Team-BHP - Basic 4X4 Terms
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Technical (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-technical/)
-   -   Basic 4X4 Terms (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-technical/100309-basic-4x4-terms.html)

Hello to all Team-BHP Members.

I am attaching a simple, but useful terms & parts description document regarding 4WD Vehicles. This document includes meanings of terms like ramp break-over angle, AWD, engine breaking, rebound, viscous coupling to different parts meaning like C-Section Chassis, torsion bars, LSD, UV-Joints etc.
It may be known to many of you, but still I think it can be useful to other newbies like me.

@Mods: Pardon me if something like this is already posted in some other post & I missed it. Please post this to appropriate thread if already existing.

Thanks & Regards,
O_M

Do make sure that you provide the relevant permissions & references/original source for every piece of material that has been taken from another website/publication. - Team-BHP Admin

Kindly read the forum rules: Team-BHP - Announcements in Forum : Announcements

Source: Offroad Terms

@offroad_maniac: truly informative document. thanks.

BTW, what is 4L & 4H ? gurus, please throw some light.

Quote:

Originally Posted by badboyscad (Post 987340)

@ badboyscad..hope this helps, as simple as i could make it..:)

2H = 2wheel high gearing. Normal rear-wheel drive. Use this with normal driving on tarred roads and dry sand roads. Never drive faster than 100 km/h.

4H = 4wheel high gearing. Normal 4-wheel drive. Use this on muddy and slippery sand roads. Never drive faster than 60km/h. This should be enough to travel to most areas.

4L = 4wheel low gearing. 4-wheel drive for very extreme roads. Slow speeds. Short gears.
Used to navigate difficult and poor terrain whereby you cannot travel more than 30km/h.

Quote:

Originally Posted by offroad_maniac (Post 987093)
Hello to all Team-BHP Members.

I am attaching a simple, but useful terms & parts description document regarding 4WD Vehicles. This document includes meanings of terms like ramp break-over angle, AWD, engine breaking, rebound, viscous coupling to different parts meaning like C-Section Chassis, torsion bars, LSD, UV-Joints etc.
It may be known to many of you, but still I think it can be useful to other newbies like me.

@Mods: Pardon me if something like this is already posted in some other post & I missed it. Please post this to appropriate thread if already existing.

Thanks & Regards,
O_M

:thumbs up nice one @ offroad_maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by badboyscad (Post 987340)

4L = four wheel drive low ratio selected through transfer case.
4H = four wheel drive high ratio selected though transfer case.

@ruffryder@ & anshuman: very crisp and clear explanation, thanks. :)

Glad to know that it is found to be informative by you.
@BBScad:
As ruffyrider & Ansuman has noted, in basic terms, The 4H gear ratio splits the engine power equally among front & rear axle of a 4WD Vehicle in 50:50 manner. i.e. 1:1 Ratio.
In 4L mode, the engine power is delivered to both the axles equally but here more torque is generated as the ratio is split as 2.78:1 in case of Mahindra Jeeps & in Wrangler Rubicon Jeep its 4.10:1 (Best for climbing steep inclines & rock-crawling stufflol:).

To simplify this technical terms you can visualize the scenario in which one gear is rotating the other gear of equal radius:4H & consider one gear of large radius is rotating other gear having shorter radius: 4L. Here ratio 4:1 means for every 1 rotation of larger gear, the shorter one will rotate 4 times (thus multiplying the torque)
Hope its not that bad:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by offroad_maniac (Post 987489)

To simplify this technical terms you can visualize the scenario in which one gear is rotating the other gear of equal radius:4H & consider one gear of large radius is rotating other gear having shorter radius: 4L. Here ratio 4:1 means for every 1 rotation of larger gear, the shorter one will rotate 4 times (thus multiplying the torque)
Hope its not that bad:D

NOT bad at all. i totally get it:thumbs up. thanks again.

Quote:

The 4H gear ratio splits the engine power equally among front & rear axle of a 4WD Vehicle in 50:50 manner. i.e. 1:1 Ratio.

Not in every case,For example Pajero has 2 4h options with and without power split.

Quote:

As ruffyrider & Ansuman has noted, in basic terms, The 4H gear ratio splits the engine power equally among front & rear axle of a 4WD Vehicle in 50:50 manner. i.e. 1:1 Ratio.

In case of GV it is 53:47 split for rear/front.

@ O_M excellent article. Really informative.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RuffRyder (Post 987369)
2H = 2wheel high gearing. Normal rear-wheel drive. Use this with normal driving on tarred roads and dry sand roads. Never drive faster than 100 km/h.

Why should one not drive faster than 100 kph in 2H?

Quote:

Originally Posted by hrag (Post 988182)

Yeah, I too wondered about that. May be he means in 4H in the absence of center diff with LSD.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hrag (Post 988182)

its not that you cannot drive more than 100km/h but it is advised that we should not as it can have adverse effects on the gearbox and the 4x4 cannot maitain ratios of that speed and also it does not make sense to use 4x4 on nice straight even roads..

Swami, you said never drive faster than 100 kph in 2H. In 2H, one can pretty much do anything one wants On The Road. Nothing adverse will happen to the gearbox above 100 kph in 2H.

I guess you intended to put that line under the 4H section and what you originally typed was by mistake.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RuffRyder (Post 988536)
its not that you cannot drive more than 100km/h but it is advised that we should not as it can have adverse effects on the gearbox and the 4x4 cannot maitain ratios of that speed and also it does not make sense to use 4x4 on nice straight even roads..

Why should 4x4 system maintain ratios in 2H? It is not even engaged. I thought you mentioned 2H by mistake, but you are not correcting it.