Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2010, 14:47   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids4x4mm550 View Post
Hey i spoke with the fabricator today and he quoted 18000 which includes the seamless pipes , bending etc etc to get a 4 point roll cage done , man the price made me roll over
Yes, this is a price which can roll over somebody . It seems he quoted the price for TWO sets of roll cage .

Last edited by DesertKing : 13th April 2010 at 14:56.
Old 21st June 2010, 22:39   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Work is nearing completion on my roll cage similar to The Dog.

More details after the upcoming weekend's OTR is done.
Attached Thumbnails
Exterior roll cage for a 4x4-wip01.jpg  

Old 22nd June 2010, 09:48   #48
Senior - BHPian

Tejas, what is the thickness of the pipings? Looks bit thicker to me. Also less discontinuties (& hence lesser weldings in between) in the pipes would 've been better.
Old 22nd June 2010, 11:21   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
Tejas, what is the thickness of the pipings? Looks bit thicker to me. Also less discontinuties (& hence lesser weldings in between) in the pipes would 've been better.
The thickness of the slightly pipes is lesser than specified by the rules for Raid de Himalayas. Their thickness would have increased the weight tremendously.

Those welded areas have been changed to single pieces. This was trial and error.
Old 3rd June 2011, 23:30   #50
BHPian

Roll Cage for Off-Roading vehicles.

I have gone through almost all the threads on Team-BHP regarding info about Roll Bars and Roll Cage in 4x4 vehicles.

Other than some useful information in this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...-cage-4x4.html, I could not come across a single thread that answers all my questions.

I would really appreciate if experienced BHPians can contribute some ideas from their vast expanse of knowledge regarding this very pertinent issue, since more and more people are being bitten by the off-roading bug and are in all probability being initiated into this wonderful sport without much regard to safety or knowledge about the dynamics of the vehicle when driven OTR.

Some questions I need answered are -

1) Pros & Cons of a Roll Cage.
2) Types of Roll Cages - Internal & External
3) Materials used
4) Roll Cage designs
5) Roll Cages for different vehicles (Different Off-Road vehicles)
6) Approximate costs involved
7) Important tools used to fabricate a Roll Cage
8) Workshops in various cities providing the service

I am sure I have missed several points. Inputs from fellow members would be invaluable. I request one and all to please give their inputs so that novices like me can benefit.

Looking forward to some quality information flowing into this thread.

@Mods, if you feel there is a thread exclusively regarding the Roll Cage on Team-BHP, you are welcome to delete this thread. (I might have missed one)

Last edited by Janjua : 3rd June 2011 at 23:31.
Old 6th June 2011, 18:40   #51
BHPian

Re: Exterior roll cage for a 4x4

Quote:
Hey i spoke with the fabricator today and he quoted 18000 which includes the seamless pipes , bending etc etc to get a 4 point roll cage done , man the price made me roll over

I was quoted Rs 15000 for a 6 point roll cage for my Thar yesterday.

Price is inclusive of all material (seamless 2" pipes), cold bending, mig welding, painting, fitting et al.

The fabricator is a good one in Chandigarh and has vast experience in Jeeps and rally cars.

What do you think about the price?

Regards.
Old 6th June 2011, 19:39   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janjua View Post

Price is inclusive of all material (seamless 2" pipes), cold bending, mig welding, painting, fitting et al.

The fabricator is a good one in Chandigarh and has vast experience in Jeeps and rally cars.

Regards.
Thats a vey good price , chk this for more details http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ossible-6.html.

Last edited by davids4x4mm550 : 6th June 2011 at 19:44.
davids4x4mm550 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2011, 00:09   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janjua View Post

Regards.
Janjua, I prepared the roll over cage at my own and it costed me aprox INR 7000 a couple of year back. The pipe used were 2.5 inch, cold bend, Tata make pipes, four point. It was bolted on body with two 6 inch x 6 inch plates at each point, one below the body and one welded to the roll cage (body was sandwitched).
Attached Images

Old 24th June 2011, 01:22   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thats a vey good price , chk this for more details http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ossible-6.html.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKing View Post
Janjua, I prepared the roll over cage at my own and it costed me aprox INR 7000 a couple of year back. The pipe used were 2.5 inch, cold bend, Tata make pipes, four point. It was bolted on body with two 6 inch x 6 inch plates at each point, one below the body and one welded to the roll cage (body was sandwitched).
Guys ive been wanting to install a roll cage in my MM and a front roll cage for my CJ3b (whichi will retain the rear roll cage of the OE classic's which i have on my CJ)
I have a few simple ideas of a basic and simple 6 point roll cage which will also double as the frame for a soft top. My requirements and queries are as follows;

1) The Roll cage should be cost effective:
I know theres no value for safety but is safety that expensive. Ive been to many places and prices are astronomical. Im looking for someone who has got the roll cage installed on a MM550 (so that there is already a reference vehicle and it lessens the trial and error phase) so that we can then imp[rove on that already installed one with the inputs of the one who drives the Jeep.
Can People please put up the approximate costs of the WIP please?

2) Is it safer to install an exterior or interior roll cage?
I loved the way Allan has installed a front exterior roll cage for his MM550 which he used for the TPC (i think) I want to know whether its safer to do so and will the exterior RC be strong enough when braced to the body alone. Does it go through and get braced into the flooring or chassis? Isnt the body prone top crumple on impact, thus leading to impending danger? In my mind if the front roll cage can be done externally and the rear internally, it saves a lot of cutting the dash, bending to keep the head and inmates out of danger etc. Please correct me if im wrong.

3) What is the ideal time taken for such a job?
I know its not a one day job but how much time should the roll cage be fabricated in?

4) Can some one post pics of their WIP?
This should help if someone can post his RC job's WIP pics as will let us all know where to take care and what not to do. Would really also help if an approximate weight of the entire RC with base is also mentioned as we know how much more the vehicle will have to bear.

Thanks in anticipation.

Last edited by Samurai : 25th June 2011 at 09:31. Reason: sms lingo
Old 24th June 2011, 20:23   #55
BHPian

[quote=V-16;2403763]

1) The Roll cage should be cost effective:
Im looking for someone who has got the roll cage installed on a MM550 (so that there is already a reference vehicle and it lessens the trial and error phase)

You can take my jeep

2) Is it safer to install an exterior or interior roll cage?
it saves a lot of cutting the dash, bending to keep the head and inmates out of danger etc. Please correct me if im wrong.

Not sure whats safer but my jeep is going in for a front internal roll cage without cutting the (dash/ inmates need to use seat belts) and also keeping in mind the doors. This is my daily drive

3) What is the ideal time taken for such a job?

For 2 Jeeps it took around 4 days

4) Can some one post pics of their WIP?
This should help if someone can post his RC job's WIP pics as will let us all know where to take care and what not to do. Would really also help if an approximate weight of the entire RC with base is also mentioned as we know how much more the vehicle will have to bear.

Sanjay has posted pics on his thread , we will weigh the roll bar once its out for paint , will let you know ..............
davids4x4mm550 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2011, 02:35   #56
Senior - BHPian

Great David.

Quote:
You can take my jeep
Wow, ill have a look atit and if you think its ok, would love to use the same fabricator. Well, after two Jeeps, hes experienced enough for me!!

Quote:
Not sure whats safer but my jeep is going in for a front internal roll cage without cutting the (dash/ inmates need to use seat belts) and also keeping in mind the doors. This is my daily drive
If the internal RC is ok for a daily drive, ill do the same too. An no design student or engineer. I intend to make the mm my daily drive too.

Quote:
For 2 Jeeps it took around 4 days
Brilliant.

Quote:
Sanjay has posted pics on his thread , we will weigh the roll bar once its out for paint , will let you know ..............
Ill check them out asap.

Last edited by V-16 : 25th June 2011 at 02:37.
Old 30th June 2011, 13:19   #57
Senior - BHPian

I have been talking to a lot of experts and gurus, on and off the forum. Since we do not do that hardcore offroading (even our vehicles have to be specially enforced for that)and the fact that a six point RC actually hampers the seating of the driver and his passenger, i have reached the conclusion that a four point roll cage should suffice for a MM550, if one is not tampering and removing the OE B pillar. I spoke to a number of fabricators and all, yes all of them have told me that if the rear cage is good enough and built to standards and the OE B pillar is maintained with an inverted U section pipe within it, one need not add the front part on the A pillar. That is essentially for strengthening of the windscreen area. Firstly that part hampers the driving dynamics, the accelerator pedal being too close to the mount, then the problem of removal or fitting of the dash board if you are running the OE dash. Oe can get a clean clear fit if one disperses of with the door as was done in (Ex) Tejas's Classic or Ravi's MM550. Brilliant work, no problems but now, both these Jeeps cant have doors.

So im seriously thinking of only having a four point RC, much like Desert
King's above, starting with tow inverted "U" bends, one each on the rear of the Jeep and within the OE B pillar, maintaining the B pillar and joining them with perpendicular bars, running through the OE roof structure of the MM. That should further strengthen the structure. In any case if i feel that the passenger RC should also be needed, a desperate 2 point structure can be added to the proposed 4 point.

All through it will be padded and then covered with Rexine and the base will be welded on the top and screwed to the tub via a 6X6'' plate, to a similar separate plate, below the tub on all four (or six) points.

The seamless pipe diameter of 2.5" should suffice, which would then be cold bent to make a rock solid 4 point RC. If i do undertake this, i will document the construction and the fixing process on my thread.

I am, till i finalize and seal this in a day or two, still open for suggestions and comments.
Old 30th June 2011, 17:50   #58
BHPian

Exterior roll cage for a 4x4

Hey guys , check what i got in Facebook , external roll cage for Thar . I do not know whether this kind of roll cage will do its work or not , can the gurus shed some opinions over this.

Exterior roll cage for a 4x4-269629_10150219074883837_200376543836_7249694_2624281_n.jpg
Old 30th June 2011, 20:37   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karizma9292 View Post
Hey guys , check what i got in Facebook , external roll cage for Thar . I do not know whether this kind of roll cage will do its work or not , can the gurus shed some opinions over this.
Check this thread Sugan http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...ur-2011-a.html
It is being discussed there already
Cheers,
Deepak
starter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 20:24   #60
BHPian

Dear All,

Ever since last post on this topic, we are almost a year past. All you Gurus, who had their jeeps in various WIPs at that time, now am sure are completed. Would you please post up? For the benefit of rest of forum members?

Andy
Grace is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks