Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2008, 12:39   #1
BHPian

Difference in Chassis Design of Army V/s Regular 4WD Mahindra MM550

Hello guys,

Sorry if I missed it out somewhere,but I really wanted to know the actual difference in Army MM550 & Regular MM550 4WD chassis design.
Specially on fronts of chassis design & overall strength of ladder frame.
All I know is difference between engine type & tyres (Sandgrip on Army)

So here are some of the initial queries that I have in my mind :

1. Is chassis/ frame of Army spec MM550 stronger than that of regular? If
so, then by what means?)

2. Can we install the Force Gurkha's Front (I think it's IFS only) & Real
Differentials with locks on a Mahindra Jeep keeping everything else
(like T'case) the same?

So one question arises in my mind, that if someone changes the color, tyres & seat arrangements (i.e. External appearance) of a regular MM550 to that of an Army version, how to make out the real difference.

(This can happen if someone not knowledgeable enough goes to a 2nd hand shop asking for a military jeep? )

Your suggestion is recommended,

Thanks in advance.
Old 16th August 2008, 19:14   #2
Senior - BHPian

Maniac, thats a nice set of questions you asked.

i will try to get some info from my sources.

cheers
cheers:
Old 17th August 2008, 00:23   #3
BHPian

Quote:
So one question arises in my mind, that if someone changes the color, tyres & seat arrangements (i.e. External appearance) of a regular MM550 to that of an Army version, how to make out the real difference.
Hi Maniac,

I am a new member and this is my first post. I am hazarding a reply to your above question on the basis of knowledge gained, reading over threads of the 4x4 forum and some experience gained first hand. Experts, please correct if I am wrong.

The ladder chassis members in MM540, like any other jeep, protrude out of the body shell and a sort of bumper gets bolted/welded in front. One has to get down and observe the right hand side main ladder member. Towards the end you can see, engravings that will tell the model out. If an original Army version, you should see the following:

550 XDB

There is something else also written, but I do not have it at the top of my memory now. Again, experts can comment.
Attached Thumbnails
Difference in Chassis Design of Army V/s Regular 4WD Mahindra MM550-chassis_mark.jpg  

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th August 2008 at 22:46. Reason: Quote box added. Please use the QUOTE button when quoting a reply. Thanks.
Old 21st August 2008, 20:40   #4
BHPian

Thank you guys for replying to my post.
I was just wondering, what makes the chassis of MM550 XD stronger than regular MM550 ?
Old 22nd August 2008, 12:56   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear offroadmaniac - MM540s original specifications were 95.5" wheelbase, 51" wheeltrack front and rear, 100mm*50mm C section chassis. In January 1998, the NGCS (new generation chassis and suspension) was introduced in the Armada which later went on to become the present Bolero. This was essentially a 115mm*60mm constant section box chassis having very good torsional rigidity. This chassis got adapted on the MM540s made after this time, but retained the wheelbasae and track. Please do not think of swapping chassis as all parts are different.

Hope this clarifies.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2008, 16:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

Mm550xd Ngcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear offroadmaniac - MM540s original specifications were 95.5" wheelbase, 51" wheeltrack front and rear, 100mm*50mm C section chassis. In January 1998, the NGCS (new generation chassis and suspension) was introduced in the Armada which later went on to become the present Bolero. This was essentially a 115mm*60mm constant section box chassis having very good torsional rigidity. This chassis got adapted on the MM540s made after this time, but retained the wheelbasae and track. Please do not think of swapping chassis as all parts are different.
I think the NGCS were offered on the MM550XDs post 2003-04.
Old 22nd August 2008, 18:30   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post

Hope this clarifies.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dear dhabar ji,

I think the track on NGCS for front axle is different as it is wider. This was done to improve the turing radius and also for stability purpose. I have noticed on army NGCS 550 XDb and even on bolero the difference between font & rear track is over 100mm. This is not seen on any off roader. It becomes difficuilt to transverse difficult terrain as fron and rear wheel will follow diffrent track....especially in conditions like river crossing on wodden logs etc.

Pre 2003 Army XDb were alsmost similar to MM540 chassis except that few vital areas on chassis were strengthened especially crossmembers. Where exactly they were done is what you have to confirm:-) Also i think the steering system was of heavy duty to support 7.50 16 sand masters...correct me if wrong

regards

vinod
Old 22nd August 2008, 18:33   #8
Senior - BHPian

Also, will the current MM550 NGCS suspension match the suspension articulation of old MM540? I guess not. If yes...then RTI figures please?
Old 22nd August 2008, 20:41   #9
BHPian

If new generation MM550 XDP are built upon NGCS which they are using for Bolero also? Then Bolero Invader's Chassis must be as strong as XDP?

there is a thread in "what car?" section that has details of latest Army auction of tata Shaktimans, MM550 XDs & lots of Gypsies. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...m-d-gypsy.html
Sad that the auctions are not conducted anywhere near here.

Regards,
Raviraj
Old 23rd August 2008, 00:59   #10
BHPian

'B' pillar has a aluminium tablet giving out the model and other details like the year of mfg. the engine and chassis number etc.This differentiates between the other models.
Presence of the oil cooler in the military jeep is another indication of being authentic.
I have noticed that only 550 is available with the option of windshield opening on hinges on the top.
Old 23rd August 2008, 01:25   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
2. Can we install the Force Gurkha's Front (I think it's IFS only) & Real
(like T'case) the same?
I am waiting for someone to answer this. I was actually floored by the question.
Old 23rd August 2008, 05:44   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I am waiting for someone to answer this. I was actually floored by the question.
Thats a nice question. really that would be a really cost effective & great way to add more capabilities to ones MM-4x4 vehicles.

BUT, even if it was possible, where would you get Gurkha's Diffs?.
Old 23rd August 2008, 10:21   #13
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can we install the Force Gurkha's Front (I think it's IFS only) & Real
(like T'case) the same?
Assuming the differentials are Dana units for the Mahindra why not source difflocks and install them instead of trying to suit Gurkha mechanicals. It might be worth someone's effort to identify the makes and models of diff locks commercially available
Old 23rd August 2008, 18:24   #14
BHPian

Thanks Susan for the differentiating info,

Regarding the Gurkha diffs on 550s: I thought that if the diif ratios in MM550 & that of Gurkha can be matched then it will be easier to install a differential with factory fitted locks,. As Khan_sultan has tried out an excellent job of installing a lock in his Gypsy, but I guess it was, at first very confusing & tension-wala job for the owner & also to the mechanics.
So just a thought, as Gurkha diffs ( I think it should be available as spares at Force shops) can be fitted in any garage.

Also would like to add, that Mahindra tried to bring some excitement in classic 4X4 scene by developing a "Mod it yourself" kinda concept in Year (I guess) 2000 by bringing out Mahindra Quadro. But this effort was a flop as it got no response. I guess that's why they stopped the production of MM550/ 40s, thinking people here are not into classic looks anymore.
( Do they need a signature drive??)

Last edited by Jaggu : 23rd August 2008 at 18:37. Reason: 2 smilie per post please
Old 23rd August 2008, 18:43   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So just a thought, as Gurkha diffs ( I think it should be available as spares at Force shops) can be fitted in any garage.
No true. Not only Force workshops won't have it, even the Force factory won't have it. From what I have heard, the Gurkha diff locks are imported on order.

Most Viewed