Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2010, 15:57   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post
@Prasad: You decided to put new tyres on the classic?
Naaah, too much effort.

I intend on borrowing a nice bluish grey J&K registered CJ3B. Its a newly restored vehicle (with new NDMS tires).
The guy is getting old and is entertaining guests over the next couple of weeks and last but not the least stays very close to me.

So getting it should be easy
Old 30th August 2010, 16:10   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32_GTR View Post
Naaah, too much effort.

I intend on borrowing a nice bluish grey J&K registered CJ3B. Its a newly restored vehicle (with new NDMS tires).
The guy is getting old and is entertaining guests over the next couple of weeks and last but not the least stays very close to me.

So getting it should be easy
You better start practicing the art of sucking and spitting petrol. And no cigarettes for you then!
Old 30th August 2010, 16:11   #18
Senior - BHPian

This was a scary slope during EXAMM and now even more. I dont remember who was sitting with me at that time but i was hell scared at that time itself when my gypsy went a bit sideways and i could do nothing to control it.

Tejas, Good call on other vehicles not attempting this one and good that no one was hurt.
Old 30th August 2010, 16:32   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
You better start practicing the art of sucking and spitting petrol. And no cigarettes for you then!
@ Prasad, there is one way out , you can get my diesel engine Landy in exchange with your Jonga + some OTR Petrol 'Kharcha' If you dont want to quit smoking

Yours Sudarshan
Old 30th August 2010, 16:37   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Done it already - that too on the same CJ3B..

I need to start sucking up to the GENTLEMAN who owns it

Last edited by R32_GTR : 30th August 2010 at 16:39. Reason: Excession emoticons
Old 30th August 2010, 16:54   #21
Senior - BHPian

I regret not being with you guys. I might have been driving down from Amby Valley when you guys must have been at it. Anyways loved the fog filled drive to Bombay with buckets pouring down.

Ravi and Rahul, thank God no one got hurt. Guys better watch out in the future. Ravi, so many people have lagaoed "Nazar" to your NGCS (including me) that now you have a nazarbatoo!! These things happen, that no one is hurt is the most important thing here.

Firstly Tejas we had made this mistake even during EXAMM-1 that we did not have tail-enders to look into the questions of the newbies. I think when offroading during extreme weather conditions or extreme terrains, there MUST be an experienced person wither spotting or sitting with one of the newbies. Newbies does not mean new to an OTR. A newbie may be described as a person who is new to the terrain so he becomes a newbie for that track or trail.

Secondly and strictly for the safety of participants, no newbie should be egged on to try an obstacle which you as an organisor or experienced person is not sure of.

I have seen many persons who are scared to their wits in the beggining when trying an obstacle and are unsure about it. These persons should be requested to take the other path up or down. Sometimes just sheer pressure/ego or the fact that it may be termed as un-macho or sissy will push the person to try an obstacle, whatever the outcome. The outcome in these can be disastrous.

Not in any way casting a doubt about Ravi's or Rahul's driving or offroading expertise, this was just a general statement.

Recognise and chart out the terrain, see the difficulty level and then allow or disallow certain members based on their expertese and capability of the car to tackle the terrain. Even in Examm-1, the Gypsys had a traction problem and also a sliding problem. With this kind of rain and slippery conditions, i think one jeep more and then the track would be undoable.

Safety is of prime importance guys please please lets try and keep all our otrs incidence free.

Priority number one: Soumya and Prasad, you guys better get an roll bar fixed pronto.

I think we should make it mandatory for future Otrs, to have a roll bar fixed to their vehicles and if possible, seat belts too for extreme trails. Its for your own safety.

What say??

Last edited by V-16 : 30th August 2010 at 16:55.
Old 30th August 2010, 17:26   #22
BHPian

First of all, let me start with apologizing to Rahul and then to all the people that day, entirely my mistake.

A big Thanks to James, you are like a Angel man. without him, we would had to TOW my jeep all the way to Apollo Motors in Lonavala.

Now some insite from me, behind the steering.

I had come and inspected the terrain along with Amol, Neville & Rahul, was contemplating whether to do it or not, meanwhile Amol decided to go for it and I thought to wait and watch and then decide, Amol did it in a great way, with some lurches but was very well executed, this definetly gave some confidence, discussed with Neville once again how to go and requested him to be my passenger but my Bad Rahul had already asked him to come along with him. So i just watched Rahul and Neville going down and till I saw they were going very well.

My First and Biggest Mistake, anxiety took me over and I immediately went in my Jeep, the mind was very clear, "Go in 1st Low, no brakes and no clutch". Before starting, I should have once again seen below whether Rahul cleared the Entire Patch (BIG MISTAKE). I started my jeep and went for the descent, even then I could not see the Gypsy, it was only when I cleared the second Bush (can be seen in the pictures posted), I saw or realised that I am going to Bang in the Gypsy (Mere Toh TOTE Udd gaye!),
Mods sorry to use Hindi, but couldn't have described it otherwise.

Panic struck me all over, the first thing in my mind was, if I go straight into gypsy, then the gypsy will have to go for an Auction. So immediate reaction in the Jumping and Boucing jeep was to Steer and try and avoid the Gypsy (my 2nd Mistake) and instead go for the tree on extreme right.

All this was happening in split seconds and the Jeep had got too much Momentum inspite of Being in 1st Low, something i have never experienced. As I tried to steer, the rear part came out and the next foolish thing done by me was to apply Brakes, that was it, the next thing i felt was a huge thud, everything Black, rest all is very well depicted by Tejas.

The only satisfying thing was that, Rahul and Neville were sitting in the Gypsy, when it happened and Goodness god nothing Happened to them, Which at that point was biggest relief to me or else I would have never been able to forgive myself, Second the Gypsy did received the blow very well and was not damaged much.

I was anyways feeling miserable after this Incident, but thanks to all the guys who cheered me up and asked to forget it as a bad incident but take the learning from it and biggest thanks to Rahul to be on a lighter side.

Quote:
- Ours because, since he was a newbie, one of us should have stayed up with him and we should have double checked if he heard us not to come down. I take full responsibility for this incident.
Tejas, it was purely my mistake and I don't think you or anyone should be blamed for this, I was taken over by my excitement.

I know some of you guys will want to kill me, but to be honest to myself, i would want to do this once again with NO DRAMAS.
4x4 cruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2010, 18:09   #23

Missed this OTR Guys.. But could not miss Dad's Birthday on Sat Night..

Ravi & Rahul.. Just chill out guys.. This is what i would call True Off Roading... Its no fun without some damages.. As long as noone is hurt..

Lets do it this Sunday again.. And Ravi I am sure you will go thru smoothly.. And there will be no chance for the "TOTE"

@ Doc, please plan some good action this week.. Lets do an overnight thing if possible..

@ Prasad, i am eagerly waiting to see your Jonga on the trail.. Get it up and running soon buddy.

@ Amol, good to see your jeep back on the road.
Old 30th August 2010, 18:42   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Rahul lost his virginity but i think Ravi could have seen the gypsy from Top yaar

Devang, trust me buddy, couldn't see the gypsy from their or else would have never attempted this in my wildest dreams.
Old 31st August 2010, 00:14   #25
BHPian

Hey guys i think we should all chill and be happy that it did not end up worst. Ravi's decision to steer actually avoided a head on collision with the gypsy, cuz i dont think there was any chance of him coming down and being able to steer clear! Lots said.. we sure will try this decent again some weekend, and this time with caution.
A special thanks to James for never saying NO to anyone who has been stuck with what so ever problem..
@ Nishant.. yeah very happy to have her back on road!! and lets do a over night next weekend.
Old 31st August 2010, 00:19   #26
Senior - BHPian

I dont understand why no one could see me waving frantically at you guys to not come down due to the stuck gypsy. I think we were quite lucky that there was no serious vehicle damage.
The pace at which you jeep was descending, at one point the right rear lifted and you were very close to toppling over. Im very glad that didnt happen.

My take guys;
As a newbie/ until you gain some experience, dont believe everything you see and certainly dont try big obstacles which have become tricky due to weather, unless ur sure you can pull it off without any damage.

Its very important to understand the potential of your vehicle and how it will behave before you begin to test its physics. Offroading is not just about tackling obstacles, but also to be able to do it with minimum/ no damage to your vehicle, person & environment.

Lastly, just because a bunch of guys tells you that its easy and you can do it, remember, discretion is the better part of valor.. so chill.
I was told the Safari too could make it down that slope in that slippery wet.

Dont become an offroad BAKRA.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 31st August 2010 at 00:22.
Old 31st August 2010, 17:48   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4 cruiser View Post
I know some of you guys will want to kill me, but to be honest to myself, i would want to do this once again with NO DRAMAS.
With this gang its the other way round, they will kill u if you dont try and do it again.

I remember when my Pajero was stuck at Alibagh OTR. Tejas, James, Devang, Kunal and others handled the situation so well. They not only got me out of that mess but also encouraged me to do all the obstacles the next morning.

All the best
Cloud_Chaser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2010, 19:00   #28
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4 cruiser View Post

Devang, trust me buddy, couldn't see the gypsy from their or else would have never attempted this in my wildest dreams.
Have my advice over this , there is nothing wrong in having 'wildest' dreams . What makes difference is you go prepared or not . So next time you see me I have a nice present for you & the good Doc .

Only you need to choose yours one ,( its for free. )

but at least you will be prepared .
Repeat EXAMM! The ghost of 1st low vs 2nd low descent haunts us again... and how!-dscn0339.jpg
yours Sudarshan
Old 31st August 2010, 19:02   #29
Senior - BHPian

I have been doing offroad with James,Amol and few others from last 3-4 years now I can trust these guys blindly in regards to spotting or recovery but it doesnt mean that we just go for OTR, Drive, get stuck and Get recovered and go back Home.

Trust me guys its a good practice to get down and walk the trail first before you attempt. Make it a practice and i am sure your confidence level will improve once you mentally make your path before your hit the obstacle.

Second, it is always good to see recovery process, its a learning experience everytime. so next time if you see someone is stuck and if you cant help but still get down and watch what others are doing and I am sure end of the day you will know one trick to get the vehicle out.

we will try and do bullockcart trail next week.

Now lets get ready for next weekend

Last edited by pdev29 : 31st August 2010 at 19:04.
Old 31st August 2010, 19:10   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdev29 View Post
I have been doing offroad with James,Amol and few others from last 3-4 years now I can trust these guys blindly in regards to spotting or recovery but it doesnt mean that we just go for OTR, Drive, get stuck and Get recovered and go back Home.

Second, it is always good to see recovery process, its a learning experience everytime. so next time if you see someone is stuck and if you cant help but still get down and watch what others are doing and I am sure end of the day you will know one trick to get the vehicle out.

we will try and do bullockcart trail next week.

Now lets get ready for next weekend
So for this Practice ,next week I am making my Landy Available

without winch ?

I am in

Sudarshan + passenger

yours Sudarshan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks