Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2011, 01:04   #1
BHPian

New Fortuner / Pajero versus Used '08 Montero. Which would you pick?

Mods please move as appropriate.

I am going to be looking for used Monteros for my dad. the vehicle will be used for highway cruising in the plains, mountain driving on tarmac roads in kashmir and ladakh, completely rocky or desert trails in kashmir, and every sort of terrain likely to be encountered in ladakh, plus local running where ever my dad happens to be.

we've only been looking at used monteros in the 20 to 22 lac range, around 40,000km.

but now I am not sure if it wouldn't be better to buy a brand new pajero or montero for the same eprice.

what your thoughts?
Old 28th July 2011, 01:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: New Fortuner or pajero vs used '08 Montero, same price, which will you pick?

a new Fortuner any day over the other two.

Pajero is more than 15 year old vehicle.

Montero is expensive to maintain and doesnt sell much in numbers, hardly any resale!

TFort the best buy among the above three.
Old 28th July 2011, 05:44   #3
BHPian

Re: New Fortuner or pajero vs used '08 Montero, same price, which will you pick?

Does the fortuner ride and handle better than the Montero?

edit: I can feel comparative test drives coming up!

Last edited by Harbir : 28th July 2011 at 06:04.
Old 28th July 2011, 07:48   #4
Senior - BHPian

I would throw the Pajero out of the equation just because of the engine. Between the TFort and Montero, Montero will have much better equipment levels. Even though a new car is a new car any day, I would take the Montero!
Old 28th July 2011, 09:16   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
...the vehicle will be used for highway cruising in the plains, mountain driving on tarmac roads in kashmir and ladakh, completely rocky or desert trails in kashmir, and every sort of terrain likely to be encountered in ladakh...
Reliability would be the #1 requirement for the vehicle you plan to buy. You don't really want to break down in Ladakh with a Montero, with no hope of repairs or spares. What better than a Toyota for such purposes?
Old 28th July 2011, 09:30   #6
Senior - BHPian

One of the reasons that i would like to buy an SUV is to take it to places where a sedan would have tough time to go. Most of these places would have limited service network. If you plan to take the Mitsubishi to such places then the chances of getting things fixed (if they break down) would be impossible as almost non-existent network of Mitsubishi service centers.

With that aspect in mind i would recommend a Toyota over Mitsubishi any day.

The other factors that could impact your decision would be cost of repairs, and if you are planning to drive the car mostly in the city or close to the city then Montero would serve you well and would be more comfortable as it is from a segment higher (This i am assuming, as i haven't driven a Montero).

PS: I have driven a Fortuner multiple times and have been on the middle row on a longish drive. I don't had any problems with the so-called bumpy ride and was fine with the comfort and ride provided by the T-Fort.
Old 28th July 2011, 09:31   #7
Senior - BHPian

Exactly my dilemma when I wanted a change! I had booked a Fortuner and was among the first in the country to take a test drive. My options were between a Pajero, Captiva, Fortuner and a used Montero and after examining my requirements and driving style, I choose to go for a Montero.
Now, 2 years later if you ask my if I made the right choice, I would emphatically say yes.
The Captiva cannot take abuse and the engine life is suspect.
The Pajero while being extremely competent, is just not up there with its low power and archaic interiors.
The Fortuner is still has low equipment and safety feature are still missing. For its size, it has less interior space and its not very comfortable.
The Montero on the other hand has excellent equipment level, great safety feature, is a phenomenal off-roader and parts are available, not that I have had reason to change any OR wait for parts.
My bet is with a used Montero anyday!
jyobeb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2011, 09:31   #8
BHPian

I have no experience of any of the vehicles in question so will not attempt to comment on the relative merits and demerits.

One of the critical factors that should prevail is fallback in case of exigencies. If I recall correctly one member who traveled to Ladakh in his T-Fort said Toyota are planning to establish a presence in the region or already have?. That is one big reassuring factor.

Last edited by RS_DEL : 28th July 2011 at 09:34.
Old 28th July 2011, 10:13   #9
Team-BHP Support

I'm going to have to say the Montero. The Fortuner and the Pajero are overpriced. Also the Fortuner is due for a facelift which will probably improve the interiors, and features.

Depending on how many km the car has done, a used car can be as troublefree as a new car. Also I think the Montero is as capable, if not more than the Fortuner offroad, while providing much more luxury.

Oh yes, and a banging Rockford Fosgate system.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2011, 12:24   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I'm going to have to say the Montero. The Fortuner and the Pajero are overpriced. Also the Fortuner is due for a facelift which will probably improve the interiors, and features.

Depending on how many km the car has done, a used car can be as troublefree as a new car. Also I think the Montero is as capable, if not more than the Fortuner offroad, while providing much more luxury.

Oh yes, and a banging Rockford Fosgate system.
Add to that the much superior Ride and Handling, The Montero is not a Pick-up truck based cut cost SUV like the Fortuner. But finding a low mileage Montero will be a tough task.
Old 28th July 2011, 13:09   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: New Fortuner / Pajero versus Used '08 Montero. Which would you pick?

My preference would be Montero as it is way superior to either in terms of features. However, the biggest draw back like others have pointed out would be the A. S. S from HM. I doubht they carry critical parts in stock and will have to be back ordered.

You get the following safety features in the Montero that you don't get in a Fortuner:

1) Rear Disk Brakes
2) Traction Control
3) Six airbags, including side curtain airbags

Fortuner maybe some what inferior in features but Toyota has great After Sales Service.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2011, 15:17   #12
BHPian

A new Montero costs almost twice as much as a Fortuner. You can certainly expect Montero to be better in terms of luxury/features/comfort.
Old 28th July 2011, 17:11   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post

1) Rear Disk Brakes
2) Traction Control

Fortuner maybe some what inferior in features but Toyota has great After Sales Service.
No doubt the Montero has superior braking than the Fortuner, TCS and ASC are a big plus in adding to safety, and ride comfort is streets ahead of any other SUV in or below its price range save perhaps the Freelander2. But all this can come to nought in Ladakh if a sensor fails, a bearing breaks, an oil seal leaks, a relay short-circuits, the clutch fails or the engine refuses to start. Toyota's reliability and service support would get Harbir and his dad home riding on his own set of wheels, but the Montero cannot even be put on a truck or towed back, it's so big and heavy.
Old 28th July 2011, 17:47   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
My preference would be Montero as it is way superior to either in terms of features. However, the biggest draw back like others have pointed out would be the A. S. S from HM. I doubht they carry critical parts in stock and will have to be back ordered.

You get the following safety features in the Montero that you don't get in a Fortuner:

1) Rear Disk Brakes
2) Traction Control

You also have the option of Automatic.
Old 28th July 2011, 18:07   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
No doubt the Montero has superior braking than the Fortuner, TCS and ASC are a big plus in adding to safety, and ride comfort cannot even be put on a truck or towed back, it's so big and heavy.
Exactly!

The superior vehicle is Montero without a doubt.

However the relatively sparse service network , more advanced technology which can confound the support personnel in non metro locations and the inhospitable terrain which is practically unpopulated where he intends to use the vehicle are also factors that need to be considered as well.

Last edited by RS_DEL : 28th July 2011 at 18:20.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks