Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2010, 12:49   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Handling with Torsion Bar Set up in Scorpio/Safari 4x4

One thing I noticed after driving my Scorpio 4x4 for about a 1000 km was that the 4x4 handles better than the 2WD. Was discussing this with jjoyeb and we think it is because the torsion bar set up is more rigid set up and helps with handling by reducing the body roll/floating effect.

@spike or @behramji can either of you opine if the 4x4 will have better road handling than the 2WD Scorp due to the torsion bar set up? Though I have not driving the Safari 4WD extensively I wonder if this is the case with Safari too.
Old 21st February 2010, 19:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

Torsion bar setup

@4x4 addict as far as scorpio 4wd is considered yes you are correct, the torsion bar setup improves the handling characteristics of the car (your cornering becomes tighter in a torsion bar setup as it hold the vehicle longitudinally for a greater length), the coil springs are good in case of axial loads but when exposed to lateral loads (lateral load transfer) they give away, regarding 4wd safari i am not sure of what suspension setup it runs on, will have a look and then comment.

Spike

P.S. There are two types of torsion bar setups available with M&M, a longer and a shorter one (mountings are also different), Thar is also equipped with one of these, any guesses guys which one?
Old 21st February 2010, 22:35   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear 4*4 addict - yes, you are correct. The torsion bar setup has come out very well. The main reason why a torsion bar delivers better result is that the effectivity of the front suspension extends way beyond midpoint of the wheelbase, so it plays a complimenting role to the rear suspension also. The Kijang (our Qualis) uses torsion bars attached to the upper control arm. It too handles beautifully.

By the way, have you driven the latest 2 wheel drive Scorpio? Drive it and let us know.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 21st February 2010, 22:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR;1744367...
P.S. There are two types of torsion bar setups available with M&M, a longer and a shorter one (mountings are also different), Thar is also equipped with one of these, [B
any guesses guys which one?[/b]
The good one?....just a guess here...dont want to over extend myself.

By the way, which is the good one? Why?
Old 21st February 2010, 23:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
[b][u]The main reason why a torsion bar delivers better result is that the effectivity of the front suspension extends way beyond midpoint of the wheelbase, so it plays a complimenting role to the rear suspension also....

Behram Dhabhar
Sir,
Could you please explain it in a way we can understand.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 26th February 2010, 08:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

DB Sir, any pictures to illustrate that better. Get a vague feeling but pics do help in better understanding!
Old 26th February 2010, 22:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Pictures will show the same thing you will see if you stick your head under a 4x4 Scorpio or Safari. What is needed are clear explanations. Esp, since I'm all at sea on this one

Regards
Sutripta
Old 2nd March 2010, 14:24   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

By the way, have you driven the latest 2 wheel drive Scorpio? Drive it and let us know.
Are there any changes to the suspension in the latest 2wd? I drive a pre-facelift M-Hawk the Handling is better compared to the previous CRDe.

What about the Ride, does the it get better with torsion setup in 4wd?
Old 6th December 2010, 07:51   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Kijang (our Qualis) uses torsion bars attached to the upper control arm. It too handles beautifully.

Behraam saab, I guess the experiences of a fellow BHPian on the thread below answers your unanswered question

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...r-scorpio.html

Another query.

Can the torsion bar set up be retrofitted by M & M on the leaf spring and coil spring Scorpios as an option ? I wonder what could be the costs involved.
Old 6th December 2010, 08:34   #10
Senior - BHPian

This was a question I was pondering as well, I have stuck my head underneath my Safari many times when it was hoisted up for service/washing etc. and tried to figure out the suspension system, the torsion bar in the Safari too extends almost beyond the mid car length, explanation in layman's terms about how this helps handling will be appreciated.
Old 6th December 2010, 10:01   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
P.S. There are two types of torsion bar setups available with M&M, a longer and a shorter one (mountings are also different), Thar is also equipped with one of these, any guesses guys which one?
i would say a shorter one.
Old 6th December 2010, 11:57   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
i would say a shorter one.
I would say longer one to give better articulation and allow for lifting the suspension. Spike, stop teasing and give us the answer ...
Old 22nd December 2010, 18:05   #13
NFS
BHPian

Re: Handling with Torsion Bar Set up in Scorpio/Safari 4x4

Respected BHPians, in another thread GTO says handling is better in 2wd with IFS front suspension. Here we are talking about better handling with 4x4 torsion bar setup. Please shed some light in the interest of newbie 4x4 enthusiasts.

Thread reference here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2180480

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks