Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2009, 14:33   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swastikviji View Post
Any comments on safety issues: 72 bullet?
Pajero could have reversed in to water flow, clean tyres and go with momemtum. he would have cleared.

Last edited by Jaggu : 18th August 2009 at 20:48. Reason: Please avoid quaoting the U tube links, readability for mobile users. Thanks
Old 18th August 2009, 14:35   #17
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful OTR

Bolero and Bolero camper without load bay and bumpers were interesting! Congratulations on a grand OTR
Old 18th August 2009, 14:45   #18
BHPian

Great outing, everyone! The mud looks so inviting!!!
I missed it, of course, but want to make it to the next trip to Sakleshpur. I had a small accident last week, and couldn't drive because of an injured ankle.

PS: I *hate* cabbies!!
Old 18th August 2009, 14:56   #19
BHPian

Second really challenging spot, almost 50% vehicles struck here,
Attached Thumbnails
Munzerabad Off-Beat drive 2009-dsc00103.jpg  

Munzerabad Off-Beat drive 2009-dsc00104.jpg  

Munzerabad Off-Beat drive 2009-dsc00110.jpg  

Munzerabad Off-Beat drive 2009-dsc00113.jpg  

Munzerabad Off-Beat drive 2009-dsc00117.jpg  

Munzerabad Off-Beat drive 2009-dsc00125.jpg  

Munzerabad Off-Beat drive 2009-dsc00127.jpg  

Munzerabad Off-Beat drive 2009-dsc00132.jpg  

Munzerabad Off-Beat drive 2009-dsc00171.jpg  

Old 18th August 2009, 15:32   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Any comments on safety issues: 72 bullet?

You're really a mind-reader aren't you? Thought I'd keep mum on this one.

Anyway, here goes.. Dangerous, but not too bad. Atleast there's no tow-cable involved (it would be just as bad if one of the guys got his boots stuck in the mud and couldn't get out of the way in time, but no one really thinks that pessimistically while having fun right? All's well that ends well though, hope no one ever has a bad accident while off-roading).

I guess my morbid fear of tow-ropes is from getting hit on the leg by a snapped bolt ( a 407 was trying to get a Fiat Uno out of muck, he used a long bolt to hold the loop of the cable it place ) I was standing at a distance ( 20 m ) which I assumed was out of range. Needless to say it hurt alot, due to the distance though, the bolt had depleted most of it's energy and was not very fast, so all i got was a sore and bruised shin. Had i or anyone been closer, a fracture or atleast a flesh-wound would have been hard to avoid.

Take care guys and have fun.

Last edited by Jaggu : 18th August 2009 at 20:56. Reason: Removing U tube link, readability. Thanks
Old 18th August 2009, 16:13   #21
BANNED

Quote:
YouTube - Pajero@munjrabad[/url]
Couple of novice comments about how that Pajero could have scaled that section.

1. The driver is turning the steering left and right and everywhere. When in a slush like that the key is to hold the steering straight and only turn it to correct if the rear portion swings, but that is when you are already in motion and not trying to get unstuck. This helps the wheels to grip better. The turned steering invariably makes it more difficult for the engine to lug it forward.

2. Instead of pushing the car what it needed was traction. It has enough power of its own to cover that section. One should have opened the rear hatch and a couple of people in there could have helped.

The above comments are by only looking at the video, the actual situation may have been totally different.

Last edited by Jaggu : 18th August 2009 at 20:57. Reason: Removing U tube link, readability. Thanks
Old 18th August 2009, 16:20   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
JKDas,

Question is questioning the ability of the vehicle. Under slush all 4 WDs will struggle. Vitara had stock tyres which are non performing on slush. else every 4 WD is capable in its own way. Vitara is big brother of gypsy, a capable offroader, I hope you would concur.

Samurai can enlighten us on Vitara's performance and suitableness in such terrain

Safari 4WD will perform well in such circumstances. But doubts are about Scorpio.
I thought the weight may be an issue when it comes to marshy land and hence. Maybe if its in movement,it shouldnt be an issue for heavy vehicles.

And experience .
Old 18th August 2009, 20:29   #23
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Pajero could have reversed in to water flow, clean tyres and go with momemtum. he would have cleared.
About Pajero it was driver fault, he should have taken in momentum but he took at wrong place.
He got stuck in such a place where he could not reverse also.
Gypsy owners you will not belive it, Gypsy winching Pajero but could not pull even one inch.
Old 18th August 2009, 20:43   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha View Post
About Pajero it was driver fault, he should have taken in momentum but he took at wrong place.
He got stuck in such a place where he could not reverse also.
Gypsy owners you will not belive it, Gypsy winching Pajero but could not pull even one inch.
it seem's like this event rocked. Awesome pix. I always thought that the vitara was the samurai's but was surprised to see a different one.
Old 18th August 2009, 21:42   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sha, that is no surprise to me. I have seen futile attempts of gypsy pulling jeep. Gypsy being light vehicle can't stay put firmly while pulling. If gypsy was banked on a tree trunk and winched the pajero, then the success would have been there.
Old 18th August 2009, 21:52   #26
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Sha, that is no surprise to me. I have seen futile attempts of gypsy pulling jeep. Gypsy being light vehicle can't stay put firmly while pulling. If gypsy was banked on a tree trunk and winched the pajero, then the success would have been there.
We knew that it will not pull 100% even Vijay offered to winch it but they were confident Gypsy will winch Pajero, they tried front and back with Gypsy. We were not marshals thats why kept quiet.
Old 19th August 2009, 00:00   #27
BHPian

Beautiful bungalow converted to home stays in a scenic spot
Attached Thumbnails
Munzerabad Off-Beat drive 2009-dsc00172.jpg  

Munzerabad Off-Beat drive 2009-dsc00178.jpg  

Munzerabad Off-Beat drive 2009-dsc00179.jpg  

Munzerabad Off-Beat drive 2009-dsc00180.jpg  

Munzerabad Off-Beat drive 2009-dsc00193.jpg  

Munzerabad Off-Beat drive 2009-dsc00202.jpg  

Munzerabad Off-Beat drive 2009-dsc00204.jpg  

Munzerabad Off-Beat drive 2009-dsc00211.jpg  

Munzerabad Off-Beat drive 2009-dsc00214.jpg  

Last edited by swastikviji : 19th August 2009 at 00:02. Reason: Quote
Old 19th August 2009, 00:38   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You should keep CJ in garage for a while and fully use the potential of GV . With AT tires it can perform much better but with good driver.
I can put AT tyres, but where to get the good driver? Also, who will pay for body panel repairs? The stock HT tyres of GV pretty much spins like a top on slush and wet grass. I am sure it will do better with AT tyres.

Quote:
Mystery vehicle photos are already posted. it's nothing but Golf cart vehicle with 4WD option. Need to appreciate the design and performance of the vehicle but it does not feel like driving 4WD.
It simply can't be driven on-road with a straight face.

Quote:
Vitara is big brother of gypsy, a capable offroader, I hope you would concur.

Samurai can enlighten us on Vitara's performance and suitableness in such terrain
It has good entry angle, but so-so exit angle, I have a broken rear bumper to prove it. Switching to AT or MT tyre will obviously cure its slipperyness. But it has longer wheelbase, simlar to Safari, but not Safari's torque or power.

I have explored a lot about GV's possibilities. With MT tyres, a 2.5 inch body lift (the lift kit is available) and custom skid plates, it can turn into a pretty good offroader. But one has to be very insensitive to body panel damage, I have long and deep scratches on the side panel too.
Old 19th August 2009, 15:02   #29
BHPian

Hi Jeepers,

Amazing place, looks like a rain forest challenge. What a terrain. you guys must have had a great OTR .

Cheers

Sarvinder
Old 19th August 2009, 15:11   #30
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I can put AT tyres, but where to get the good driver? Also, who will pay for body panel repairs? The stock HT tyres of GV pretty much spins like a top on slush and wet grass. I am sure it will do better with AT tyres.
No doubt that GV driver is going to get big bill, but CJ driver can be good to drive GV also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willys MB View Post
Hi Jeepers,

Amazing place, looks like a rain forest challenge. What a terrain. you guys must have had a great OTR .

Cheers

Sarvinder
Check other thread also similar to Rain forest challenge.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...h-aug2009.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks