Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2013, 14:57   #61
BHPian

Re: Pre-Release Test Ride : New Gurkha 4x4 @ Force Motors Pune

Dear All,
Any new updates on the launch date ?
Eagerly waiting to do a test drive.
Also, has anybody tried fitting diff locks on the Thar ?
Regards.
Old 29th January 2013, 18:42   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Dr Sahib we are third generation friends almost like brothers. You know I told him one day that I have requested a fellow bhpian for a test drive and he was like ..ohh meinu dassin, I have a doc friend who also has one and we can request him for a proper test drive.

Its great to know you. Do come over, Deepak has gone for his contract and will be back towards March. Ill take your number from him and come and meet you one day.
Hi, Good to know that you are in mohali, you can call me anytime after 1pm 9417157120.
regards
Gurpreet
Old 30th January 2013, 11:03   #63
BHPian

Dear Dr. Mohan,
Can I request you to provide us with a comparison of the New Gurkha with the Thar Crde on all the relevant parameters for an enthusiast offroader.
Thanks.
HarshD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2013, 12:57   #64
BHPian

There seems to be a god news for those aspiring to be owned by the Gurkha.

There is a high probability that it would also come in a soft top version and probably in a 4 door variant too.
A matt "desert storm" color for the soft top variant is also being envisaged apart from other colors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarshD View Post
Dear Dr. Mohan,
Can I request you to provide us with a comparison of the New Gurkha with the Thar Crde on all the relevant parameters for an enthusiast offroader.
Thanks.
Dear HarshD, thats asking for a lot of trouble !!!

Last edited by mohan : 31st January 2013 at 13:00.
mohan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st January 2013, 15:49   #65
BHPian

Dear Dr. Mohan,
I believe we deserve to know a considered opinion from an experienced offroader.
If it means trouble for MnM, all the more better. Maybe they will truly attempt to give the customer his/her money's worth (My experience after test driving the Thar Crde).
In today's day and age the customer should not be expected to carry hammers and screw drivers to fix breakdowns and rattling panels under the guise of Nostalgia and being a true Jeeper.
My family possessed a hurricane in the 80's and I am the owner of a Scorpio Vlx which is run 18000 kms and I am not amused anymore when the cruise control fails to engage / power windows behave eccentrically / the tyre pressure reading valves need adjustment at every servicing.
Maybe what is true of the 'Jeep' experience is also true of the 'Gurkha', service support issues notwithstanding.
Can I request you again to lay out your unbiased opinion for the two products so that the potential buyers can make an informed decision.
Thanks and Regards,
Harshawardhan Deshmukh.
Old 31st January 2013, 18:18   #66
Senior - BHPian

Dear Harsh, the purpose of this thread is not to compare the two vehicles.
Such a thread can independently exist and you can open the same once the vehicle becomes available in the market.
It is too early and all the discussion will be speculative or opinionated.
However, having said that, if you still intend to understand the differences, I urge you to speak to various owners of the two vehicles.
Cheers,
Roy
Old 1st February 2013, 10:17   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Dear Harsh, the purpose of this thread is not to compare the two vehicles.
Such a thread can independently exist and you can open the same once the vehicle becomes available in the market.
It is too early and all the discussion will be speculative or opinionated.
However, having said that, if you still intend to understand the differences, I urge you to speak to various owners of the two vehicles.
Cheers,
Roy
Dear Roy,
I agree that the exclusive purpose of this thread is not comparison however as all discussions branch out in their logical tributaries, such a comparison is not without merit.
I do not agree that Dr. Saab's comparison will be speculative or opinionated since I gather that he has experienced both the vehicles in offroad condition. I have requested that he give his unbiased opinion for the benefit of everyone. True, it will be prima facie but but a considered opinion nontheless.
Also basic capability parameters like chassis and diff locks; comfort and convenience parameters like middle row and a hard top and many other relevant parameters will lend a lot of value to our understanding.
Lastly, I hardly know anybody from the offroading community personally so I am at a loss here.
Regards,
Harsh.
Old 1st February 2013, 11:59   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Lastly, I hardly know anybody from the offroading community personally so I am at a loss here.
If you did, you'll know why veteran offroaders don't like to compare different vehicles online.

Quote:
I do not agree that Dr. Saab's comparison will be speculative or opinionated since I gather that he has experienced both the vehicles in offroad condition. I have requested that he give his unbiased opinion for the benefit of everyone. True, it will be prima facie but but a considered opinion nontheless.
All the popular offroad vehicles have their pros and cons. The Jeep vs Gypsy, Jeep vs Gurkha, Gypsy vs Gurkha, Jeep vs Thar, Gypsy vs Thar, Gurkha vs Thar... discussions can go for pages and pages, and never really end.

The trail, is the best place to witness and understand.

PS: When I say Jeep, I mean the solid axle type. By Thar I mean IFS.

Last edited by Samurai : 1st February 2013 at 12:00.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 12:38   #69
Senior - BHPian

Seconding Samurai's thoughts. At times, some off-roaders have been given monikers like Sreen/Paper warriors. Go, join a few OTR's, and make up your mind as to what you would probably like.
The vehicle, is just an extension of your driving skills, style and needs. It is supposed to complement the same, and not ride over it.
roy_libran is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 13:48   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
If you did, you'll know why veteran offroaders don't like to compare different vehicles online.

All the popular offroad vehicles have their pros and cons. The Jeep vs Gypsy, Jeep vs Gurkha, Gypsy vs Gurkha, Jeep vs Thar, Gypsy vs Thar, Gurkha vs Thar... discussions can go for pages and pages, and never really end.

The trail, is the best place to witness and understand.

PS: When I say Jeep, I mean the solid axle type. By Thar I mean IFS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Seconding Samurai's thoughts. At times, some off-roaders have been given monikers like Sreen/Paper warriors. Go, join a few OTR's, and make up your mind as to what you would probably like.
The vehicle, is just an extension of your driving skills, style and needs. It is supposed to complement the same, and not ride over it.
Gentlemen,
Thank you for the suggestions. I get the drift.
If anything I want to develop and hone my offroading skills and certainly not the qwerty one.
Regards,
Harsh.
Old 3rd February 2013, 17:17   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan View Post
There seems to be a god news for those aspiring to be owned by the Gurkha.

There is a high probability that it would also come in a soft top version and probably in a 4 door variant too.
A matt "desert storm" color for the soft top variant is also being envisaged apart from other colors.

Dear HarshD, thats asking for a lot of trouble !!!
Mohan, any news on the suspension? Do we get the same old stiff front shock absorber or coils? The rear leaf was very hard in the older version, i hope they looked into the suspension?
Old 6th February 2013, 23:05   #72
AVR
BHPian

Just read on fb that autocar has given 16th Feb as launch date for this. Looking forward to what cards Force has in store!
Old 7th February 2013, 15:08   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster_BHP View Post
Mohan, any news on the suspension? Do we get the same old stiff front shock absorber or coils? The rear leaf was very hard in the older version, i hope they looked into the suspension?

The suspension setup is a new one as also the entire drive-line.
The car seemed to have better suspension than the once we are used to drive.
Old 7th February 2013, 18:45   #74
BHPian

autocarindia had tweeted a 16th Feb release. Today they have tweeted a correction as 15th February. However they are saying that it will be launched with a BS 3 engine. That would make it impossible to buy and register in metros. However if they stick to the launch date we will know very soon.
Old 8th February 2013, 09:49   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhatshah View Post
autocarindia had tweeted a 16th Feb release. Today they have tweeted a correction as 15th February. However they are saying that it will be launched with a BS 3 engine. That would make it impossible to buy and register in metros. However if they stick to the launch date we will know very soon.
A BSIII engine only ! Lets hope that they launch BSIV also. Dr. Mohan had mention EGR valve and recirculation. Thought that was to adapt it to BS IV markets. If not, it is time to start calling friends who do not live in metros and start reminding them of favors due !
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks