Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2010, 12:33   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Ok listen to Khan he is the one who did the snooping around at that section

Try FRK racing on whitefield road, they might be able to help you with some rally contacts. Might even do it for you.
Thank you Jaggu Sir, i will check with them sometime during the weekend. I will also need your help and meet you sometime, as i'm getting my VDI delivered this month .
Old 11th February 2010, 14:07   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I see one element missing in it. See my roll cage.
And the one from the brochure...
Yes Sharat. Both of them are very different. Yours has a 2nd horizontal bar too. Till date I havent seen the brochure spec OEM CJ340 Roll cage.
Do you know of some dealer who can provide a original one? (Not the brochure type, but your or Suresh's type)
Old 11th February 2010, 14:22   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whicked wheels View Post
Hi Tejas Ill be building one for the classic very soon but the non removal one.
I'll wait till your's is done.

Quote:
Another option is make a half front rollcage and bolt it to the center of the original one.
That's what i am thinking.

Quote:
the most important thing is that the base should be connected to the chassis.
A lot of articles are conflicting in this regard. Most of the data online is roll cages for rally cars and those are better connected to the chassis for stiffness and handling. The one's i've seen for 4x4s are mostly connected to the body via a gen right semi right connector (see attached pic)

Quote:
All pics from the net dont help just search for projects build- up photos
I have quite a few build WIP pics. Let me know if you want me to post them.

Quote:
Ill be using a 2'' diameter and 2.5 mm thick seamless hydraulic pipe for the roll cage.
Once, the pipes are all cut, can you weigh them please?
Attached Thumbnails
Exterior roll cage for a 4x4-chassis-connect.jpg  

Old 11th February 2010, 14:40   #34
BHPian

Yes Tejas thats just the type of mounting i was thinking for the chassis.No need of pics i got loads of them its just makes you go mad and confused as to what you want. The other thing is that there is no need for those massive rollcages here as we dont do that kind of offroading plus we don't have those kind of engines to carry all that extra load. Just take in the points of how to strength the cage and their bracing for the joints.
Thanks Kunal ill do call you when i start.
Old 11th February 2010, 15:01   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
I'll wait till your's is done.

That's what i am thinking.

A lot of articles are conflicting in this regard. Most of the data online is roll cages for rally cars and those are better connected to the chassis for stiffness and handling. The one's i've seen for 4x4s are mostly connected to the body via a gen right semi right connector (see attached pic)

I have quite a few build WIP pics. Let me know if you want me to post them.

Once, the pipes are all cut, can you weigh them please?
Tejas, please post up the pictures of the WIP build's you're talking about. Am following this thread quite keenly, as I plan to get one done in Bangalore too.
Old 11th February 2010, 15:08   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Red Liner, here's the link to the pic i posted earlier:

Gen Right Jeep Roll Cage Rear View Cage Photo

And here's the write up about it:

Gen Right Jeep Roll Cage - 4-Wheel & Off-Road Magazine

Will post more pics / links later.

James,

True, rather than a cage, a set of roll bars should suffice for our applications.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 11th February 2010 at 15:10. Reason: typo
Old 12th February 2010, 02:41   #37
BHPian

roll cage photos

Here are some pics to help you.The first two pics are a extreme cage.
Attached Thumbnails
Exterior roll cage for a 4x4-4217146814_10728780a4_o.jpg  

Exterior roll cage for a 4x4-4216378185_da7b6022dd_o.jpg  

Exterior roll cage for a 4x4-rollbar2.jpg  

Exterior roll cage for a 4x4-rollbar3.jpg  

Last edited by whicked wheels : 12th February 2010 at 02:56.
Old 12th February 2010, 11:15   #38
BANNED

The kind of roll cages you guys are coming up with is for extreme conditions. I understand safety is paramount but if you need such setups then the weak link in your setup may not be the roll cage but the person behind the wheel.

I think the point it to avoid situations where you would end up cartwheeling your Jeep. The roll cage might hold up but the rest of the jeep might not.

I toppled by Classic on its side once. Not because of the vehicle's limitations but my own. The roll cage and seatbelts did their job well. But it was scary and I did think of a full rollcage then.
Old 24th February 2010, 11:58   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Any updates from anyone here? Raghu, dug up any pipe benders?
Old 24th February 2010, 12:02   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Any updates from anyone here?
I've finalized my design. Waiting for james to finish his project so i can borrow a few tips from him as well.

This is the concept i plan. Plain and simple:
Attached Thumbnails
Exterior roll cage for a 4x4-rollcage01.jpg  

Old 24th February 2010, 14:06   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think a roll cage (atleast 6 point) is very essential. My classic has just a single roll bar and i think it is not adequate.

Ideal would be to weld a roll cage and be done with it but i kinda like the looks of the car and want to fabricate an external roll cage which can be a simple bolt on and can be removed and dismantled when not OTRing.

I need to know the following:

- What is the min and ideal diameter pipes to be used?

- What is the gauge of the pipe (min and ideal)?

- At what points of the body can the cage be bolted on?

- Should those parts of the body be strengthened and how?

- I don't have a garage to store this, so i need to make the cage out of bars which will bolt on to right angle elbow bends. Is it ok to do so strengthwise?

- How do i connect it with the existing roll bar in the center?

- Any suggestions on design for the classic? I have gone through enough pics on the web, so please don't cross post in general.
Hmmmm you are knocking the same doors as I do. I've almost completed designing a half rollbar that will be installed before the existing Mahindra Classic one. (installation will be the same was as how the rear part of the existing rollbar mates with the B pillar).So it will provide the front side protection too. Allow me till weekend to post proper design picture.

Quote:
I've finalized my design. Waiting for james to finish his project so i can borrow a few tips from him as well.

This is the concept i plan. Plain and simple:

This is good only if you have the older model SWB jeeps, but with classic you also need to take the dash board into consideration. The model posted here will spoil the dash board. The design I'm working on is to bypass while running the pipe from top to bottom and slight turn towards inner side to land on the platform.

Still having problem with the suspended accelerator pedal, as I don't think we will need a roll cage only to protect you pressing the accelerator pedal are you ?

Last edited by trammway : 24th February 2010 at 14:15.
Old 4th April 2010, 01:17   #42
BHPian

Hey i spoke with the fabricator today and he quoted 18000 which includes the seamless pipes , bending etc etc to get a 4 point roll cage done , man the price made me roll over
Old 4th April 2010, 11:48   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids4x4mm550 View Post
Hey i spoke with the fabricator today and he quoted 18000 which includes the seamless pipes , bending etc etc to get a 4 point roll cage done , man the price made me roll over
Davids,
The price quoted is huge. Anyways I find the design of The Dog interesting as it can double up as a frame for the soft top. Simplistic in design.
Just make sure the gauge of the pipe is thick and quality steel.
Exterior roll cage for a 4x4-dogprotolf.jpg

Exterior roll cage for a 4x4-09_iconcj3bqs.jpg

Exterior roll cage for a 4x4-98_icon_jp181209_a2.jpg
Old 4th April 2010, 12:21   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids4x4mm550 View Post
That's very very expensive!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Davids,
The price quoted is huge. Anyways I find the design of The Dog interesting as it can double up as a frame for the soft top. Simplistic in design.
Just make sure the gauge of the pipe is thick and quality steel.
I've seen these pics and loved the way grab handles are incorporated into the roll cage! My problem is that i want to retain the existing Classic roll bar. I just need an extension in the front. What i can't find is a cold pipe bender and i can't make up my mind whether i should bolt on the front part of the new roll bar assembly to the existing one or should i weld it.

Currently in the classic, the two small side bars near the rear seat are bolted through and through on the main roll bar. I don't know how this affects the structural integrity of the the primary roll bar though!
Old 4th April 2010, 17:00   #45
BHPian

Quote:
That's very very expensive!!!

I've seen these pics and loved the way grab handles are incorporated into the roll cage! My problem is that i want to retain the existing Classic roll bar. I just need an extension in the front. What i can't find is a cold pipe bender and i can't make up my mind whether i should bolt on the front part of the new roll bar assembly to the existing one or should i weld it.

Currently in the classic, the two small side bars near the rear seat are bolted through and through on the main roll bar. I don't know how this affects the structural integrity of the the primary roll bar though!
Yea tejas it is, Prashant knows a guy who fabricates gym equipment who might be able to help us in getting the cold pipe bending done, if your are interested we can can check his work out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks