Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2009, 16:00   #1
BHPian

Clutch of my MM540 is too hard...

I am having problem with the clutch of my MM540 (engine XD3P) as it is too hard to press. My Jeep has hanging padels and I have already changed the clutch cable three times. When the clutch cable is changed, I feel like it is now a very little bit softer but again I start having the same feeling just after 3-4 days.

My machanic says that it is due to electic welding. He says while doing the electic welding anywhere on the Jeep, if the earthing wire attached to the Jeep is not touched correctly, it will make the clutch cable kaput. I am not convinced from this concept.

Can you pls advice what to be done to make my clutch softer as else driving in heavy city trafic is really painful (I really mean it, it is so hard that my left leg start paining).

I drove one old Jeep with DI engine and with the floor padels and I found the clutch was quite comfirtable. I also tried a Bolero whom clutch was simply amazing.

Pls advice if should go for a hydrolic clutch / power clutch as in Bolero (my machanic is against it) or should I get the pressure plate of the clutch changed. Pls explain me in detail along with estimated cost of it.

Thanks.
Old 23rd April 2009, 16:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

The issue mentioned by your mechanic is true with an marutis, if the battery earthing does not make contact with the body, as that is the only connection that remains between the electrical earth. You should get that checked.
A hydraulic clutch will make your life easy in traffic with no such issues attached with it. it a simple fit, why is he against it? only draw back is loose the feel of what the clutch is actually doing.
The floor clutch paddles were connected directly to the clutch not like the cable operated once.

P.S. was the cable oiled by any chance? tha cables are friction free and are not suppose to be oiled but the mechanics usually add oil or grease which makes they hard as the internal plastic cladding disintegrates.

Last edited by dinar : 23rd April 2009 at 16:44.
Old 23rd April 2009, 17:11   #3
BHPian

Besides other facts, even the padel leverage makes a difference. The more futher away you attack the wire linkages from the pivot of the padel, the easier it is to press, but the more travel it would take to engage the clutch.
Hydrallic clutches are good, but once i lost the clutch on my Bolero in Delhi due to a leakage, and i or that thief of a mechanic could'nt locate any of the servo parts in Delhi, so finally got a Jaugardh done and he wanted 500bucks just for a bolt he put there. If it had a cable, i would'nt have had any problems locating it.
Old 23rd April 2009, 17:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

naren,
As the subject line says, if it is too hard, i could be worn out clutch plate, pressure plate. Change those and see. I think it shoudl not cost you more than 4-5K a Mahindra Genuine part. Will make world of difference in driving.
Old 23rd April 2009, 17:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

I agree with Vinod. I think you should check the pressure plate!
Old 23rd April 2009, 17:47   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
naren,
As the subject line says, if it is too hard, i could be worn out clutch plate, pressure plate. Change those and see. I think it shoudl not cost you more than 4-5K a Mahindra Genuine part. Will make world of difference in driving.
DO I need to change the clutch plate as well (along iwth the pressure plate). My Jeep is heardly driven for 9k after the restoration. Need firm advice pls and I will stick to it.
Old 23rd April 2009, 18:35   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Umm, all Mahindras have a hard clutch. What's the problem? Why don't you drive another MM550 to get a better perspective on the matter?
Old 23rd April 2009, 18:48   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Umm, all Mahindras have a hard clutch. What's the problem? Why don't you drive another MM550 to get a better perspective on the matter?
GTO, I was thinking the same but so sad that after trying for more than 6 months, I did not find any other MM540/550 to drive .

I than took a short drive of a few Jeeps which were there at my machanics garage, all were having floor padels and their clutch was a way too softer.

I have also driven a few other Jeeps in past, but clutch of my Jeep is really too much hard (specially at the end, when pressing).
Old 23rd April 2009, 21:42   #9
Senior - BHPian

If the clutch plate was worn out you would have other symptoms as well to include, "chuddering/shuddering" upon clutch engagement especially on hills and ultimately slippage.

I think it's a linkage problem. Your mechanic is full of foul brown smelly stuff. Find another.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 23rd April 2009 at 21:44.
Old 23rd April 2009, 23:07   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKing View Post
DO I need to change the clutch plate as well (along iwth the pressure plate). My Jeep is heardly driven for 9k after the restoration. Need firm advice pls and I will stick to it.
Naren,
You can bench mark Boleros clutch, since yours is hydraulic. Infact even cable clutch on XDP engines are smooth enough. When you say very hard, i understand that it is very hard. No matter how much you have driven it, just check it. Replace it with only genuine M&M spare part only. You will see the difference.

Since it has become very hard, first check if clutch plate pressure plate and release bearing are ok or not. If required change all the three at a time. If they are OK then you can investigate on other parameters.
Old 24th April 2009, 00:01   #11
BHPian

Hi naren, what type of pressure plate is on your jeep? The old type (three finger pressure plate) if one of the springs loose tension or have broken you might face the same problem. If you have to replace the assyembly try getting the OE mahindra clutch overhaul kit,it cost about Rs 5500/- but you get 1)diafram pressure plate, 2)clutch plate, 3)realease bearing, 4) clutch fork with the small nob, 5) realease bearing slider and the springs . the diafram clutch makes a lot of difference. As for your mechanic's advice the cable could be jammed due to weilding but you have changed your cable three times already so check your clutch.
Old 24th April 2009, 00:12   #12
BHPian

I don't know what type of springs the older 540's use, but the Bolero uses the diaphragm spring, which, leaving aside the hydrallic operation, in itself makes the entire process a lot more easier and effortless. If its got the older finger-spring type pressure plate, just converting to a diaphragm plate would make loads of difference
Old 24th April 2009, 14:54   #13
Senior - BHPian

Naren,
It is not the clutch plate, wornout clutch plate will give you problems in engaging the gears smoothly, which is not what you have mentioned. Change your pressure plate whichever model it is and you will see a dramatic change, like I did with a similar problem. About the earthing and welding I cannot comment on that.
Old 24th April 2009, 16:33   #14
Senior - BHPian

Somehow after a clutch replacement, my 750DP has the softest clutch of all my cars.
Old 13th May 2009, 09:05   #15
BHPian

I have changed every single part of the cluth.. i.e. presure plate, cluth plate, outer bearing and the other small items. It become quite soft but just after a few days some problems started .

1. While the motor is off and I press the clutch, it is quite smooth and soft but as soon as I start it, it becomes a bit harder and smoothness goes off. Is it normal??

2. While the clutch is not pressed a sound is coming inside the cluth (other machnic says it is from outer bearing). The sound is not too loud but it is very irritating. It goes off when I press the clutch padal.

ADVICE WHAT NEED TO BE DONE as I am being quite hopeless with these local machanics.

Also I thinking to use M&M authorised workshop, does anybody have any experience geting your Jeep repaired by them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks