Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2009, 21:02   #31
Senior - BHPian

Once again i apologise to the mods, but kindly delete my above post as it is a duplicate. My comp is acting up and does not show the post sometimes, hence i make the mistake of reposting only to find out that there is a repeat. Kindly delete this one as well as #29 permalink. Thanks
Old 24th August 2009, 18:31   #32
Senior - BHPian

No worries, I will post a few pages from an off roading book I had written ( co-authored ) way back in 1998 but revised and updated since. I will reproduce the chapter on winching techniques for Bhpians.
Old 29th January 2010, 13:54   #33
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Jeep CJ (Civilian Jeep) -- a farm implement

Reposted at trammway's request.

Impressed by the Willys Jeep's performance in the second world war,
American soldiers returning to their pre-war farming occupation in the USA,
motivated Willys-Overland Motors to reposition its little workhorse 4x4 truck
into a low-cost, all-purpose farm vehicle.

The Power Take Off (PTO) was an accessory available on the original Willys Jeeps.

This is why Jeeps had
  1. the additional "Neutral" position on the little lever (High-Neutral-Low) on the Spicer-18 transfer case.
  2. all those unexplained funny holes on the chassis rear-most transverse member.
  3. the "T" Throttle setting knob on the dashboard -- to set engine rpm when the driver was busy with the PTO-driven farm implements.

There were four assemblies (I've shown them in four colors)

1. Shift Unit mounted on transfer case
2. Separate third propeller shaft and universal joints (front and rear propeller shafts to the differentials not shown)
3. Shaft drive assembly for driving farming equipment
4. Pulley drive assembly for driving farm equipment such as threshers

With the 75 bhp Hurricane petrol engine, the standard
6-splined, 1-3/8 inch shaft in the rear PTO unit delivered
35 bhp at the belt pulley.

Photographed from Willys Service manual by me (sorry my scanner's broken down)

Ram
Ram is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2010, 12:04   #34

I have fitted a PTO divin winch on my cj340 , it is just fantastic. On a 4x4 last october i rescued the whole group after the electric winches on other vehicles could not perform as their battery's ran down. It was a difficult rainey & slippery situation which required constant use of the winch. The PTO winch just kept going .
solpie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2010, 22:09   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by solpie View Post
I have fitted a PTO divin winch on my cj340 , it is just fantastic. On a 4x4 last october i rescued the whole group after the electric winches on other vehicles could not perform as their battery's ran down. It was a difficult rainey & slippery situation which required constant use of the winch. The PTO winch just kept going .
I'm damn curious about a PTO winch. can we have pictures please?
Old 21st October 2011, 15:22   #36
Senior - BHPian

Re: Jeep PTO units (Winches, generators etc)

I found this on net. Any ideas where to get such mini generators? Are they available in India? Would be a good PTO accessory for camping, etc...

What can be the max amps/hr for this size?

Jeep PTO units (Winches, generators etc)-mini-generator.jpg
Old 21st October 2011, 20:04   #37
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
I found this on net. Any ideas where to get such mini generators? Are they available in India? Would be a good PTO accessory for camping, etc...

Attachment 830216
@ Santosh, please check this ,
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...y-charger.html

Post # 6 there is a pic of a small Honda gen set I have ( as emergency backup for my out door catering services ) its a 3 amp & 230 V unit ( 650 va )

I know what you are up to

Sudarshan
Sudarshan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2011, 19:29   #38
BHPian

Hi Tramway,

I came across this website offering PTO-Type (WARN style) Overdrives, Shift Linkages and Adapters.

Hope it helps you someway.

Link:

http://www.hermtheoverdriveguy.com/id21.htm

Last edited by DeClutch 4X4 : 28th October 2011 at 19:35. Reason: font error
Old 28th October 2011, 19:55   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeClutch 4X4 View Post
Hi Tramway,

I came across this website offering PTO-Type (WARN style) Overdrives, Shift Linkages and Adapters.

Link:

Overdrives
thanks for the link. However I'm a customer of Herman Tillford over an year now. :-)

I purchased my Overdrive from Herm.

On the PTO front, Santhosh I think generator may not be that important to have it in our jeeps. Considering the availability of onboard inverters or DC to AC converters, I feel the air compressor make it wise chose thinking that we will be using it more than the one in discussion. You can use air compressor for inflating tires, water wash and even to operate power tools which may come handy in offroad conditions.

Actually speaking, I have got one such PTO from Guru and have got some of the smaller compressor etc. but I didn't really put them together to great what I was having in my mind. You may need to buy a cylinder, dual or single cylinder compressor(that should fit in a safe area under the body and still without creating issues for the drive shaft travel distance etc.)

All the best, there are plenty of articles on the internet to support your project and ofcourse the true masters of Jeeps in this forum
Old 31st October 2011, 15:11   #40
Senior - BHPian

Was very very close to buying this but price and fear of a impending overhaul put me away!! Was quoted 1500Rs for this scraped piece. I liked it for its real!! small size (bad pics, sorry) dont show how tiny this unit is. Smaller then a foot!! But also means wont generate enough pressure when needed! So still looking out for a good compressor. I learnt new ones are around 2K - so might as well get a new one.

Jeep PTO units (Winches, generators etc)-img0326a.jpg

Jeep PTO units (Winches, generators etc)-img0327a.jpg

Jeep PTO units (Winches, generators etc)-img0328a.jpg

Jeep PTO units (Winches, generators etc)-img0329a.jpg
Old 1st November 2011, 07:18   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Was very very close to buying this but price and fear of a impending overhaul put me away!! Was quoted 1500Rs for this scraped piece. I liked it for its real!! small size (bad pics, sorry) dont show how tiny this unit is. Smaller then a foot!! But also means wont generate enough pressure when needed! So still looking out for a good compressor. I learnt new ones are around 2K - so might as well get a new one.

Attachment 834847

Attachment 834848

Attachment 834849

Attachment 834850
If you get a new one of this brand for Rs.2000/-, you should get that one for your experiment. Don't settle for used one as the internals especially the piston and moving parts might have worn out already.
Old 5th November 2011, 19:00   #42
Senior - BHPian

Ended up picking the elder cousin of ^, a similar bosch with a slightly bigger bore and bigger pulley, was used in a shaktiman i think... lets see how that project turns out.
svsantosh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2011, 19:40   #43

Hi trammway,
I had posted some pics of my jeep previously under the title of " My 1962 Kaiser CJ5"
If you look a couple of pages back at the " Vehicles" section,you can see the rear PTO spline shaft there.
Currently I use it to operate an air-pump to inflate tires,but I used it for many other purposes,too.
Old 5th November 2011, 21:45   #44
BANNED

Quote:
Ended up picking the elder cousin of ^, a similar bosch with a slightly bigger bore and bigger pulley, was used in a shaktiman i think... lets see how that project turns out.
AFAIK , these air compressors dont run at high rpm , not more than some 1000 rpm ( usually 750 or so ) so pulley size needs to be checked .so Please check & set the RPM factor before you run the thing , check if the pulley has integrated fan for cooling

Also Engine driven compressors from trucks have their lubrication system through the engine lubrication circuit itself , you will need to check this factor also before running

Sudarshan
Old 5th November 2011, 23:47   #45

Quote:

Attachment 830216
The red thing looks to be a tiny petroll engine and the other one is an ordinary car alternator.You can get 12V out of the system and use it for light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeClutch 4X4 View Post
Hi Tramway,

Link:

Overdrives
Jeep PTO units can be installed behind the overdrive,too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
I'm damn curious about a PTO winch. can we have pictures please?
Here is one installed underbelly at the rear of my jeep.It is a Braden 10-ton lifting capacity winch with 50 meters steel cable on the drum.

Quote:

Attachment 834847

Attachment 834848

Attachment 834849

Attachment 834850
I don't know if similar products are available in India,but here in Turkey air compressors for tractors are abundant.You simply slip them over the rear PTO spline shafts and easilly inflate your tires.
I attach the pictures of them.Personally I have one in my jeep and I use it with the rear PTO of my jeep.
They don't require to be connected to the oiling system of the vehicle's engine;sort of dry type.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks