Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2013, 11:43   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rainmaker acquires a 1996 Mahindra Classic with Spoke Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAINMAKER View Post
Question for all the purists..Some mods - to do or not to do.

1) Semi Floating Rear - Keep it stock or switch to Full Floating ?
2) LSD for the rear
3) Overdrive
Vivek Ji,
I never broke rear differential in last 15 years. did exterme offroading, trail driving, expedition. periodic maintenenance will minimize this possibility.
2) LSD for the rear
Even i am contemplating but you need to change differential (you might opt for FFRA with LSD)
3) Overdrive
If you don't want to take your jeep for long drives, current setup is just fine
Old 7th January 2013, 11:56   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Read siva's thread about overdrive. He went through a lot. Avoidable.

Vivek, i'll get back to you by thursday about the items on the list.
Old 7th January 2013, 11:57   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Vivek - I am very happy to see that you have bought a very good CL340 classic. First things first, and this information nobody else can give you:

1. Introduction of the vehicle - this vehicle is the domestic version of the Great Britain Export model CL340DP Classic. The original export BOM (Bill of Material) code for this vehicle was JP441J24R. J = CJ / P = XDP4.90 / 4 = 4 speed transmission / 4 = 4WD / 1 = 80" wheelbase / repeat J = Export Derived / 24 = Export Code / R = RHD. This code was generated by my colleague Aziz Somani who still works in IDAM Center, Kandivli.

2. Introduction of two mentors of this vehicle, my role models - Mr.Vijay Dandge, a Product Engineer par excellence and Mr.Murlidhar Garware - ditto. You and I owe the existence of JP441J24R to these two gentlemen.

3. What all is not correct as I see the photographs - snorkel must be removed and the original air intake restored on the air cleaner. This nonsense may have ruined the cylinder head. If required, please make a good snorkel, air pressure drop across the air cleander must not exceed 30mm of water column / grease nipple missing at pitman arm / steering stabilizer is not original, some nonsense is fitted, please get rid of it immediately / radiator overflow tank is not original, please get rid of it immediately / pintle hook is not as supplied to army but domestic CL340 classic never had pintle hook as OE fitment / long rubber boot on transfer case lever is not original / light on instrument panel is not original / front LH seat backrest adjuster cover is missing / wheelcaps are missing / horn fitment outside the grille is not original / 4 round rubbers below tailgate are not original / box on fender is not original / jerry can at side is not original / soft top is not original / earth cable fixing on manifold is not original, it should be on the chassis below the battery / aluminium superstructure is fitted the wrong way, the hoop must be at the back.

4. What is original - stainless steel bull bar. I had designed and developed this part with a vendor in Kandivli (W) in 1995 for Lebanon Export CL340 LHD, adapted for domestic also. The distance between the two inner mountings is 15 1/8" and the distance between the two outer mountings is 41 5/8" which are original CJ3B bumper reference dimensions. It is attached to the chassis by 4 nos M10*1.25 size bolts. The welding was a challenge, it is SS Argon Arc which is a very costly process. Each bar was machine buffed before sending to the plant / front hook with spring is same as England Export / Vacuum pump on intake manifold is same as England Export / Ignition switch is Sipea Antiforto, same as England Export / rear seat is derived from Lebanon export CJ340 LHD vehicle adapted for domestic with folding backrest / rollover bar is same as England Export including cover, it was made in Nasik / front seats are same as Europe Export / Instrument panel is same as England Export / ORVM supports are same as England Export derived from CJ5, with RH mirror above LH mirror, the mirrors themselves are from the Tata 407.

Essentially, the complete vehicle is JP441J24R minus all Europe Regulation "e" mark parts.

Whew! Enjoy it and please don't ever sell it! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 7th January 2013 at 11:58. Reason: add info
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 7th January 2013, 12:02   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

It's amazing how you remember all minute details BD. Hat's off.

Your advice was immensely helpful when i had my classic.

Do read that thread vivek:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ow-offing.html
Old 7th January 2013, 12:24   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Is it reliable, that is the question. For me that is a big thing.

Quote:
2) LSD for the rear
I don't like LSD because it is a compromise on road and offroad. Go for manual diff locks. You can unlock for road, and lock on trail only when needed. I think Lambda is developing manual diff locks for Jeeps, they already have one for Gypsy.

Quote:
3) Overdrive
I have survived on 5.38 for so many years, you can easily survive on 4.88 ratio. I say no.
Old 7th January 2013, 12:27   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Vivek - I am very happy to see that you have bought a very good CL340 classic. First things first, and this information nobody else can give you:

Essentially, the complete vehicle is JP441J24R minus all Europe Regulation "e" mark parts.

Whew! Enjoy it and please don't ever sell it! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Behram Sir,

Thankyou. Thats a lof of information.. Really amazing memory !!! or guess its passion which makes you recall everything.. Will work on the items one by one.. And Yes, will not sell this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Tejas,
Yes, I have been going thru all Classic related threads ever since I got mine.. Will wait for your reply on the list, like I said no rush. Thanks.
Old 7th January 2013, 13:22   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Question for all the purists..Some mods - to do or not to do.

2) LSD for the rear
3) Overdrive
1) You wont get a 1 piece FFRA for the 48" track, are you Ok with the axle+flange combo? If Ok - I will walk you thru my FFRA experience, both the failed 6-bolt hub and the 8-bolt hub with dowel pins (more fail safe ones). - BUT - why do you want FFRA? I wanted as a redundant measure for Locker-failure situation, not for SFRA breaking fear, I never doubted the SFRA.

2) LSD, nay - Locker (manual or auto) BIG OK!!

3) OD... can you compensate with taller tyres but on 15" rims? You get lots of 31" MTs on your 15" wire rims right?
Old 8th January 2013, 11:28   #23
BHPian

One thing which has not been noticed so far is the booster brakes which is not on any other classic. Seems the owner has gone for additional braking power.

Attaching pic of same and also of a stock vehicle (Tejas hope you dont mind posting your ex-classic's engine bay).
Rainmaker acquires a 1996 Mahindra Classic with Spoke Wheels-tejas1.jpg

My classic
Rainmaker acquires a 1996 Mahindra Classic with Spoke Wheels-20130101_1316332.jpg
RAINMAKER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2013, 11:32   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
One thing which has not been noticed so far is the booster brakes which is not on any other classic. Seems the owner has gone for additional braking power.
Pardon my ignorance. But I thought the black cylindrical box on the lower left was the vacuum powered boost brakes. What is this thing you have circled in red ink?
Old 8th January 2013, 11:50   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
3. What all is not correct as I see the photographs - snorkel must be removed and the original air intake restored on the air cleaner. This nonsense may have ruined the cylinder head. If required, please make a good snorkel, air pressure drop across the air cleander must not exceed 30mm of water column / grease nipple missing at pitman arm / steering stabilizer is not original, some nonsense is fitted, please get rid of it immediately / radiator overflow tank is not original, please get rid of it immediately / pintle hook is not as supplied to army but domestic CL340 classic never had pintle hook as OE fitment / long rubber boot on transfer case lever is not original / light on instrument panel is not original / front LH seat backrest adjuster cover is missing / wheelcaps are missing / horn fitment outside the grille is not original / 4 round rubbers below tailgate are not original / box on fender is not original / jerry can at side is not original / soft top is not original / earth cable fixing on manifold is not original, it should be on the chassis below the battery / aluminium superstructure is fitted the wrong way, the hoop must be at the back.
Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
1) Snorkel must be removed and the original air intake restored on the air cleaner - Will get this Done
2) Grease Nipple missing at pitman arm - Get this fixed

Trying to get the original one for the below
3) Steering stabilizer is not original
4) Radiator overflow tank is not original
5) long rubber boot on transfer case lever is not original
6) wheelcaps are missing
7) soft top is not original

8) light on instrument panel is not original - Guess there is no harm as it provides additional light for the dash area
9) front LH seat backrest adjuster cover is missing - Getting the seats back to shape, will talk to that same guy about this
10) horn fitment outside the grille is not original - No harm again. Letting it be for now
11) 4 round rubbers below tailgate are not original - No harm as it provides support to the tail gate
12) box on fender is not original - Yes, can serve as an utility box, however classic monogram may get hidden
13) jerry can at side is not original - Will be removed
14) earth cable fixing on manifold is not original, it should be on the chassis below the battery - Will get this fixed
15) aluminium superstructure is fitted the wrong way, the hoop must be at the back. - Could do with some additional Gyan on this

Apart from the parts mentioned above the following also are being ordered
1) Classic Monogram
2) 4 x 4 Monogram
3) Bumper Corners - Front & Rear
4) Indicator / Wiper Stalks
5) Zippered Foam Cover (for roll over bar)
6) Indicators (Front Side Fenders)
7) Bonnet Hook - 4 Hooks (Steel)
8) Wiper Blade
9) Pedal Rubbers
10) Mud Flaps

Modifications
1) Semi floating stays. No need for FFRA
2) Overdrive - No Need
3) LSD - No.
4) Diff Locks - Maybe
5) Aircon - At a later date.. Many threads regarding this. Need to figure out which is the best possible option

Accessories
1) High Lift Jack
2) Diff Guards
Old 8th January 2013, 11:52   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Pardon my ignorance. But I thought the black cylindrical box on the lower left was the vacuum powered boost brakes. What is this thing you have circled in red ink?

Samurai, that makes two of us ! "This thing" is what is additional on my classic and is "part" of the booster brakes ? Or am I missing something here..
Old 8th January 2013, 12:05   #27
Team-BHP Support

A small trivia... I don't know whether you know this.

You are the first member to create a Jeep thread on T-BHP. It didn't get more than 3 replies, all those who replied are moderators now. Your second Jeep thread is already lot longer.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...jeep-cj3b.html
Old 8th January 2013, 12:24   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
A small trivia... I don't know whether you know this.

You are the first member to create a Jeep thread on T-BHP. It didn't get more than 3 replies, all those who replied are moderators now. Your second Jeep thread is already lot longer.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...jeep-cj3b.html
I really didnt know mine was the first one on Jeeps. Thanks for the info.

Didnt get more than 3 replies - Guess back then adding photos was a lot more cumbersome process than it is now. So I had started a blog. I believe mine was the first of its kind (which later spawned many blogs)

http://cj3bpics.blogspot.in/

The blog (started in December 2004) drew a lot of attention and many Jeepers esp. CJ3B owners contacted me for information etc... Many joined the Jeep Thrills group after having come across the blog... Have helped many Bangalore Jeepers get their machines...

All those who replied are moderators. What else can I say guys "Congrats".
Old 8th January 2013, 12:51   #29
Senior - BHPian

Thats a EGR, good read here. Copyright - respective website owner and thread owner.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=25198
Old 8th January 2013, 16:06   #30
BHPian

Congrats Rain maker on THE CLASSIC.

No need to mention on my feelings on classic here;

Looks like that dream of mine will always be a dream... Hope one day can get to meet you in a OTR!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks