Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2014, 10:19   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Thar CRDe: Switch to Manual Locking Hubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
So due to the systematic 7D root cause analysis process it was discovered that the fixed flange was causing excessive vibrations. Does it mean fixed flange is inferior to auto locking hubs?
Dear Tanveer - the 7D process never fails. It discloses the root cause in totality. It cannot influence what the organization does with the information that it provides! .

I have evaluated the fixed flanges, there is nothing wrong in using them provided perimeter parts also confirm to the DVPs. Knee jerk reactions never help. Oh come on now! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 11th September 2014, 10:34   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Tanveer - the 7D process never fails. It discloses the root cause in totality. It cannot influence what the organization does with the information that it provides! .

I have evaluated the fixed flanges, there is nothing wrong in using them provided perimeter parts also confirm to the DVPs. Knee jerk reactions never help. Oh come on now! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Ok!
Now I understand!
There is nothing wrong with fixed flange, but due to some design flaw in the Thar it cannot use fixed flange without vibrations above 100kmph
Thanks for the clarification!
Old 11th September 2014, 15:40   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now I understand! There is nothing wrong with fixed flange, but due to some design flaw in the Thar it cannot use fixed flange without vibrations above 100kmph Thanks for the clarification!
Dear Tanveer - your understanding is absolutely incorrect. I have evaluated flange @ 160 kmph continuously @ >1000 kms per day. I repeat my comment "provided perimeter parts also confirm to the DVPs". You may draw the correct conclusion now. I think smiley is called for from my side also, so here goes! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 15th September 2014, 15:47   #34
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2014 Thar CRDe - Fixed Flange vs Free wheeling Hub

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Akshay, can you post a closeup pic of the fixed flange you have got? Ask them if they could change it for you. I know it costs a kidney, but is no big deal.

Spike
Spikey, a friend of mine and a bhpian,has gone through 2 pairs of Autolocking hubs in 7000kms in his thar. And according to him,they create all kinds of noises and fail to engage at times, so just wondering if i should live with fixed flanges. On that note,i havent driven a thar with Auto locking hubs,so cannot comment on vibrations.
Old 15th September 2014, 16:34   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Spikey, a friend of mine and a bhpian,has gone through 2 pairs of Autolocking hubs in 7000kms in his thar. And according to him,they create all kinds of noises and fail to engage at times, so just wondering if i should live with fixed flanges. On that note,i havent driven a thar with Auto locking hubs,so cannot comment on vibrations.
Akshay, do you get vibrations above 100kmph with your fixed flange. What solution has Mahindra offered?
Old 15th September 2014, 16:41   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Akshay, do you get vibrations above 100kmph with your fixed flange. What solution has Mahindra offered?
I have taken it above 100, 4-5 times only; havent felt any excessive vibrations.
However there is so much wind noise and soft top fluttering, may be i didnt notice.
Plan to drive a thar with Auto locking hubs on a highway along with mine soon, then will be able to come to a conclusion.

PS-Just found that Auto locking hubs are priced at 18K per piece
Old 15th September 2014, 22:09   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Spikey, a friend of mine and a bhpian,has gone through 2 pairs of Autolocking hubs in 7000kms in his thar.
Could you please post a few closeup pics of your hubs? I left M&M in 2011, after that, what was done, I'm not fully aware of and hence not in a good position to comment. I can ring a few bells but prefer not to do so.

Cheers
Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 23:03   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Could you please post a few closeup pics of your hubs? I left M&M in 2011, after that, what was done, I'm not fully aware of and hence not in a good position to comment. I can ring a few bells but prefer not to do so.

Cheers
Spike
The flange is covered under the hub cap;I will remove the wheel tommorow morning and then post a picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Old 16th September 2014, 09:36   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Cheers
Spike
Here you go; these are about 9 month old pictures when i had got the thar.
if you want close ups, let me know i will have to take off the wheel and then click.
Attached Thumbnails
Thar CRDe: Switch to Manual Locking Hubs-hub.jpg  

Thar CRDe: Switch to Manual Locking Hubs-ff.jpg  

Old 19th September 2014, 12:59   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Done 12K kms,and i never really noticed anything until today as post 80 the wind noise is simply too much to get rid of that i used to turn up the music volume so never really heard anything. But today i observed carefully,there are some vibrations between 80-90 but it smoothens out after that a bit; but yes there are some vibrations.
Old 19th September 2014, 14:15   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Could you please post a few closeup pics of your hubs? I left M&M in 2011, after that, what was done, I'm not fully aware of and hence not in a good position to comment. I can ring a few bells but prefer not to do so. Cheers. Spike
Dear Pratheesh - hello, how's Germany?

The flanges are same as "what we had used" ( - what else did you expect?). I hope they followed the complete assembly procedure that we had followed when we prepared for EXAMM / AKC down to the last detail, otherwise .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 19th September 2014, 16:41   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Pratheesh - hello, how's Germany?

The flanges are same as "what we had used" ( - what else did you expect?). I hope they followed the complete assembly procedure that we had followed when we prepared for EXAMM / AKC down to the last detail, otherwise .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Hello Sir, I'm doing great in Stuttgart. I start with my job soon. What I learned from you has placed me in a completely different league compared to my "counterparts". These Germans like me for my "finickiness"

Regarding the hubs, what you said above makes me worried as well.

Spike

PS- Please plan a trip to Germany, it will be my pleasure to accompany you to an Autobahn.
Old 19th September 2014, 17:54   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Sir, I'm doing great in Stuttgart. I start with my job soon. What I learned from you has placed me in a completely different league compared to my "counterparts". These Germans like me for my "finickiness" . Regarding the hubs, what you said above makes me worried as well. Please plan a trip to Germany, it will be my pleasure to accompany you to an Autobahn.
Dear Pratheesh - thanks for your comments. I feel so good to know that you are getting recognition from the guys who make the best engineered cars in the world. Those guys know what they are doing. On the Autobahn thing, I would love to "max" a dark blue colored BMW Z4 convertible on the Autobahn, with the top down! Wow, now that would be cool, isn't it? .

Did you see the hub photographs? I saw them on an actual vehicle in a non-OEM workshop in Pune. The hubs were "the same" but the fasteners were not the same. I feel sad for the innocent TeamBHPians, so we must help them. After all it is due to them that our baby has succeeded.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 20th September 2014, 22:23   #44
BHPian

So, could someone please advise why Maruti decided to do away with FWHs for the gypsy many years ago?

What have been the long term issues (if any) of all these police, govt and military gypsies driving 90% on road for all these years without FWHs?
Old 21st September 2014, 07:44   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
[b][u]

Did you see the hub photographs? I saw them on an actual vehicle in a non-OEM workshop in Pune. The hubs were "the same" but the fasteners were not the same. I feel sad for the innocent TeamBHPians, so we must help them. After all it is due to them that our baby has succeeded.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Behram sir; then please help innocent bhpians like me; I am totally confused with people advising not to shift to auto locking hubs since they are not reliable; also the bolero 4WD's come with fixed flanges don't they?
When you fasteners; what are you referring to. Please elaborate

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks