Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2011, 23:45   #1
BHPian

Finally!! Today I once again am a proud owner of a Mahindra Classic!!

Hello everyone,
As the title of this thread says, I am a proud owner of a Mahindra Classic Again!! Many of you may be aware that I am an Ex-Classic owner and have enjoyed those lovely 5 years with my previous Classic!

A final pic i took of my Classic before i sold it:

Finally!! Today I once again am a proud owner of a Mahindra Classic!!-jeep.jpg

To cut the long story short, My dad gifted me a Mahindra Classic for my 18th Birthday and I spent about 5 years with it until I sold it off a couple of years back as I left my hometown after my graduation just like every son does to set up his life and stand on his own feet. I knew that selling the Classic would make my life hell! And surely, It did! Then for a few months, I was following Tramway, GTO and all the other Classic owners posts in T-bhp and was very very J.... (forgive me guys... normaly human tendancy) and there wasn't a single day i cursed myself for selling my Classic. Hence, tired of everything, i stopped visiting T-bhp or any other site which reminded me of the Classic.

But as people say, no matter how, u get rid of the jeep, u stop yourself from thinking about the jeep, But a true jeeper in you will never die!! And one fine day, i again started searching for a Mahindra Classic as i desperately wanted to own one...again.

I came across many classics from day 1. But as we all know, the prices are way beyond our imaginations! (I am not complaining, as i got better price for my classic when i sold it 3 years back!) I never wanted to pay such a price for it as i had plans of rebuilding my jeep, in my own way. I didnt loose hopes as i knew i would get my Classic when i am destined to. And finally, an old friend yash got me a deal which i feel is even better than i expected to get. Thanks Yash!!

I knew those details which makes a Classic a 'Classic'! Told him to check out those and was convinced its a genuine classic and without any hesitation, went ahead with the deal. But my friend doesnt know much about jeeps, but still, i was lucky that i got an original Classic.

As expected, lots of work are to be done on the vehicle. But considering the price for which i got it, i dont mind doing all that work twice.
But the only sad part in this entire deal was, the jeep has lost its main part of existance! They have removed the 4wd! I dont know why people do such a cruel thing to jeeps. Jeeps are meant for offroading! why make it physically challenged, handicapped?? Thats the only thing which is troubling me now. My friend didnt know about it and hence i wasn't informed.

In the past 2 years, i had kept myself away from all the jeeping activities. Hence i am kinda a bit rusted, when it comes to the matters of re-building the jeep. So today, i dug up all the threads of GTO and Tramway. After going through them, i am much more confident about starting the rebuild soon.
I also request all my fellow jeepers, Classic owners and all the pundits here to help me re-build the jeep and guide me all the way through!
Behram sir, the last time i did such a project, i didnt know anything about you nor about T-bhp and its members. But this time, i am looking forward for all your advices.

I have noticed a few things that have changed since the days i previously owned a classic! The people at Mahindra here, dont give much attention or response to Jeep (Classic) owners. They are more concerned about the Bolero and Scorpio guys. Hence sourcing the parts for my jeep will surely be difficult for me here, this time around. So guys, will need all your help.

This was an introduction to my new project which has taken me back 7-8 years in time when i got my previous classic rebuilt! I am not as good as Tramway or GTO in expressing my mind and thoughts in the form of a thread, but i will try my best to do the max! In the coming days, i will explain the various events that occured from the day I started negotiating this deal a few weeks back until i got the delivery of the jeep last week.

I purchased the jeep from the north (from Punjab). I got it transported to Bangalore through the car carrier service. The delivery was prompt and the entire transportation procedure went through smoothly. I had to deliver my HH Karizma bike to my younger brother who presently studies in Bangalore. Hence i rode to Bangalore and on my way back, i thought of getting my jeep with me.

I reached the outskirts of Bangalore close to nelamangala, and found that my jeep has reached Bangalore safe and sound. Never did i know what was in-stored for me. The jeep was dirty as expected and to my surprise, it refused to start as the battery was conked. There wasn't any kind of help available close by. Somehow found a mechanic and an electrician. They did some circus and got a replacement battery and got the jeep started. It was already late in the evening and i was too tired to stay back and leave the next day. So i made up my mind and started my journey towards Mangalore, without knowing how reliable is the jeep. Everything was going right and i was enjoying my drive on my new Classic. Mid-way to Mangalore, something seemed to be going wrong. The headlight started loosing its effect. It was kind of the battery getting discharged and it didn't seem as if the battery was getting charged when the vehicle was in motion.
To add on to all that, when i reached Hassan, sakleshpur i was welcomed by the lovely weather with dense fog around. It was around 1:30 AM and a dark night. Surely it was a wonderful experience. But the fading headlight and low battery made it equally scary. I was getting close to Shiradi Ghats when the headlights just went off all of a sudden. The engine also seemed to be over heating a bit. But somehow i managed to drive behind a truck driver and i still dont believe how i was able to get through shiradi ghats. Now, a point came where i thought everything would be fine and i will reach home safely. I was around 28kms away from uppinangady, and my jeep suddenly stops in the middle of the road.
The battery was drained and it refused to crank! My nightmares came true.
I was standing there in the middle of the road, on that dark night, with absolutely total darkness around wondering what do i do next??
I somehow pushed my jeep to the side of the road all by myself, to avoid getting hit by any KSRTC volvo bus. I made Some quick decisions and i left my jeep stranded there in between and got a lift to mangalore in a truck. It was a Sunday that day and i knew i wouldn't get any help. As soon as i reached home, i called up the local Mahindra breakdown service team. But there wasnt much help available as expected. Then i went back to the place where was jeep was resting and somehow got some local help and towed the vehicle to a nearby city and the vehcile is presently in a Mahindra Authorised Garage.

Thats the story till now regarding my 1st experience with this jeep. Its totally mixed emotions for me.

Now, after speaking to the service manager at Mahindra, i have found out that the wiring is totally messed up and they adviced me to get the entire circuitry replaced by a new one. My question is,will i get the wiring loop set of a Mahindra Classic? I have read GTO's reply in some thread that, the Mahindra Major's circuitry is a direct fit into the Classic with some minor alterations. He has also specified that its much more reliable and of better quality than what the Classic came with initially. Is it true? Need some confirmation on that.
The problem with guys here at mahindra is, if you specifically ask them for any spare part of a Mahindra Classic, their answer is a NO. They dont even bother giving an alternative solution.
There are lots of signs of Body rust. And the main problem of 4wd missing is a major worry for me at present. I want the experts here to advice on how i proceed with the rebuild step by step. whats are the things that need to be done immediately?? Please help.

Last edited by bdn317 : 9th November 2011 at 23:45.
bdn317 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2011, 00:17   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Finally!! Today I once again am a proud owner of a Mahindra Classic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdn317 View Post
I was standing there in the middle of the road, on that dark night, with absolutely total darkness around wondering what do i do next??
Well, I have been in the exact situation right after the rebuild.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post1989929

Actually, I had a breakdown while driving to Coorg to give it for rebuild. And I had a more serious breakdown when I brought it back from rebuild.

Quote:
There are lots of signs of Body rust. And the main problem of 4wd missing is a major worry for me at present. I want the experts here to advice on how i proceed with the rebuild step by step. whats are the things that need to be done immediately?? Please help.
There is no step-by-step way to rebuild. It all depends on your budget and how much rebuild you want to do.

My rebuild story is here, if you have patience to read it: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post1756920

Also, there are quite a few Mangalore Jeepers, get in contact with them for local garage support. Actually I have had very good support from Karnataka Agencies in Udupi.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2011, 06:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

Oh boy o boy! Welcome back to Classic Jeep arena. I wonder what happen to you as you were in mute for some time. Now I know the answer.

Good start and I remember the wiring issue in my classic on the very first day after my build and my first drive to Chennai. Man, we all in the same boat, but there is nothing that can match our own Jeep building activity. I remind you it is time consuming as well. Avoid any used part on the Jeep wherever it warrants, of course you can go for the front differential housing kid from a Mahindra CJ500 and get the disc kit of MM550 installed if you are missing disc brake and booster in the Classic. Make sure Brakes gets the priority while doing this exercise.

All the very best and looking forward to see your Jeep's pictures.
trammway is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2011, 07:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello everyone,
As the title of this thread says, I am a proud owner of a Mahindra Classic Again!!
bdn317,

Congratulations!

It is an interesting story of lost and found.

Regarding the rebuild/ restoration. It depends on what you plan to spend on it and levels of perfection you want. For spares you should have no problem, you can get the whole harness made in the best quality.

From the beginning the engine, suspension, body, paint and rest of works need to be worked upon by the right persons for your final product to be what you plan.

Post some pics.
Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2011, 09:10   #5
BANNED

Hey your classic was amazing.I wonder, why did you sell this.Its absolutely crazy..Restoration is a saga, do it only if your going to retain the same for min 5 years, else dont do it and honestly speaking , i doubt about you retaining the same.

Any how please ref my thread below for better understanding of the pain & joy.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...storation.html

Last edited by Rajith : 10th November 2011 at 09:13.
Rajith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2011, 09:29   #6
BHPian

Congrats Buddy !

I can feel your joy in your words, i will be glued to this thread to see more updates from you(I am also a Classic maniac he he he..).

Please post some Pictures , every one in this forum is waiting to see your CLASSIC !
crazyjeeperk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2011, 10:19   #7
BHPian

My sentiments exactly
used to own a classic and sold it as my mechanic could not set right the niggles....and my classic became his source of livelihood
regret the decision everyday....thats why i prowl the 4x4 section of the forum daily!
How i wish I'd met Fazal bhai before I sold my classic
Quote " You can take a man out of a Jeep, but
you cant take the JEEP out of a man"
amar
maverick56 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2011, 10:26   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
Oh boy o boy! Welcome back to Classic Jeep arena. I wonder what happen to you as you were in mute for some time. Now I know the answer.

Good start and I remember the wiring issue in my classic on the very first day after my build and my first drive to Chennai. Man, we all in the same boat, but there is nothing that can match our own Jeep building activity. I remind you it is time consuming as well. Avoid any used part on the Jeep wherever it warrants, of course you can go for the front differential housing kid from a Mahindra CJ500 and get the disc kit of MM550 installed if you are missing disc brake and booster in the Classic. Make sure Brakes gets the priority while doing this exercise.

All the very best and looking forward to see your Jeep's pictures.
Thanks Siva. I am looking for a competitive garage to get the Jeep rebuilt. The disk brake unit hasn't been removed. I remember seeing the brake booster in the engine bay. I am planning to visit the garage this week. Will get some pics and post the same here which will give a clear picture on the present state of the vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
bdn317,

Congratulations!

It is an interesting story of lost and found.

Regarding the rebuild/ restoration. It depends on what you plan to spend on it and levels of perfection you want. For spares you should have no problem, you can get the whole harness made in the best quality.

From the beginning the engine, suspension, body, paint and rest of works need to be worked upon by the right persons for your final product to be what you plan.

Post some pics.
Regards,
Thanks fazalaliadil. Of course i have a healthy budget. But the upper limit is not fixed for now. The major problem now, is, the jeep is in a garage which is about 70kms from my hometown. My 1st requirement is to get the Jeep in proper running condition. So that i can take the jeep to the required place of work and get the tinkering work done at a competent garage. I read Samurai's thread and i am thinking of getting the work done at the same garage. Lets see how it goes ahead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
Hey your classic was amazing.I wonder, why did you sell this.Its absolutely crazy..Restoration is a saga, do it only if your going to retain the same for min 5 years, else dont do it and honestly speaking , i doubt about you retaining the same.

Any how please ref my thread below for better understanding of the pain & joy.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...storation.html
Thanks Ranjith. Frankly speaking, i had been to UK for further studies and i never thought i would come back soon and continue my normal life at that point of time. But as you know, our priorities change all of a sudden depending on the circumstances and here i am today, back home, with my family, supporting my dad and now completely in charge of our 75 year old Family Business.
I would not like to comment on how long i will retain the jeep at this point of time, as i am just 26 years of age and am yet to explore different stages of life as and when i face it. But at present, my plan is to retain it as long as i can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Well, I have been in the exact situation right after the rebuild.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post1989929

Actually, I had a breakdown while driving to Coorg to give it for rebuild. And I had a more serious breakdown when I brought it back from rebuild.

There is no step-by-step way to rebuild. It all depends on your budget and how much rebuild you want to do.

My rebuild story is here, if you have patience to read it: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post1756920

Also, there are quite a few Mangalore Jeepers, get in contact with them for local garage support. Actually I have had very good support from Karnataka Agencies in Udupi.
Fantastic rebuild Sharath sir. Now i know what i missed by keeping myself away from Team-bhp in the past 2 years. I definitely want to rebuild my jeep in the best way possible.
I am completely blank as to what budget i must expect to shell out for the rebuild. But if properly guided, i can go over the extent too. You can see the 1st pic which describes the condition of my previous jeep. I can just say, i want to make this jeep even better!
I would like to know more about the garage, where you got your jeep rebuilt. And also if possible, will need your guidance to start of with the work (your presence would be highly appreciated provided you have some free time!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjeeperk View Post
Congrats Buddy !

I can feel your joy in your words, i will be glued to this thread to see more updates from you(I am also a Classic maniac he he he..).

Please post some Pictures , every one in this forum is waiting to see your CLASSIC !
Thanks crazyjeeperk. Pics will be posted within this weekend buddy.
bdn317 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2011, 11:02   #9
BHPian

Now to begin with, I plan to get the jeep running again properly. Its in shut down mode ever since the breakdown incident couple of weeks back.

For that, i need to get a good battery. So, considering all the rebuild plans on the book, is it advisable to go in for the new battery now? Is there any other alternative for me? As a rebuild will require the jeep to be stationary in the garage for months together, please suggest me which battery i must go in for? Any local cheaper battery for time being? or going for the amaron harvest kind of battery a better option??

I plan to get the vehicle serviced and use it for a couple of weeks. Meanwhile, i plan to visit a couple of garages and get their opinion and estimate about the do's and don'ts. I also need to get the gear box checked. I hope it hasn't be replaced. I also need to get a list of spares required for the rebuild and will require my friends here to help me arrange for them.
Old 10th November 2011, 11:43   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now to begin with, I plan to get the jeep running again properly. Its in shut down mode ever since the breakdown incident couple of weeks back.

For that, i need to get a good battery. So, considering all the rebuild plans on the book, is it advisable to go in for the new battery now? Is there any other alternative for me? .
Dear bdn317,
First of all congratulations for getting this rare piece. I also own a Classic (96 Model). IMO you can take any local battery for rent for one month ( in my area you can get the battery on rent). Use vehicle for few weeks to understand more and then go for full strip down restoration.
Please let me know if you need any help for this project.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Shubhendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2011, 11:55   #11
BHPian

Congrats bdn,

wish you all the best for the rebuild. Can we please have some pictures meanwhile ?
mitrajdeep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2011, 12:03   #12
BHPian

Hi..Congrats for becoming the proud owner of Classic,would like to see and hear more..
PATH~FINDER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2011, 13:53   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Dear bdn317,
First of all congratulations for getting this rare piece. I also own a Classic (96 Model). IMO you can take any local battery for rent for one month ( in my area you can get the battery on rent). Use vehicle for few weeks to understand more and then go for full strip down restoration.
Please let me know if you need any help for this project.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Thanks a lot Shubendra sir. Battery on rent?? Never heard of it. Would be really glad to get it. Let me see if any locals can help me with it. As i mentioned earlier, 1st objective is to get the jeep serviced and get it in proper running condition. Cant afford any other breakdown soon.
I will need all the help i can get during this project from all of you here sir. So give me sometime to sort out the initial stages of the build, and then i will start troubling you with all my concerns

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitrajdeep View Post
Congrats bdn,

wish you all the best for the rebuild. Can we please have some pictures meanwhile ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PATH~FINDER View Post
Hi..Congrats for becoming the proud owner of Classic,would like to see and hear more..
Thanks a lot mitrajdeep, PATH~FINDER. The jeep is presently placed in a garage which is quite far away from my hometown. I will be going there this weekend. So hopefully i will be able to post a few 1st pictures of my jeep.

Last edited by bdn317 : 10th November 2011 at 13:54. Reason: correcting a couple of spelling mistakes
Old 10th November 2011, 15:21   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear bdn317 - I have read your PM, of course it is my pleasure to guide you in totality. Please post some detailed pictures so that I can give my comments. there is no need to change the full wiring. Just get the starting and charging circuits done up.

PLEASE - get your Jeep in running condition, use it regularly for some time, get to know it better and then start the restoration process. There are guys out there, a dime a dozen, who are not passionate, they just want to make money out of your predicament. Be careful.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2011, 14:27   #15
BHPian

congrats Bdn317,first of all a hearty congratulations on falling in love once again.
I am going to follow this thread on daily basis and as behram sir had advice first get to know your beast then think of any rebuilding .
regards
praveen singh
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks