Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2011, 09:08   #31
BHPian

Re: My 1986 Range Rover 3.5L V8 Restoration thread

@ Voodoochild - That is not my motorcycle, I will have to ask the owner if its alright with him if I post pictures.

@ bilalsayed - Bilal, thanks for the comments. I chose the white shade because I have always loved that shade on these classics, the blue did look good, but I guess because of the condition we picked her up in, we were sick of the blue shade so we opted for this, personally I wanted a matte red or some sort of matte paintjob, but dad wasn't too fond of it. And please call me Devansh.
Old 28th December 2011, 10:38   #32
BHPian

My friend had planned a restoration on a 1990 Range Rover Overfinch, because of too much work and restoration cost he cancelled the plan. Good to see you go for something very similar
Old 28th December 2011, 13:33   #33
BHPian

your rangie is coming out rather well.
keep it simple and original. they are best this way.
do some very long trials to lonavala and back. 100 percent some issues will pop out, get them sorted then.
As you say, shes been picked up from a VIP, so if in right, shes been sitting there for quite a while.
very important is to change all your suspension and arms bushing asap, i have pm'd you where to get them from.
She being a manual, should have gear box related issues, but id still recommend that after you change the oil, take a long trial and check the oil again for any metal particles.
all the best spawn of satan.
edit: please close all windows and spray the car from outside with high pressure, check for any leakages through the doors and windows. rubbers are probably hard cause shes been standing for too long

Last edited by xtreme power : 28th December 2011 at 13:36.
xtreme power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2012, 11:59   #34
BHPian

@ Mirage - Yes the cost is very high to carry out a full restoration such as this.., more so for an Overfinched RR, these can cost a huge amount and hence a deterrant. Could you PM me your details, i'd like to know more about the Overfinch Rangie.

@ Xtreme Power - Thanks for your PM with all the details, we are changing all the suspension bushings this week. The body rubbers are indeed hard and I need to get a new set, any leads on the same?

I am attaching pictures of the Engine after paint.

Work planned for this week:

1) New belts
2) New hoses
3) Suspension bushings etc.
4) Headliner finishing
5) Centre console finishing
6) Exterior final polish
Attached Thumbnails
My 1986 Range Rover Classic 3.5 V8. EDIT: Lift kit & New tyres added-img00491201201021153.jpg  

My 1986 Range Rover Classic 3.5 V8. EDIT: Lift kit & New tyres added-img00492201201021153.jpg  

My 1986 Range Rover Classic 3.5 V8. EDIT: Lift kit & New tyres added-img00493201201021153.jpg  

spawnofsatan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2012, 22:51   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofsatan View Post
@ Mirage - Yes the cost is very high to carry out a full restoration such as this.., more so for an Overfinched RR, these can cost a huge amount and hence a deterrant. Could you PM me your details, i'd like to know more about the Overfinch Rangie.

@ Xtreme Power - Thanks for your PM with all the details, we are changing all the suspension bushings this week. The body rubbers are indeed hard and I need to get a new set, any leads on the same?

I am attaching pictures of the Engine after paint.

Work planned for this week:

1) New belts
2) New hoses
3) Suspension bushings etc.
4) Headliner finishing
5) Centre console finishing
6) Exterior final polish
Hi mate,

some awesome work you have done there on that restoration!!

for bushes you should try Super-pro from australia, the are simply awesome and they are polyureatheane and it sort of a lifetime product and may be also ironman4x4 from australia for your suspension. they are both available with ruby trades or 6th mile customs in bangalore!

cheers!!
staten1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2012, 21:46   #36
BHPian

So there hasn't been much action on this thread. This is because the interior was getting finished and hence the very few pics. Now after several tries the headliner is now sorted. I am not too hapy with the dashboard though, it looks jaded in comparison to the other stuff, any ideas, suggestion etc?

Today I finally drove the RR for a very short while, this is the first time she has been driven in about 6-7 years (maybe more, not sure). She was running quite rough and PS was hard, however I am not too worried because carb tuning and fluids etc. is pending.

Just an update, I am currently making 30mm wheel spacers from aircraft grade aluminium.

Here is a picture from her maiden drive after resto today:
Attached Thumbnails
My 1986 Range Rover Classic 3.5 V8. EDIT: Lift kit & New tyres added-rangie-trial.jpg  

Last edited by spawnofsatan : 16th January 2012 at 21:47.
spawnofsatan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2012, 15:10   #37
BHPian

So its been a few days since I have posted any updates. I got my hands on a used grill from a late 80's RR, these are the plastic ones that are horizontal. When LR decided to sell RR's in the US they surveyed that Americans would not like to the radiator fans to be visible hence this plastic grill was developed by them for USDM which soon became a standard fitment as a facelift for future models.

We tried fitting the grill but it seems a few modifications on the body need to be made in order to fit these properly, I am posting pics of the rangie with the Vertical grill and in the second and third pic the mechanic is holding up the grill in place so you can get an idea what it will look like when fitted. IMO the plastic grill looks way better. Currently we have put the old grill back till I can figure out exactly how to mount this. Here are some pics with the older model grill and some with the new grill.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1986 Range Rover Classic 3.5 V8. EDIT: Lift kit & New tyres added-img00567201202021217.jpg  

My 1986 Range Rover Classic 3.5 V8. EDIT: Lift kit & New tyres added-grill-2.jpg  

My 1986 Range Rover Classic 3.5 V8. EDIT: Lift kit & New tyres added-img00566201202011350.jpg  

spawnofsatan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2012, 16:22   #38
Senior - BHPian

Awesome!!! Good Job

You really need some good rubber there. upgrade asap.

when am i getting it to see in real? carters?
Old 4th February 2012, 17:39   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdev29 View Post
Awesome!!! Good Job

You really need some good rubber there. upgrade asap.

when am i getting it to see in real? carters?
Yes, these are old tyres that are 225/70/16, one the vehicle is 100% complete I want to out on 275/70/16 AT tyres, spacers already being made.

Once she is 100% roadworthy i'll bring her to carters
Old 8th February 2012, 07:23   #40
Team-BHP Support

Great job with the restoration, and the RR is a timeless classic indeed. I remember travelling in a relative's RR in Dubai as a child.

With regards to the color, as someone has mentioned earlier, the green shade would have been ideal, as is associated with RRs from that age. However, you have mentioned your reason for choosing the white, and that is to be respected.

Do you plan on retaining the original wheels, or would they be swapped later?
Waiting to see the final outcome.
Old 8th February 2012, 10:26   #41
Team-BHP Support

Good job Devansh. Nice to see good old 5973 up and running again. This car, when it came to India, was a real king and the pride and joy of the owner who also had an older red 3 door version. For me, hearing the glorious V8 every morning was an absolute job. When 5973 retired, a black 5 door took its place.
Still, good to see my old favourite in caring hands.
Old 8th February 2012, 11:09   #42
BHPian

Your RR looks amazing. Good job on the restoration !
Is this the FI version of RR or was that 3.9(?)

Looking forwards to the tyre Upgrade
Old 8th February 2012, 19:47   #43
BHPian

@benbsb529 - I personally do not like British Racing Green too much to be honest. This white looks great IMO. I want to retain these original wheels, however I am not too sure how well they will accommodate the 275's, Allan (xtreme power) says these wheels do fine with 275's so hopefully these will stay. In the unlikely event of newer wheels I plan to keep these steel wheels with me.

@Aditya - you will be very happy to know that the black 5 door is also with me. When 5973 is fully ready you're more than welcome to come have a look.

@Mobius - this is the carb version, EFI only came with the 3.9's and up. Tyres coming soon!!!
Old 11th February 2012, 13:02   #44
BHPian

Las week I took her out for a second trial run. When i started driving her for the first time there as barely any power and I thought maybe this was due to the fact that the vehicle was sitting forever. Once we got her out on the road she started sputtering and stopped bang in front of traffic while making a U turn. After some effort she startted back up and was inching forward, but because no one from incoming traffic was willing to stop for me I was stuck there for 10 mins, this was until a nice fellow range rover owner stop for me stopping all traffic behind him!! She then limped ahead to the side of the road. My mechanic then called his men from the garage and they found that fuel flow was highyl restricted. They checked the tank and learned that the fuel pump was clogged (brand new fuel pump). They then connected the engine directly to a "dabba". Once i started her up and accelerated a bit she started running super smooth, i was overjoyed. Once fuel delivery issues were fixed she rums like a dream and the joy that a V8 can provide equals no other joy. I will let the pictures do the talking. This coming week I am planning to take a longer 2 hour or so drive over town to assess any other issues that may crop up. Once that is done then we can finally install the lift kit and larger tyres.

Also attached is a picture of future inspiration.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1986 Range Rover Classic 3.5 V8. EDIT: Lift kit & New tyres added-img00568201202021255.jpg  

My 1986 Range Rover Classic 3.5 V8. EDIT: Lift kit & New tyres added-img00569201202021315.jpg  

My 1986 Range Rover Classic 3.5 V8. EDIT: Lift kit & New tyres added-rangie1.jpg  

spawnofsatan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2012, 16:19   #45
BHPian

re: My 1986 Range Rover Classic 3.5 V8. EDIT: Lift kit & New tyres added

So finally my 2" lift kit came in from britpart. I ordered it through Allan. The kit is of excellent quality and i love the canary yellow shade. I also am installing a Poly Urethane suspension bush kit, this is manufactured by Auto technic. I a going to post the pictures of the lift kit and let them do the talking.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1986 Range Rover Classic 3.5 V8. EDIT: Lift kit & New tyres added-britpart1.jpg  

My 1986 Range Rover Classic 3.5 V8. EDIT: Lift kit & New tyres added-britpart2.jpg  

My 1986 Range Rover Classic 3.5 V8. EDIT: Lift kit & New tyres added-britpart3.jpg  

My 1986 Range Rover Classic 3.5 V8. EDIT: Lift kit & New tyres added-coil1.jpg  

My 1986 Range Rover Classic 3.5 V8. EDIT: Lift kit & New tyres added-coil-2.jpg  

My 1986 Range Rover Classic 3.5 V8. EDIT: Lift kit & New tyres added-kit.jpg  

My 1986 Range Rover Classic 3.5 V8. EDIT: Lift kit & New tyres added-kit-2.jpg  

My 1986 Range Rover Classic 3.5 V8. EDIT: Lift kit & New tyres added-rear-height.jpg  

My 1986 Range Rover Classic 3.5 V8. EDIT: Lift kit & New tyres added-rear.jpg  

My 1986 Range Rover Classic 3.5 V8. EDIT: Lift kit & New tyres added-shicks-2.jpg  

My 1986 Range Rover Classic 3.5 V8. EDIT: Lift kit & New tyres added-shocks1.jpg  

spawnofsatan is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks