Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2011, 07:47   #46
BHPian

Re: Finally got a jeep, MM international

@jeepster
No its not a crack in chassis ,I was also taken aback when i saw the pictures first myself,but later when I saw it from close quarters I realized its nothing but some paint gone awry
Old 16th August 2011, 22:20   #47
BHPian

Today , i replaced the disfunctional altenator with a brand new one(Lucas-40amp)-Rs3400/
Now the voltmeter of my jeep is showing very good output ,and starter motor has ragained its utility precluding the jump start procedure for good.
Today i also went for overhauling both rear leafsprings wherein
five leaves had to be changed ,costing 2000/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Dear Praveen,
I suggest you to go for DI engine, although derived from B275 aka Inter engine. it is rugged and smooth as compared to B275.worth every penny.
Also you don't have to do any modification for this swap. You can get DI engine in Allahabad for 30-40K.
Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Dear shubhendra ,what procedure of rto verification for swapped engine .
Please tell me,I am having the impression that its very cumbersome process.

Last edited by blueblooded : 16th August 2011 at 22:24.
Old 16th August 2011, 22:31   #48
Senior - BHPian

It is not cumbersome , it's not allowed at all unless it is a same spec, same model engine.
Old 17th August 2011, 09:48   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
It is not cumbersome , it's not allowed at all unless it is a same spec, same model engine.
+1 to Jyobeb: you need to get a bill for engine procured and do RTO formalities. Its not that tough in that part of India
Get hold of a agent, he will do this.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Old 17th August 2011, 15:21   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejeshmp View Post
I think now you got what I told. Rebuilding the CJ500D Engine (B275) is not a good idea. Its not worth the money and time spending on the engine.Try to get Di Engine with 4 speed 4wd Gearbox. If you are in a budget go for the MM540Engine & KMT90 4WD Gearbox. This was the only reason I Sold my CJ500 4WD. (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...rebuild-6.html)

- Sreejesh
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Blueblooded,

The B275 is 38bhp 12Kgm running 4.27 Differential Ratio.

So occasionally you can feel is gasping for breath.

Check the engine for loss of compression before going in for a rebuild or swap.

Post the pics of the chassis where the repair work has been done.

Parts for the B275 are easily available, a common tractor engine.

Regards,

Arka

PS - What gear did you try the incline in?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
What i meant was flush out the engine oil, no need for any additives, just use flushing oil instead. Also there are no 100% theories out there that say that flushing an old engine will degrade the performance. In my petrol CJ3B it made a good difference, ie using fresh oil (couple of frequent oil changes) and an oil pump clean up.
Quote:
Dear Praveen,
I suggest you to go for DI engine, although derived from B275 aka Inter engine. it is rugged and smooth as compared to B275.worth every penny.
Also you don't have to do any modification for this swap. You can get DI engine in Allahabad for 30-40K.
Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Dear shubhendra ,today I came across a 1994 mm540 engine with self starter motor and dynamo for Rs16000/ from a scrap dealer in Varanasi itself.
Moreover he is saying that engine is in very good shape and needs only engine oil change .
The said scrap dealer is prepared to take my international engine and give me the mm 540 engine for just Rs 7000/
Guys I am really drooling over the deal and please tell me that will that engine be able to mate with my current gear box and tranfer case .
I dont know which gear box is currently working in my jeep ,all I know is that its 4+1 gear box ,i.e. 4 forward and one reverse .Please guide in this regards soon.

Jeep gurus,please go through the earlier posts and guide me ASAP
Old 17th August 2011, 15:35   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblooded View Post
Dear shubhendra ,today I came across a 1994 mm540 engine with self starter motor and dynamo for Rs16000/ from a scrap dealer in Varanasi itself.
Moreover he is saying that engine is in very good shape and needs only engine oil change .
The said scrap dealer is prepared to take my international engine and give me the mm 540 engine for just Rs 7000/
Guys I am really drooling over the deal and please tell me that will that engine be able to mate with my current gear box and tranfer case .
I dont know which gear box is currently working in my jeep ,all I know is that its 4+1 gear box ,i.e. 4 forward and one reverse .Please guide in this regards soon.

Jeep gurus,please go through the earlier posts and guide me ASAP
Are you sure about your gearbox ( CJ500 Came with a 3 speed gearbox ,3+1) ? If it is a 4+1 (Hopefully KMT90) then the engine is going to be a direct fit.and the MM540 DP Engine rebuild will cost you something around 30-35K so again be careful on buying the engine or take your mechanic with you and inspect it well.

Last edited by sreejeshmp : 17th August 2011 at 15:56.
Old 17th August 2011, 15:41   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Are you sure about you gearbox ( CJ500 Came with a 3 speed gearbox ,3+1) ? If it is a 4+1 (Hopefully KMT90) then the engine is going to be a direct fit.and the MM540 DP Engine rebuild will cost you something around 30-35K so again be careful on buying the engine or take your mechanic with you and inspect it well.
I am quite sure as I am using the jeep for low intensity offroading for last month or so in the vicinity of Vindhya ranges .
Its really 4+1.
Originally it used to be 3+1 but the my uncle changed it on my insistence.
Yes I talked to my mechanic but he says logically that we can only inspect the engine externally and cant be sure of the internal state
i am prepared to take the plunge .
Moreover I have got perfectly working 4w drive and hence interested in keeping it intact.Will that be feasible with the mm540 XDP.4 engine
Old 17th August 2011, 16:05   #53
BHPian

It is. So go ahead with this Engine XDP & KMT90 4WD Gearbox.There are lots of CJ3Bs are using this combination in kerala they are performing very well too.Best of luck.

- Sreejesh
Old 17th August 2011, 16:25   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is. So go ahead with this Engine XDP & KMT90 4WD Gearbox.There are lots of CJ3Bs are using this combination in kerala they are performing very well too.Best of luck.

- Sreejesh
I believe it should be a direct fit...if mechanic is known to you then you can go ahead.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Old 18th August 2011, 16:43   #55
BHPian

Quote:

- Sreejesh
Quote:
I believe it should be a direct fit...if mechanic is known to you then you can go ahead.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Please comment on cost aspect of the said engine.The scrap dealer is prepared to give it to me for Rs 15000, and thats final .Time and again he is insisting that the engine is in mint condition and would require only engine oil change.
He is ready to start the engine in front of my mechanic tomorrow .
Comments and advice from enlightened souls are welcome
Old 18th August 2011, 16:50   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please comment on cost aspect of the said engine.The scrap dealer is prepared to give it to me for Rs 15000, and thats final .Time and again he is insisting that the engine is in mint condition and would require only engine oil change.
He is ready to start the engine in front of my mechanic tomorrow .
Comments and advice from enlightened souls are welcome
Praveen,
I am not aware of cost breakup of XDP engine works. in north going rate of good XDP engine is anywhere 8 to 18 thousand. Now it's up to your meachanic to start engine and check thoroughly before buying.

Shubhendra
Shubhendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2011, 17:54   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
today I came across a 1994 mm540 engine with self starter motor and dynamo for Rs16000/ from a scrap dealer in Varanasi itself.
in my area its 15K with exchange.

all right if the scrap wala is ready to start the engine then, get your mechanic & start the engine.

your mechanic will be able to tell the condition of the engine.

if mechanic agrees buy it.

a full overhaul will cost round 35K as stated by Shubhendra.

& dont worry about engine number change on RC, its very easy.

rgds,
Nikhil
jeepster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2011, 18:31   #58
Senior - BHPian

Hi Blue blooded,

Please stick to your B275, for the next 6-12months. Untilyou get a hang of the vehicle and develop a better understanding of the mechanical systems, PLEASE DON"T CHANGE ANYTHING.

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2011, 18:40   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Blue blooded,

Please stick to your B275, for the next 6-12months. Untilyou get a hang of the vehicle and develop a better understanding of the mechanical systems, PLEASE DON"T CHANGE ANYTHING.

Regards,

Arka

Dear Arka,
If law of least resistance is to be followed then what you said is best thing for me , well If I dont change anything ,it would save couple of thousand of money,only negative point is that would i be able to get xdp engine in such a good condition once again .
Well,i am going to stick to your dictum for next 6 months or so.
Old 18th August 2011, 21:41   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Blue blooded,

Regards,

Arka
Dear Arka thanks for your judicious reply,neither am i so bent on changing engine to mm 540 or for that matter any other make.
Now given the state of my engine I would have to go for engine rebuild in a years' span and that would entail expending around 20k-25k rupees.
Moreover the rebuilt engine of international would only be slightly better than the current one.
So please tell me why are you dead against changing the engine.
Please elaborate as that could be basis of my final decision
regards
praveen singh

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks