Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2012, 00:09   #316
BHPian

Re: Composite Fibre Leaf Springs: Can they be used for off-roading?

Hi VNambiar

I wanted to install this for my Thar DI. I needed your advise on two questions:

1> Does the rear lift up after this(Rear) installation? Is it awkward?
2> Which ASC did the installation for your Thar and anyone you would recommend for general support & service for Thar as I find that the SKS guys I have bought from are not very knowledgeable. Atleast from the intial chats I had with them.

Thanks for your help.
Rohit
Old 16th April 2012, 11:14   #317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohit Tripathi View Post
Hi VNambiar

I wanted to install this for my Thar DI. I needed your advise on two questions:

1> Does the rear lift up after this(Rear) installation? Is it awkward?
2> Which ASC did the installation for your Thar and anyone you would recommend for general support & service for Thar as I find that the SKS guys I have bought from are not very knowledgeable. Atleast from the intial chats I had with them.

Thanks for your help.
Rohit
1. Contrary -Earlier the stance was dipped front, after CFL felt rear has gone down. from drive seat feel vehicle back is placed better post installation.
2. Sireesh on hosur road, meet the service head and he'll explain.
Old 17th April 2012, 23:28   #318
BHPian

Thanks VNambiar

My Jeep is due for 1st service this week, lets see how SKS does it.

I think I will also go in for the CFL,will update this thread once I get it installed.
Old 28th August 2012, 21:32   #319
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Guys

I am not entirely happy with the CFLs so I have decided to go for Bilstein B6 offroad shocks. What is the correct part number? If I choose from this link Online Katalog

The older Samurai it is

24-012164 Rear and 24-012157 for Front

Or if I choose The Jimny which matches the latter SJ413 more closely it is

24-193382 front and 24-193399 Rear

but the Jimny must have been a heavier vehicle with full metal body so ...

Thanks

Edit: The CFLS are not all that bad - they are the best budget option. I recently had a chance to lug two 35kg stones in the rear and the ride was promising. I am planning to wrap two 40kg stones in rubber sheets and place them permanently a little behind the front seats. Sandbags create a security problem rather suspicion at every checkpoint. I just want to improve it further with B6.
--R

Last edited by Ragul : 28th August 2012 at 21:37.
Old 29th August 2012, 12:54   #320
BANNED

Are these CFLS available for a MM 550 NGCS model 2005. Because the ride in this vehicle is very hard due to the thicker leaf springs.PLease advise.
Old 8th October 2012, 23:04   #321
BANNED

I checked with the local dealer - the price of Koni HTs has doubled from 20+k to 40K!! Ridiculous!! Anybody confirm the price?

--R
Old 25th January 2013, 19:21   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Guys

Edit: The CFLS are not all that bad - they are the best budget option. I recently had a chance to lug two 35kg stones in the rear and the ride was promising. I am planning to wrap two 40kg stones in rubber sheets and place them permanently a little behind the front seats. Sandbags create a security problem rather suspicion at every checkpoint. I just want to improve it further with B6.
--R
Hi Ragul, was checking all the posts on this forum. Are you still running the gypsy on stock rims? I am surprised that you still require weight in the rear to tame the bouncyness (were not the CFL's supposed to be softer ?). How did your front CFL's fare in OTRs ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Interesting. Well, do you have any pictures of sketches of this setup? I would be willing to try this out and ready to experiment if we have the sketches. In absence of the pictures it becomes very difficult to explain to the fabricators here .

Am game.. -- especially for the front, as I have the rear sorted out already.
Dear khan_sultan, Did you try the mentioned setup ? or any other setup for the front. Any update on the fourth set of front CFL ? Did you manage to break them as well ?
I am running my Gypsy on stock leafs for some time now and have now started to think on the lines of improving the ride quality. i am not much of an off-roader but surely love to drive to places less teavelled .
would appreciate any guidance.
Thanks
MAP

Mod's Note: Please desist from making back to back posts. Use the multiquote option whenever you need to reply to more than 1 person.

Last edited by Zappo : 25th January 2013 at 19:48. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
Old 4th March 2013, 13:05   #323
BHPian

Hey guys, The price of CFLS has become sort of insane now, the last i checked the price was 29K with the rubber coating for offroading purpose.

Does anyone think its worth 30k for two leafs with just 1 year warranty?
Old 4th March 2013, 17:24   #324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster_BHP View Post
Hey guys, The price of CFLS has become sort of insane now, the last i checked the price was 29K with the rubber coating for offroading purpose.

Does anyone think its worth 30k for two leafs with just 1 year warranty?
You would rather invest the same money for a complete set of nice gas filled shock absorbers. That would be better IMHO. Peddars / Bilstien / Ironman are some brands.
Old 6th March 2013, 17:58   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnambiar View Post
25K for the complete set is the quote, bargain and be happy if you get 10-15% discount. in any case, worth it, have been using it daily use. shipped from a place near pune called ichalkaranji
Hi,

I am in bargain for CFL for my Thar as well. Considering the investment i am double minded. Could you please share your experience with me.

Thanking you.
Regards,
Ashish David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohit Tripathi View Post
Thanks VNambiar

My Jeep is due for 1st service this week, lets see how SKS does it.

I think I will also go in for the CFL,will update this thread once I get it installed.
Did you get the CFL installed? Please share your experience.

Note from the Team-BHP Support: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the same thread.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 6th March 2013 at 18:39.
Old 14th March 2013, 22:27   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidashish View Post
Hi,
I am in bargain for CFL for my Thar as well. Considering the investment i am double minded. Could you please share your experience with me.
.[/b]
It has been worth it, ride quality has been phenomenal. Have not done offroads, so city/highway drive experience has been great in terms of ride quality.

Negative is that height comes off in the back, if there are 3 or more passengers tends to swing up down, leading to bottom thuds on bad roads. Does not damage, but CFL flattens on heavy lift, can be heavy thuds. Sslowing down speed helps.
Old 14th March 2013, 23:18   #327
BANNED

Quote:
It has been worth it, ride quality has been phenomenal. Have not done offroads, so city/highway drive experience has been great in terms of ride quality.

Negative is that height comes off in the back, if there are 3 or more passengers tends to swing up down, leading to bottom thuds on bad roads. Does not damage, but CFL flattens on heavy lift, can be heavy thuds. Sslowing down speed helps.
Must be Mahindra specific. No such complaints on Gypsy. That said I have never carried a full load.

--R
Old 15th March 2013, 09:27   #328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Must be Mahindra specific. No such complaints on Gypsy. That said I have never carried a full load.

--R
Quote:

Factually the CFL are not made for OTR. Though Mr. Pawar says he can manufacture the same with some modifications to meet the need. I'm not convinced and its not worth the gamble.

vnambir: i would caution you to be very careful at speeds above 100kmph, as i tried CFL fitted in a friends Thar - the body roll increases drastically.

ALTERNATIVE: Try inverting the first leaf (Smallest One) and you'll get the same comfort and could save a lot of banknote.
davidashish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2013, 09:49   #329
Team-BHP Support

As somebody who had CFL on an offroading Jeep for 3.5 years, these are my views:

1) CFLs are meant for improving your vehicle's ride comfort, nothing else.
2) Your on-road handling will certainly suffer a great deal. Since I had it on CJ340, which can't go too fast, it wasn't a big deal. But I had to be careful while taking fast turns, I had to slow down thanks to the massive bodyroll. If you are having it on Thar, forget about taking fast turns.
3) Since the suspension becomes very soft, height will come down at higher loads. Not an issue if you rarely carry anybody in the rear.
4) There are no advantages or disadvantages offroad. Except, you will be very scared every time you encounter big rocks. You can damage the CFL on rocks, so you have to be very careful. I did numerous events with the CFL and never broke it, only because I kept the CFL in mind.

Would I consider CFL for my MM550? Only if I stay on-road, which is not the case.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2013, 11:48   #330
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidashish View Post

ALTERNATIVE: Try inverting the first leaf (Smallest One) and you'll get the same comfort and could save a lot of banknote.
What is the principle that explains this?

I am surprised to hear the CFL sags with the weight of an MM jeep.
The stance and ride height of my gypsy actually improved on the Gypsy with an all CFL setup. Me thinks a gypsy with original leafs is like a body builder with chicken legs in comparison(as far as looks go - maybe its weak for offroading). But then the Gypsy is not as heavy as an MM.

--R

Last edited by Ragul : 15th March 2013 at 11:49.

Most Viewed