Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2012, 18:12   #31
BHPian

Re: Pre-Release Test Ride : New Gurkha 4x4 @ Force Motors Pune

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan View Post
..Driver side leg room is good.

Co-driver side space is a little cramped if you are taller than 5'10".
Thanks for sharing. Great to hear it has more power!
I would have thought it more likely to have legroom the other way around. I can't think why the manufacturer would want to make the co-driver seat travel less? Or is it something else taking up all the legroom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
IMHO, the biggest hindrance in the minds of a customer (in case of a product like Gurkha) is not its specs, but the attitude of the company.

Spike
Absolutely. We got a new Force Gama early this year after a few months wait because we wanted the version with PS and AC.

About 8 months after buying the vehicle, the area sales manager pays us a visit to give a quotation for the enquiry we made a year back. They don't even know the vehicle has already been bought. Which other company/ dealer network can beat the slowness of that sales machinery?

After sales service is a new low altogether. I'd be being very nice in saying its pathetic. It's not tuned towards a typical Gurkha buyer, but rather to that of someone who uses the vehicle for an illegal sand mining operation by night. Moved to an independent mechanic. But then, it hasn't really needed much repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboGuru View Post
, will it still hold good as daily office commute vehicle ?
I end up preferring the Gama over the car in city these days when I'm home. Much more peaceful because ricks and two wheelers keep their distance!
Old 27th December 2012, 18:28   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by topedgemonk View Post
...I can't think why the manufacturer would want to make the co-driver seat travel less? ...
Think big person trying to enter the vehicle to reach the rear seats through the co-driver door, with co-driver seat fully folded forward. Hence, less seat travel on passenger side (usually, in all 3-door vehicles).

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 27th December 2012 at 18:30.
Blue Thunder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2012, 18:59   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

BTW, I have one question - snorkel aids water wading by lifting the air intake. What about exhaust? Why is it left low? Shouldn't it also be raised to make it much more safer?
Old 27th December 2012, 21:04   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
How did you do it sir?
Yes Sir , I would get back to the answer of how we did it using the Bosch reader. No the Old Gurkha does not have the RPM meter ,its an after market fitment. I shall attach interior photos after my sound deadening work is over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
BTW, I have one question - snorkel aids water wading by lifting the air intake. What about exhaust? Why is it left low? Shouldn't it also be raised to make it much more safer?
It's more important to raise the breathers for the diffs and transfer box than to raise the exhaust. The exhaust is under pressure and exhaust will exit OK.
If you do get water in the diffs then it is just a matter of draining and putting new oil in.
Also, the New AND old Gurkha comes with stock wading drain outlets covered with removable rubber plugs installed on the floor
mohan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th December 2012, 10:49   #35
BHPian

Spotted this outside my office.

Driver was talking to someone over phone. Seemed like a breakdown.

Pre-Release Test Ride : New Gurkha 4x4 @ Force Motors Pune-29122012001-copy.jpg
prateek99 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th December 2012, 15:29   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateek99 View Post
Spotted this outside my office.

Driver was talking to someone over phone. Seemed like a breakdown.

Attachment 1032105
Looking at the red TC plate and cables running through the bonnet, it looks like a test prototype.

On a lighter note, it seems even company vehicles suffer from service back up, if something goes wrong.

I would atleast expect the powertrain to be trouble free, considering the engine coming from the famed Mercedes OM XYZ series. Hope they sort all this out.

Spike
Old 31st December 2012, 22:55   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_AmbyMad View Post
I saw one today, in Hyderabad, parked on the side of the road. Black. With some badass tyres and alloys. My heart skipped more than a beat. Was in a tearing hurry as I was late for a meeting or else would have taken some pics. Hope to see it again soon because if you believe in love at first sight, I've found mine!
hi G-ambyMad, i own it now in chandigarh.
Old 2nd January 2013, 10:45   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbug View Post

Jeepbug - can we have some pics, please?
Old 2nd January 2013, 23:53   #39

Looking at the pictures, I feel rather than taking the Gurkha to an exotic location and going trekking there, one can go trekking simply by trying to get into the rear seats!
Old 3rd January 2013, 02:14   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Lord View Post
Looking at the pictures, I feel rather than taking the Gurkha to an exotic location and going trekking there, one can go trekking simply by trying to get into the rear seats!
It's not as big a deal as you seem to think since you perhaps don't fully appreciate the space inside the Gurkha, particularly the width.
The distance between the two front seats is so big that you can practically walk inside rather than needing to flip the co-driver seat for entry and exit.
Even my old parents prefer this.
Old 3rd January 2013, 07:51   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Lord View Post
That is because you are just guessing. The passenger seat folds up neatly to allow middle row passengers to enter. My 60+ aunt gets in and out of middle row of Gurkha quite easily.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2013, 10:57   #42
BHPian

This could be my next vehicle! (maybe two years down the line)

What I really like is that the length of the vehicle is similar to a hatchback. Comparing specs to my palio 1.2, the gurkha is only 3cms longer! (without the spare wheel I guess).

With the spare wheel in the trunk and removing the bull guard, it should be fairly easy to find parking for the Gurkha. This has great potential to be the only car for the family if the niggles with after sales can be dealt with.

btw, just for reference, how hard is the clutch, when compared to indigoCS? I find the indigo clutch to be much harder compared to fiat palio and wagonR.

can the clutch hardness be customized?

Last edited by datvichrox2 : 3rd January 2013 at 11:10. Reason: details
Old 3rd January 2013, 11:54   #43

@Samurai, @roy_libran

I actually was guessing based on the pics . I guess your reply not only clarified it for me but so many others having this doubt.

If Force Motors looked at this thread, they would be pleasantly surprised by the passion for the brand. I guess after sales service and brand image is something they will have to work on big time to get people to consider them seriously - especially in the urban markets.

Another thought is how safe are these UVs?
Old 4th January 2013, 18:57   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbug View Post
Hi I am also in Mohali. if its convenient to you, may I request a drive of your vehicle. I am seriously considering buying a Gurkha and it would help to have driven one first. Thanks. You do not have PM privileges it seems, hence I am posting here.

Vikram.
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2013, 12:09   #45
BHPian

I and others I know have been wanting a no-tar-road tourer, which is super in the city also - since this is going to be priced around the eco-sport, and duster (lower model at least), is of a size that points at efficiency in the city (parking etc.), what does it lack with respect to its competitors -

1) reliability - based on the ownership threads, this vehicle clearly requires you to spend days in sourcing parts, standing at garages, and having headaches. For us deskjob employees, this is risking not having a vehicle for an entire week at times because one does not have the time during the week to do the garage.

It also means reduced peace of mind on long trips. Most jobs do not have the luxury of taking an extra day of leave if things go wrong on a trip - forgetting the perils of being stuck in an untoward place.

2) Safety - this vehicle looks like it has never been crash tested (correct me if I am wrong, but does it have any crumple zones ? ; air bags, abs are other questions). In a vehicle which is capable of 100kmph and above, this means that in a situation, one has to only trust in the seat belts. This used to be fine for me, but now slowly over the years, I am becoming concerned about it.

3) To a lesser extent, creature comforts are still not in place. I am coming from an used Baleno - so I have been wanting to get a high ground clearance vehicle. But I do want to retain some creature comforts still - I read that there are no outlets for the ac vent to the windscreen for defogging. So I want to know if these are correct -
(i) does the wiper have 3-4 intermittent settings,
(ii) is there central locking, or speed sensitive locking,
(iii) one touch power window on the drivers side,
(iv) is there actually a heater in the car (don't know and no one seems to mention it),
(v) Is there an arm rest or a storage box between the front seats,
(vi) does it have an engine immobiliser, or any other theft protection device other than the key (or does it allow it to be fitted from outside),
(vii) sorry for asking this/doubting this, but the indicators are self cancelling right?
(viii) is there provision for speakers in the front door?
(ix) does the fuel filler cap have a remote operated lever?

What I want in terms of a tourer are comforts/basic safety engineering which a Rs. 3-1/2 lakh car offers. and then I want to pay Rs. 5 lakhs more for 4x4 and high ground clearance.

I have only so much money, can mantain only one car, need my job, and need my sanity. Gurkha looks the part, but I don't think it serves what I need. At Rs.8 lakhs plus, it is not possible to pleasure the heart over the head.

Last edited by manolin : 6th January 2013 at 12:11.
manolin is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks