Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2014, 11:46   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Winch Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
I will get you the name, I saw it and then forgot it.
we all are waiting eagerly for your feedback, why dont you click a pic from one of your thars fitted with mentioned winch ?
are you really sure they are exact replica of Warn ? what about quality of solenoid, drum, motor ??

Regards,
Shubhendra
Old 10th July 2014, 09:17   #77
Senior - BHPian

Yes the Winch is Runwa or Runawa.

Look at it this way.'

A new Warn winch costs Dhs. 8000 to 9000 these days ( 8000 lb ) with steel chord. ( Rs. 80,000 to 110,000 )

The Indian price from the dealer in Banglore could be in the circa of Rs. 75,000

It is made in China and does not last much. I burnt out two and got them replaced under warranty.

This Runawa is an overproduction from the same factory in China / Taiwan and costs Rs. 17,500.

The planetery gear, motor, solenoid, connector box, clutch is absolutely the same.

If it can last as much as a Warn and will last the same because it is the same product, same material and is being sold for Rs. 17,500 in Mayapuri about Rs. 25,000 at Bimbra it makes more sense.

If looked after properly, protected from rain and not immersed in water during off road sessions it should last 2 to 3 years. Or more depending upon use.

A winch cover made of canvas or rexine can be stiched by any roadside tailor / seat cover maker my copying the Warn cover, it protects the winch motor during rain.

At least one of the vehicles in your group should have this winch.

Life depends totally on use / misuse.

I will post pictures of it mounted on Thars as well, sending my driver to Mayapuri to get two of them today or tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
A Winch Test-hatta-004.jpg  

Last edited by desertfox : 10th July 2014 at 09:24.
Old 10th July 2014, 10:55   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes the Winch is Runwa or Runawa.

If looked after properly, protected from rain and not immersed in water during off road sessions it should last 2 to 3 years. Or more depending upon use.

At least one of the vehicles in your group should have this winch.

Life depends totally on use / misuse.
Shahid bhai,
Less i talk about Runwa better it is, 60% winch owners in our group use Runwa, few Mile Marker, one warn and one Ramsey.
I never saw a single trouble free winch at least in our group, quality sucks. Rather than putting 20-25 thousand rupees into Runwa, i will better out my money in Mile Marker (35-40 K).
Do you get spares for Runwa if something goes wrong ?
Can you share contact details of distributor for the benefit of this community ?

Shubhendra
Old 10th July 2014, 11:58   #79
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That is not saying much, is it? My Ramsey winch featured in the first page is still going strong after 5+ years, already in it's second Jeep, with no protection from dust or rains. It is regularly dunked in water, and is bombarded by heavy rains 4 months a year since 2009. Still, it lives, without a single service. Most OTRs it has done happens to be monsoon OTRs, in heavy rains, often operated in the rains.

If Runwa is same as Warn, are you saying Warn is not as resilient as Ramsey?

Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 12:05   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

My concern would be the cable strength. You may have the same mechanicals but are the cables rated?

At The Winch Challenge we saw three cable snaps of Mile Markers. Though they happened due to abuse and incorrect techniques, i would wonder what the QC and rating of these chinese Runwa winches be?
Old 10th July 2014, 13:42   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
My concern would be the cable strength. You may have the same mechanicals but are the cables rated?
i am not sure but cant it be taken care of ? we have dozens of manufactures/suppliers of cables with various specifications. What about nylon cables ? are they abuse friendly ?

Shubhendra
Old 10th July 2014, 13:48   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
i am not sure but cant it be taken care of ? we have dozens of manufactures/suppliers of cables with various specifications. What about nylon cables ? are they abuse friendly ?

Shubhendra
No equipment should be abused. Period. Use as recommended only.

My worry was about the cable strength of the cheaper winches.
Old 10th July 2014, 20:30   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The planetery gear, motor, solenoid, connector box, clutch is absolutely the same.
My experience with the runva winch is that (I have a 10000lbs one)
  • It pulls loads.. ie, cleanly pulls 2 Jeeps over a 25+ degree incline.
  • It can be operated for extended times. I've operated it for over 3 hours with ~20 mins downtime for removing and refitting winch cables.
  • The speed is pathetic!.. Very Slow. Impractical for convoy/time bound use.
  • I've immersed it in water and deep slushy mud. Works OK.
  • However, right now, I have a misaligned center shaft, need to make sure if its because of my abuse, or the recent improper mounting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
If Runwa is same as Warn, are you saying Warn is not as resilient as Ramsey?
My experience says (though might be limited), Ramsey is the best!

Quote:
Cables can always be swapped for proper ones. Come next two years, and I see a lot of frequent winch'ers move to synthetic ones.
Old 10th July 2014, 21:04   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post

Cables can always be swapped for proper ones. Come next two years, and I see a lot of frequent winch'ers move to synthetic ones.
Have you done it your self?

What's the point of buying a ~Rs.20,000 winch and then changing to a safer cable of ~Rs. 15,000 to 20,000? Rather buy a proper winch then.

If people are going to buy a winch because it's cheap then i don't see them moving to a better cable. And if they waiting to move to a newer one after it snaps then it's an accident waiting to happen.

I have nothing against Runwa, i just want to know if they supply rated cables since the above post says only the mechanicals are Warn and not the cable (? Warn apparently rather - how that conclusion was derived needs to be shown here instead of a claim of a salesman from Mayapuri - unless it's put up somewhere and i missed it - in that case can someone re post or share link)

EDIT: and what about the braking mechanism in the assembly. Are they chinese made since it's not on the list posted by desertfox.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 10th July 2014 at 21:06.
Old 10th July 2014, 21:58   #85
Senior - BHPian

Chinese Winches

Hi Guys,

I have imported and used Chinese winches since March 2007.

My usage initially has been of abuse and neglect.

In Dec 2007, the winch motor packed up, due to water and grime seeping into the Motor, hence a Winch Cover is strongly recommended.

The winch motor was serviced (Carbon Brushes changed) before EXAMM/AKC 2010, but that didn't survive till the end of 2010.

The Winch Motor was completely Serviced (Motor Rewound) for BAOTR2011, and has been working well since then.

I think the Motor Winding done in INDIA, is more effective, the winch pulls better, and heats up less than, when the winch was new.

The Integrated Steel Wire Rope (Steel Core) is quite robust, but a real pain to use.

Over the years the cable has frayed, and kinked.

With careful usage it does the work, but I am looking forward to upgrading to UHWPE (synthetic) Rope.

The solenoid system is "MOST" Chinese winches are not very suitable for prolonged winching, and upgrading them to Contactors will help.

wrt Chinese ISW Rope, my guess is they are using rated winch Cables/Ropes.

How ever changing to ISW ropes in INDIA is not very expensive. 30 mtrs will cost Approx Rs4500/- in a marine hardware shop, with crimping.

The real advantage the Chinese Winches have is
1) Price
2) Serviceability
3) Cost-Effective upgrades (Synthetic Rope, HD Contactors, Refurbished Motors/in cab controls)

Regards,

Arka

Last edited by ex670c : 10th July 2014 at 22:08.
ex670c is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 00:16   #86
Senior - BHPian

I did not use the brand Ramsey in this comparision because it is less popular in Asia. But today the truth is that this too is made in China and Taiwan.

Mile marker may be better, products from Bushranger Australia even better but they will be in the + 70,000 Rs. bracket.

Milemarket at 40 K is still double the price.

Depending upon use or abuse this Runwa is doing the job and quality wise is absolutely similar to the Chinese made Warn.

Even the steel cable is the same, obviously if the same sourse then the cable, fairway, remote, electrical wire, winding wire, eveything will be the same mass production.

If the ratio os 256 : 1 to say about 265 ; 1 it can easily pull a Jeep. Thar or similar 1800 Kg vehicle out of a stuck situation but vehicle power of the stuck vehicle is also essential.

A lot of Thar owners have used it, I have also ordered two of them from Mayapuri.

This guy is not a dealer but a stockist I guess and the 8000 lb for Rs. 17,000 is a fair deal. Importer in India may be someone else.

Just to the left of the Jeep ally in Mayapuri where diesel engines and truck parts are sold this is the third shop on the right, owners name is Bobby a Sikh gentleman. He and his brothers run the business,
Old 11th July 2014, 11:39   #87
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chinese Winches

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
3) Cost-Effective upgrades (Synthetic Rope, HD Contactors, Refurbished Motors/in cab controls)
Arka ji,
Does it mean if i buy Runwa, i will get all indianized solution/spares to upgrade this winch ?

Off topic - how do you remember so many things ?

Shubhendra Singh
Shubhendra is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2014, 10:57   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Have you done it your self?
Nope, but in the very near future, I plan to. Mine is frayed.
Quote:
What's the point of buying a ~Rs.20,000 winch and then changing to a safer cable of ~Rs. 15,000 to 20,000? Rather buy a proper winch then.
For ~40000, you get a ~10000lbs winch with synthetic rope. Which other wise will cost?
Quote:
EDIT: and what about the braking mechanism in the assembly. Are they chinese made since it's not on the list posted by desertfox.
Not sure. But, in the near future, planning to completely disassemble my winch. Will post a detailed review.
Old 14th July 2014, 11:16   #89
Senior - BHPian

If the steel cable is replaced with Plasma cable it will last much more but this sub 20,000 winch should me more of a use till you can and repair / replace theory.
Old 14th July 2014, 11:27   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Nope, but in the very near future, I plan to. Mine is frayed.
If you have noticed that it is frayed, please change it asap.

Quote:
For ~40000, you get a ~10000lbs winch with synthetic rope. Which other wise will cost?
You do get them from abroad if someone is willing to carry it down for you or if you can carry it down yourself I've done it for my winch.

Also, has anyone checked how hot this Runwa one gets? There was a wonderful test on fourwheeler mag testing heating of drums of various winches. Their results varied from ~91°C to ~150° C in some cases if i recall correctly.

If it gets too hot on use, you risk damage of the synthetic rope (even with heat shield).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks