Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2009, 13:33   #76
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
I wish that M&M continued to make the original instead of trying to 'improve' it with the Classic.
Sure, vintage car lovers are all for keeping things original, but improving via "modern components is nothing to be scoffed at. Exactly what did Mahindra try to "improve" with the classic and where did they go wrong? Broadly, the difference between a Classic and a CJ3B are:

1. Export quality & thinner tolerance : This has certainly shown in the reliability of my Classic from '97 - '06. That's 10 years of reliable service. Sure, many small niggles were there, but the first really major work came at 1.4x lakh kms when the engine gave up.

2. Torque : Diesel torque at low rpms provides a stupendous advantage when offroading.

3. Longer fuel range : At full revvs, or even otherwise, diesels are 2x - 3x more efficient than petrols. A longer tank range is a boon when offroading.

4. Disc brakes : Way superior to drum brakes. I have repeatedly posted that the disc brakes are reason alone to choose a Classic over the CJ340. Perfectly weighted too.

5. Seats : Those recaro lookalikes do a fantastic job in supporting your frame. All the more vital when you bring in the harsh ride quality of CJs.

6. Tow hook : Good for 5,000 pounds.

7. Updated electrical system

8. 4 speed gearbox

Going further on modern components, us offroaders ought to embrace technology and continually improvise our CJ3Bs / CJ340s / Classics with proven tools such as LSDs etc.

The only two significant advantages of the stock CJ3B versus the "modern" Classic would be the original CJ3B's 200 mm of ground clearance versus 175 for the Classic. Easiest to rectify with tyres. And the fact that the petrol will have an advantage when you need max revvs to climb. But other than that, I'd say the modern Classic is more than a match for the original CJ3B.
Old 5th August 2009, 14:13   #77
BHPian

HI GTO check tis jeep pictures he as put maxiss terepdor tyres, i think they are 235/?/15 in size giving him good ground clearance. might give you an idea. I think the owner is a member here on bhp.
Attached Thumbnails
Raising a Jeep's ground clearance : Options?-img_0202.jpg  

Raising a Jeep's ground clearance : Options?-img_0212.jpg  

Old 5th August 2009, 19:36   #78
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Jeep looks really smart, I believe that's one of the most popular tyre upsizes for CJ340s. Thanks for sharing.
Old 6th August 2009, 10:32   #79
Senior - BHPian

Dear GTO,

Like Mr. Behram pointed out, I feel too that, the best hassle free and effective way to attain good GC by 3-4 + inches is to go for 16" army rims and 31" tyres on them and leaf spring moping, I have had this on my two Jeeps, as it is, the 31" tyre gives you a the lift. The leaf springs moped for added height makes the ride stiff, which was the case with my white jeep. Until I came across the one and only, 80 year old gentleman, Mr. Janaiah who did a custom job on my leaf springs (orange Jeep).

He said "Tell me what height you want to raise your Jeep and how soft you want it?"

I was apprehensive that both could be attained in unison..
Unbelievably, he did it.

A ride nearly as soft as a car with (Bolero shocks), now that I know he can do it, my next 540 will be 3" higher than my previous.

However, check if your Classic can take the 31" tyres and without scraping the insides of you mudguards for better articulation. Its worth it.

Regards,

Raising a Jeep's ground clearance : Options?-j-3.jpg

Raising a Jeep's ground clearance : Options?-j8.jpg
Rear suspension.
Raising a Jeep's ground clearance : Options?-j25.jpg
Front suspension.
Raising a Jeep's ground clearance : Options?-j26.jpg

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 6th August 2009 at 10:38. Reason: grammar ofcourse.
Old 6th August 2009, 19:07   #80
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Dear GTO,

Like Mr. Behram pointed out, I feel too that, the best hassle free and effective way to attain good GC by 3-4 + inches is to go for 16" army rims and 31" tyres on them and leaf spring moping, I have had this on my two Jeeps, as it is, the 31" tyre gives you a the lift.
Your Jeeps look fantastic, that ground clearance mouthwatering and the underbody squeaky clean! Thanks for sharing.

Take a look at this tyre size comparo from the 1010 calculator, between my current tyre size, the most popular 235/75/15, 30x9.5x15 and 31x10.5x15.

The overall diameter goes up by a whopping 90 mm with the 31'...imagine the increase in ground clearance. Even the 30x9.5 gives me about a 66 mm increase in dia, and is substantially thinner than the 10.5 (241 versus 266 mm).

Raising a Jeep's ground clearance : Options?-tyre-comparo.jpg

Quote:
The leaf springs moped for added height makes the ride stiff, which was the case with my white jeep. Until I came across the one and only, 80 year old gentleman, Mr. Janaiah who did a custom job on my leaf springs (orange Jeep).
What is the exact modification that Mr. Janaiah performed?

Last edited by GTO : 6th August 2009 at 19:11.
Old 7th August 2009, 10:24   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

What is the exact modification that Mr. Janaiah performed?
He took my set of springs, and has a pair ready with him of most any 4X4, which he exchanged for an extra cost.

As you can see the pics. the helper is linked to the shackle, which would otherwise be straight and independent. Now the telling difference in action, very reduced body roll, very soft action when you get in and out ditches, about a foot deep, on road too very responsive to potholes and speed breakers. So I assume the helper linked to the main set makes the difference, never saw anyone with this soft a 540, I feel a rigid jeep can drive the hell out of you and tire you within a short time, same is the case with an very soft ride....you feel fatigued.

The right ride would mean none of the above two. This is the orange Jeep ride.

And yes, he added one leaf to the standard set apart from moping them on his huge mechanical contraption.

GTO this is best I could manage to, I am not very technical as all know, but can make out the difference, even a slighest in anything.

Regards,
Old 8th August 2009, 13:56   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

@fazal: This looks like a very innovative way to sort out the height + stiffness related aspects. I am intrigued -- never seen something like this before. Truly very innovative.

And judging by the looks of the leafs and the shackle, it looks pretty reliable too.

What's the kind of cost one is looking for this? Does this work both on the front & rear suspension?

Slightly OT: Where can one get the CB antenna that is there in the white jeep? I need one for my Gypsy
Old 9th August 2009, 20:01   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
@fazal: This looks like a very innovative way to sort out the height + stiffness related aspects. I am intrigued -- never seen something like this before. Truly very innovative.

And judging by the looks of the leafs and the shackle, it looks pretty reliable too.

What's the kind of cost one is looking for this? Does this work both on the front & rear suspension?

Slightly OT: Where can one get the CB antenna that is there in the white jeep? I need one for my Gypsy
Khan Sahib,

80 year old Mr.Jannaiah is the last of the Mohicans who can do it, this I sincerely believe.
Yes, the pics attached are of front and rear suspensions.
Initially there was clanking noise, which on closer inspection revealed that it was not related to the springs.

There are two costs involved, one is a direct exchange with your existing springs and difference paid and the other buying a new set. I paid 13 thousand for the exchange on my 540.

There is an inquiry from a fellow T-BHPian for his Gypsy, I will let you know about the possibilities.

The CB antenna was a last one I picked up from a accessories shop which was with him since about 10+ years.

Regards,

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 9th August 2009 at 20:03.
Old 12th August 2009, 23:41   #84
BHPian

What Tyre Size

I guess this is a bit OT, but since suspension and tyre sizes are being discussed on this thread I think I will ask. I have to change the tyres on my newly acquired 540. The rims are currently stock 16 and the current tyres are Big Rover 6x16

I like Adil Ali's set up on both 540's. Please can you recommend a good set up. I am looking for a softer ride in city
Old 13th August 2009, 05:40   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53BHP View Post
I guess this is a bit OT, but since suspension and tyre sizes are being discussed on this thread I think I will ask. I have to change the tyres on my newly acquired 540. The rims are currently stock 16 and the current tyres are Big Rover 6x16

I like Adil Ali's set up on both 540's. Please can you recommend a good set up. I am looking for a softer ride in city
They tyres on Faizal's both 540's are Apollo Sandgrips. You can inquire the following 3 tyres Apollo Bullets, MRF Sandgrips or a tyre from JK tyres. All these 3 tyres have the same pattern!!!
Old 13th August 2009, 08:20   #86
BHPian

@harjeev: thanks a lot. what rims are these. are they the same size 16 inchers or are they 15inchers?Will the sandgrips be a direct fit on my rims if i cant find the one's on adil's?

Raising a Jeep's ground clearance : Options?-delivery7.jpg
Old 13th August 2009, 08:36   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Dear 53BHP,
The tyres on my white 540 are MRF, Sandgrip and on the Orange 540 it is Apollo, Bullet. The size of both brands is 7.50 X 16.
The MRF and Apollo are both not meant for roads, hence they don't deliver a smooth ride comfort and another disadvantage being that, they wear out in about 20 thousand kms.
Regards,
Old 13th August 2009, 10:08   #88
BHPian

Hi Fazal

What rims are you running and what tyres do you recommend for my type of application where it will be primarily road use with a few weekends of OTR

I am guessing radials would be the way to go. But then wouldnt i have to downsize my rims to 15" set ups?

regards

Ro
Old 13th August 2009, 12:28   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Fazal

What rims are you running and what tyres do you recommend for my type of application where it will be primarily road use with a few weekends of OTR

I am guessing radials would be the way to go. But then wouldnt i have to downsize my rims to 15" set ups?

regards

Ro

I think that you will get all info on off-road tyres on this thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...es-thread.html
Old 13th August 2009, 12:41   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
I think that you will get all info on off-road tyres on this thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...es-thread.html
Tx Harjeev was just going to ask to be directed to an appropriate thread. Feeling bad hijacking this one

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks