Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2010, 23:31   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
PS: Could someone post one of my pics? I have none with my face!!
Here you are Maddy, now you cant complain

Mahindra Great Escape - Sawarsi - 25 July 2010-dsc09786-800x600.jpg

Much has been said about the MGE and i would not want to bore you guys by being repetitive.

En-route to McDonald's i suspected a not the usually smooth hum from the engine and decided to look under the hood with a horrifying conclusion. There was not even, minimum engine oil level. Thanks to JIggy, Arpan and his boss who drove down a few kms to get me Oil for the CJ as i waited with Nishanth, Soumya and the others to get Soumya's CJ fitted with a new fan belt (thankfully i had a spare). After that i realized that my CJ had a starter problem...it had concked off and my CJ would have to be pushed to start everytime it was cut off. Solution, dont cut it off at all.

We reached the resort and after the briefing and Vinod's introducing us as the "Hard core off roaders whose instructions everyone should follow in case of trouble" (thanks Vinod) we took off to be overtaken dangerously by many 2WDs who were mistaken that they were in a race.

We found that those who had so enthusiastically overtaken us fumbling at the entry to the Sarawasi trail and that was not even obstacle territory.

Vinod was in the Pilot Scorpio and Tejas, Nishanth myself and a few others followed him to see what the fate of the track was.

I enjoyed the rain which was coming down heavily and the trails as well. The CJ deserves all acclaim as it crawled and hummed all the way through incline, rock, slush or come what may. You have to know the machine and with every otr i discover another facet of the Hurricane engine. Im sure Soumya will agree. I guess we were the only two petrol powered Jeeps in the huge MGE congregation.

After waiting patiently in a huge line up caused by some cars stuck, I decided to take other lesser/un trodden paths, hills, pastures or whatever you may want to call them, to as high as i could reach. I passed many points where i saw some 2Wd's stuck and stopped to tell them id be back for a rescue. I reached through some other slush inclines and managed to reach a reasonably higher, sloping ground where the Jeep engine was killed. I was sure others to reach here would take considerable time.

....to be continued>>>
Old 29th July 2010, 01:08   #92
Senior - BHPian

Well the tale of the trail has been mentioned by one and all. Just remember this funny incident.

Gogis jeep was stuck on a trail in traffic and Gogi was up in the trail. Jiggy got into the drivers seat and asked me to spot. I was dumbstruck as i didnt know what i should say. I told Jiggy that i have no freaking clue how to guide him as i frankly knew only to tell come straight left or right on hard roads and i didnt know how the vehicle would behave in such a terrain. Jiggy found another spotter thankfully before i did any mistake!!

Gogi bhai thank you for the sabooth:P
Old 1st August 2010, 00:16   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Here you are Maddy, now you cant complain

Attachment 395583

....to be continued>>>
Gogi Bhai waiting for you to complete your report....

In short MGE Mumbai was fun to all 4wd enthusiasts! Iam Glad. Thank you guys for making it to the event.

Would love to see you guys in GOA and Chikmangalur too.
Old 1st August 2010, 00:41   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Would love to see you guys in GOA and Chikmangalur too.
Vinod - when is the C'magalur GE planned for?
Old 1st August 2010, 01:09   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Vinod - when is the C'magalur GE planned for?
28TH AUGUST. COMING?
Old 1st August 2010, 10:49   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
In short MGE Mumbai was fun to all 4wd enthusiasts! Iam Glad. Thank you guys for making it to the event.
Vinod it was fun only for the 4wd enthusiasts, what about the 2wd guys? I heard few of them yelling "Race shuru ho raha hai jaldi aao (Race is starting come soon)".

I recall an incident which happened that day. I was standing near the first few climbs (with Dennis and Om) where I saw a 4wd Invader struggling to climb through. Although, that particular section did not require a 4wd (easily manageable for 2wds). I understood the problem, went upto the driver and the following conversation took place:-

Me:- "4wd mein hai kya (Is it in 4wd?)"
He:- "Haan 4 wheel gaadi hai (Yes, it is a 4wd vehicle)"
Me:- "4wd mein daala hai kya (Have you slotted the lever into 4wd position?)"
He:- "Haan 4wd mein hai, yeh dekho" (Yes, it is in 4wd, shows me the lever) The lever was in fully forward position, and had a straight shift pattern, I was convinced it was running on 2wd.
Me:- "Aap us danda ko peeche kheecho (Pull the lever to the rearmost position)". He pulls the lever as told by me and zooms off.

He:- "Thank you"

I guess he was from the Marketing team, also I am not sure if he drove till Mumbai in this condition (4WD Low).

Spike

PS- Mods, I have used Hindi in my post so that the essence of conversation is not lost. Please delete if found inappropriate.

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 1st August 2010 at 10:55. Reason: formating problem, smileys not appearing
Old 1st August 2010, 11:52   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

I was pleasantly surprised yesterday when i received a wonderful thank you acknowledgment from Mahindra for all the help during the recently concluded MGE at Panvel. A parcel arrived at my house containing the Scorpio Coffee-Table Book, a lasercut crystal cube and an appreciation letter from Mr. Vivek Nayer, VP Marketing.

@Vinod, BD & Spike, we are always glad to help!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Great Escape - Sawarsi - 25 July 2010-mahindra1.jpg  

Old 3rd August 2010, 11:50   #98
BHPian

Mahindra great escape… Sawarsi

100 machines, rain, slush, good inclines and declines and good food. The track was really meant for 4x4 and the 2x4s were finding it difficult to go up and the Mahindra recovery vehicles were not enough to tow out the 2x4s, so Tejas and Nishant were doing the towing of the boleros and Scorpios with their mean machines. But over all a good challenge

Some more pictures. Kishor
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Great Escape - Sawarsi - 25 July 2010-rsz_dsc_0065.jpg  

Mahindra Great Escape - Sawarsi - 25 July 2010-rsz_dsc_0060.jpg  

Mahindra Great Escape - Sawarsi - 25 July 2010-rsz_dsc_0057.jpg  

Mahindra Great Escape - Sawarsi - 25 July 2010-rsz_dsc_0055.jpg  

Mahindra Great Escape - Sawarsi - 25 July 2010-rsz_dsc_0050.jpg  

Mahindra Great Escape - Sawarsi - 25 July 2010-rsz_dsc_0048.jpg  

Mahindra Great Escape - Sawarsi - 25 July 2010-rsz_dsc_0039.jpg  

Mahindra Great Escape - Sawarsi - 25 July 2010-rsz_1dsc_0043.jpg  

Last edited by Jaggu : 3rd August 2010 at 12:00.
Old 3rd August 2010, 16:58   #99
BHPian

I adore anything and everything about The Great Escape and thank all you jeep souls for spilling the trails explored. I see many happy jeep faces for conquering the virgin trials!
Old 3rd August 2010, 17:12   #100
Senior - BHPian

Way to go Tejas for receiving the acknowledgment for efforts put in at the MGE.

So on with my report.

As i wait at the spot hoping someone will follow me there i see a couple of brave 2WD Jeeps trying the same way. Before i can say impossible, both are stuck. Now its for the Mahindra recovery team to bail out four 2WD Jeeps stuck in the hard core 4X4 terrain. Each recovery was going to take around 20 minutes or so, owing to the articulate way these vehicles would have to be got out. It wasn't a straight path anyways, crooked, bent, inclined and the most fun, filled with deep muck!

After that i chose to walk down the path (there being no other way) and beyond these four struggling vehicles, there were a few more parked in the slush, which did not look too deep. The drivers, newbies of course had come this far (i have to give it to them) and got stuck here. This was a small stretch before the real slush stretch began. I saw that one was really stuck so a few of us pushed the vehicle out of the slush and out of the way. THe other two, a Scorpio and a Bolero were victims of overzealous drivers. They were stepping on the gas and as a result spinning the rear wheels resulting in loss of traction. I asked them to go easy on the gas and try reverse and then forward, using the momentum and then tappin on the gas pedal very faintly, enough but try not to spin the wheels. One of them requested me to get behind the wheel and get her out of the way. I said i could try and the vehicle was thus out of the way. I explained to them that there were no special skills involved here, one just has to know the dynamics of the terrain and speed, that had worked for them while taking the incline just below, was not going to work here. I

I noticed that Tejas and Nishanth were trying to figure out how to get the stuck vehicles out. Vinod, Tejas, Nishant, Mohan, me and a few others worked out a strategy. I being Jeepless as my Jeep was stuck up and ahead unable to come down would go at a particular spot and spot for the people stuck there. Tejas and Nishant would be ready with their Jeeps to pull the ones that would not be able to make it out themselves and Mohan and Vinod would spot at the turn and the slush pit. One Blue Jeep from Thane with a winch in the front and rear was a;so deputed with them as an added helpline. Anyways it was not going to get any further from there, owing to the Jeeps stuck ahead

The operation began with me at the first point helping the drivers (2WDs) on how to to tackle the slush incline with momentum and so on. They would get their inputs further from the others deputed there. Thats when i realist that the line is almost unending and looked like a traffic jam at a ghat.

I dont think more than 5-6 Vehicles made it to where Tejas was parked. The rest got stuck in various stages of the stretch.

Each Jeep rescue was taking around 15 minutes at the minimum, if it was fast. Then we were running out of place at the top to park vehicles. Also time was running out and it was way past lunchtime, when we were actually supposed to be back at the resort.

A little discussion later it was decided that there was no way the 2WDs would be able to tackle the terrain, which was increasingly becoming a challenge even for 4WDs. The rain Gods had a huge hand in this otherwise challenging terrain becoming difficult with every minute.
I decided to get my Cj down another path as vehicles were struggling still.

The rescue of the Jeeps at the top was successfully done and that meant the vehicles stuck up could now come down, The Vehicles were then asked to turn around and finally reach the resort for a regrouping and a satisfying lunch.

Pics.

The Extreme Offroaders Badge, something all of us members wear with pride

Mahindra Great Escape - Sawarsi - 25 July 2010-dsc09765-800x600.jpg

Awaiting our turn for the flag off

Mahindra Great Escape - Sawarsi - 25 July 2010-dsc09764-800x600.jpg

Lining up before the turn in at Sawarsai

Mahindra Great Escape - Sawarsi - 25 July 2010-dsc09767-800x600.jpg

The rocky slippery patch, with either side of the road washed away

Mahindra Great Escape - Sawarsi - 25 July 2010-dsc09770-800x600.jpg

A video of the same stretch

The stange sound is from a loosened silencer clip

The start of the incline......

Mahindra Great Escape - Sawarsi - 25 July 2010-dsc09769-800x600.jpg

Through a little slush, leading finally to the sharp S slush ridden incline turn

Mahindra Great Escape - Sawarsi - 25 July 2010-dsc09768-800x600.jpg

Made it!!

Mahindra Great Escape - Sawarsi - 25 July 2010-dsc09773-800x600.jpg

Rescue operations by Tejas and Nishant

Mahindra Great Escape - Sawarsi - 25 July 2010-dsc09774-800x600.jpg
Mahindra Great Escape - Sawarsi - 25 July 2010-dsc09779-800x600.jpg

Parking place is at a premium at the top.

Name:  DSC09775 800x600.jpg
Views: 1064
Size:  103.3 KB
Mahindra Great Escape - Sawarsi - 25 July 2010-dsc09777-800x600.jpg

I decide that i have had enough waiting at the top and needed to come down, so i chose an alternative path and reached down to where all the rescued jeeps were turning back.

Mahindra Great Escape - Sawarsi - 25 July 2010-dsc09780-800x600.jpg

Tejas finds out that knee length gum boots are no use in more than knee deep slush

Mahindra Great Escape - Sawarsi - 25 July 2010-dsc09778-800x600.jpg

Jignesh and Cyrus try to spot fr new route and find that there are none

Mahindra Great Escape - Sawarsi - 25 July 2010-dsc09776-800x600.jpg

We decide to leave at the fag end of the convoy, lest anyone gets stuck or needs any assistance

Mahindra Great Escape - Sawarsi - 25 July 2010-dsc09782-800x600.jpg

Random Pics

Mahindra Great Escape - Sawarsi - 25 July 2010-dsc09784-800x600.jpg
Mahindra Great Escape - Sawarsi - 25 July 2010-dsc09785-800x600.jpg

All in all, everyone had a god time. I felt bad for the participants who were stuck at the end of the line while climbing up as they got a raw deal but the weather played up and it was just beautiful and serene to be out in the heavy downpour in clean crisp air.

At the Resort over lunch a few people who were stuck at the end and could not tackle any of the tough spots were arguing that had they been there they would have surely got through the place where everyone else had been stuck. Ya Sure i thought and bid adieu to them, finally leaving back for home. Another good day out and another chance to be one with nature. I will miss participating in the Goa MGE as i have a family wedding to attend in Calcutta.

Thank You Vinod, thank you Mahindra. Looking forward to another such adventure in this lovely season. !!!

Last edited by V-16 : 3rd August 2010 at 17:18. Reason: add
Old 10th August 2010, 14:21   #101
Team-BHP Support

Didn't anybody attend the Goa MGE this week?
Old 10th August 2010, 14:29   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Nope. We were doing the recce for the Independence day OTR.
Old 10th August 2010, 15:26   #103
BHPian

Quote:
I think Xtreme power (allan) was suppose to attend the event along with his Scorpio powered MM550, would love to see that beast in action.
Old 10th August 2010, 15:42   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4 cruiser View Post
I think Xtreme power (allan) was suppose to attend the event along with his Scorpio powered MM550, would love to see that beast in action.
Allan's scorpio and another stock mm550 went there. However, they were not driven by Allan. He was busy preparing for the TPC.
Old 11th August 2010, 18:31   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
well we were there, shall post pics soon

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks