Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2008, 13:50   #1
Senior - BHPian

DIY air intake snorkel - with photos

guys i found this DIY snorkel, which is very easy and the material is available in hardware shops.

once you guys see the photos, you will know what items are required.

i hope to find more DIY for all of jeepers here and post them. please dont give me any credit, i just found it and posting for all of us.

happy making!cheers:

i hope many jeepers take advantage of this DIY snorkel.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY air intake snorkel - with photos-sn1.jpg  

DIY air intake snorkel - with photos-sn2.jpg  

DIY air intake snorkel - with photos-sn3.jpg  

DIY air intake snorkel - with photos-sn4.jpg  

DIY air intake snorkel - with photos-sn5.jpg  

DIY air intake snorkel - with photos-sn6.jpg  

DIY air intake snorkel - with photos-13042008970.jpg  

Last edited by Rehaan : 14th September 2008 at 15:42. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the EDIT button to add to an existing post within 20 minutes instead of postnig another consecutive post.
Old 14th September 2008, 13:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

Another nice use of sewer pipes. Good work bro.
Old 15th September 2008, 00:15   #3
BHPian

Tata Safari DIY snorkel

Hi all,
have a look at this link: Instalacion Snorkel en un Tata Safari - Portal 4x4 Rutas excursiones noticias y eventos Dakar
This are Spanish people that build the snorkel for the Safari.

Ciao

Ignazio
Old 15th September 2008, 10:42   #4
BHPian

Isn't it a T pipe in that case to what is the other side of the section connected ? Parm, any more number of pictures ? and I worried whether M-seal can really be that water tight !!

Last edited by rranjith_kum : 15th September 2008 at 10:46.
Old 15th September 2008, 16:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

thats the only number of photos i got for this home made snorkel.
Old 15th September 2008, 16:54   #6
Team-BHP Support

Parm, there is no point to this snorkel if water fording is the intention.

Checkout this detailed water-proofing advice: Yahoo! Groups
Old 15th September 2008, 17:12   #7
BANNED

I did try fabricating one for the Classic, went the whole hog. Fitted it, started rattling like crazy and eventually discarded it. Looked crude too
Old 14th January 2009, 09:00   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
I did try fabricating one for the Classic, went the whole hog. Fitted it, started rattling like crazy and eventually discarded it. Looked crude too
Spitfire, Can you post a picture please.
Old 14th January 2009, 10:02   #9
BHPian

Brilliant DIY.
During rains that free flow air intake snorkel will double up as a free flow water intake too !!

Cheers
Old 14th January 2009, 10:10   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotzuk View Post
Brilliant DIY.
During rains that free flow air intake snorkel will double up as a free flow water intake too !!

Cheers
Good point there.

Wont it be more water retardant if its bent a little more downwords?

As Laxman's Safari one?

Cheers

Vinay Rathore
Old 14th January 2009, 13:30   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKing View Post
Spitfire, Can you post a picture please.
No picture buddy. This was sometime back. I do have line sketches of the length of the hose pipes required and the clamps that had to be fabricated.

Was a very bad project. Was totally DIY, didnt spend more then 1000 bucks on the whole setup. Patching up the stupid hole i made in the bonnet was costlier

Not worth it or required. I never fordged any water body deep enough to justify the snorkel. Eventually it got loose and started vibrating - bad engineering.

Like DD said trying to save your electricals is a bigger challenge.

But if you have to have it - there is lot of info on the net on how to make one. But a lot of parameters are to be considered. If you can see how the one on the Gurkha is made it may give you a fair idea.

Does any of the Army 550's come with one? If they do that would be a good reference.
Old 8th August 2012, 20:14   #12
Team-BHP Support

Re: DIY air intake snorkel - with photos

I have a generic question about snorkels, but this is the only thread which talks about snorkels, so here goes.
I have seen many vehicles with snorkel, and the inlet facing forward. At high speed, in torrential(I am talking about 10cm/hr kind of torrential) rain, won't lot of water go into the engine through the snorkel? Will it not damage the engine?
Now Safari Snorkels have a design which allows heavier rain drops to fall "out". However, most desi snorkels I have seen do not have any special structure

Last edited by tsk1979 : 8th August 2012 at 20:16.
Old 9th August 2012, 21:09   #13
Senior - BHPian

^^^
The paper element would become damp and choke up well before it lets liquid water through. (I am not talking of the inlet being dunked under water)

The original snorkel (used on Diesel Electric submarines) had elaborate water traps. And the collected water was pumped out. Never really looked critically at car snorkels, but am sure a properly designed one needs a water trap.

Not related to a snorkel, but personal experience (NA Petrol) has made me very sceptical of 'Ram Air' intakes.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2012, 00:38   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
At high speed, in torrential(I am talking about 10cm/hr kind of torrential) rain, won't lot of water go into the engine through the snorkel? Will it not damage the engine?
Now Safari Snorkels have a design which allows heavier rain drops to fall "out". However, most desi snorkels I have seen do not have any special structure
Yes Safari snokels separates water. I have a counter question to your q. Many of recent cars (petrol and diesel) have ram air intakes where a funnel faces the front through the grill (even the puny alto and wagonr). Will they also not behave same as a 'desi' snorkel facing forward?

I am speculating that the rain water is not enough to cause a hydrolock. Inlet needs to submerged in water.

cheers
vishwas

Last edited by vishwaschettri : 13th August 2012 at 00:41. Reason: Typo
Old 15th August 2012, 21:16   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwaschettri View Post
Yes Safari snokels separates water. I have a counter question to your q. Many of recent cars (petrol and diesel) have ram air intakes where a funnel faces the front through the grill (even the puny alto and wagonr). Will they also not behave same as a 'desi' snorkel facing forward?

I am speculating that the rain water is not enough to cause a hydrolock. Inlet needs to submerged in water.

cheers
vishwas

An observation - if you see the snorkels for LR Defenders - they're mostly mushroom shaped - not ram air intakes - is this because of the wet weather in UK ? Same is the case for pre-cleaners on heavy truck diesel engines

As I understand - a snorkel serves the function of assisting in delivering clean, dry and cold air to the engine,
so if an NA engine has the air intake specified @ xyz cfm (cubic feet per minute) - for optimal fuel burning, how does 'ram'ming air into the intake help ?

Unless this serves as a cheap supercharger alternative?

Let's take the water fording scenario - you've got to keep the air intake above water for obvious reasons, shouldn't the vehicle exhaust also be raised by the same logic (not submerged) ?
lugnut is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks