Re: Live Young, Live Free - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Axle View Post
DB Sir,

Thanks in advance.

Neelesh
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Neelesh - hello there! As you are from Pune and I work in Pune, let's catch up. I'll be delighted to meet you.
Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Neelesh,
I think fish-tailing is reduced because of 8J alloys as the 235 tyres look bigger on that so the foot print is increased.

I have discussed this issue with the friends who have shifted to 255 tyres, they have never experienced fish-tailing with there Thars.

But I will let the expert to share their views after TD.

Behram Sir,

We were supposed to meet you on last Thursday however Gajanan was quite busy with his work at Chakan. He is out on holiday this whole week, so we need plan the meet once he is back. I have Neelesh's number and will co-cordinate with him next week for the same.

See you soon.

Thanks,
Vishal
Old 28th November 2013, 15:50   #107
BHPian

Fed up of closing the holes on Thar, floor holes are closed, fitted rubber bedding on door panels etc. I was happy till yesterday's rain in Pune which resulted in this.

Live Young, Live Free - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4WD-image2851141184.jpg

Does this happens with every vehicle, didn't happened with my Estilo in last 7 yrs.
Old 29th November 2013, 00:03   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
Fed up of closing the holes on Thar, floor holes are closed, fitted rubber bedding on door panels etc. I was happy till yesterday's rain in Pune which resulted in this.
Hi, in Thars, the boot for the 4x4 lever tends to get loose allowing water/hot air to enter the cabin. I have seen some people use a plastic tie (like the ones we use to tie hub caps to steel wheels) around the boot to hold it tight. Try this and see if it helps.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2013, 09:43   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post

Dear Neelesh - hello there! As you are from Pune and I work in Pune, let's catch up. I'll be delighted to meet you.

Your question cannot be answered in isolation. It's not just a question of matching tracks. Of course a rectangle is better than a frustum of a cone. Steering geometry cannot be compromised, especially a parameter called "scrub radius". Change in wheel rim offset changes the scrub radius. This means that it changes the tire's operating envelope (locus) completely. In absence of an engineering layout defining jounce (suspension compressed) / rebound (suspension expanded) / full articulation (position of two diagonal wheels just off the ground when the other two are jacked up and vehicle is steered with gross vehicle weight load), even in the best case scenario, the locus of operation of the tire with changed scrub radius can only be speculated, isn't it? On equalizing the rear track, as the wheel bearing location remains unchanged, eccentric loading of the bearing will increase, affecting bearing load carrying capacity and design life. This is a semi-floating axle with one bearing. If the track has to be increased, it calls for a longer axle tube / axle shafts. Axle testing is itself a major assignment on rig / vehicles. Also, body articulation needs to be layout defined and tested. There is something called "coefficient of rolling resistance" also. Then the vehicle's unladen weight changes. If it gets into a different inertia class, then it gets into emissions testing for the great CMVR. Satisfied or you want more? Whew! .

99 vehicles out of 100 move on non-standard wheel rims and tires these days but that does not change engineering equations. Please PM me your mobile number, let's meet, I'll draw the layout and explain to you!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
If I am not wrong fish tail or tail swing is because of speed difference between rear left & rear right due to traction. At high speed this is more prominent on approaching bad patch suddenly. If this is correct then possibly neither alloys nor re-offset will correct it.

Please let me know if my evaluation is correct.

Regards.

Neelesh
Old 4th December 2013, 12:55   #110
BHPian

Dear All,

I know this post of my thread will be the saddest post in whole of the ownership thread, however, sometime you have to unwillingly put a full stop on some subjects in life.

I have decided to sell my Thar CRDe in couple of months depending on the kind of deals I get. There is nothing wrong with the vehicle but it’s with me. I am not a jeepster at all. I just fell in love with the looks but now can't live with it for some reason.

I have been using this jeep for last over one year and it’s always been a first key (not kick) start. The machine is amazing and made for a true jeepster.

I made a mistake by trying to make the jeep an SUV or of a similar sort, and failed after spending around 70 K. Not only this, but I had further planned to spend around 1 L more only for the HT however changed the decision due to the uncertainty of the satisfaction and happiness that one should get after spending so much. So instead I will let her go to its perfect match (he he..)

I will post an add with all the details in classified in few days.

MODs: I will update you once the deal is closed so that you can close the thread accordingly.

I appreciate everybody who helped me to own and run the legendary Thar CRDe for last one year.

Thanks,
Vishal
Thar4x4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 13:09   #111
BANNED

Quote:
Dear All,

I am not a jeepster at all. I just fell in love with the looks but now can't live with it for some reason.
My first reaction.

## I have been through this stage --- happens , not a big deal --- a Jeep is a wonderful vehicle which can give you life time memories.

## yes it has its own niggles , but if you survive it on daily basis (yes its reality ) --- makes a wonderful companion

### have you thought about WHAT, if not the Jeep --- tell me the alternatives, which can really take its place --- there are NONE

### fortunately your generation has a more finished , highway friendly vehicle , its more user friendly & niggles free compared to its back generations

#### I have survived very troublesome vehicle , compared to you ---

SUSTAIN IT & dont waste the chance.

Sudarshan

Note from Support. Please format your posts properly before posting. This one's an eyesore. Thanks!

Last edited by aah78 : 7th December 2013 at 00:46. Reason: See note.
Sudarshan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 13:28   #112
KMT
BHPian

Mate
I feel for you.
Its not that you are not a Jeeper, its just that in India people sell you a C$#p vehicle and give you gyan on scrub radius and body articulation and CVMR and whatnot in an attempt to dazzle you with knowledge and science and make you feel like it was your fault for spending hard earned money on buying this contraption.

I bought aThar second hand from someone like yourself so did not have to pay the current 8.85L OTR joke price in Karnataka.

Its primary purpose is to haul manure and transport labourers.
Now on days that the Driver does not turn up to work I dont have to drive the old DI jeep and can do hauling and carting myself in an A/c Thar.

Dont feel guilty that you bought it, someone conned you into buying it through slick marketing and lack of alternatives.

Anyway sorry to vent my spleen on your thread which has been quite an interesting read so far.

Regards
Thimmaya
KMT is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 13:34   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
My first reaction.

## I have been through this stage --- happens , not a big deal --- a Jeep is a wonderful vehicle which can give you life time memories.

## yes it has its own niggles , but if you survive it on daily basis (yes its reality ) --- makes a wonderful companion

### have you thought about WHAT, if not the Jeep --- tell me the alternatives, which can really take its place --- there are NONE

### fortunately your generation has a more finished , highway friendly vehicle , its more user friendly & niggles free compared to its back generations

#### I have survived very troublesome vehicle , compared to you ---

SUSTAIN IT & dont waste the chance.

Sudarshan
Raju bhai,

We have talked about this on multiple occasions and you know me very well. Here are my thoughts.

##Yes it is but in a year I thought of parting with it twice so there is something which is not matching.

## There are zero niggles and I tried hard to live with it as it is for a year. I have clocked 12000 km in a 11 months.

###Nothing will take its place, will drive Estilo which was backup keeping in mind about this situation while purchasing Thar.

I tried hard to sustain it but sometime you can't control your and family expectation about comfort security etc.

Edit: Also I have no regret, guilt for this as I tried, I owned and now I know that this is not for me.

Thanks,
Vishal

Last edited by Thar4x4 : 4th December 2013 at 13:36.
Old 4th December 2013, 13:59   #114
BHPian

Dear Vishal,

It's news. And it is sad news.

Regards.

Neelesh
Floating Axle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 19:08   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

........I have decided to sell my Thar CRDe in couple of months depending on the kind of deals I get. There is nothing wrong with the vehicle but it’s with me. I am not a jeepster at all. I just fell in love with the looks but now can't live with it for some reason......

.........Vishal
There are hormonal treatments and vitamin supplements that will help you get over this difficult phase....don't act too rashly. Get more sun.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 4th December 2013 at 19:10.
DirtyDan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 05:49   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
I have decided to sell my Thar CRDe in couple of months depending on the kind of deals I get. There is nothing wrong with the vehicle but it’s with me. I am not a jeepster at all. I just fell in love with the looks but now can't live with it for some reason.
Hi Bro,

A Mahindra Jeep is a crude peice of machinery and the Mahindra Thar is a much better Mahindra Jeep. End of the day it is a Mahindra Jeep and best used as a second recreational vehicle.

I went for a Thar DI as my jeep sees more rough stuff than on a daily basis. It is great for the rough stuff, but sometimes when I want to take off on a longer journey the DI engine sucks really big time. So, I had been toying with getting a CRDe also for my long trips. But I thought about it and felt it was better to get a more modern compact AWD SUV than get a Thar CRDe. For the looks there are too many trade-offs including safety. I got sick and tired of waiting for the 4WD duster so decided to get a used X-Trail. Decent vehicles with the older shape (< 2009) can be had for about 7 lakhs and new shape (>2009) can be had from 13 Lakhs. It gives you just about the same off-roadability as the Thar in a much much modern package. It obviously doesn't give you the ego boost and street cred (rough and tumble image) a Thar CRDe does, but I am past that stage.

Anyways good luck with your decision.
4x4addict is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 06:08   #117
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
Mate
I feel for you. ===
forums are funny things , we guess things sitting miles away. Yet Sir you have No Idea what the real problem is, had it been so simple as you described .
I wish it had.

Quote:
Its primary purpose is to haul manure and transport labourers.
So its your version of Jeep, its was not his

Quote:
Dont feel guilty that you bought it, someone conned you into buying it through slick marketing and lack of alternatives.

Anyway sorry to vent my spleen on your thread which has been quite an interesting read so far.

Regards
Thimmaya
Again as I said before, had it been so simple.

Yesterday I had a dinner with him & could read a lot without having much exchange of words on this topic.

As said in earlier posts I had been through similar situations, but had anyone conned me for a Jeep? NO there were no forums, no net & NO Gyan to get impressed with. The company was selling the vehicle to haul labour & I made something else out of it. Its not for everyone for sure.

@ Thimmaya, your post was completely OT, you could though make it more meaningful at " why I wont buy a ..."

Anyways, You dont draw conclusions when a marriage does not work, its as simple as that

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
There are hormonal treatments and vitamin supplements that will help you get over this difficult phase....don't act too rashly. Get more sun.
Wish this magic pill which works for many of us had worked here. It worked with me many times.

Sudarshan

Last edited by Sudarshan : 5th December 2013 at 06:15.
Sudarshan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 22:36   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
Mate
I feel for you.
Its not that you are not a Jeeper, its just that in India people sell you a C$#p vehicle and give you gyan on scrub radius and body articulation and CVMR and whatnot in an attempt to dazzle you with knowledge and science and make you feel like it was your fault for spending hard earned money on buying this contraption.

I bought aThar second hand from someone like yourself so did not have to pay the current 8.85L OTR joke price in Karnataka.

Regards
Thimmaya
Hey KTM,

Thanks for your post however as I mentioned the issue is not with Jeep its with me, I am expecting SUV features from it which is definitely wrong. I don't want to create a false impression for new buyers, I shared my view about vehicle so that it will help to someone like me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Axle View Post
Dear Vishal,

It's news. And it is sad news.

Regards.

Neelesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Hi Bro,

A Mahindra Jeep is a crude peice of machinery and the Mahindra Thar is a much better Mahindra Jeep. End of the day it is a Mahindra Jeep and best used as a second recreational vehicle.

Anyways good luck with your decision.
Yes Tini, I was well aware about this at the time of buying however looks like I am not backing my own decision now. Thanks for the advice it will definitely help me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Yes Dan, I had consultation from 3 Doctors yesterday and today, the appointment went on for 4 long hours with 2 masala dosa, 1 Idali sambar, 1 Idali vada sambar and then tea and coffee . Additionally one doctor called me from Kolkata leaving his work aside, talked to me for 20 minutes just for Jeep love.

I am feeling better now. The good news is I am buying a 1000 Rs vehicle cover tomorrow which will fit Thar and will bring old faithful Estilo on road for sometime.

Lets see how these doctors's treatment works.

Thanks,
Vishal
Old 7th December 2013, 00:43   #119

Note from Support: Post deleted.

Last edited by aah78 : 7th December 2013 at 00:48. Reason: Please use the classifieds section for Buy/Sell posts. Thanks!
Old 8th December 2013, 22:46   #120
BHPian

Updates:

I followed the advice of my Jeep friends and parked the Thar for this weekend. Went on 300 km ride with family in Estilo. voilà! Tt worked.

I think I am perfectly tuned for Thar now, so faced some issue in Estlio like leg room, seating position, pick up, small steering wheel however after some km I made myself comfortable.

So now as decided I am going to use Estilo when travelling with family and Thar when alone or with wife.

Thanks to all the veterans for your valuable advice !

Thanks,
Vishal.
Thar4x4 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks