Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2015, 17:42   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar DI: Proposed Buildout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

[Regarding the soon to be launched mini Maruti Suv, the Brezza]

It doesn't have 4WD, why take a long look?
Are you sure about this? The Euro version has AWD as an option. I have not seen anything definitive and official on the Brezza yet from Maruti India. The S-Cross was launched and it definitely does not have any 4x4.
Old 12th October 2015, 05:59   #17
BHPian

@ Dirty Dan
My usage would be mostly on paved roads. I had a Bolero di for past 7 years, loved it simply. Had maintained it very well n even on highways was very satisfied with it as it crossed the 100 mark with ease n was never stressed on long journeys. Sold it to buy the Thar, don't know if it was a wise decision on or. But from your post of being an unsatisfied user, I'm having second thoughts. Technically, it should be more sturdy than regular cars, but you experience says you had lot of issues with it. What to do
Old 12th October 2015, 09:07   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheep007 View Post
@ Dirty Dan

... But from your post of being an unsatisfied user, I'm having second thoughts. Technically, it should be more sturdy than regular cars, but you experience says you had lot of issues with it. What to do
I will not tell you what to do. I have enough trouble telling myself what to do.

I think you will get much better use out of it in the flat Punjab than I have up here in the hills. I think I statistically got a lemon, I would not presume to project my Thar troubles onto all Thar CRDe as a species-wide indictment.

But maybe you should read more posts by more members to get a better idea. If you live near a good M&M dealership, this would be a plus. I do not.

You will see I am now having serious clutch problems, but this clutch has seen good use in many other M&M models. Same is true with most of the other components I have had to repair. So there little intrinsic to the Thar to complain about. Here is a copy of my latest afflictions....

By the way, I started out for Leh via Jammu/Srinagar last month. Before I left I took my Thar CRDe into the dealer for a complete check. Everything good, they said. I started the trip. Lost a wheel bearing at Srinagar, lots of noise from that. After installing the new wheel bearing I could now hear the rear universal disintegrating. Replaced that. Then heard this new universal disintegrating also. Replaced that. Limped back to Pathenkot and had them check my clutch. Replaced the guts of that. Then on my way back to Dharamsala, my clutch started acting up again....still have to sort that out. In the last two weeks my heater switch broke, my window crank lever broke and my door lock broke. While fixing that the mechs broke the inside door panel. I have that taped up. I have sent back to the States for my Barrett M107 and I am going to shoot this thing right in the engine block and end the suspense.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 12th October 2015 at 09:26.
DirtyDan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 06:02   #19
BHPian

Dan,that was beautifully worded:-))Reminded me of Nizzim Ezekiel's poem- Night of the Scorpion!Have always enjoyed reading your posts:-))Keep the Berreta sheathed though- some kindred spirit may yet offer to take the cross from you.I guess 4x4 yourself ,and some others like Dhanush ,SVSantosh probably have used the MDI engine to its potential,and the negative and positive comments and the hints have always been enjoyable and welcome.Thanks to Vinod Nookla also for updating us regarding the Thar DI.All in all I am happy ,I am the owner of a Thar DI,and probably One day ,I may drive in to Himachal , visit my old schoolmates from Sanawar,and take those roads which you mentioned---
Old 12th December 2015, 00:52   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Hey Dirty Dan,
The idea of introducing PS standard in a THAR Di came from the fact that I saw many conversions happening in real world. PS installation is a speciallized job and thats why its there from factory. New Thar Di also features better seats from outgoing CRDe which are far more comfortable and yes they move! Body reinforcement changes that were applicable to Thar CRde have now been carried forward to Di as well. So, now you have a hardy machine that can go to the end of the world and come back without hassle.

The after market upgrades that you listed make lot of sense. Invest in wider axles only if you think its a must. Else just upgrade rims and tyres. You will save lot of money. Invest in a good A/C and heater. Axle ratio change is welcome in hills. Rest of the upgrades are ok.

The only additon I would suggest is to install longer shackles from CRDe (Rear) for better travel both front & rear. Else Di specially rear would break your back. Personally I would like to have much softer ride. For load applications the current set up is just perfect.
Sir is the new DI now 'AC ready'? If yes, where to get it done from?
Regards.
Old 21st December 2015, 13:27   #21
BHPian

Dan,

My tuppence from experience around a few Thars around here.

There are a couple which were routinely chewing up clutches.6 in two years. Dealer was merrily making money replacing them. Blaming a lady driver..

In reality said lady drivers other car has done 1.2 lakh kms on stock clutch .

After our insistence, the flywheel was replaced, and this solved the problem.

Please try the same.

Secondly, the That responds beautifully to a remap and a plumbing fix including an EGR delete. Can give you loads of low end as well.

Can get it done for you.. Ship your ECU to Bangalore..
prabhuav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2016, 21:48   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
Dan,

Secondly, the That responds beautifully to a remap and a plumbing fix including an EGR delete. Can give you loads of low end as well.

Can get it done for you.. Ship your ECU to Bangalore..
Hello Prabhuav, please can you share more details on the Plumbing Fixes, did you also get rid of the CatCon.?

Regards

Shenoy

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks