Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2012, 19:29   #286
BHPian

Re: New Fortuner / Pajero versus Used '08 Montero. Which would you pick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
I have run into a dilemma. The dealer that has my booking on the red tells me that the car left the factory yesterday and is expected in about 8 or 9 days.

Another dealer tells me Pajero production was stopped in may and will not r the next 3 weeks. and I am inclined to just go and buy the graphite one that I have found in stock and cancel the booking for the red.

Any thoughts?
If your feedback is contrary to what the booking dealer is asserting, then at best you can politely tell him of your worries and request him to ensure you are not disappointed. If you act tough and he is actually pulling a rabbit out of the hat to meet your requirement, you risk offending him.

So most likely you may need to give him a long rope.
Old 27th May 2012, 21:15   #287
BHPian

He is not doing anything special for me. I booked only after he told mee that that the vehicle was coming in.
Old 28th May 2012, 09:19   #288
Senior - BHPian

Check whether the Graphite Grey is in pristine condition, and has not been used as a test drive vehicle. If it is OK, get it ASAP. What the dealers are saying may be true and finally the Pajero SFX may be going off production, as it can barely compete with others, and the Pajero Sport is more or less replacing it.
Old 28th May 2012, 11:07   #289
BHPian

Now that the pajero sport is here it makes much more sense to customers vs the pajero sfx. Much better deal in my opinion.

To the OP, I think you should wait and get the pajero sports. Waiting a few months for a much better car is worth it in my opinion. Dont rush and buy the sfx just because of a trip.
Old 28th May 2012, 15:52   #290
BHPian

I went and saw the gray Pajero and decided to buy it. Came to delhi, transfered the money, and now I have to get back to panipat to bring the vehicle here before it goes to chandigarh for registration.

As to the not used for test drives part, the car shows 16km on it. Whether its been driven with the odo disconnected I could not say. The tyres did looked a bit dusty. There was grime on the driver's floor mat, but that could happen just from people always getting in and out of the car. If the car has been driven with the odo disconnected, just my bad luck.

As to the pajero sport, I have no interest in it whatsoever.

I was hesitating because the SFX is dated, has a weak engine, has lower resale, etc etc etc, but I have resolved that I am buying a 4x4 for what it does well, which it does better than anything else I have driven, and that matters more to me than all other considerations. No, I don't know for a fact that it is better than the SFX at that, but I intend to spend this summer in kashmir, himachal and ladakh, not waiting for a Sport to be delivered.

I am quite satisfied with the decision. Whether I will continue to be satisfied remains to be seen.

Last edited by Harbir : 28th May 2012 at 15:54.
Harbir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2012, 16:42   #291
BHPian

Quote:
I was hesitating because the SFX is dated, has a weak engine, has lower resale, etc etc etc, but I have resolved that I am buying a 4x4 for what it does well, which it does better than anything else I have driven, and that matters more to me than all other considerations. No, I don't know for a fact that it is better than the SFX at that, but I intend to spend this summer in kashmir, himachal and ladakh, not waiting for a Sport to be delivered.
Congratulations! The SFX's weak engine is not that much of an issue. If you head out of Delhi, towards the mountains, there's probably not more than 150 KMs in total where you'd miss the marginally better grunt from a better engine. You'll easily make that up in reliability (long term), stellar ability to handle bad terrain (short & long term). On our highways, it is nearly impossible to cruise along at anything more than 110 consistently, other than on the golden quadrilateral, without significant risk to life and limb to your own and of others on the road.

For your intended application, ability to handle rough terrain and bulletproof reliability trumps being able to do an extra 20 KPH consistently on clear highways. I have been running in my 10-year-old dog of a Gypsy over the past couple of months for a big trip coming up next month and I can keep a steady 90 KPH on it on most highways without much effort. For the reliability it gives me, I'll easily give up being able to do 140 on it. Touring in the mountains is a different mindset from tearing down on an expressway. You've probably found the best match possible out there.

If I had the money and the parking space, I'd easily pick the Pajero over anything else. If I see a gray SFX in HP or J&K after the 9th of June, I'll probably wave at you. Meanwhile, good luck and many happy miles on her!

Last edited by codelust : 28th May 2012 at 16:43.
codelust is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2012, 16:53   #292
BHPian

Thank you!

I almost never drive above 90km/h anyway because for me the stress of worrying about being ambushed by a speed enforcement blockade is too irritating for it to be worth my while to go faster than that. The thing can cruise happily at 90 and thats fine.

It WILL be a challenge in uphill overtaking in the mountains, which is about the only place I am likely to want more power, but its ok.

If you're around delhi and/or up for doing trips together, do drop me a PM

Last edited by bblost : 31st May 2012 at 22:49. Reason: Please refer Rule 11. High speed reference removed.
Old 28th May 2012, 17:40   #293
BHPian

Congratulations!

The end of the search. Hopefully you will be more than satisfied with your choice and enjoy many many safe miles with your choice.
Old 28th May 2012, 17:43   #294
Senior - BHPian

with impending exicse surcharge on diesel vehicles, pick any red, green, blue, grey right away. Later on one can always repaint the bonnet or any other part to one's satisfaction.
Old 28th May 2012, 19:06   #295
Senior - BHPian

Harbir, so finally it is the mighty Pajero :-) Nice, just one advise - though uncalled for. Take the vehicle straight to a tyre dealer & change to Yokohama Geolanders 31-10.5-15, you will be truly delighted with the change

Just read your above post about the challenge of overtaking, believe me you will have no issues there, I had none, hence a qualified statement

Happy driving :-)

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 28th May 2012 at 19:10.
Ricky_63 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2012, 19:39   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Harbir, so finally it is the mighty Pajero :-) Nice, just one advise - though uncalled for. Take the vehicle straight to a tyre dealer & change to Yokohama Geolanders 31-10.5-15, you will be truly delighted with the change

Just read your above post about the challenge of overtaking, believe me you will have no issues there, I had none, hence a qualified statement

Happy driving :-)
Hi Ricky_63,

Where are you getting the 31x10.5x15 tyres? I have looked high n low in Delhi/ Pune/ Bangalore and no dealer has them due to the ISI issue. I would assume only grey market imports are available!!

Cheers
Old 28th May 2012, 19:46   #297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianrunner View Post
Hi Ricky_63,

Where are you getting the 31x10.5x15 tyres? I have looked high n low in Delhi/ Pune/ Bangalore and no dealer has them due to the ISI issue. I would assume only grey market imports are available!!

Cheers

I do not think that would be a problem. Last I found out they were very much available. Did you try all the places ? Importers etc. Check out with Zac in Bangalore - he may be able to help you source them. Do you want MT's or AT's ? There are a lot of MT's available as of now, I did see some AT Geolanders available in Bombay. If you want I can put you on to the gent.

Cheers
Old 28th May 2012, 19:52   #298
BHPian

Zac has MTs available while I am looking at ATs. When I spoke with one of the larger dealers in Pune he mentioned that there should be some easing of tyres in June/ July time frame so I can check them out when I leave for my pilgrimage to Ladakh in a month or so as I am not comfortable with grey imports. Nonetheless can you PM me the contact details of the person in Mumbai. thanks

cheers
Old 28th May 2012, 19:52   #299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you!

I almost never drive above 90km/h anyway because for me the stress of worrying about being ambushed by a speed enforcement blockade is too irritating for it to be worth my while to go faster than that. The thing can cruise happily at 90 and thats fine.

It WILL be a challenge in uphill overtaking in the mountains, which is about the only place I am likely to want more power, but its ok.

If you're around delhi and/or up for doing trips together, do drop me a PM
Even I rarely travel more than 90 because of the speed cops.

Regarding overtaking on hills you will be surprised how easy it is. Please note that most of the so called high HP, high Torque CRDI engines develop that at high speed. Come low speed of the hills and the Pajero has ample of torque to overtake most of the vehicle traveling. In fact as many have commented, with its superb suspension, you will be traveling much faster on bad roads than most of the competition. And of course that low end grunt is god sent in mud and slush.

Another plus point with Pajero is its relatively narrow track. This means that you will be able to squeeze through where a wider vehicle will have problems.

Wish you best of luck, and do keep posting travelogue as you traverse the Himalayas.

Last edited by bblost : 31st May 2012 at 22:50. Reason: High speed reference in quoted post has been removed. Thanks.
Old 28th May 2012, 22:36   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianrunner View Post
Zac has MTs available while I am looking at ATs. When I spoke with one of the larger dealers in Pune he mentioned that there should be some easing of tyres in June/ July time frame so I can check them out when I leave for my pilgrimage to Ladakh in a month or so as I am not comfortable with grey imports. Nonetheless can you PM me the contact details of the person in Mumbai. thanks

cheers
I got new Yoko 210 ATs for my Gypsy recently from BK Tyres in Lajpat Nagar, Delhi. I did spot the 31x10 AT Yokos with them in the shop then. You could probably check with them.

Last edited by codelust : 28th May 2012 at 22:42.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks