Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2022, 21:59   #46
BANNED

Re: Fitting the Jerry Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chhanda Das View Post
2) The primary advantage of the newer American designed fuel jerry cans is that these are easier to use since they can be made of either steel or plastic and have a venting mechanism on the cap.

The prices of jerry cans on websites like Amazon, Flipkart, etc are exorbitant. After much brainstorming and weighing the pros and cons, I got a 20 litre steel (built as per UN regulations with properly embossed markings) jerry can with a German-designed cap and spout for my petrol Creta for INR 1500 from a local shop here in Kolkata (earlier known as Calcutta. Full circle ?) Coincidentally, this is the exact same design as the 20 litre jerry cans used by various agencies under the Government of India and other private agencies to deliver fuel as a part of the doorstep fuel delivery initiative. I intend to keep this tied to the back of the front passenger seat of my 1st generation Hyundai Creta. Here are a few pictures :-
What is the American design exactly besides the pressure release safety mechanism in the lid?

The green ones you got for 1.5k are the ones I got in a hurry for my upcoming Ladhak trip. They go by the name "Fuelmate". But I paid almost 2.4k!!

Will be fabricating a mount/holder for them next week.

One issue I have is that mouth of both the cans and likely the whole interior is coated in a layer of dust. How do I clean them out without wasting a few liters of petrol? I also need to test for leaks so intend to fill 5ltrs and slosh them around and hold them at various angles to see if any corner is leaky.

Thanks
Ragul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 23:03   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
What is the American design exactly besides the pressure release safety mechanism in the lid?
Apart from the pressure release valve, the American design also incorporates the use of baffles inside the container to prevent the fuel from sloshing around and generating fuel vapour pressure. These baffles can be seen from the outside usually in a ladder-like design in case of the plastic/fibre containers. In the case of metal jerry cans, the American ones usually have internal fixed fin/flap-like structures. This was usually seen in the ones originally made by the Wavian company earlier for the US Army. I do not know whether they still use that design or not.

Quote:
But I paid almost 2.4k!!
Sadly, prices of almost everything have increased exorbitantly in recent times.

Quote:
One issue I have is that mouth of both the cans and likely the whole interior is coated in a layer of dust. How do I clean them out without wasting a few liters of petrol? I also need to test for leaks so intend to fill 5ltrs and slosh them around and hold them at various angles to see if any corner is leaky.
I had faced the same issue but we filled the jerry can up to the neck with water while taking special care to eliminate all air pockets and bubbles. Then we kept it in the Sun for a week. The hot water helped to loosen all dirt/dust and we were able to check for leakages too at the same time. Then we drained the water and then gave it a wash with surf water. Finally, we rinsed the surf water thoroughly and kept the jerry can upside down with the cap open under the Sun again for another week. Problem solved
Chhanda Das is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2023, 20:04   #48
BHPian

Hi experts and team mates, hearing several horror stories of leaky metal jerry cans and seeing the exorbitant prices of plastic jerry cans dedicated to carry fuel, I ended up buying two Australian made water jerry cans of the brand Pro Quip, for carrying fuel to the mountains on my motorcycle.

Fitting the Jerry Can-a5642091.jpg

They are of good build quality, BPA free and the like.

So there are some doubts regarding the product

1. Being a watery jerry can, can I use this to store petrol ? ( I intend to store only 8 litres of petrol in this 10 litre can)

2. Should it be grounded in any way for avoiding static electricity ?

Any other tips regarding safety while handling fuel in jerry cans is welcome.

regards Arun
Old 11th July 2023, 14:26   #49
BHPian

https://www.cnbc.com/2013/12/04/warn...explosion.html

https://hfmlegal.com/the-danger-of-p...ne-containers/

https://alabamatortlaw.com/alabama-c...as-containers/

The more I read about the static electricity factor that comes to play while storing fuel in jerry cans, the more I understood my stupidity in choosing a plastic water can for storing fuel for my ride to the mountains, where humidity is very low.

So exchanged the plastic cans for dedicated metal jerry cans which can be bonded and grounded.

regards Arun
adrian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2023, 10:51   #50
Senior - BHPian

You can also try stainless steel cans, available for industriual use. Or if you know a fabricator just get it fabricated. I know it may be a bit strange, but here in India many fabricators weld stainless steel so making a can is easy for them.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2023, 11:00   #51
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
You can also try stainless steel cans, available for industriual use. Or if you know a fabricator just get it fabricated. I know it may be a bit strange, but here in India many fabricators weld stainless steel so making a can is easy for them.
It would be better to buy a reputed brand of jerry can from acknowledged overlanding and off road suppliers.
One really shouldnt trust a liquid like petrol to a jerry built jerry welded local craftsman’s effort.
At least, I would hesitate to do so.

There are so many good products available now in India. Better to pay the price for proven quality and warranty.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2024, 11:41   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post

History lesson: The term "Jerry" is the British slang term for Germans.

That history lesson as video here:
It is easy to underestimate how design engineering played a huge part in logistics / supply lines.. which is a major deciding factor in war.

* Would be nice to know where it is available to buy online now, at reasonable price, quality.

Last edited by ChristComesSoon : 12th February 2024 at 11:44.
ChristComesSoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2024, 13:13   #53
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristComesSoon View Post
That history lesson as video here:
It is easy to underestimate how design engineering played a huge part in logistics / supply lines.. which is a major deciding factor in war.

* Would be nice to know where it is available to buy online now, at reasonable price, quality.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=XwUkbGHFAhs
I have bought this 5 litre Jerry can and mounted it on the inside tailgate of my Thar. This is purely for emergencies. It is always empty and will be filled only if I am sure Im going somewhere where I will have challenges in easily finding petrol.
It is of good quality and available at Rs 1799 on Amazon. Comes with its own nozzle and filler tube.
Similar ones are available in UAE at Carrefour in the car accessories section and at ACE Hardware too and cost about 45 AED to around 100 AED. I have seen a number of Jeeps and off road vehicles fitted with these but of a bigger size.
Attached Thumbnails
Fitting the Jerry Can-img_4292.jpeg  

Fitting the Jerry Can-img_4944.jpeg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 12th February 2024 at 13:15.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks