Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2010, 18:04   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Making a 3B/Jeep more Comfortable

This thread is all about making the 3B/jeep a more comfortable place to sit and live in. Many of us have to travel hundreds of kilometres to find offroading terrain worth our salt. Some ofcourse have it very lucky and in their back yard.

So what can you do to make your jeep more comfortable on road - as well as from a noise, heat insulation perspective?

The rules on this thread are to give suggestions ranging from the cheapest to the most expensive so that people can decide which one to use when building their jeep.

1. Chassis/Body Mounts. You get the round ones or the square ones.

2. Engine mounts: The same as the body mounts?

3. Adding material around the bonnet area and on the firewall (inside the bonnet and inside the dashboard: Wurth 16 MM sheets

4. I guess open door jeeps should add doors and windows

5. Shock absorbers/dampers? What type? Gas shocks are obviously more heavy duty and will be harder on road (stiffer suspension).

6. Leaf Springs - Steel/CFL?. I have not heard much from people using CFL's about their comfort over stock springs.

7. Seats - what kind of padding can be stuffed in what kind of seats?

Let the suggestions pour in.

Yes, I am trying to make my jeep more comfortable!
Old 22nd June 2010, 18:24   #2
BANNED

Quote:
1. Chassis/Body Mounts. You get the round ones or the square ones.
There are some polyurethane mounts being fabricated for Jeeps.

Quote:
2. Engine mounts: The same as the body mounts?
Same as above.

Quote:
3. Adding material around the bonnet area and on the firewall (inside the bonnet and inside the dashboard: Wurth 16 MM sheets
Yeah that would be it.

Quote:
4. I guess open door jeeps should add doors and windows
Or ear plugs.

Quote:
5. Shock absorbers/dampers? What type? Gas shocks are obviously more heavy duty and will be harder on road (stiffer suspension).
Wouldnt gas shocks be costly?

Quote:
6. Leaf Springs - Steel/CFL?. I have not heard much from people using CFL's about their comfort over stock springs.
I would like to know too. I saw a set of broken CFLs (on a Bolero) and it didnt look too good.

Quote:
I am the look out for seats from a Cielo or something, hope they fit in the Classic.

But serioulsy the Jeep was designed to carry war hardened bottoms to chase Rommel across African deserts. Sound insulation and dust in the eyes would be the last thing they thought about.
Old 22nd June 2010, 18:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

8. Sell the Jeep and buy a car .

jokes apart, the following definitely goes a long way to make the off-roader more comfortable :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
seats from any of the mid-size sedans (eg. Baleno), with extra padding as required, should make the journey more comfortable in a CJ3B/any Jeep/Gypsy. And if it is going to be hot/humid, then the ventilation provided by those beaded seat-cover-thingy will help to keep the sweating under control.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 22nd June 2010 at 18:29.
Old 22nd June 2010, 19:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire
There are some polyurethane mounts being fabricated for Jeeps.
Polyurethane mounts enhance comfort?
Old 22nd June 2010, 20:18   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Polyurethane mounts enhance comfort?
I would like to know more about these too.

I am fabricating the mounts/frame for the Cielo seats already. Pictures here early next week on that along with pricing. Sorry couldnt wait for the advice and then do it

Where can we get the Wurth Sheets? Any shop that stocks this in Bangalore? How much do they roughly cost?

The gas shocks are usually used for load carrying vehicles. So they will absorb impact a lot better than our regular dampers. But I just want dampers that help soften the ride on the roads. So are the stock ones the best bet? Nothing better in the local market?

Last edited by Red Liner : 22nd June 2010 at 20:19.
Old 22nd June 2010, 21:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hey, polyurethane bushes are stronger but in terms of damping but they are not as good as rubber. Rubber is softer and the absorption rate of the commercial grade is higher hence the quick deterioration. Where as the polyurethane bushes, they are way stronger at the sacrifice of suppleness hence used in race applications.

If you want to make your jeep feel stiffer at the cost of creating more vibrations throughout the shell go for poly...

My best suggestion for you would be to find rubber air bellows. You wouldnt find them used on passenger vehicles generally. There are a few manufacturers already supplying to the 4x4 world, here is a link;
FIRESTONE AIR BAG SUSPENSIONS

These air bellows not only help increase ground clearance but also dampen shock waves created by sudden compression/expansion cycles way way way better than foam/rubber bushes.

In India the first of these was used in buses, the interstate ones featuring "Air Car" or "Air Coach". Were you ever surprised while travelling in these buses why there was no creaking noise at all? I noticed that when I was travelling from Bangalore to my home town near Mangalore around a decade back...

I am looking to change my MM 540 bushes to these shortly, isolating vendors who can supply the right ones locally. I have already found a manufacturer who exports these from India but yet to receive a response from them on retailers for limited quantity consumption.

We are the first ones Im guessing on Tbhp exploring this option, I wanted to discuss this with some Pro's before posting here but your mail abruptly prompted me to lift the curtains

Last edited by The Wolf : 22nd June 2010 at 21:26.
Old 22nd June 2010, 21:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

Venky, there is a very potent solution, alas its not a 3B, you may have to shell out some money.

Spike
Old 22nd June 2010, 22:02   #8
BHPian

If I plan to make ride comfort on the jeep I start with suspension. The leaf spring should be thin in size. No of spring should be more in a single set. I prefer smooth surface on the spring. If needed sand the surface. Use good quality lubricant on the surfaces of spring.reduces friction between the spring. Next camber of spring properly set. Spring mounting, I go for bigger rubber bushes. Bit of porch alter is needed. Now for shocks, double acting shocks with long stroke. I stick to hydraulic shocks. Even soft double shocks on each suspension will work. Handling will improve. Body roll minimize.

Now for engine bedding. Tata sumo or tavera mounts are fine. Gear box mount, stick to jeep OE. Add a small 2 wheeler shocks next to the engine mount connected to the engine. K/H shocks will do. Use a fixable pipe starting of silencer pipe from the engine. It is available in the market in different dia. lot of vibration is reduced. Use good rubber rings to hold silencer pipe. Remove all body panels like fender, front grill, refit it using rubber sealant between the joint. This will make the body one unit. Seats, I look for firm and rigid type. Body mounts: any good rubber mount will do. Tubeless or soft side wall tyre work wonders.
Old 22nd June 2010, 23:30   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post

I am looking to change my MM 540 bushes to these shortly, isolating vendors who can supply the right ones locally. I have already found a manufacturer who exports these from India but yet to receive a response from them on retailers for limited quantity consumption.

We are the first ones Im guessing on Tbhp exploring this option, I wanted to discuss this with some Pro's before posting here but your mail abruptly prompted me to lift the curtains
These sound like an extremely interesting option! How soon do you think we can push them for it? Ofcourse the quanities we are talking about are miniscule, so they'll have to do us a favor more than anything else. Let me know if you need any help from the rest of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Venky, there is a very potent solution, alas its not a 3B, you may have to shell out some money.

Spike
If the answer is THAR I will chase you at EXAMM/AKC with a stick. As long as its not going to cost the world, please tell me what your suggestion is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narendra.vw View Post
If I plan to make ride comfort on the jeep I start with suspension. The leaf spring should be thin in size. No of spring should be more in a single set. I prefer smooth surface on the spring. If needed sand the surface. Use good quality lubricant on the surfaces of spring.reduces friction between the spring. Next camber of spring properly set. Spring mounting, I go for bigger rubber bushes. Bit of porch alter is needed. Now for shocks, double acting shocks with long stroke. I stick to hydraulic shocks. Even soft double shocks on each suspension will work. Handling will improve. Body roll minimize.

Now for engine bedding. Tata sumo or tavera mounts are fine. Gear box mount, stick to jeep OE. Add a small 2 wheeler shocks next to the engine mount connected to the engine. K/H shocks will do. Use a fixable pipe starting of silencer pipe from the engine. It is available in the market in different dia. lot of vibration is reduced. Use good rubber rings to hold silencer pipe. Remove all body panels like fender, front grill, refit it using rubber sealant between the joint. This will make the body one unit. Seats, I look for firm and rigid type. Body mounts: any good rubber mount will do. Tubeless or soft side wall tyre work wonders.
Sir, your suggestions seem to make sense. Kindly allow me some time to process and get back I have already begun formulating questions on a few things you've mentioned...
Old 22nd June 2010, 23:51   #10
BANNED

Very silly thought.

If its comfortable its never a jeep in the first case. And jeeps can never on earth turn comfortable.

Enjoy your Scorpio and let your Jeep remain what it is.
Old 22nd June 2010, 23:57   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Very silly thought.

If its comfortable its never a jeep in the first case. And jeeps can never on earth turn comfortable.

Enjoy your Scorpio and let your Jeep remain what it is.
I invite you to sit in mine for a trip from here to Munnar in its current condition.

It aint a rocket ship...its a RACKET SHIP Khan will testify...hehehe
Old 23rd June 2010, 00:19   #12
BANNED

Quote:
I invite you to sit in mine for a trip from here to Munnar in its current condition.

It aint a rocket ship...its a RACKET SHIP Khan will testify...hehehe

I would not risk that

I have driven many jeeps, they are good when they are retained BONE stock.

Probably yours is a bit different due to useage and age, i understood what you meant by this thread.

Restore it as per the stock specifications, you will see the wonderful end result.
Old 23rd June 2010, 00:31   #13
Senior - BHPian

Ride quality of a gypsy is horrendous, no one dares to sit in my vehicle even though they want to.

How can the gypsy suspension be tweaked with costs not skyrocketting?
CFLs are one option, everyone has a +ve response to the rear CFL.

Apart from that, can the suspension be changed and the ride smoothened.
Old 23rd June 2010, 01:57   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
These sound like an extremely interesting option! How soon do you think we can push them for it? Ofcourse the quanities we are talking about are miniscule, so they'll have to do us a favor more than anything else. Let me know if you need any help from the rest of us.
Sure will do...

On a serious note, why not buy yourself a 540? You gotta sit in mine, its by far the best of what a jeep can give you. BUT, you know Im a car guy and I will go to any extent make it even more smoother, quieter...hence the air bellows
Old 23rd June 2010, 08:07   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
I would not risk that

I have driven many jeeps, they are good when they are retained BONE stock.

Probably yours is a bit different due to useage and age, i understood what you meant by this thread.

Restore it as per the stock specifications, you will see the wonderful end result.
Just want to explore options. If there are better products for the same application, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Ride quality of a gypsy is horrendous, no one dares to sit in my vehicle even though they want to.

How can the gypsy suspension be tweaked with costs not skyrocketting?
CFLs are one option, everyone has a +ve response to the rear CFL.

Apart from that, can the suspension be changed and the ride smoothened.
Maybe some of the gypsy guys can answer. Where's headers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Sure will do...

On a serious note, why not buy yourself a 540? You gotta sit in mine, its by far the best of what a jeep can give you. BUT, you know Im a car guy and I will go to any extent make it even more smoother, quieter...hence the air bellows
Nothing, absolutely nothing can match up to a short wheel base my friend :-)

And I have sat in and driven your jeep in an OTR approximately 5 years back

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks