Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2011, 21:16   #196
Team-BHP Support

Re: New Fortuner / Pajero versus Used '08 Montero. Which would you pick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Soft-roader, with no 4L transfer case.
Whoops, forgot about the 4L.
Old 19th August 2011, 21:19   #197
Senior - BHPian

A Touareg I recently drove with some 30k on the odo was going for 35L. Mint condition. And as Akshay said the XC90 is brilliant, but you will hardly find any in the after market.

Both are great but I do not know if they are as good as the Pajero for mountain goat duty !

Cheers
Old 22nd August 2011, 14:02   #198
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
Thank you and I appreciate your interest!
How much are they asking for the other Touareg?
The review of the Touareg is here.
Old 23rd August 2011, 09:22   #199
Senior - BHPian

For those who dislike the two tone colour scheme, the Pajero is now available in "Pearl White", as per advertisement in today's papers.
Old 23rd August 2011, 11:55   #200
BHPian

i've seen that at the dealer. to me it looked very good. My dad commented that it looked like a long distance taxi of the sumo/tavera type.

there has been a twist in the aquisition process. My dad is thinking of buying a used W220 S class and a Pajero (and all other 4x4 contenders will be out). So we are looking at the viability of buying an S class ( I am warning him about reliability and maintenance expense), which will then determine whether its going to be a Montero or a Pajero

Last edited by Harbir : 23rd August 2011 at 11:56.
Old 23rd August 2011, 12:20   #201
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
that it looked like a long distance taxi of the sumo/tavera type
he is absolutely right - in fact HM shifted to two Tone scheme couple of Years back to ensure these products do stand differently , for a change they should have launched something similar to what they sell in overseas - two tone paint with different shade on roof

so you are buying a new pajero or the old one ? given the fact that you will never be happy in the new one why do you want to waste couple of lac in depreciation ?
Old 23rd August 2011, 14:37   #202
BHPian

why wouldn't we be happy in a new pajero?

if my dad buys an S class, the pajero will be new in order to get a new vehicle that excels at off roading.

Last edited by Harbir : 23rd August 2011 at 14:40.
Old 23rd August 2011, 16:35   #203
Senior - BHPian

Is the single paint scheme limited to Pearl White ?? I think the Granite Grey (that I have) would also look nicer in a single color rather than the clownish Grey & Pearl White !!

Interesting twist an S Class & a Pajero ?? Wow 2 very different animals for 2 very different applications !!

Way to go !!

Cheers
Old 23rd August 2011, 18:36   #204
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Is the single paint scheme limited to Pearl White ??
Yes, it is only available in white. I checked this with the dealer when I took a test drive 2 days ago with Excel Motors.
Old 23rd August 2011, 18:51   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Interesting twist an S Class & a Pajero ?? Wow 2 very different animals for 2 very different applications !!

Way to go !!
well, thats under discussion at present, not decided yet. I am skeptical of S class reliability and maintenance costs, and wondering how we would find an S Class expert who could give us a clean bill of health on a particular vehicle (including issues like potential roll back of odo, etc)

lets see how this goes.
Old 23rd August 2011, 19:55   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
well, thats under discussion at present, not decided yet. I am skeptical of S class reliability and maintenance costs, and wondering how we would find an S Class expert who could give us a clean bill of health on a particular vehicle (including issues like potential roll back of odo, etc)

lets see how this goes.

We have a S 320 in the family..rides nice but maintainence leaves you with that expression each time it goes to the garage.

Of course I am no expert nor have i ridden that car much but know it for a fact

Cheers
Old 23rd August 2011, 19:58   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Yes, it is only available in white. I checked this with the dealer when I took a test drive 2 days ago with Excel Motors.

Are you still driving your Scorpio ?? I see that you seem to have driven & have a fair idea / opinion on most cars / SUV's but you seldom "buy" any - may I ask why ? As I remember your Scorpio has done a fair amount of mileage & you were looking for a change a year or more back !!

Cheers
Old 23rd August 2011, 20:18   #208
BANNED

Quote:
Are you still driving your Scorpio ??
Yes, I m still driving Hariya and am completely satisfied with him but for one area. Middle row space. However, it is nothing that worries me at the moment. In fact, even on the Pajero I test drove, I was not at all comfortable with 3 adults in the middle row due to:
1. The seats are too hard for my liking.
2. The seat design is such that 3 people cannot sit abreast comfortably. It is kind of narrow for my liking. Also, the ends of the seat hurt my back when I was at the middle and the last places.
3. The armrests cum cup holders that are on the sides do not tilt to a comfortable angle when I recline the middle row. For my shoulder to have a comfortable angle, I either need to sit pretty straight or rest my arm on the door pad.
Quote:
I see that you seem to have driven & have a fair idea / opinion on most cars / SUV's
Thank you for your compliment. Well, I try to take in as much knowledge about cars and SUVs because I m passionate about them. It is one of the very few interests that I have and areas of knowledge that I can claim having and hence I try to learn as much as I can.
Quote:
but you seldom "buy" any - may I ask why ?As I remember your Scorpio has done a fair amount of mileage & you were looking for a change a year or more back !!
Cheers
Well, Hariya is still young, very young. He's just done about 50k due to my constant project travel and hence is still a teenager.

Even if I were to change/upgrade, though there is absolutely no chance of that till Hariya crosses 250,000kms, I fail to see an alternative that suits me to a T in the current market across segments and manufacturers.
Old 23rd August 2011, 20:34   #209
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
why wouldn't we be happy in a new pajero?
you should read all posts that you wrote here ! what i am trying to convey is that the new pajero will never give you " wow " feeling so why not buy a good second hand - if you are OK with old Montero than mechanically old Pajero will be even better option unless you have some image - consciousness which i doubt , so after couple of months if the old pajero does serve your purpose & meets your requirements there is no harm in selling it and buying a new one in case you find any issues specific to the old car - you wont have to bear much loss . Now think if you indeed buy a New Pajero - you will need to get it registered - pay all taxes , insurance and then say after 2 months you are not satisfied you will have huge depreciation . These cars depreciate much quickly in early years here - so a One Year old pajero you will lose not less than 5-7 lac . If you are still in Delhi have a TD of Ricky's pajero - I am very sure you will be able to pick this .
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2011, 22:01   #210
BHPian

i have the wow feeling from the pajero already. the only reservation is that its a bit of an old jeep instead of a luxury car and my dad has a desire for that as well. the thinking was that a montero will give us both a comfortable on road experience and will be reliable and very competent vehicle off road.

but if we have an S class (which I am very scared off on reliability and expense), then there is no question of buying anything but a new Pajero because then my dad's hopes for a comfortable on road car will be take care of, and we'll be free to buy the absolute best expedition vehicle around (superb off road, durable and reliable as stonehenge)

Sure, we could buy a used one and save a chunk of money, and I will give some thought to how much a 1 year old costs vs a brand new one after all costs are taken into account, but my preference for a serious expedition vehicle is for a new one whose history is known to me in every detail.

We'll see. Its all in the air. tomorrow I will have my dad drive the montero and the S class that I test drove recently along with a new Pajero and we'll see how he feels about each of them.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks