Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2010, 18:10   #16

jeep steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Every Jeep owner knows how unpredictable the steering is. You need to keep giving small corrective inputs (and at times large) all the time to make her go straight.

At times the steering is straight and the jeep goes straight. After a few kms the jeep goes straight when the steering is at a 30 degree angle.

I've been facing this problem all the time. I've done everything to rectify it (nearly everything). Check steering linkages and oiled it. Replaced wheel bearings, checked tie rods & aligned the wheels.

Jeep steering also seems to have a lot of play all the time.

Gypsies do not face this issue at all.

So, what can be done to make a Jeep's steering more predictable?

Does adding a Power steering make it more predictable or does the problem worsen?

Pour your thoughts and inputs here.
I fully agree with you on this regard. our unit got a brand new mm550 xdp jeep last year it had this steering play right from the very beginning. try and adjust from the play adjusting nut, check for play in all the tie rod ends, most importantly check the bell crank for wear/ slap. also make sure that the steering box is securely mounted and is not moving in its place. last but not the least, check for king pin play in the hub(specially the 4wd ones.
Old 3rd May 2010, 22:40   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Just exploring options. Is this loosening of the steering box a regular feature? I thought it was specific to my Classic only.
Steering box loosening happens in all 340s and Willys.
Old 4th May 2010, 11:10   #18
Senior - BHPian

I have a query regarding Steering. I saw many after market Steering Wheels and the it seems you need to use a HUB to get this fixed. In what way is this HUB useful and why is it required. Why cant these be fitted without a HUB? Does this affect the steering behaviour?

I hope its not overtly OT.
Old 4th May 2010, 11:42   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Steering box loosening happens in all 340s and Willys.
Would locktight help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
I have a query regarding Steering. I saw many after market Steering Wheels and the it seems you need to use a HUB to get this fixed. In what way is this HUB useful and why is it required. Why cant these be fitted without a HUB? Does this affect the steering behaviour?

I hope its not overtly OT.
The steering wheel has to fit onto the steering rod/column. The OE one fits properly. Now the aftermarket ones will off course not match OE ones (internal diameter/screw holes, etc). Thus you need a hub which will fit the column/rod and then this steering wheel will fit onto the hub.

It does not affect steering behavior. However, if you go for a smaller steering wheel, your turning effort will increase.
Old 4th May 2010, 14:53   #20
Senior - BHPian

Play-Slack

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushmaster View Post
I fully agree with you on this regard. our unit got a brand new mm550 xdp jeep last year it had this steering play right from the very beginning. try and adjust from the play adjusting nut, check for play in all the tie rod ends, most importantly check the bell crank for wear/ slap. also make sure that the steering box is securely mounted and is not moving in its place. last but not the least, check for king pin play in the hub(specially the 4wd ones.
Hi Bushmaster,

If your "UNIT" got a brand new MM550XD, then it must be a NGCS MM550XD, with 57" OKBJ Front Axles and MRCBT Steering, which eliminates 3 Ball-Joints and Bell-Crank.

This steering is very direct and, the play/slack can be adjusted by a vertical adjustment screw/nut on the steering box.

There is a certain amount of play in the steering system, even in a brand new vehicle, to reduce driver effort.

If there is no play then the driver has to make continuous adjustment to the steering, as the wheels will track the surface and every bit of undulation will be sent to the steering wheel.

Please confirm on the model of the vehicle.

Regards,

Arka
Old 4th May 2010, 15:15   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just exploring options. Is this loosening of the steering box a regular feature? I thought it was specific to my Classic only.
Happens to me all the time. Usually after a wild run. Also, considering the places your CL has been to, I am not surprised.

I usually get my wheels aligned and it usually solves the problem, but that's only short lived. One OTR and things get back to normal. Now I just live with it.
Old 4th May 2010, 23:56   #22
Team-BHP Support

I had this issue when i bought the jeep, but then 7000 bucks is all it took to fix it, a new Rane box, rods, some lather work etc sorted out the issue. No wander no free play, no death wobble. am and it aint rocket science.

Gypsies also come with free play once they age, but then they have to age as much as a jeep.
Old 19th May 2010, 21:46   #23
BANNED

is it not possible to replace the whole steering set up with tavera /sumo/safari ones ?
Old 19th May 2010, 22:55   #24
Senior - BHPian

I fitted an aftermarket smaller steering wheel with a hub on my gypsy last week.

i feel the effort taken is lesser than the stock steering which is very heavy compared to the after market one, yes you do need to turn it a bit more but the effort required is less as its very light and turns easily. I also feel the play has reduced just marginally.
Old 20th May 2010, 00:05   #25
Team-BHP Support

I think you are getting confused with a wider steering rim width compared to the stock ones. When you put smaller steering, the effort increases and not decreases, simple physics
Old 20th May 2010, 11:15   #26
Senior - BHPian

I agree with you Jaggu, however in this case, the extra effort is to have more rotations of the steering wheel (with the smaller one).

The fact here is that the new one very light in weight and hence turns easily compared to the stock one so even though you might have to do more rotations to turn the car, its fairly lighter than stock.

I hope you are getting my point.

I think the stock one is approx 16 inches dia and the smaller one is around 12 inches which is a tad less but i realised that only after i had already fitted it
Old 20th May 2010, 11:46   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I think you are getting confused with a wider steering rim width compared to the stock ones. When you put smaller steering, the effort increases and not decreases, simple physics
True Jaggu. It's placebo effect!

Give more details of the lathe work you did. The Rane box in your Jeep will be dif from the Classic one right?
Old 20th May 2010, 12:54   #28
Team-BHP Support

Lathe work question is for me right? Lathe work was done to check and correct kingpin IIRC. I need to check the bill for more details, but i know it was minimal since most of parts were replaced instead.

Am not sure if the box is same for Classic and CJ3B, but one issue with the Rane kit is that you lose the horn wire (the rod is not hollow to pull the wire) and hence will have to relocate the function from the central steering switch to the indicator console which has a thumb switch for horn.
Old 20th May 2010, 21:59   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
is it not possible to replace the whole steering set up with tavera /sumo/safari ones ?

Hi guy

Any suggestion on this?

everyone has overlooked my post
Old 20th May 2010, 23:20   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
True Jaggu. It's placebo effect!
Quite Possible Tejas

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks