Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2009, 23:16   #1
Senior - BHPian

New engine for a 540

I need to change the engine of my 540 by this month end. Which is the best engine and gearbox (5 speed) combo under 40-50k.
My mechanic is recommending a 2.5L nissan with a 5 speed gearbox for around 35k (after exchange of my old engine)
My main requirements from the engine in order of priority are as follows.
1. Low NVH. I use the jeep as a daily drive so this is very important. My current inter converted to Di is horrible in this aspect. My whole building can hear the jeep once i start it up.
2. Lots and lots of torque.
3. Reliablity
4. Minimum overheating issues

Also does my existing 4wd transfer case need to be changed ? I am not sure of the transfer case model number. (1994 540 which came with 4wd from the factory)

Thanks.
Old 2nd April 2009, 23:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My main requirements from the engine in order of priority are as follows.
1. Low NVH. I use the jeep as a daily drive so this is very important. My current inter converted to Di is horrible in this aspect. My whole building can hear the jeep once i start it up.
2. Lots and lots of torque.
3. Reliablity
4. Minimum overheating issues
XD3P (Bolero engine).
Old 2nd April 2009, 23:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

He will turn your Jeep into a 2wd with his Nissan engine.
Old 2nd April 2009, 23:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

if a scorpio engine can be sourced from a total loss scorpio, that would be a good engine for your vehicle!
Old 2nd April 2009, 23:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

Karan, forget the NVH.
It keeps the Hyd Bikers and other morons away from you!

Why don't you contact Prabhu? He might give you a good deal!
PM me or suren if you want his number!
Old 3rd April 2009, 08:25   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Cooldude1988765 (aka Karan) - Please post photographs of your MM540 including engine compartment and under chassis. I will immediately guide you in totality. Please do not fall for old engines in exchange etc. It is NOT a value for money route and you will ruin your vehicle. Please believe me, I happen to know.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 3rd April 2009, 10:28   #7
Senior - BHPian

Behram sir, unfortunately i do not have access to my jeep till the 17th and i have no pics of the engine bay or under chasis.
Parm i highly doubt if i can get a scorpio engine and gearbox for under 40-50k.
Bigman: my mechanic promised me that he would keep the 4wd with an adapter plate (dont know how reliable this is though)
pulsar56 thanks for the heads up, will surely call him up once I am done with the research.
nitrous: Isnt the xd3p also very noisy ?
Old 3rd April 2009, 10:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

cooldude,

Ask him to show you any other similar 4x4 conversions he has done. You will end up with a lot of teething problems.
Old 3rd April 2009, 12:21   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
cooldude,

Ask him to show you any other similar 4x4 conversions he has done. You will end up with a lot of teething problems.
And those problems will go away only with your teeth falling out. Please dont go in for any non std engine like the Isuzu. You will struggle to find basic spares like fanbelts, glowplugs, hoses etc, and the vehicle reliability will go for a toss.
Old 3rd April 2009, 12:46   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa_Kilo View Post
And those problems will go away only with your teeth falling out. Please dont go in for any non std engine like the Isuzu. You will struggle to find basic spares like fanbelts, glowplugs, hoses etc, and the vehicle reliability will go for a toss.
There wont be any problem with Isuzu engine.

With regards to spare parts too you wont have any issues with spare parts, probably you dont realise that Japansee manufacuers have almost the same specifications with regards to engine parts.

And Isuzu is widely used in India on the Ambis, walk into any HM dealer.

And also if you go for Isuzu G1 even better, its there in the Tavera albiught with no turbo.

So i dont know how on earth you said dont go for Isuzu.

I myself have a Nissan TD25 and have chnaged lot of parts with spare parts available in India. The kind of refinement and power delivery you get with a Nisssan and Isuzu is simply mind blowing.

Dude trust me go for the IsuzuG1 or Nissan TD25.
Old 3rd April 2009, 13:24   #11
Senior - BHPian

@prmd_cochin: I think my mechanic was talking about the nissan td25 itself. What gearbox are you using ?
Old 3rd April 2009, 13:37   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa_Kilo View Post
...Please dont go in for any non std engine like the Isuzu. You will struggle to find basic spares like fanbelts, glowplugs, hoses etc, and the vehicle reliability will go for a toss.
It appears bit perplexing. Always heard good things about Isuzu and didn't know it is a 'non-standard' engine!
Old 3rd April 2009, 14:48   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
@prmd_cochin: I think my mechanic was talking about the nissan td25 itself. What gearbox are you using ?
Im using the Nissan gearbox itself, i got it along with the engine, its got an 4X4 option too.

Here i have posted my work on the 540 with a Nissan engine.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...reborn-11.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
It appears bit perplexing. Always heard good things about Isuzu and didn't know it is a 'non-standard' engine!
I swear how that guy came out blowing about Isuzu, whoever knows about it wont say what he said.
Old 3rd April 2009, 17:07   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
Karan- where are planning to do the conversion? Javid Bhai?
Old 3rd April 2009, 17:24   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prmd_cochin View Post
There wont be any problem with Isuzu engine.

With regards to spare parts too you wont have any issues with spare parts, probably you dont realise that Japansee manufacuers have almost the same specifications with regards to engine parts.

And Isuzu is widely used in India on the Ambis, walk into any HM dealer.

And also if you go for Isuzu G1 even better, its there in the Tavera albiught with no turbo.

So i dont know how on earth you said dont go for Isuzu.

I myself have a Nissan TD25 and have chnaged lot of parts with spare parts available in India. The kind of refinement and power delivery you get with a Nisssan and Isuzu is simply mind blowing.

Dude trust me go for the IsuzuG1 or Nissan TD25.
Try locating things like head gaskets, waterbodies etc for engines not sold in India. These jap engines may be much better, but no engine is any good if one cannot service it properly. One often has to make do from parts scavanged from scrapped engines.

Then there issues with mating the TCase, front prop shaft and diff clearance, engine mount fabriction, gear ratios etc. And what does one when the time comes to overhaul the engine?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks