Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2022, 23:37   #1
Senior - BHPian

1st-gen Mahindra Thar | Turbo leaking oil

I am in the U.S. at the moment, coming back to India in early May. My trusted co-driver tells me my 2013 Thar CRDe with 145km on it is leaking a little oil out of the turbo. Runs good...just leaks a little oil. That's all I know right now.

But I thought I would talk to you guys before I do anything. I have been quoted a 20,000.00 rupee price to fix it. Sight unseen and knowing nothing more, I am wondering what a brand new turbo would cost installed?

Do they rebuild these turbos? Can I trust a rebuild? The rest of the Thar seems sound. Engine is strong runner and there are some new sundry parts in it so I am inclined to try to keep it.

I wish I could give you more info but you now know what I know.
Old 23rd April 2022, 00:09   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar | Turbo leaking oil

Early May doesn’t sound too far away. Maybe take a call once you are back, and can physically inspect the car? If someone drives it daily, request them to keep it parked till you return.
Old 23rd April 2022, 06:15   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

IIRC a brand new turbo from TEL is around 12-13k. Replacing shouldn’t cost more than 1k.

Yes, you might have turbo issues in the old Thar. Not really a long runner. Just change it, get back the peace of mind.

Repairing is also an option but will cost you around 10k.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2022, 12:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
I am in the U.S. at the moment, coming back to India in early May. My trusted co-driver tells me my 2013 Thar CRDe with 145km on it is leaking a little oil out of the turbo. Runs good...just leaks a little oil. That's all I know right now.
Hey DD, where exactly is the leak? When was the last time air intake filter was cleaned / replaced? Before changing anything, I would also suggest to check all the plumbing hoses (on the intake side) up to the intercooler intake side (for oil and deposits).

150K is almost the end of 'useful' life for most components in the car.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2022, 14:57   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
IIRC a brand new turbo from TEL is around 12-13k. Replacing shouldn’t cost more than 1k.

Yes, you might have turbo issues in the old Thar. Not really a long runner. Just change it, get back the peace of mind.

You and I think alike alot. "TEL" is the OEM Mahindra turbo supplier or is this a different turbo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Hey DD, where exactly is the leak? When was the last time air intake filter was cleaned / replaced? Before changing anything, I would also suggest to check all the plumbing hoses (on the intake side) up to the intercooler intake side (for oil and deposits).

Spike
I am a frequent oil changer and often check the air filter and other stuff.
I am kind of fanatic about it. Yeah, it's getting old. But, it burns no oil and really runs strong.

I will certainly check all the plumbing as you suggest. I will post what I find in about two weeks.
Old 23rd April 2022, 15:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

I had the turbo in my Indica rebuilt by an authorised TEL dealer. (The TEL factory in Chennai was closer to my house but they sent me all across town because they prefer dealers to deal with customers).
I had a leak too, i was offered either 2k for a seal replacement or 8k for a core+seal replacement. I opted for the latter.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post4314270 (Indica V2 Turbo - Turbo Failure)
My car didn't run much after the rebuild due to covid and me being abroad and it lasted for 5 years/5k kms.

My mech tells me it's leaking again. This time I'll just get the seals redone

Last edited by greenhorn : 23rd April 2022 at 15:10.
Old 23rd April 2022, 15:11   #7
BHPian

Quote:

I will not suggest repairing if (and only if) a new turbo costs ~ 12-13 thousands. I think that TEL would buy back the old turbo and depending on its health, they may exchange it with a new. So the new turbo might cost 1-2 thousand lesser. I had done this around a decade back when we had the Indigo.

A slight doubt though.

The Thar comes with an FGT or VGT? This price looks to be of a FGT.
Old 23rd April 2022, 17:20   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

May be for manufacturer spec, but definitely not for common man.

If yes, you should tell that to this lady.

Quote:
I will certainly check all the plumbing as you suggest. I will post what I find in about two weeks.

Also check the air filter if its blocked can cause the turbo to spew oil into the intake.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2022, 22:42   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
May be for manufacturer spec, but definitely not for common man.
Well, if that was the case, there would not have been a "special" video of a Pajero doing 1 million kms, every car on the road would do that. Products are designed with a "useful life" when used under defined conditions, for cars this could be expressed in terms of kilometers or time. In order to achieve this target, manufacturer specifies a maintenance / service interval. In this case, the turbo has run 145K Kms, so it was implied that the component could have failed in its "wear-out phase", which is not anomalous.

Quote:
If yes, you should tell that to this lady. https://Youtu.be/WMRZUljZfv8
Reliability of a product is not determined by considering a sample size of 01 unit. I think, may be you should look up a bit on reliability and failure distribution.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2022, 10:38   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar | Turbo leaking oil

Quote:

Reliability of a product is not determined by considering a sample size of 01 unit. I think, may be you should look up a bit on reliability and failure distribution.
When did I talk about reliability? Read my post again, slowly.
Quote:
My reply was for your this statement. And the point being, if that was the case, then all vehicles above 150k kms would've been sold off at dirt cheap prices. But, there are a lot of vehicles which run pretty well even after 150k kms.

A 150k kms run LC would right now demand very close to the new price in Oz..

A common man wouldnt spend time and money on replacing "most" components of his car. May be a rare breakdown would be ok. But not most of his car.
Quote:
. I think, may be you should look up a bit on reliability and failure distribution.
Why?

Last edited by dhanushs : 24th April 2022 at 10:40.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2022, 12:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When did I talk about reliability? Read my post again, slowly.
You didn't talk, but the video you posted, points clearly to that aspect - reliability, see the video again, slowly.

Quote:
A common man wouldnt spend time and money on replacing "most" components of his car. May be a rare breakdown would be ok. But not most of his car.
I never said about replacement. A common man doesn't service / repair / replace "most" components of the car all at once, some components need attention earlier, some later, point being components fail. While there will still be some which continue to work beyond their designed life.

Quoting my original post:

Quote:
I'm not saying the product should fail immediately after its designed life, and vehicle owners should replace most components of the car; as being interpreted / portrayed by you - No!

Components like steering wheel, gear knobs, seats, pedals get worn out after a 150K usage, but are still usable and function, that means they have served their useful life - that does not mean they need to be replaced, as being interpreted by you - below.

Quote:

Quote:
Do note that just because a car is maintained well for a lakh kms doesn't guarantee that it goes on the same way for the next lakh also. The components - especially those in a turbo charged one with EGR, intercooling, various hoses, cooling & electrical systems are generally well past their prime for a 1 lakh kms driven car. Now this car is just 5 year old - so generally the hoses, electricals might hold up well for another 2-3 years easily. But beyond 1 L Kms, generally engine, suspension components need overhauls and replacements simply due to normal wear and tear.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-...ml#post4825097 (A new diesel car under Rs. 11 lakhs?)

Quote:
My reply was for your this statement. And the point being, if that was the case, then all vehicles above 150k kms would've been sold off at dirt cheap prices. But, there are a lot of vehicles which run pretty well even after 150k kms.
It seems you did not understand my point. Vehicles do run beyond 150k, that does not mean they don't encounter failures. I know of a Scorpio nearing 1 million kilometers, this car has I believe all major components (except may be for the Chassis) repaired - reason? Some components had failed, the other components had served their useful life.

Quote:
Why?
Never mind, leave it.

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 24th April 2022 at 12:07. Reason: format
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 10:41   #12
BHPian

Quote:

Spike
Hello Pratheesh

Off-topic but as far as I remember reading on one of the Thar forums, useful life under RWUP is 3,50,000kms.
And yes, as quoted by Dhanushs, Landcruiser does not lose its value even after 1,50,000kms. Recently witnessed a purchase of a 2008 LC V8 petrol with 2,50,000kms and as good as new. And this high mileage goes for all Toyotas.

Is it that M&M or any other manufacturers keep the useful life tab at 1,50,000kms? (which is too less in my opinion)
Old 16th May 2022, 11:29   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You and I think alike alot. "TEL" is the OEM Mahindra turbo supplier or is this a different turbo?
M&M OE turbo seems to cost 30k, as per Boodmo: https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-turb...gcaad-6631977/

TEL looks like an aftermarket brand: https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-turb...mbly-38210534/

Another aftermarket one called Suotepower: https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-turbocharger-56415135/

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 16th May 2022 at 11:30.
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 14:09   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Hello Pratheesh

Off-topic but as far as I remember reading on one of the Thar forums, useful life under RWUP is 3,50,000kms.

Is it that M&M or any other manufacturers keep the useful life tab at 1,50,000kms? (which is too less in my opinion)
Hello Mr. Vaidya,

150K for most components (depending on metals, plastics, polymers, glass, fluids, other materials), except for components like Chassis, Instrument Panel which are normally set higher. Each manufacturer has their own criteria, 150K is a thumb estimate.

Look at it in another way, why do manufacturers offer warranty in terms of 'N' years or 'X' kms, whichever is earlier?

Quote:
Landcruiser does not lose its value even after 1,50,000kms. Recently witnessed a purchase of a 2008 LC V8 petrol with 2,50,000kms and as good as new. And this high mileage goes for all Toyotas.
We must keep in mind, the comparison is between a Toyota (that too a LC) and a Mahindra.

Spike
Old 1st August 2022, 08:42   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... But, there are a lot of vehicles which run pretty well even after 150k kms.
Yeah. Mine runs like new, actually. I change the oil regularly and I take care of it. In North America I routinely drove diesel 4X4 pickup trucks 300,000 kilometers before trading them in for new equipment. I would have replaced the brake pads, alternator, water pump, batteries...once or twice. And they ran like new when I sold them.

This Thar has classic jeep looks, it is not too large a vehicle and is relatively easy to drive in tight places, has 4X4 drive, and chicks dig it.
I am gonna keep it for awhile unless I have major problems with it or can't get parts.

Soon I am going to put a new turbo core in it. There's no sense in taking half measures on a vehicle that has 148,000 kilometers on it. That should preempt any further trouble with that little gliche.

Also soon I will rebuild the alternator and starter for the second time. I do this before they go bad. I really don't like standing on the side of the road with a broke down vehicle with my thumb up my exhaust pipe.

It also needs new paint badly. Will keep you all posted especially on the turbo. Even with the leaky turbo, it runs great, by the way. B.D. did pretty well on the original Thar. Not perfect, but okay.

Here is my 2013 Thar with the steel half-cab top I fabbed for it....another reason to keep it, sort of got it the way I want it.
Attached Images

DirtyDan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks