Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2009, 19:49   #31
Senior - BHPian

Some of the guys on the forum have AC on their jeeps with XD3P engines and have never mentioned overheating.

Have the frends tinkered with the idle speed/fuel mixture ?

Yes I know about the water body problem. Probably down to poor quality control.

Last edited by bigman : 4th April 2009 at 19:52.
Old 4th April 2009, 20:08   #32
BHPian

Nope, none have. Even my Bolero's pumps was fiddled with at about 80,000 Kms, when it went for an Injection punp overhaul and i had requested not to decrease fuel since i tow a lot.
Old 4th April 2009, 23:25   #33
BHPian

I had bolero GLX with XD3P. And it had the same problem as BRUTUS's. Putting AC on standstill and slow move always use to overheat the engine. Same with some spirited driving. I changed the water pump twice. And both the mechanics (one from Mahindra workshop and one from my neighbourhood garage) confirmed that they have seen XD3P engine is prone to over heating and water pump problem. And they confirmed that DI engine is much more reliable. After I sold off my GLX my dad bought a turbo DI SLX. I haven't driven it much but my dad's driver confirmed that he never had seen the gauge going over middle mark even in crawling traffic or standstill with AC on.
Old 5th April 2009, 17:22   #34
Senior - BHPian

Does the XD3P engine refers to the peugeot?
When ii bought the jeep initially it had the same peugeot. Thanks to my driver it soon burnt its head which would cost quite a bit to repair so changed the engine to one which i do not like at all.

Actually i would want to stay away from the peugeot.

So i am now looking for a an engine other than the pegout, preferraly japanese and a 5 speed gearbox that can be mated to my existing transfer case under 40k.
Am I realistically expecting too much ?
I am open to the 2.5 Di turbo from a bolero. I do not know the engine codename. Is it a good engine? I hear this is not prone to overheating but is slightly noisy. Is it good for a 540? Can i get this engine for around 25k or even the newer mdi 3200 ?
If not I dont mid waiting for a few months when i can spend a bit more and then look for a good engine. Till then can someone suggest me how i can fix my current engine from drinking oil .

Thanks

EDIT:
Also which engine does the m2di scorpio use ?
How much would one of the first scorpio engines cost ? (The first gen without common rail)

Thanks again

Last edited by cooldude1988765 : 5th April 2009 at 17:24.
Old 5th April 2009, 17:43   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post

Also which engine does the m2di scorpio use ?
How much would one of the first scorpio engines cost ? (The first gen without common rail)

Thanks again
Yes the XD3P is a Peugeot designed unit.

First generation Scorpio will be at least 60K+ if you can find one. It is a very nice engine with lots of power. However I doubt you will be able to get 4x4 working with it easily.
Old 5th April 2009, 19:58   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Till then can someone suggest me how i can fix my current engine from drinking oil .

XD3P was manafactured by Peugeot like it's 540 counterpart.
The high oil consumption in your present engine is due to back compression, there is not much you can do here except changing the piston rings which will help you a good exent.

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 5th April 2009 at 20:01.
Old 5th April 2009, 20:22   #37
Senior - BHPian

I have a Bolero GLX and the damn thing used to heat up as soon as AC is switched on.
its not related to XD3P engine,its related to placement of the Ac compressor and radiator(some mech told me and he resolved this issue to almost 95% now,by adding a extra fan and some wooden board near the Radiator-Compressor).
My vehicle has now done 1.6L kms and water pump has been replaced twice.
Old 5th April 2009, 21:42   #38
BHPian

Quote:
When ii bought the jeep initially it had the same peugeot. Thanks to my driver it soon burnt its head which would cost quite a bit to repair so changed the engine to one which i do not like at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I have a Bolero GLX and the damn thing used to heat up as soon as AC is switched on.
its not related to XD3P engine,its related to placement of the Ac compressor and radiator(some mech told me and he resolved this issue to almost 95% now,by adding a extra fan and some wooden board near the Radiator-Compressor).
Cooldude, you might be refering to the Xdp4.9, which was also shared by the mahindra classic. There are/were 2 Peugeot-designed engines used by mahindra in India, the XD4.9 is a 2.1l motor and the Xd3p is a 2.5l motor used in later 540/550's and the earlier boleros and still in the 4x4 version, besides others. Not a bad engine though, infact the mahindra wallas deliver the 4x4 Bolero with this same engine because they say its more powerful than the Di turbo but the opposite is true, especially where the low-end torque, so important for off-roading, is concerned. Infact the earlier peugeots had more torque, something like 15.5kgm, but later when they had to counter emissions, rather than doing something substantial, they just detuned the motor to counter that, resulting in just about 13.25kgm torque. The primary reason according to me, for using a peugeot for 4x4 Boleros by mahindra, and it even goes for the army 550's(but that was also army choice, and i still don't know why they never chose the 5 speeder) is that the Di has a very low sump, endangering it with damage while off-roading( a Di jeep i was driving got hit by a stone that bounced off the tires, resulting from a small but steady leak from one edge of the sump, while i was about 5 kms inside a dense jungle, but thankfully, due to the 7 something liters of engine oil capacity, i could drive to a mechanic with about 2.25liters still left in it).
Although the MDI3200TC, the Di turbo motor used in the Bolero is said to be having a slightly higher sump, its still way lower than the others. The problem is that every commercial use motor, be it a truck's cummins or a tractor's DI, are designed to hold loads of engine oil to run cooler and require minimum service, and therefore have low sumps. The DI, unlike the cummins has the oil pump placed so low that it nothing can be done about it. It would require lots of redesigning to couter that by i think mahindra's not interested.

Akshay, the problem with the peugeot in not the placement of the radiator or the Ac compressor, but the engine fan and the cooling liquid routing. The waterpump cannot flow enough water at idle to keep things cool, but that too would only help if the hot water in the radiator comes in contact with cool air. The engine fan just cannot pull enough air at idling to cool the system and using a bigger fan would result in loss of power. What makes matters worse is that the A/C coil is placed right in front of the radiator, so while the A/c is on, the radiator area right behind the A/c coil can only come in contact with hot air expelled by the A/c coil, which would not cool things at all.
The only way to counter the problem is to flow more air though the radiator, and thats exactly what the extra fan your mechanic has instaled did. Since the radiator is already covered with a shroud, i wonder why the mechanic had to use wood though.
Could you get me some pictures of that area please??
Bikram
Old 5th April 2009, 23:03   #39
BHPian

Quote:
So i am now looking for a an engine other than the pegout, preferraly japanese and a 5 speed gearbox that can be mated to my existing transfer case under 40k.
I am open to the 2.5 Di turbo from a bolero.Can i get this engine for around 25k or even the newer mdi 3200 ?
Also getting an 5 speeder to hook up with the stock dana18 xfercase is very difficult, more so due to the output shafts of modern gearbox's is usually high spline and the input gear of the dana18 is very low spline(i think 10 or 15 spline, earlier ones were 6 spline, but i am not so sure sbout it) although it would still be easier to get the engine to hook uo with the existing gearbox, or you could fetch an Ba10 gearbox and a borg & warner xfercase used in boleros and scorpios, like our friend Jyobeb did, but that might be an expensive option.
Here are some second hand engine rates(with gearboxes and max. rates) that i got in mayapuri whne i went there, though they might have changed now
The old kit Di's(no good) go for about 25Grand
Good Di's(MDI3200) i think are around 50-65Grand
Turbo Di's(MDI3200Tc) goes for 60-65Grand
Scorpios Sz2600(older types) goes for 60-65Grand(go for the gear-driven ones, slightly noiser than the chain driven, but requires lessor service requirements in that area and a longer life of the valvetrain)
Isuzu motors not more than 30Grand for the biggest turbo, leaving aside the Tavera motor that goes for about 45-50Grand
Toyota 2c - 25Grand
Toyota 2c Turbo-28Grand
Toyota 3c Turbo-45Grand
Toyota 2l -50Grand (Qualis motor, so they charge motor)
Toyota 2l Turbo -45Grand
Cummins 5.9l- 25-30Grand(but that depends upon the typw of chothes you are wearing,lol.)
Old 6th April 2009, 09:41   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutus View Post
Cummins 5.9l- 25-30Grand
is this the same engine which comes with dodge megacab.
some one put an cummins 5.9 (from scraped megacab)
in jeep jk ,i think indian cummins will be diffrent then usa one.
here is the pic
New engine for a 540-0803dp_01_z2007_jeep_wrangler_rubicon_diesel_cumminspassegner_rear_angle.jpg

Name:  0803dp_17_z2007_jeep_wrangler_rubicon_diesel_cumminsfront_angle.jpg
Views: 6768
Size:  147.1 KB
Old 6th April 2009, 09:59   #41
BHPian

Its the same motor as the the first and second gen. Dodge Rams had been using, right to the same Holset turbo's, only difference being that the indian trucks use a larger inter-cooler.
Old 6th April 2009, 11:28   #42
Senior - BHPian

@brutus: thanks for the extensive info. I guess i will wait till i can spend more and get a mdi3200/scorpio/qualis engine.
@fazal: I will change the piston rings (are these the same as o rings?) and live with my current engine for a couple of months.

Also i need to get the body done up. There are a lot of rust holes on the floor and there are also a couple of broken body mounts. Should i get these done now or wait till i change the engine and get everything done at a go ?

One more thing is when i engage reverse i cannot engage any of the front gears till i reverse a little more. This a major annoyance in the city where i have reversed till i can reverse no more (there is some obstruction wall car tree etc.) Is there anything that can be done about this ?
Old 6th April 2009, 12:02   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear cooldude1988765 - you are getting lots of information from lots of people with their good intentions of course but all the data may confuse you. Therefore, please post the photographs of the vehicle on the 17th as you mentioned and then only proceed on the correct path. I will guide you in totality. PLEASE DO NOT PAY GOOD MONEY TO SPOIL YOUR VEHICLE. I have been telling this in various threads. There are people waiting out there willing to grab a lot of your money and give you rubbish in return. Please be careful. Many have burnt their fingers.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 6th April 2009, 13:23   #44
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the advice behram sir. I will post pics of the jeep on the 17th like i said before.
I actually learnt the hard way. I paid 30k for a completely waste engine after the original peugeot engine blew. That is why i am taking expert advice from tbhp this time.
Thanks a lot for the word of caution, really appreciate it.
Old 6th April 2009, 13:44   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the advice behram sir. I will post pics of the jeep on the 17th like i said before.
I actually learnt the hard way. I paid 30k for a completely waste engine after the original peugeot engine blew. That is why i am taking expert advice from tbhp this time.
Thanks a lot for the word of caution, really appreciate it.
The person you have replied to above is the source where you can get advice at it's best. Henceforth, it depends on your budget.

@fazal: I will change the piston rings (are these the same as o rings?) and live with my current engine for a couple of months.

Piston rings are not O rings, they are metal rings that come around pistons, O rings are rubber seals. Wornout rings can result in loss of compression and high oil consumption. Changing the rings is a short term solution, I suggested as you had mentioned about your intentions to continue with this engine with minimum expenditure at present.

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 6th April 2009 at 13:53.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks