Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2010, 16:32   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
i just want to know what this special bumper will do?
will it protect the vehicle in case of a collision??!
Answer should be yes, both on & off road/rocks etc. Rest probably you can search the utility of bumpers like ARB and get to know the answers.
Quote:
is it only for making the vehicle look muscular?!
The 'only' term is definitely objectionable. But i guess it does take care of that
Quote:
i know for sure, it adds extra weight to the gypsy and its small 1.3 ltr engine!
True, but how much weight that can be shared by Gotzuk only. And purely my personal opinion, but practically that mpfi engine probably is not 'that small'!
Quote:
i know you have fitted a similar bumper and you want to add winch on it!
Well the bumper quite sensibly does 've provision for a winch mount, but no investment on it unless feel seriously about the requirement which doesn't exist at the moment. Often things are not 'only' for looks.
Anyways i guess the thread is for gypsy pics only.

Last edited by Kandisa : 20th January 2010 at 16:33. Reason: spell check
Old 20th January 2010, 17:23   #17
BHPian

Quote:

will it protect the vehicle in case of a collision?
is it only for making the vehicle look muscular?

i know for sure, it adds extra weight to the gypsy and its small 1.3 ltr engine!

i know you have fitted a similar bumper and you want to add winch on it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotzuk View Post
I recently installed a heavy duty bumper (ARB ripoff) with integrated winch mount on my gypsy.
It bolts on to the chassis, is pretty well made and comes with mounts for auxiliary lights, vhf antennae and hi lift jack and uses stock parking light units.
Well, as Vaibhav has said before, it is mainly customised for winch mounting but also comes with mounts for auxiliary lights, vhf antennae and hi lift jack and uses stock parking light units.

Try getting a winch mounted on a standard gypsy bumper! You will end up spending 4 times of the cost of the bumper for aproper job. Then for the additional utilities I think it is pretty good.

Not all mods increase speed of the vehicle and by the way the "small" 1.3L mpfi engine is more than adequate for the gypsy. Drive one and you will know.

Last edited by GoSlow : 20th January 2010 at 17:24.
Old 20th January 2010, 18:08   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jealousdiamond View Post
Abheek , how much did you pay (total cost ) for the fabrication of it / wats the sheet charges are like for the 14 gauge sheet ? I can also see provison of a winch , are you installing that as well ?

Hi
I will surely share the costs once the projects get finished and the final bill is in my hand. Sheet metal costs appx Rs. 30/- to 40/- per Kg which means that the costs wont be as hefty as the commercial ones. But Gaju Bhau has yet to give me a bill of his labour charges, dunno how much that will be
I am keeping a provision of a winch to be fitted later on whenever required as I am not into super hardcore offroading.

regards,
Dr. Abheek Ghosh
Old 20th January 2010, 20:01   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
Answer should be yes, both on & off road/rocks etc. Rest probably you can search the utility of bumpers like ARB and get to know the answers.

The 'only' term is definitely objectionable. But i guess it does take care of that

True, but how much weight that can be shared by Gotzuk only. And purely my personal opinion, but practically that mpfi engine probably is not 'that small'!

Well the bumper quite sensibly does 've provision for a winch mount, but no investment on it unless feel seriously about the requirement which doesn't exist at the moment. Often things are not 'only' for looks.
Anyways i guess the thread is for gypsy pics only.
i have had the experience of being associated with Anthony Ronald Brown for a long time and have used their equipment from Africa to Middle east.
Old 20th January 2010, 21:44   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Those who are aware about the quotes of renowned garages will know about it and even those are not the best of the lot. For the sheer looks though you can always have the cheaper versions made out of few gauges of metal and welding it in the conventional way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
Try getting a winch mounted on a standard gypsy bumper! You will end up spending 4 times of the cost of the bumper for aproper job. Then for the additional utilities I think it is pretty good.

Kandisa, Go Slow,
You hit the nail on the head.
The handful people who do quality work charge a bomb for customized jobs.

Quote:
glad to hear that it doesnt make the gypsy go faster, so it's just like a normal bumper, but looks different and costs a BOMB!

it sure must be doing something special and different to cost that much!

how much weight it adds to the gypsy compared to the OE bumper?
Quote:
i have had the experience of being associated with Anthony Ronald Brown for a long time and have used their equipment from Africa to Middle east.
You have used the equipment and have known the founder himself, no less.
I am surprised then, that you ask the questions you ask.

Anyways, The bumper is not from Mars, all it does is provide a nice mount for a winch, aux. lights, vhf antennae, jack/tow points and looks good in the process (to me at least).

Whether it is worth the price or not is very subjective and is another discussion altogether.

Cheers
Old 21st January 2010, 09:38   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow, thats really great!
Quote:
...does this bumper makes the gypsy go faster?..
Quote:
..will it protect the vehicle in case of a collision?
..is it only for making the vehicle look muscular?
Now I am really surprised....!

Quote:
...You have used the equipment and have known the founder himself, no less...
I am surprised then, that you ask the questions you ask.
+1 to that.

EDIT: Mods, thanks for creating the new thread. I guess the title can be changed a bit to "Customized Off-roading bumpers for Jeeps and Gypsys" to accommodate bumpers for jeeps also.

Last edited by Kandisa : 21st January 2010 at 09:53.
Old 31st January 2010, 00:28   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow, thats really great!

Now I am really surprised....!

+1 to that.

EDIT: Mods, thanks for creating the new thread. I guess the title can be changed a bit to "Customized Off-roading bumpers for Jeeps and Gypsys" to accommodate bumpers for jeeps also.
sorry for the late reply, i didnt knew where this thread went!

anyway, i just wanted to know what functionality you expected from an ARB look alike bumper!
Old 6th February 2010, 12:19   #23
BHPian

[
with Parn...20k for the bumper is pricey when a stock bumper comes with under2k.No question asked about the new bumper's capabilities,looks and safety but i think he just wanted to say it over prised and me too feel that.
Old 18th February 2010, 11:00   #24
BHPian

Custom front bumper fabrication cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by jealousdiamond View Post
Abheek , how much did you pay (total cost ) for the fabrication of it / wats the sheet charges are like for the 14 gauge sheet ? I can also see provison of a winch , are you installing that as well ?
Hi
The bumper was fabricated at a total cost of 9k INR which includes cost of sheet metal and fabrication charges - gajanan bhau's charges and electric welder's charges - (doesn't include cost of several liters of tea and countless packets of cigarettes !! ). I have hand painted it as of now so the painter's cost is not included. I am planning to make a few more for the others in my group . Let me know if you (or anyone else) is interested and I can get it prepared with my lot.

Here are some of the pics from the field. Winch has not been attached yet.
Critiques and comments welcome on the design aspect - how does it look ? I was more comfortable with round indicators and fog lights.

Anything else that I could consider for future bumpers wrt looks/functionaity/ etc...

regards,
Dr. Abheek Ghosh
Attached Thumbnails
Custom Off-Roading Bumper's for Gypsy's-dsc_0067.jpg  

Custom Off-Roading Bumper's for Gypsy's-dsc_0068.jpg  

Custom Off-Roading Bumper's for Gypsy's-dsc_0059.jpg  

Custom Off-Roading Bumper's for Gypsy's-dsc_0285.jpg  

Last edited by abheekg : 18th February 2010 at 11:04.
Old 18th February 2010, 11:13   #25
BHPian

Now thats a real good looking bumper.That thing Completely changed the looks of the gypsy! Looking more machoer now.. 9k for a custom made bumper, not bad!!
Old 18th February 2010, 12:12   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
Hi
. Let me know if you (or anyone else) is interested and I can get it prepared with my lot.

regards,
Dr. Abheek Ghosh
Hi Abheek,can provide the detailed drawing and materils spec etc here.so as we can try locally fabricated those and avoid the logistic cost involved.

Raj
Old 18th February 2010, 12:38   #27
Senior - BHPian

Hi Abheek,
The bumper has come out good at least in design & looks and considering it was done in your local garage. Your fabricator has done a pretty decent job. The cost of 9k is not bad and is a good investment for all the auxiliary fitments it can provide apart from the looks.
And now considering the bigger size (as it is for a 540 type jeep), higher thickness, complex design, machine-bending, MIG & TIG welding, powder coating, cost-wise i think the bumper of my jeep has come in a justified price. Few photos:

Custom Off-Roading Bumper's for Gypsy's-b0.jpg

Custom Off-Roading Bumper's for Gypsy's-b1.jpg

Custom Off-Roading Bumper's for Gypsy's-b2.jpg

Last edited by Kandisa : 18th February 2010 at 12:39.
Old 18th February 2010, 12:54   #28
BHPian

Abheek,
How have you mounted the bumper?
Is it mounted on the stock bumper mountings?

Cheers
Vaibhav
Old 18th February 2010, 13:49   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Abheek,
How have you mounted the bumper?
Is it mounted on the stock bumper mountings?

Cheers
Vaibhav
Hi Vaibhav,

Are you the one who has the sheet metal cover (the one used on bus floorings) on the back of your gypsy?
saw it at performance a while back!

Kandisa, great bumper man! how much and from where? the bar design is very performance auto though!

Last edited by saintsinner : 18th February 2010 at 13:57.
Old 18th February 2010, 15:46   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsinner View Post
Hi Vaibhav,
Are you the one who has the sheet metal cover (the one used on bus floorings) on the back of your gypsy?
saw it at performance a while back!..
Vaibhav does have the rear covered with that innovative chequer plate fabrication.

Quote:
...Kandisa, great bumper man! how much and from where? the bar design is very performance auto though!
Thanks buddy. It was designed and fabricated by Mandeep (renegade in Tbhp) in his factory in Punjab equipped with everything one needs to make a custom heavy duty offroad bumper. It may go into mass production very soon and similar type of bumper for gypsy is also on the cards.
As per the design, well the offroad bumpers usually have few specific types of design pattern. But the key is to design it concretely and execute it in a seamless manner with proper machinaries used at every step. I am yet to see any similar looking bumper with this kind of thickness, design, welding and finishing being fabricated here in a similar price range. And the bar is the simplest part of the entire bumper assembly
The details are here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...-mm-440-a.html

As per the cost, its couple of thousands less than that charged for the following bumper by the place you mentioned.

Custom Off-Roading Bumper's for Gypsy's-raj1.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks