Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2008, 17:13   #31

One more thing guys... Don't fit a Isuzu Trooper 4x4 gear box on a jeep. Even though the gear box is smooth (like a car) and the 4x4 performs well, spares for the 4x4 gear box are real tough to come by...

Practical issues tell me you should fit a normal Jeep gear box ( 3+1 or 4+1) with Isuzu Engine but make custom adapter plates.
Old 17th April 2008, 18:26   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandu View Post
I agree Spitfire... But not all Jeeps are used by their owners for off-roading.
Every Jeep owner makes some compromises. Some for economy, some for looks, some for everyday utility;

I feel the moment a Jeep is fitted with alloy wheels and radial tires, a good deal of 4x4 capability is gone. A MM Classic with alloy wheels and radials, would perform far better off the road with normal wheel discs and 7.00 x 16' NDMS tires. Here we compromise off-road ability for looks and tarmac handling.

-Anand
How does fitting alloy wheels and radials compromise off-road ability? Alloys are more resistant to damage and the best off-road tyres today are radials. Have a look at BFG Krawler and Michelin XZL/XML.
Alfa_Kilo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2008, 07:33   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandu View Post
One more thing guys... Don't fit a Isuzu Trooper 4x4 gear box on a jeep. Even though the gear box is smooth (like a car) and the 4x4 performs well, spares for the 4x4 gear box are real tough to come by...

Practical issues tell me you should fit a normal Jeep gear box ( 3+1 or 4+1) with Isuzu Engine but make custom adapter plates.
How realiable are the custom plates? I'm told there will be frequent issues on reliability..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa_Kilo View Post
How does fitting alloy wheels and radials compromise off-road ability? Alloys are more resistant to damage and the best off-road tyres today are radials. Have a look at BFG Krawler and Michelin XZL/XML.
The alloy wheels and readial tires are good for most situations..but the 7.00x16 NDMS excels in slush..And can withstand more sidewall abuse!
Old 4th June 2008, 15:28   #34
BHPian

Guys, check out the pic. Isuzu DSL in a Low Bonnet Willys. Have to ask my friend if i can post the pics of the jeep. We are looking for a orignal petrol engine of the Willys. Any help from you guys will be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Isuzu Diesel in a CJ3B-untitled.jpg  

Old 1st December 2008, 18:15   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by egangsta View Post
Guys, check out the pic. Isuzu DSL in a Low Bonnet Willys. Have to ask my friend if i can post the pics of the jeep. We are looking for a orignal petrol engine of the Willys. Any help from you guys will be appreciated.
Hi Egangsta,

The jeep shown in your pic seems to be a low bonnet Ford. The head lights of a Ford were inside the front grill.

I too had a low bonnet Ford fitted with an Isuzu 2.4 with a 4 speed gearbox and 4x4. The problem i faced was that the oil filter would get busted while offroading as the engine is placed lower in the Ford as compared to the CJ3b or the MM540's. But the performance was amazing.

Regards,

Randeep
Old 2nd December 2008, 10:14   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by randeep04 View Post
..The problem i faced was that the oil filter would get busted while offroading as the engine is placed lower in the Ford as compared to the CJ3b or the MM540's.
Randeep,
is it a thing of concern even in the 540's? Also, I guess the petrol Isuzu will also have the similar issue?
-regards,
Old 2nd December 2008, 12:39   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
Randeep,
is it a thing of concern even in the 540's? Also, I guess the petrol Isuzu will also have the similar issue?
-regards,
Hi Kandisa,

This problem will not come about in a MM540 as there is more space for the engine to breathe. The engine does not hang as it fits directly on the stock engines mounting. The Isuzu petrol is an amazing fit in the MM540, infact Mahindra had launched an MM540 with a factory fitted Isuzu petrol engine.

Regards,

Randeep

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks