Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2011, 21:24   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: Articulating on Articulation

^^^^
Hi,
Can someone put on record the Thar's suspension travel.

My personal opinion: For the CRDE (S uv optimised for the road), an antisway bar is advantageous. Just removing it without any other suspension recalibrations will lead to substantially increased oversteer.

I think GM was playing around with a system where a pin locked/ unlocked the antisway bar under control of the ESP black box. Might be mistaken. Googlers pls. help.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 9th February 2011, 11:11   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
^^^^
Hi,
Cant read Russian (Google translate zindabad), but infer they are referring to portal axles. You are right. But portal axles are so exotic that these are excluded from normal thought processes! (Incidentally, one thing I've always wondered about was the thought process behind Shaktiman's driveline. Any illumination?)

Axle tramp is a dynamic phenomenon. Reaction when one pushes too much of torque through a solid axle setup. (Most noticeable on smooth roads during start of a drag involving Ambassadors or Premiers.) Is that what people are referring to? When one is precision guiding ones ride through hostile terrain?

Regards
Sutripta

Hi Sutripta,

The Shaktiman on MAN630 has a very unique Portal Axle system.

1) Semi I-Beam Construction, the Differential is Bolted to an I-Beam, which becomes the load bearing structure; instead of Axles Tubes, which can increase the weight considerably, in case of a 3-5Ton Truck.

2)The Portal Reduction box is unique as it is not a Planetary Reduction, Hub, neither is it a proper Portal Drop Box (UNIMOG/VOLVO/SUMB) which significantly increases GC. The Reduction improves the vehicles off-road ability, by decreasing/compensating for loss of torque through the drive line.

Axle Tramp is 4WD conditions can be due to 4WD Low (more Torque) which can deflect the Leaf Springs.

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2011, 20:37   #138
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Hi,
Thanks for the info regarding Shaktimans. But what I was actually interested in knowing was the thought process behind designing such a system, the 'know why' rather than 'know what' or 'know how'.

Re: Axle tramp:- My original query was seeking an explanation for statements like 'In a Solid axle, when one wheel goes up, the other pushes down harder'.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 4th October 2013, 14:29   #139
BANNED

So not being able to locate any other thread for my thought spins etc, posting it here..

Any one remembers or have seen the very early mm 540 ?
which has the rear axle leaf perches brackets just under the chassis -- just like the front .

As far as I remember ,this particular early 540s had a reputation of toppling because,

# 1 people were not used for the new Peugeot power, compared with the old " Inter "

# 2 the set up I mentioned above must be contributing towards more body roll ( but isnt it a good thing for off roads ? )

# 3 this perches were later moved out side , possibly to give more stability ? -- looks like.

Now , for the " articulation " purpose, can this be done again? I think its not possible with the NGCS , but can it be done in the old " C " type 540 ??

Sudarshan
Old 27th January 2014, 15:52   #140
BHPian

While waiting for my friend near my Work place, I noticed a LCV carrying some interesting design in Leaf Spring setup. I am sure some of you would have come across. I Felt like sharing it.
Ashok Leyland LCV Spring setup. One side it’s fixed other side it’s free floating. Note:- No shackle.

Articulating on Articulation-spring-2.jpgArticulating on Articulation-spring-3.jpg
Articulating on Articulation-springs-1.jpg
Old 27th January 2014, 16:34   #141
Senior - BHPian

LOL. Sharing on FB

Good Engineers will hang themselves on seeing this. Heights of Juggad.

Only benefit is, no chance of Shackle reversal, why - duh, where is the shackle?!
Old 27th January 2014, 22:20   #142
Senior - BHPian

A skid plate, not even a roller!
On one side at least a leaf is bent so that it does not come out, on the other side no. I have a feeling that these juggadistas have experienced this!

Regards
Sutripta
Old 7th July 2015, 16:41   #143
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
Hi Mr. Vinod,

So do you mean to say that i am a lier.
Anyways, leave that alone, coz you can believe what ever you want to, and I'll explain whatever all i can to you.............. Offroaders abroad are mad enough to climb on rocks that are 5 feet high and straight as a wall, and a short wheelbase vehicle here would just topple over on its rear.
Take care,
Regards,
Bikram

Hello Bikram,
I can see from your posts that you believe in walking the talk & putting your money where your mouth is! So, with your permission, I would like to place my dilemma before you.
(I am no off-road addict, while I love touring by road - have been doing so for the past 20 years (first in an OMNI, then a Tata Sierra & currently a 2WD Scorpio). My off-roading is restricted to whatever diversions I need to take during our regular - once or twice yearly - trips to Naukuchiatal and its environs in Nainital district.)

Now the dilemma - I have recently bought a Maruti Eeco for our use in Mumbai, and it came shod with 155/65 R13 tyres

RSR, another member of TBHP, very kindly informed me that as per the Maruti Eeco web-page, my car should have been fitted with 155 R13 LT tyres. I checked the Eeco web-page and found that RSR was quite right & that 155 R13 LT is actually what was quoted on the page. I have done a bit of Googling since then and learned about this 3% rule regarding tyre dia. for upgrading without having to change the original rim.

A lot of email exchanges between me, Maruti-Suzuki, Spectra Motors (who I bought the car from) and me again is still continuing. But my main questions are still not answered :-
1) What is the actual tyre size which the Eeco should be fitted with?
2) What size wider tyres I can go in for without changing the original rims?

I have observed that the ride with the presently fitted tyres (155/65 R13) on the Eeco is quite harsh as compared even to the Scorpio's and so I felt that wider tyres may ease the ride a bit.

At present I am on board an off-shore vessel in the middle of the Bay of Bengal and will be going home only around the beginning of August. And thus I cannot pursue the matter till then.

So, can you help me Bikram and tell me if both the tyres quoted above are suitable or not and what (if any) wider tyres I can safely fit?

Regards,
Shashanka

Most Viewed