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-img_3332.jpg

Satan did the same maneuver - gun for it - as in part 1 when GTO was on all fours.
4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-img_3335.jpg

Portent of things to come?
4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-img_3338.jpg

The Defender could not come through the narrow track at that point. This picture gives you an idea of how high the Classic reached.
4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-img_3340.jpg

GTO finally got beached on this one, with two wheels in the air. Nothing that a small rock under the front wheel could not fix!
4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-img_3348.jpg

Extremepower hit a sheared stump and burst his tyre - I was riding with GTO just behind and saw the Cooper go 'pooofff'. The stump was probably sheared by GTO while going up.
4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-img_3343.jpg

Slush souvenir.
4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-img_3351.jpg
Old 7th April 2009, 08:20   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

WOW - GTO, I am in next time.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 7th April 2009, 10:41   #37
BHPian

Man, this terrain is tempting, I can imagine the fun it would be in monsoons.

Just a query guys, do you think that a JEEP wearing NDMS tyres would have cleared the spot where Xtreme Power's landy was struck ?? probably the light weighted JEEP might have better chances to clear the slush.

I know it for a fact that photos never convey the real picture of a terrain, I must try the same spot with my JEEP sometime. 2nd Low with good momentum should help.
Old 7th April 2009, 11:59   #38
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
GTO, hungry for rougher pastures, leads the pack again
Gogi, we still gotta hear a first hand account from you on the official Gogi point.

Quote:
Good thinking this one. See the video and note that what looks effortless to the Defender is not Forrester territory in anyway.
Nice vid! Any others?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
They are a test of your patience and fitness.
Rightly said. Fitness is key with all that heat + walking. Gotta hit the treadmill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wdrifter View Post
Even though I could not take my Forester most of the places, I had a blast
Wicked captions, 4wdrifter! Did we make a convert of your non petrolhead friend as well?

Quote:
With the front left and the rear right in the air, she was not going very far.
Still can't get over how most of us forgot about the Forester, and then we went searching in the hills for it!

Quote:
After extremepower decided to rest his Defender on its side, GTO's Classic came up and said 'don't you dare ditch me' As you can see, these two have moved from becoming close friends to lovers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wdrifter View Post
Love those tyres
You bet! Am seriously considering this rubber when its time for a change. But the darn Michelins on my Jeep refuse to wear out! Over 30,000 kms up.

Quote:
The Defender could not come through the narrow track at that point. This picture gives you an idea of how high the Classic reached.
This was the spot where we took a turn back. The narrow gap was nasty, half the tree was inside the Jeep.

Quote:
GTO finally got beached on this one, with two wheels in the air. Nothing that a small rock under the front wheel could not fix!
Quick thinking on your part, and perfect placement of the rock. What 10 hands couldn't do, that simple rock placement took care of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabareesh View Post
Just a query guys, do you think that a JEEP wearing NDMS tyres would have cleared the spot where Xtreme Power's landy was struck ?? probably the light weighted JEEP might have better chances to clear the slush.
Good point. Me & 4wdrifter had gone to fetch the Forester when xtreme power attacked this spot, so we don't know if he had carried enough momentum. Had he? It was too darn soft though. When I walked up to pull the towing rope, my sneakers just slid right into the ground.
Old 7th April 2009, 13:06   #39
BHPian

the defender attacked the slush with a lot of momentum specially since there was an incline on the other side
so that was not the problem
the mud was just to soft and slimy and had no grip whatsoever
Old 7th April 2009, 13:51   #40
Senior - BHPian

WARNING: Reading this can make you a 4X4 addict!

I realised in this trip that GTO is a die hard off roader. In a blink hes off exploring more challenging surfaces. The Bolero's torquey motor coupled with the short chassis of the Classic makes it quite a capable off roader

4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-dsc06364-large.jpg
4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-dsc06365-large.jpg
4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-dsc06366-large.jpg
4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-dsc06374-large.jpg

The Gypsy driven by Cool Neville soon joins in. No problems for the Gypsy. I learn that the Gypsy 1000 came with a stonker of a clutch. The one on the King is not so great in comparison.

4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-dsc06375-large.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Wow man. That's one heck of a Sunday outing. The pictures are amazing and the machines look solid.
It was great fun and a learning experience for me.

Quote:
@GTO: I can imagine how the tilt/angle would have been @ gogi point. That's scary man -- and it seems that that incline is not on/near level ground and if you roll over, you will not just turtle but keep tumbling down.
A few times over, yes

GTO is a daredevil and a go anywhere guy, just like his vehicle. I doubt anyone else even gave a thought of going that way. There was an alternative track which was also not by any standards easy but there was one. With me seated next to GTO and Aditya navigating him but against it, he just barged in. Of course he knew the consequences and asked me to get down if I wished... i buckled up and he, very adeptly, let me add, cajoled his way out of that non track. First one wheel and then the other were off the mud and the jeep slid downwards but he controlled the vehicle and we got out of it amidst Rah-Rahs and sighs of relief.

To the extreme left of area circled in red is where the Jeeps right tyre was and the patch which looks ruffled was the spot where it came sliding down to, and then to the spot i am standing, all while moving forward. I was buckled up while gripping the roll bar on top, else i could have been thrown out of the jeep. Actually the pic shows the full path available to us. On the left which you cant see was a tree growing diagonally.

4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-incline1.jpg

This was a time when "Down to Earth" had a new meaning for me.
I had heard of being close to one's roots but lets just say i had first hand experience at that. I wish someone had taken a pic but I think that was the last thing on anyone's mind. Ill put it as a great experience. This is when you realise the importance of an experienced person behind the wheel. A turn in the wrong direction would definitely make the jeep turn turtle. Great job Rushabh.

Quote:
@Gogo Paaji: So nice to see you on an OTR thread and I am sure this should now make you expedite your jeep restoration work.
You bet Shah. Ive always been going through these threads with great gusto but had no contribution to make on these threads. Now im a convert and an addict so you will see me more often here.

About my jeep restoration, I've already got in touch with my guy and have told him to get things going at war footing. Earlier i had told him to keep the soft top as stock but now i want an roll bar installed. One cant go to OTRs with a scissor top. You will be hearing from me soon asking for advice on certain things.

This sure had the others thinking about coming in that way.

Coming back to the report;

The view form the top was breathtaking. There was a full on view of the dam (Pavna?) Satan enjoys the view and the wind

4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-dsc06376-large.jpg

Strategies are being made to try and reach the dam but there was no motorable road (as there was any the way we came up). A sharp drop and extremely steep inclines made us decide on ging down and searching for further pastures.

4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-dsc06381-large.jpg

GTO's Classic was on the other side and the way we came in, was too insane so another path was found around from there. The path was tricky so only the drivers occupied the car while all passengers disembarked. It was actually quite difficult to walk even with the incline and nothing to get a foothold on.

Allen got going in his Defender first and gets navigated to the top, where we were parked, carefully and successfully.

4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-dsc06380-large.jpg
4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-dsc06383-large.jpg
4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-dsc06384-large.jpg
4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-dsc06385-large.jpg
4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-dsc06386-large.jpg
4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-dsc06387-large.jpg

Neville was next to come in

4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-dsc06388-large.jpg
4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-dsc06389-large.jpg
4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-dsc06390-large.jpg

Steiger takes on the rough.

4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-dsc06379-large.jpg
4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-dsc06391-large.jpg
4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-dsc06378-large.jpg

We were all there finally. It was really hot but the wind was blowing. Liquid replenishment time!!

4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-dsc06377-large.jpg

.......still more!!
Old 7th April 2009, 13:54   #41
BHPian

Hey Allan

looks like you guys had good fun! excellent terrain, great pics and write up for all to enjoy.

Do I see you on the phone to "headquarters" in one of the pics?

Cheers
Ankit
Old 7th April 2009, 14:10   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
Hey Allan

looks like you guys had good fun! excellent terrain, great pics and write up for all to enjoy.

Do I see you on the phone to "headquarters" in one of the pics?

Cheers
Ankit
bang on target mate
Old 7th April 2009, 16:06   #43
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Awesome pictures, and well-written, V-16! Keep 'em coming.

Word just came in from Ferdi : Yup, something ruptured my braking line. He said this was an extremely rare occurence. Most probably, was hit at a weird angle. No prizes for guessing where that could have happened.
Old 7th April 2009, 16:25   #44
Senior - BHPian

Great trip there - how did I miss this one?

Still reading through it all, but whats the engine in the Defender?
Old 7th April 2009, 16:31   #45
Team-BHP Support

Steer, it's a DCM Toyota truck engine. If I remember correctly, 3.6L, inline 4 cyl, 95bhp, 225Nm.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks