Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2011, 22:15   #31
BHPian

Re: New Fortuner / Pajero versus Used '08 Montero. Which would you pick?

i now need test drives. the way I see it so far: pajero - superb for rough surface work, weak engine, poor middle row seat, dated but deservedly legendary credentials Fortuner - will go anywhere a pajero will but not as gracefully. Superb engine, excellent VFM, favored choice of every jerkweed who wants to intimidate other road rusers Montero - superb off road, superb on road, will be used so no privileges of new ownership. automatic option available. test drives will be needed to sort out which one i should pick
Old 29th July 2011, 22:18   #32
Senior - BHPian

If you are looking for AT options
Then the Facelifted Fortuner might just come with one.
Also did you consider the Ford Endeavour? It comes with an AT option too.
Old 29th July 2011, 23:48   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
i now need test drives. the way I see it so far: pajero - superb for rough surface work, weak engine, poor middle row seat, dated but deservedly legendary credentials Fortuner - will go anywhere a pajero will but not as gracefully. Superb engine, excellent VFM, favored choice of every jerkweed who wants to intimidate other road rusers Montero - superb off road, superb on road, will be used so no privileges of new ownership. automatic option available. test drives will be needed to sort out which one i should pick

If as you say lack of local support(as in J&K based ) is not a concern, then without a doubt Montero is the best vehicle out of the lot,obviously subject to a proper specimen being available. I do not know if it is the best choice, but then only you know your criteria best and rest are all commentators.

If there is no immediacy to your purchase decision give it some time , 4 months down the road you are at the end of the calender year and have a higher probability of 2009 face lifted specimens hitting the market. I know the supply is thin as it is and these is no assurance newer models will hit the pre-owned market but the probability increases, as some folks start thinking of changing their rides 2 years down the road.
Old 30th July 2011, 00:30   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

We have 3 Monteros listed in Team-BHP classifieds, all of them from North India and within the budget you specified. Link: http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...bishi/Montero/
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2011, 06:31   #35
BHPian

i have already contacted all 3 sellers. Going to look at the two that are in delhi. the asking price for the third, given that its got 100,000km on it, is absurd.

RS_DEL's idea of waiting a few months for '09s makes me curious. why should the supply of '09s suddenly increase? Do people start dumping these vehicles when the warranty runs out?
Old 30th July 2011, 08:35   #36
BHPian

Quote:
i have already contacted all 3 sellers. Going to look at the two that are in delhi. the asking price for the third, given that its got 100,000km on it, is absurd.

RS_DEL's idea of waiting a few months for '09s makes me curious. why should the supply of '09s suddenly increase? Do people start dumping these vehicles when the warranty runs out?
Not dumping. Just a cycle of the very well heeled getting bored of existing rides and going for new vehicles. Hence the old ones hitting the resale lots.

Edit: There may be other considerations behind this kind of changing, but I have no conclusive knowledge on the basis of which to explain this. However I have seen this happen in the very affluent set.

Last edited by RS_DEL : 30th July 2011 at 08:39.
Old 30th July 2011, 08:40   #37
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Montero used 2008 3.2 any day
unbreakable vehicle - very very tough!
chronic user fatigue these days ensures that there are some superb used vehicles in the marketplace
especially in Delhi and surrounding environs!
at good prices too!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 30th July 2011 at 08:41.
Old 30th July 2011, 09:42   #38
BHPian

Have you thought about the ford Endeavour at all? 156 bhp and 380 nm of torque! When off roading, torque is really important right?

Its also cheaper than the Fortuner with loads more equipment - namely the touch screen display and dvd screen.

Im also getting mine modified by IgNite garage in Chennai. Modifications will include:
- K&N Performance air filter
- Increased Turbo Pressure
- Oil change to synthetic Mobil 1 oil
- Most importantly - Bigger and Badder Off Road Tires! (Apparently these dont affect on road driving much?)

All that for around Rs. 35,000. Good stuff.

Also looking at new shocks and increasing ride height. Apparently the tires i'm getting are going to raise the ride height by an inch themselves so i'll decide if I need more after that.
Old 30th July 2011, 11:43   #39
GTO
Team-BHP Support

- Either of these tough SUVs have a life of 250,000 kms easily, if not 300,000 kms. In terms of reliability, all three will be the equivalent of a Toyota Corolla (well, almost). A Montero with 30,000 - 40,000 kms on the odo has only lived 15 - 20% of its life.

- There is no doubt that the Montero is superior to the Fortuner & Pajero (it's older sibling) in nearly every way. The ride quality is the best (a sore point with the Fortuner), and the handling is safe. With the facelift, Mitsubishi softened the suspension for ride comfort, and the facelift doesn't feel as agile as the older Monteros, yet its still safe and predictable (has more bodyroll though). In terms of interior quality, equipment, comfort and overall build, the Montero blows the 20 lakh SUVs away to smithereens.

- Therefore, the question is : Should you buy a used, supremely reliable 50 lakh SUV at 1/2 the cost, or a brand new 20 lakh SUV? You can't go wrong with either. However, as an informed car enthusiast, you especially should tap the value in pre-owned purchases. Remember, you are getting a vehicle that's used only 15% at 50% of the cost. People who don't know about cars, or can't tell a good example from a defective one, should go for the new. But you are more than capable of zeroing in on a clean Montero, hence my recommendation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
Montero is expensive to maintain and doesnt sell much in numbers, hardly any resale!
If we apply a little thought to it, you will see that the "hardly any resale" part actually works in Harbir's favour as he is buying USED.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Reliability would be the #1 requirement for the vehicle you plan to buy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
But all this can come to nought in Ladakh if a sensor fails, a bearing breaks, an oil seal leaks, a relay short-circuits, the clutch fails or the engine refuses to start.
The Montero is also supremely reliable. Remember, it has successfully proven itself in treacherous conditions worldwide. Second, the Montero isn't a new, unproven platform. The 4th gen (current Pajero i.e. Montero) was NOT all-new as Mitsubishi didn't have the funds for R&D. It's basically a face-lifted, improved version of the 3rd gen that has been around since 12 years now. The Montero is as much of an abuse-friendly work truck as a Toyota.

I would agree with your point if you were talking about an Audi Q7, for instance. No ways for the Montero...it's built as tough as they come.

But yes, if you break things, it won't be as cheap to repair. Plus, the maintenance costs will be much higher as well (it's a 50 lakh rupee CBU after all).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
An old design is at time blessing in disguise.
Refer to 2nd last paragraph of this post; the Montero is indeed an old design.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2011, 12:06   #40
Senior - BHPian

Harbir..i used to offroad with my Fortuner and i can tell u one thing the SUV takes everything with a smile and begs u to throw more at it. I dont mean the garden walks most people call offroading but the serious kinds. The Fortuner has a good ride quality for the smooth roads and equally good for the no road situation too. Spares for the car are easily available and the toyota dealership network is well spread too. A SUV for an allround usage would highly recommend the Fortuner over the Mitsubishi brothers. If Petrol is not an issue then a second hand Prado (indian billing ones). Cheers.
speedy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2011, 13:42   #41
BHPian

Thanks for all the comments. When did the montero get the facelift? Prior to the one that just happened, that is.
Old 30th July 2011, 14:44   #42
Senior - BHPian

GTO's point makes a strong case here.
Even got me extremely tempted.
Want to take a look at the Montero interiors once more.
However one question i have is, will our friend Habir suffer at the time of resale of a Montero.
What i mean to say is. Will the resale of the other two be better when it comes time to sell a few years down the line.

Last edited by mdsaab : 30th July 2011 at 14:47.
Old 30th July 2011, 15:07   #43
BHPian

let us fast forward to 2022. '08 montero with 170,000km or '11 Fortuner with 130,000km. what will their resale values be? If the Fortuner's is higher, how much higher will it need to be to make up for the enhanced capabilities would that have been enjoyed with the montero over the 11 years and 130,000km?

Last edited by Harbir : 30th July 2011 at 15:24.
Old 30th July 2011, 15:44   #44
BHPian

Quote:
I hear you guys about the service network but its not very convincing simply because if my fortuner breakers down in Padum or in turtuk or in chushul or in sarchu, I would just as out of luck with a fortuner as I would with a montero. the only difference would be that I would need to get the fortuner towed only to leh (and hope they had the fortuner parts in stock), or have the montero towed further afield.

both would present me with the same problem and the fortuner is not all that much smaller or lighter to make a difference in towability or haulability.

There is certainly a considerable degree of advantage in having service shops in leh and srinagar so if the vehicle can limp along, you don't have to go as far to get it fixed up, but even in a fortuner you can easily be a two day drive from a service shop.

if either breaks down or suffers a serious failure, the toyota has a small but not devastating advantage. it becomes a devastatinga advantage only if you break down 2 hours out of leh instead of 2 days.
Exactly.
Harbir, with so many comments coming in I cant really add much substance. But having a Toyota [Innova] and a Pajero in Himachal and taking it to sparsely populated places I can safely say that if the car develops a problem you are out of luck mate. You should pick the more reliable vehicle which in this case is difficult to determine as all cars are excellent in that aspect.
Test drive them all. I have a feeling you will end up with a Montero as it goes about its business quite handsomely.

OT: How much does a used Prado go for? That is a real beast.
Old 30th July 2011, 20:31   #45
Senior - BHPian

[quote=GTO;2449537]-
If we apply a little thought to it, you will see that the "hardly any resale" part actually works in Harbir's favour as he is buying USED.
QUOTE]

i guess Harbir IS worried about the re-sale after all!

he is already taking about 2022 and want to compare the re-sale of Montero Vs Fortuner.

ofcourse the Fortuner will get him the higher value compared to the Montero!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed