Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2008, 19:15   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
No true. Not only Force workshops won't have it, even the Force factory won't have it. From what I have heard, the Gurkha diff locks are imported on order.
Oh thats bad. Another reason why the Gurkhas are hard to available. But the imported parts & offroad ability truly justifies the cost of one.

Its just that I don't like the tubular chase of Gurkha. I know that theory wise tubular provides better strength but have seen the Traxx's & Judo's chase after rusting. they looks irrepairable. Instead rectangular chase like JEEPS provide both the load carrying capacity & strength as well, because they have got tubular cross members for additional strength.
So personally, I think that a Mahindra Jeep with diff lock (atleast at the rear) can surely out-perform the Gurkha in terms of performance, reliability & ownership satisfaction.
Old 23rd August 2008, 22:22   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear offroadmaniac - MM540s original specifications were 95.5" wheelbase, 51" wheeltrack front and rear, 100mm*50mm C section chassis. In January 1998, the NGCS (new generation chassis and suspension) was introduced in the Armada which later went on to become the present Bolero. This was essentially a 115mm*60mm constant section box chassis having very good torsional rigidity. This chassis got adapted on the MM540s made after this time, but retained the wheelbasae and track. Please do not think of swapping chassis as all parts are different.

Hope this clarifies.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

I just measured the chassis of my 1999 MM550. It is 100mm x 50mm c section.

I guess I did not get the newer more stiff chassis.

Now I am seriously thinking about swapping chassis! So what exactly would be different and present a challenge for a chassis swap?
Old 23rd August 2008, 22:54   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
I just measured the chassis of my 1999 MM550. It is 100mm x 50mm c section.

I guess I did not get the newer more stiff chassis.

Now I am seriously thinking about swapping chassis! So what exactly would be different and present a challenge for a chassis swap?
I remeber Arka mentioned to me that only the post 2003 or 2004 540s came with this. Mine is a 2002 model. I can check mine. I also know a chap with a 2003 in Kottayam which looks the same as mine. I suspect this swap is from 2004 MM540s. My understanding is that the NGC also came with the new bolt pattern/PCD for the Rims matching the scorpio/bolero and different from the earlier pattern matching the gypsy.
Old 23rd August 2008, 23:38   #19
BHPian

Hello All,

I think this is turning out to be a "tension wali baat " for the owners of pre-2000 MM540s. My thread is all about the difference in Army MM550 & regular versions of MM550. As Susan had clearly pointed the difference. I think not having having a NGCS chassis on earlier XDPs doesnt mean they are no good, so please don't think about swapping it.

Also I came to know that Army version chassis is similar to regular version jeep in design & specifications, its just that they are re-enforced with some added cross-members and some extra metal plates to some specific points (I am not sure exactly)

Talking about NGCS Chassis (Only mentioned on the mahindra defence site> under MM550 XDP), I think (may be) it is also used in Major also. So I think in todays date Mahindra Major 4WD is the only JEEP one can buy brand new.

Thanks & Regards,
OM
Old 4th September 2008, 00:53   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear offroadmaniac - MM540s original specifications were 95.5" wheelbase, 51" wheeltrack front and rear, 100mm*50mm C section chassis. In January 1998, the NGCS (new generation chassis and suspension) was introduced in the Armada which later went on to become the present Bolero. This was essentially a 115mm*60mm constant section box chassis having very good torsional rigidity. This chassis got adapted on the MM540s made after this time, but retained the wheelbasae and track. Please do not think of swapping chassis as all parts are different.

Hope this clarifies.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Thank you Dhabharji for your detailed description on this.

I have also seen that the old (pre-2004) Mahindra's had kind of frames that were open from Inside (I guess this is what is called as C-Section Frame) & newer Mahindra's has got these kind of sealed rectangular tubing frames(Is this called as constant section chassis?) I suppose this is what Mahindra calls as NGCS. right?
Attached Thumbnails
Difference in Chassis Design of Army V/s Regular 4WD Mahindra MM550-gpwchassis.jpg  

Difference in Chassis Design of Army V/s Regular 4WD Mahindra MM550-ngcs.jpg  

offroad_maniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2009, 00:49   #21
Senior - BHPian

1 is there any difference in body?
(i.e the gauge of still plate used )

2 are chassis of new gen. mm550xd & invader same
or they are different.

one question for sir DHABHAR.BEHRAM .

what is the widest track available in mahindra .

i know of
classic 96 track f/r 1250 weight capacity f/r 907/1134 kg
mm540dp 97 track f/r 1290 weight capacity f/r 907/1134 kg
maxx 04 track f/r 1443/1498 weight capacity f/r 1000/1700 kg
fj 640 97 track f/r ? / ? weight capacity f/r 1770/2300 kg
Old 21st July 2010, 08:59   #22
Senior - BHPian

hi guys
one question'
dose 2005 army ngcs 550 came with 4+1 speed GB or 5+1 speed GB?
Quote:
Mahindra MM550XD - NGCS (New Generation Chassis & Suspension) jeep, Its a Manufacturing 2005 Le test Model, restored to brand new showroom condition, run only 6000 KM after restored,
2489 cc DIESEL XD3P Engine,
Maximum Horse Power76 @ 4500 RPM (DIN70020)
Maximum Torque15.3 kgm @ 2000 RPM (DIN70020)
New Generation Box-Section Chassis & New Generation Suspension Front & Rear Semi-elliptical lsprints with hydraulic telescopic shock absorbers,
4 speed Gear, 2nd, 3rd and 4th synchromesh, floor shift
4X4 Four wheel drive Two Speed single shift lever provided on floor, Ratio : High 1:1, Low 2.46:1,
Rear Axle Semi Floating Hypoid Type. Capacity : 1134 kgs. Ratio : 4.88 : 1: with limited slip differential (LSD)
Brakes Hydraulic with Tandem Master Cylinder with vaccume assisted servo. Front disc type Rear drum type(11'' * 12 '') HNSS Parking : Operates on rear service brakes Hand lever and cable type
a ngcs 550 for sale for 4,00,000/- .
Team-BHP Classifieds - MM550XD NGCS (New Generation Chassis & Suspension) Manufacturing 2005 - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

Last edited by jeepster : 21st July 2010 at 09:00.
Old 21st July 2010, 09:06   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Manymore of these NGCS 550s will start hitting the Mayapuri market soon, so for a stock vehicle I don't think there is any need to spend 4 lakhs unless you absolutely have to have it right away...

The thing to keep in mind is that if Army 550s are auctioned before their normal operating life, which is generally approx 10 years and 100,000 kilometers (judging by the age/km of the vehicles that hit the auction market), these are typically accident damaged vehicles.

The NGCS was launched with the XD3P and 4+1 gear box. If I recall Major Sandy had mentioned that he has seen 5+1 in the post 2007 models which I feel will be the same spec as the Legend.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 21st July 2010 at 09:11.
Old 27th July 2010, 09:10   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
The NGCS was launched with the XD3P and 4+1 gear box. If I recall Major Sandy had mentioned that he has seen 5+1 in the post 2007 models which I feel will be the same spec as the Legend.
Same spec but with different axle ratio. Legend comes with 3.73.

Spike
Old 1st September 2010, 13:25   #25
BHPian

This is what I could get from another 4x4 forum:

The major difference in the MM540 New Generation Chassis(NGC) and the old one are the long members. The old chassis has C –section long members while the NGC has box section long members. The height and width of old long member will be 100mmX 50mm while that of NGC long member is 115mm X 60mm. The old chassis had a T-section in the front where the bumper is fitted while the NGC has a round pipe cross member and no T-Section. The Second cross member under the front grill was a box section with bend on both ends in old chassis while in the NGC it is two C- Sections closed together with a hole on the right for the steering joint to pass through. The NGC body mounting hard point dimensions are same and you can swap the old chassis with NGC.

The box section NGC came in 1997-98 in the Armada. For the civilian MM550 DP /XD/XDB I think that in 2004 only Mahindra had supplied army MM550 with NGC. In 2003 MM550 civilian JEEPs production was stopped but I think it was available on order for some time, especially institutional sales. The NGC has a new type steering box behind the front bumper which is smoother and more precise. In the suspension side they had longer and wider leaf springs. The front and rear axles were wider with a track of 1443mm Front and 1346mm rear. All together the NGC felt solid and had better ride and handling compared to the older JEEPs.
Mahindra went in for box section chassis as they had problems of chassis cracking. In think for normal mild off-road use the old chassis was O.K but if you fly or dive in the JEEP the chassis can develop cracks. Some people prefer the old chassis for off-roading as it had more flex improving the suspension travel and articulation slightly. From the world war JEEP C-Section chassis to NGC the basic chassis design remains the same. If you wish you can also box your chassis by welding another C- Section making it stronger.
aa_asif is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2010, 20:49   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
H The chassis is same as army one but only thing is that perch points are altered as it doesn't have to take that monster 7.50 -16 tyre. And yes the steering here is manual RCBT.
why change to perch points?
Old 4th December 2010, 02:35   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
why change to perch points?
May be for better on road Handling??? I am not sure though.
Also it was mentioned in the Thar MDi thread that the leaf shackles were directly attached to the chassis of 550XDB NGCS & here in MDi there are separate mount points on Chassis & on those points the leaf shackles are attached.
Though they look smaller, we can always add a bit longer shackles & then can go in for larger dia. tyres as wheel is already 16". But the track width is kept to 51" only.
Old 13th July 2011, 11:03   #28
BHPian

Re: Mm550xd Ngcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
I think the NGCS were offered on the MM550XDs post 2003-04.
Would there be a particular chasis identification number for NGCS 550's ?
Old 13th July 2011, 14:34   #29
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mm550xd Ngcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrut View Post
Would there be a particular chasis identification number for NGCS 550's ?
if the chassis is like the box section like the bolero its the NGCS one.

see the following pic for reference.
the box section chassis.

the regular c section chassis.

for more details see given links.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...n-chassis.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-technical/74050-various-types-chassis-sections-used-ladder-frame-construction.html

EDIT: the chassis number is stamped just above the steering box on the chassis. (as seen in first pic)

(not at the red arrows)

EDIT2:
search for this plate on the 'B' pillar of a NGCS 550. (passenger side?)
or search above the battery under bonnet.

Last edited by jeepster : 13th July 2011 at 14:50.
jeepster is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks