Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2009, 17:55   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wads78 View Post
Karan- where are planning to do the conversion? Javid Bhai?
Yup thats the only mechanic I know

@prmd_cochin: How much did the whole engine+gearbox+transfer case cost you?
Also is your gearbox 5 speed ?

Also how much would a bolero engine with 5 speed gearbox cost ?

Last edited by cooldude1988765 : 3rd April 2009 at 18:02.
Old 3rd April 2009, 19:11   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
@prmd_cochin: I think my mechanic was talking about the nissan td25 itself. What gearbox are you using ?
Karan - From what I remember, Javed Bhai has a SD25, check with him again
Old 3rd April 2009, 20:15   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa_Kilo View Post
Try locating things like head gaskets, waterbodies etc for engines not sold in India. These jap engines may be much better, but no engine is any good if one cannot service it properly. One often has to make do from parts scavanged from scrapped engines.

Then there issues with mating the TCase, front prop shaft and diff clearance, engine mount fabriction, gear ratios etc. And what does one when the time comes to overhaul the engine?
You name stuff that cant be replaced and i would answer that.
Old 3rd April 2009, 20:20   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
He will turn your Jeep into a 2wd with his Nissan engine.
What did you mean?

Quote:
Yup thats the only mechanic I know

@prmd_cochin: How much did the whole engine+gearbox+transfer case cost you?
Also is your gearbox 5 speed ?

Also how much would a bolero engine with 5 speed gearbox cost ?
My Nissan engine with the gear box cost me 60k.
Old 3rd April 2009, 21:46   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shams View Post
Karan - From what I remember, Javed Bhai has a SD25, check with him again
Thanks for the heads up will check with him. What are your views on this engine ? How much would be a reasonable price ?

Since my jeep is going to be my daily drive, i will be using it more on the road than off. So would prefer an engine that is easy to drive on the road but not too bad OTR.
Old 3rd April 2009, 23:01   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up will check with him. What are your views on this engine ? How much would be a reasonable price ?

Since my jeep is going to be my daily drive, i will be using it more on the road than off. So would prefer an engine that is easy to drive on the road but not too bad OTR.
Karan, as I had told you earlier, this engine is from an older lot of Japanese engines, however I have seen it in action on and off road, and if you get a good deal on the price with a reasonably good engine then its a good proposition. NVH are reasonable and fuel efficiency is decent. Maintenance level spares though not freely available are still manageable to get in Hyd. If you are serious about getting this engine from Javed, I suggest you ask him to fix a radiator and fuel supply and run it for an hour at your cost for your benefit before committing to anything. You can make a list of frequently serviced and replaced items and check for availability and price at Afzalgunj

This is one of the cheaper if not the cheapest popular Japanese engines you can buy in Hyderabad, last I heard from someone a G1 would come for about 30-35k and isuzu gb for about 25k, so it would work out to around 55-60k, prmd_cochin had suggested you go for a combo like this, I would suggest the same if you could enhance your budget, this is a proven combo and our mechanics here have done and worked on it quite a bit already so you would have the benefit of their experience

Last edited by shams : 3rd April 2009 at 23:08.
Old 3rd April 2009, 23:18   #22
Senior - BHPian

Shams i highly doubt if i can increase my budget to 60k. Can you please suggest some other options below 40k ?
Or is there a way that my current engine can be made to stop chugging engine oil ? I have to put about 4litres of oil every time I fill the tank with diesel. That's almost 800 bucks a week :( .
I could probably get a really good engine when i can afford to spend 60k or more.

As for the nvh I can probably line the bonnet with some sound proofing material (like the ones found in some of the newer cars).
Actually on second thoughts that might overheat the engine. I guess i can live with it for a few more months till i change the engine.

Also do you have any idea how much a bolero engine would cost ?

Last edited by cooldude1988765 : 3rd April 2009 at 23:26.
Old 4th April 2009, 00:24   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Shams i highly doubt if i can increase my budget to 60k. Can you please suggest some other options below 40k ?
Or is there a way that my current engine can be made to stop chugging engine oil ? I have to put about 4litres of oil every time I fill the tank with diesel. That's almost 800 bucks a week :( .
I could probably get a really good engine when i can afford to spend 60k or more.

As for the nvh I can probably line the bonnet with some sound proofing material (like the ones found in some of the newer cars).
Actually on second thoughts that might overheat the engine. I guess i can live with it for a few more months till i change the engine.

Also do you have any idea how much a bolero engine would cost ?
I got my Nissan TD 25 for 60k that included the powersteering, moreover you save on fuel efficiency. I get 18 kmpl for mine, it goe as high as 20 hmpl for the Isuzu GI. Would suggest you go for the non turbo Isuzu GI.
Old 4th April 2009, 00:32   #24
BHPian

Out here, theres not much demand for the Peuget Xd3p. I've heard of good running motors going for not more than 25,000bucks, while the Di means loads of cash. A few years ago the story was the other way around. How time changes?
Old 4th April 2009, 00:45   #25
Senior - BHPian

We picked up a XD3P from Mayapuri for 12,000. The fuel pump needed 1,500 of work but rest was fine. Used the head to replace the dodgy original head on our MM550. Still got the rest of the engine minus the fuel pump.

Prices quoted in Mayapuri ranged from 10,000 to 14,000 when we got ours (last month). You just have to be a bit careful and take a mechanic with you to check the engine over.

What you mean by Bolero engine ? The XD3P is the Bolero engine. Doubt you will find the newer engine (crde or whatever it is) within your price range.

Last edited by bigman : 4th April 2009 at 00:47.
Old 4th April 2009, 07:36   #26
Senior - BHPian

What i mean by bolero engine is the 2.5di engine. Would prefer a post 2000 engine. Any matching gearbox for this ?
What is mdi3200 ? Will it be viable to use it in a 540 ?
I dont think i want the peugeot; with the overheating issues and all. It is a lot more refined than the di though.
Old 4th April 2009, 14:59   #27
BHPian

Karan- you would get a bolero engine anywhere between 15-18 K. if you exchange your old engine the price might reduce further. I say thats the best bet and the engine is pretty reliable with good torque. you can always reduce the noise using sound proofing sheets under the hood and inside the cabin.
Old 4th April 2009, 16:24   #28
BHPian

He's right about the peugeot overheating problem, i've heard several Bolero owners complaining, me included, about it. But that usually happens if there's some load on the engine at Idle, otherwise its just fine.

Another problem is the water-body. I don't know if its just mine, but i got the water-body changed 3 times in 5 years, all for bearing side leakage, and unlike the DI, where you can just change the bearing, here you have to change the entire assembly.

Although there is something very nice about this motor too. It doesn't relay much on the glow plugs except for the first-time-of-the-day-starts. So if your Bolero has a habit of going through batterys with the frequency of Novjot Sidhu coming-up with his stupid jokes, then be at ease, its very easy to push start this motor. Hardly a few meters of push is all it takes, lol.

Cooldude, the MDi3200 is the later model DI motor, which uses a rotary pump instead of the inline pump used before that, and just like the name says, its governed at 3200rpm, unlike 3000rpm of the earlier version.
Old 4th April 2009, 18:23   #29
Senior - BHPian

If it has an overheating issue then why does the army continue to use the XD3P ? I know it has an oil cooler in the army version but the engine can't be that prone to overheating.

Brutus can you provide more info on the overheating issue ? or is it an old wives tale like the story about the old Scorpio engine overheating whereas in reality someone at Mahindra confirmed there had just been 2 or 3 actual cases which were down to owner neglect (not topping up fluids etc).

Last edited by bigman : 4th April 2009 at 18:27.
Old 4th April 2009, 19:23   #30
BHPian

Nope, thats very easy, just put your Bolero into neutral and switch on the A/c and wait for about 10-15 minutes, and voila. Even within 5 minutes you see the heat guage moving up. There are 5 friends of my using the old engined Boleros, one of them has two 4x4 versions, and we all have this problem, even though i might have done that only a couple of times. At this happens at lower speed, mostly standing still. My Bolero spend half its 1lakh Kms towing a trailer, sometimes with a 1-ton load on it, but its never given me a problem of overheating while on the move.

Considering the bolero has a big enough radiator for the motor displacement, and theres another fan helping the A/C coil, and the fact that the water-body gave up 3 times, i can only think of poor cooling lines-routing. I, on the other hand take by vehicle very seriously, frequent topping up(which it doesnt ask much for), Battery fluid and brake fluid inspection, and timely serviving, so i never really expected this to happen.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks